• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:22
CEST 02:22
KST 09:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8118 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 106

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 104 105 106 107 108 383 Next
biology]major
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2253 Posts
March 14 2012 03:09 GMT
#2101
On March 14 2012 06:26 Boblhead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2012 06:13 biology]major wrote:
Ok, mech keyboard virgin here. Right now I am using a really crappy non mech dell keyboard. I have had enough of it and am willing to spend the 100 to get a solid mech keyboard, simply cannot have long ladder sessions because of finger strain. I do not care about the clicky sounds (although I guess its a bonus) but I want comfort over everything else. After doing some basic research it seems brown switches are ideal for this.

The zowie celeritas seems to be my top choice atm.

Any one have any suggestions or advice?
Basically I want to be able to grind many ladder games efficiently and comfortably


if your located in the US, Ducky/ leopold/ Rosewills are your best bet. Zowies are meh to me, more along the line of g6v2 quality.

Duckies range from $50/80/100/120/150
Rosewills range from $99/109
Leopolds range from $89/99/109

my top pick of these 3 are leopolds then rosewills then duckys.

If you play alot of RTS then browns/reds are preferred.
if you play MMO/FPS then black/blues preferred.


thank you for the suggestions. After hearing about the spacebar being weird on celeritas, I decided to go with a leopold brown switch board. Hope it feels great and works well

Question.?
Arghmyliver
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1081 Posts
March 14 2012 04:13 GMT
#2102
On March 13 2012 14:19 exousia_7 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2012 13:17 Arghmyliver wrote:
I just purchased a Cherry Brand Keyboard with MX Blues. Solid Construction. Efficient design. Not frilly in any way. I love it. NKRO with the included PS2 Adapter. Do yourself a favor and save 50 bucks. Buy this keyboard.


Finally someone else with a Cherry brand keyboard... which model did you get?


This one - http://www.provantage.com/cherry-g803000lsceu2~ACHER0K0.htm

It's pretty kick-ass. Also - the MX-Blues give me retaliation options for my ever-copulating neighbors. TAKE THAT SQUEAKY BEDSPRINGS!

An interesting side note - I consider children to be the worst STD.
Now witness their attempts to fly from tree to tree. Notice they do not so much fly as plummet.
Arghmyliver
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1081 Posts
March 14 2012 04:15 GMT
#2103
On March 14 2012 06:26 Boblhead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2012 06:13 biology]major wrote:
Ok, mech keyboard virgin here. Right now I am using a really crappy non mech dell keyboard. I have had enough of it and am willing to spend the 100 to get a solid mech keyboard, simply cannot have long ladder sessions because of finger strain. I do not care about the clicky sounds (although I guess its a bonus) but I want comfort over everything else. After doing some basic research it seems brown switches are ideal for this.

The zowie celeritas seems to be my top choice atm.

Any one have any suggestions or advice?
Basically I want to be able to grind many ladder games efficiently and comfortably


if your located in the US, Ducky/ leopold/ Rosewills are your best bet. Zowies are meh to me, more along the line of g6v2 quality.

Duckies range from $50/80/100/120/150
Rosewills range from $99/109
Leopolds range from $89/99/109

my top pick of these 3 are leopolds then rosewills then duckys.

If you play alot of RTS then browns/reds are preferred.
if you play MMO/FPS then black/blues preferred.


Look into Cherry Brand as well.
Now witness their attempts to fly from tree to tree. Notice they do not so much fly as plummet.
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 04:45:31
March 14 2012 04:18 GMT
#2104
On March 13 2012 13:17 Arghmyliver wrote:

It's pretty kick-ass. Also - the MX-Blues give me retaliation options for my ever-copulating neighbors. TAKE THAT SQUEAKY BEDSPRINGS!

An interesting side note - I consider children to be the worst STD.


Same model I got with blue keys. I actually changed the switches to brown before, but I still like blues best so I changed them back.
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
March 14 2012 05:16 GMT
#2105
Ey, gonna go buy a keyboard in a random tech mart in Beijing. Anyone know of a fairly comprehensive test (or set of tests) I can do on the spot to make sure it's ok? I'd prefer one that isn't limited to PS/2, as I don't have anything portable with a PS/2 port.

