• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:47
CEST 02:47
KST 09:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8180 users

How do foreigners view US politics?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 51 52 53 Next
_romantic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States455 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-18 11:50:04
November 03 2010 21:00 GMT
#1
Mod Edit: Can everyone please discuss how foreigner view US politics and not the politics themselves? Thanks.

The US loves to commentate on the politics of countries elsewhere, but we rarely hear how other people think about US politics. This is not to say, of course, that other countries don't talk about or think about US politics--in fact, in China, they created full-fledged animated movies about US politics.

Please see below, courtesy of Next Media:




How does your country view US politics? Is there much discussion at all? Americans, what do you want to explain about your political system to the rest of the world?
Jaedong beats other players. Bisu beats other players, in PL. Flash beats Starcraft.
So no fek
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3001 Posts
November 03 2010 21:03 GMT
#2
That video is the greatest thing ever.
#1 Shuttle fan - TeamLiquid CJ Entusman #36 BW4lyfe
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-03 21:06:17
November 03 2010 21:05 GMT
#3
Living in Canada I see all of the US news and politics, and I'll tell you right now the way I and most Canadians see US politics is quite simple - generally the same as ours, except the campaigns run for eons *when compared to a Canadian campaign*. Most campaigns here are about 1-3 months depending on election type, in the US it seems as though the campaigning goes on for about 18 months.
i-bonjwa
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
November 03 2010 21:06 GMT
#4
I find it absurd to the point of amusement until I remember the global position of the US and then I die a little inside. The importance of religion in American politics (how is abortion an important issue for anyone anywhere ever?!?!?!) and a Cold War fear of socialism are rather quaint from a European perspective.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Krigwin
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1130 Posts
November 03 2010 21:06 GMT
#5
What, no subs?

[image loading]

darksidemoon
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)25 Posts
November 03 2010 21:07 GMT
#6

Every country has the government they deserve
You know what I mean.
Tempest186
Profile Joined September 2010
79 Posts
November 03 2010 21:07 GMT
#7
ROFL that video is epic!

On a serious note, I'm Canadian, and US politics scares the hell out of me...
Deleted_143
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia256 Posts
November 03 2010 21:09 GMT
#8
--- Nuked ---
domovoi
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1478 Posts
November 03 2010 21:09 GMT
#9
Actually, the US never talks about politics outside of the US (I had no idea how parliamentary systems worked until I had to do a presentation on it "for work"). And foreign countries talk about US politics all the time, which is why US approval rates worldwide went up so dramatically after Obama's election. The US political system gets the most press coverage by far.

Finally, that video was made in Taiwan, it's a little awkward to call it China.
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
November 03 2010 21:10 GMT
#10
I wouldn't generalize what my country thinks about US politics. I'll just deliver my opinion.

US politics do get some media attention here in Germany, especially around voting time. General media trend here seems to be "Obama and the Good Guys" vs. "The Batshit Insane Republicans and their Wacko Friends". Some of the people we hear from across the great pond - Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, that preacher who wants Obama to die - make our most die hard conservative politicians look like harmless left wing first semester politics students.

Personally, I don't know enough about the US political system so I won't claim to be able to judge it. My personal impression is that image-wise, Obama is the best thing that could have happened to the US after the desastrous Bush era. Germany's own experience with the financial crisis shows me that the current goverment has little to no impact on how the economy and stuff develops, so Obama can probably neither be blamed nor praised for whatever happens to the US ecenomy. I like his ideas regarding health care etc., and I don't really get how people can protest against things that are a welcome standard here in Europe.