Or is just banging every key gonna be sufficient?
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 05:27:22
March 14 2012 05:18 GMT
#2106
On March 14 2012 09:24 FakePromise wrote:
Oh shit, 80 bucks for red switches. So tempting. I hear rosewill's keycaps wear out fast though and I'm not sure about the build quality of the keyboard. Can anyone vouch for rosewill?
I can, I have an RK9000 (from before there were different types. Mine has blue switches.) and it's held up incredibly well the last 7 months I've had it (The spacebar squeaked at first but stopped after a couple weeks). My S key is starting to fade a little but other than that it's fine. I love it. I might order one with brown switches next.

It's noticeably higher quality than my old Steelseries 6GV2, which I paid the same amount for. On the Steelseries I could accidentally knock keys off (I would never put that thing upside down or I would spend the next hour finding all my keys). With my Rosewill, I would need a tool to take the keys off, they're on really tight.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
March 14 2012 05:40 GMT
#2107
I've been leaning towards the Das silent Model S, but I don't feel like I can justify the difference in price between it and the RK9000 unless the thing lasts a decade or so. Is this reasonable to expect, or will I need a new one 2-3 years down the line? Also, is there much difference in feel between a brown switch and a red switch? I know that hypothetically the brown will have a sharper change as the signal is about to be sent while the red is fairly smooth, but I can't really understand what that means or how much of a difference it will make to a first time mechanical keyboard user. BTW thanks a lot everyone!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
March 14 2012 05:47 GMT
#2108
On March 14 2012 14:40 Mordanis wrote:I know that hypothetically the brown will have a sharper change as the signal is about to be sent while the red is fairly smooth, but I can't really understand what that means or how much of a difference it will make to a first time mechanical keyboard user. BTW thanks a lot everyone!

A red switch is completely smooth as you press it down. A brown switch will have a physical (and audible) 'click' when it activates as you press it down.

See the force diagrams:

Red:
[image loading]

Brown:

[image loading]

The bump in that diagram for the brown switch is something you can feel.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Joedaddy
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1948 Posts
March 14 2012 09:19 GMT
#2109
I have to do most of my gaming at night after my wife and kid go to bed. Is a mechanical keyboard going to be so loud that it might disturb a light sleeper?

I might be the minority on TL, but TL is the minority everywhere else.
Boblhead
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2577 Posts
March 14 2012 09:26 GMT
#2110
On March 14 2012 18:19 Joedaddy wrote:
I have to do most of my gaming at night after my wife and kid go to bed. Is a mechanical keyboard going to be so loud that it might disturb a light sleeper?


blues are not the switch to get, your looking at reds/blacks for little to no sound. Also you can get some landing pads that get rid of more sound. Otherwise just stick to rubber.
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
March 14 2012 09:48 GMT
#2111
On March 14 2012 18:19 Joedaddy wrote:
I have to do most of my gaming at night after my wife and kid go to bed. Is a mechanical keyboard going to be so loud that it might disturb a light sleeper?



If you are in the same room, probably. If there is at least a door between you and them then it is entirely feasible, choose the right switch (not blue) and maybe look into o-rings or landing pads..
dala
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 09:56:56
March 14 2012 09:53 GMT
#2112
Just got my Qpad MK 50 with custom Cherry MX Brown switches. Since I use it not for gaming, but at my work place, I wanted to have the tactile feedback of the brown switches, but not the audible clicking of the blue.

The tactile bump does not make any noticible sound when typing. Instead most of the noise comes from when the key caps bottom out and when they slams back into place. The key caps seem to act as resonance chambers. I'm strongly considering to get some o-rings, which should help cushioning the landing and add mass to the key caps so that they don't "rattle" when they are released.

Is the consensus that the WASD o-rings are the best and most convenient option? It seems a bit pricy to pay $20 with shipping for 120 rubber rings. Any suggestion of where I could find alternatives easier and cheaper in Sweden would be helpful.

Would it be possible to craft some DIY rings from rubber bands? I'm also entertaining the idea of cutting up some old headphone cables or something similar and try to jam them in there.
dr.shrinker
Profile Joined June 2009
Norway369 Posts
March 14 2012 10:14 GMT
#2113
On March 13 2012 19:20 dr.shrinker wrote:
How does the mediakeys on Steelseries 7G work with broodwar/SC2? I've noticed they are located F1 -> F6. Is it easy and quick to change the usage of these keys ingame? I change songs/volume when i play and i use these keys a LOT while playing to jump between locations, so I just want to know before i spend 175$ on a keyboard.


Anyone?
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
March 14 2012 10:36 GMT
#2114
Is there any exercise or technique for not bottoming out keys? Just practice with the keyboard?