What I'm very sad about is the number of extremist views and people spreading them. I mentioned that preacher who wants Obama to die. Then there's those tea party guys who aren't actually making politics, but just want to wreak havoc for the sake of it (that's my impression). And the whole issue with political ads which are so aggressive that they'd probably get sued immediately if they'd broadcast that in Germany.
Tempest186
Profile Joined September 2010
79 Posts
November 03 2010 21:10 GMT
#11
On November 04 2010 06:05 SichuanPanda wrote:
Living in Canada I see all of the US news and politics, and I'll tell you right now the way I and most Canadians see US politics is quite simple - generally the same as ours, except the campaigns run for eons *when compared to a Canadian campaign*. Most campaigns here are about 1-3 months depending on election type, in the US it seems as though the campaigning goes on for about 18 months.


I'm going to have to disagree with you champ...Canadian politics is nothing like that of the US. The extreme partisanship in the US, with both the far right and left constantly mudslinging each other is fairly foreign to a country like Canada, whose entire culture is based on feigning politeness lol. The major Canadian political parties are almost both moderate, with slight left and right leaning tendencies. They in no way reflect the deep political divide that is currently destroying the fabric of American government. Meh, just my two sense...
RedTerror
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
New Zealand742 Posts
November 03 2010 21:13 GMT
#12
I don't understand conservatives, maybe because this country is so liberal.
Xiron
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1233 Posts
November 03 2010 21:16 GMT
#13
My two cents from Germany:

What I get to hear from your politics is for example the vote on gay marriage. It seems as there are really people and politicans who think it's something wrong with it. I'm not gay in any kind, but why would I even think about what others do with other guys when they live together?
An other thing was the Oil Catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico. So what did your politicans do? If I remember correctly, they pressured BP in some kind of way, but it didnt change the time it took the leak to be plugged.
Also, why do you have to have signs of McCain or Wayne Whatever hanging everywhere you go. I mean I don't live in a city, but imo it's much too much.
And last I think that your politicians dont ever do what they promise, but all those fat old americans are cheering for them like rockstars. Are they that blind?
"The way of life can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way. " - Charlie Chaplin
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
November 03 2010 21:20 GMT
#14
I'm torn between on the policies. On one hand they are really funny to watch. On the flip side things that happen there are kind of scary. And I generally dislike the "American Idol" style elections have started to get.

Shockk pretty much hit the nail on the head.
SweetNJoshSauce
Profile Joined July 2010
United States468 Posts
November 03 2010 21:20 GMT
#15
Those videos are too good
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-03 21:22:21
November 03 2010 21:21 GMT
#16
My 两分钱 (2 Cents in RMB (China) get the joke? ahahahaha)
What I hear is that the people give too much crap about politics, we hold American politics in low regard, actually we hold politics at all in low regard, have the people run the country like they been doing, they are doing an ok job at it (the people up there aren't phenomenal but they get things done).

Also we think Bush is stupid.
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
Fwmeh
Profile Joined April 2008
1286 Posts
November 03 2010 21:22 GMT
#17
I wish it was possible to have serious discussions about politics on the internet. Now all I can say is that I feel that US politics is based on a rather marked ignorance about how much of the western word works (and I'm not talking about foreign relations related stuff). That make many of their claims regarding how the world work seem kinda odd.
A parser for things is a function from strings to lists of pairs of things and strings
SlyinZ
Profile Joined August 2010
France199 Posts
November 03 2010 21:23 GMT
#18
(Its not a troll post).
I see the US politics as a "TV show" , a illusion for make citizens of USA believe they are free, and that they can have a impact on their country.
Slakter
Profile Joined January 2010
Sweden1947 Posts
November 03 2010 21:24 GMT
#19
Protoss, can't live with em', can't kill em'.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 03 2010 21:27 GMT
#20
I think there are polls where they let European citizens choose between Obama and McCain for president, and Obama gets like 80% of the vote. Dutch media also view and often show the Democrats as reasonable and the Republicans as insane.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
1 2 3 4 5 51 52 53 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 110
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 464
Bale 32
League of Legends
Doublelift4435
Other Games
summit1g7874
JimRising 525
ViBE245
Livibee204
KnowMe164
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick679
BasetradeTV198
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1279
• Shiphtur544
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 13m
Patches Events
14h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 13m
OSC
22h 13m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.