The MX Blues are so easy to press but I keep bottoming out.
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 10:43:23
March 14 2012 10:42 GMT
#2115
On March 14 2012 19:14 dr.shrinker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2012 19:20 dr.shrinker wrote:
How does the mediakeys on Steelseries 7G work with broodwar/SC2? I've noticed they are located F1 -> F6. Is it easy and quick to change the usage of these keys ingame? I change songs/volume when i play and i use these keys a LOT while playing to jump between locations, so I just want to know before i spend 175$ on a keyboard.


Anyone?


To use the multimedia keys you will have to first press the Fn (SteelSeries) key next to left control and then press F1~F6. If you want to change songs and use the multimedia keys in-game it will depend on how fast you are at controlling your media with those keys. If you get used to the keyboard in terms of its layout and design, I'm sure you will develop reactionary responses to press Fn + F1~F6 fast enough while playing Broodwar/SC2.
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
March 14 2012 10:44 GMT
#2116
If Blues are the least favored for gaming, why are they the most common switch?
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
March 14 2012 10:50 GMT
#2117
On March 14 2012 19:44 Zzoram wrote:
If Blues are the least favored for gaming, why are they the most common switch?


They're not the "most common" switch. Nowadays all switches are used pretty much around the same as each other. The blue switch was designed to have a tactile feeling to make one's typing experience more comfortable. Some find it good for gaming, and some don't. That's just how it is.
Tanukki
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland579 Posts
March 14 2012 10:51 GMT
#2118
On March 14 2012 19:14 dr.shrinker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2012 19:20 dr.shrinker wrote:
How does the mediakeys on Steelseries 7G work with broodwar/SC2? I've noticed they are located F1 -> F6. Is it easy and quick to change the usage of these keys ingame? I change songs/volume when i play and i use these keys a LOT while playing to jump between locations, so I just want to know before i spend 175$ on a keyboard.


Anyone?


They're only mediakeys when you hold down the button with the SS logo, which takes the place of the left windows key.
dr.shrinker
Profile Joined June 2009
Norway369 Posts
March 14 2012 10:58 GMT
#2119
On March 14 2012 19:42 exousia_7 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2012 19:14 dr.shrinker wrote:
On March 13 2012 19:20 dr.shrinker wrote:
How does the mediakeys on Steelseries 7G work with broodwar/SC2? I've noticed they are located F1 -> F6. Is it easy and quick to change the usage of these keys ingame? I change songs/volume when i play and i use these keys a LOT while playing to jump between locations, so I just want to know before i spend 175$ on a keyboard.


Anyone?


To use the multimedia keys you will have to first press the Fn (SteelSeries) key next to left control and then press F1~F6. If you want to change songs and use the multimedia keys in-game it will depend on how fast you are at controlling your media with those keys. If you get used to the keyboard in terms of its layout and design, I'm sure you will develop reactionary responses to press Fn + F1~F6 fast enough while playing Broodwar/SC2.


Yeah, I guess I would, but are there any other good mechanical keyboards with dedicated mediakeys? I'm brand new in terms of knowledge regarding this, just using a cheap 30$ keyboard now.
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-14 11:17:05
March 14 2012 11:15 GMT
#2120
On March 14 2012 19:58 dr.shrinker wrote:

Yeah, I guess I would, but are there any other good mechanical keyboards with dedicated mediakeys? I'm brand new in terms of knowledge regarding this, just using a cheap 30$ keyboard now.


If you just want a keyboard with multimedia keys, then I wouldn't suggest getting the 7G. And if you're getting the 7G I suggest you just get 6Gv2 which is pretty much the same just no audio & USB ports and no arm rest.

There are many mechanical keyboards with media keys. But the first thing you want to know when it comes to buying mechanical keyboards is what switch do you prefer? Have you tried them before?

And another thing, are you willing to order them online and pay for international shipping or are you going to go to a local store to buy?
Prev 1 104 105 106 107 108 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings36
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 152
NeuroSwarm 61
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11010
Rain 1947
Artosis 564
Bale 17
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox596
Mew2King232
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1059
Other Games
summit1g9555
Day[9].tv677
shahzam607
JimRising 502
C9.Mang0228
PiGStarcraft224
ArmadaUGS62
ViBE58
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV208
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream96
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv677
• Scarra571
• Shiphtur187
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12h 38m
OSC
21h 38m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 9h
Online Event
1d 10h
FEL
1d 15h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.