• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:57
CEST 23:57
KST 06:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7955 users

Becoming God - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
159 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
March 24 2016 12:58 GMT
#101
nice article, wrong section as always

How flash became a top player has zero relevance to Starcraft 2.
Broodwar for life!
kawoq
Profile Joined November 2005
Guatemala357 Posts
March 24 2016 13:05 GMT
#102
Great read, thank you for the memories...
"It is not a shameful thing to be unable to reach the goal. It's becoming afraid and running away, even before considering the fact that the road is long and rough, that is truly cowardly." by - Lim Yo Hwan aka SlayerS_Boxer from "Crazy as me"
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
March 24 2016 14:37 GMT
#103
Wow, that was an excellent write-up. Reading about NaDa actually gave me goosebumps.
THM
Profile Joined November 2010
Bulgaria1131 Posts
March 24 2016 23:38 GMT
#104
First time I come here on TL for months and I see this thread.

I had a blast reading it, Flash is awesome!
Air2gear
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
177 Posts
March 26 2016 12:33 GMT
#105
I loved this write up. I became a fan of Flash at the end of 2009, seeing his run in 2010 live was just unbelievable.

He was invincible.
highsis
Profile Joined August 2011
259 Posts
March 27 2016 20:43 GMT
#106
We have to consider the fact that it's easier to be dominant as a pioneer in any competition because later there are a lot tougher competitors. A great write-up.
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
March 27 2016 20:49 GMT
#107
Back in the day, I was a Jaedong fan, and of course very frustrated with Flash's dominance -_-
Hats off though... and to you too Wax, a good read.

I bet report on Jaedong's strong points would also be a good read and I'll take that idea as comfort ^_^
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
March 27 2016 21:01 GMT
#108
On March 24 2016 06:31 [F_]aths wrote:
As much as I respect, yes, revere Flash. He is not the greatest StarCraft: Brood War player of all time. Not even Jaedong is.

It is JulyZerg.

haha! internet high-five to you!
July vs Best OSL finals is etched in my memory forever, was able to watch it live + Show Spoiler [non-live] +
set 1 link (LOUD intro, beware)
.
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
March 28 2016 00:01 GMT
#109
Ah, the raw and pure graphics.

That OSL was shortly before I began to follow Starcraft. When I couldn't get enough and watched old VODs (most of them in bad 240p resolution) I was most impressed with July, because he often seems to win with the force of will.

Of course, Flash is an outstanding player as well. I watched the MSL livestream when the power outage occurred. I watched (from VODs) the GOMtv invitational which Flash won. And many random games. Good old days
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
Caladbolg
Profile Joined March 2011
2855 Posts
March 28 2016 05:32 GMT
#110
Flash... what would have happened indeed, if SC2 didn't enter the picture? I was really hoping for him to reclaim the best terran title since it felt he wasn't 100% when Fantasy started dominating.
"I don't like the word prodigy at all. To me prodigy sounds like a person who was 'gifted' all these things rather than a person who earned all these talents by hard training... I must train harder to reach my goal." - Flash
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3774 Posts
March 28 2016 19:07 GMT
#111
On March 28 2016 14:32 Caladbolg wrote:
Flash... what would have happened indeed, if SC2 didn't enter the picture? I was really hoping for him to reclaim the best terran title since it felt he wasn't 100% when Fantasy started dominating.

I'm pretty sure every player's career has it's ifs. If MSL started the same year BoxeR accumulate more than just 3 titles between the two leagues? Would YellOw win something? If maps were more balanced, would sAviOr be even more dominating during his era? If NaDa wasn't hit by family tragedy in the middle of his career, would he transcend the limit of 3 wins? etc.
Caladbolg
Profile Joined March 2011
2855 Posts
March 29 2016 06:43 GMT
#112
On March 29 2016 04:07 nimdil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2016 14:32 Caladbolg wrote:
Flash... what would have happened indeed, if SC2 didn't enter the picture? I was really hoping for him to reclaim the best terran title since it felt he wasn't 100% when Fantasy started dominating.

I'm pretty sure every player's career has it's ifs. If MSL started the same year BoxeR accumulate more than just 3 titles between the two leagues? Would YellOw win something? If maps were more balanced, would sAviOr be even more dominating during his era? If NaDa wasn't hit by family tragedy in the middle of his career, would he transcend the limit of 3 wins? etc.


If Bisu wasn't so pretty, would he have won an OSL?
"I don't like the word prodigy at all. To me prodigy sounds like a person who was 'gifted' all these things rather than a person who earned all these talents by hard training... I must train harder to reach my goal." - Flash
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
March 30 2016 11:14 GMT
#113
On March 29 2016 15:43 Caladbolg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2016 04:07 nimdil wrote:
On March 28 2016 14:32 Caladbolg wrote:
Flash... what would have happened indeed, if SC2 didn't enter the picture? I was really hoping for him to reclaim the best terran title since it felt he wasn't 100% when Fantasy started dominating.

I'm pretty sure every player's career has it's ifs. If MSL started the same year BoxeR accumulate more than just 3 titles between the two leagues? Would YellOw win something? If maps were more balanced, would sAviOr be even more dominating during his era? If NaDa wasn't hit by family tragedy in the middle of his career, would he transcend the limit of 3 wins? etc.


If Bisu wasn't so pretty, would he have won an OSL?

According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
FalconHoof
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada183 Posts
March 31 2016 03:39 GMT
#114
Thank you so much for writing this... As someone who wasn't aware of the Korean pro scene while it was happening, this sort of reminiscent shit was amazing for me to read. I love Flash, but only after the fact; I hopped on the bandwagon late. The depth oh my Lord, you did an amazing job it took me like 2+ hours to read all this and go through the wiki links and see things like that power outage loss vs Jaedong that I never would have known were it not for you brave internet knight.
Masturbation this good deserves it's own foreplay.
HawaiianPig
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada5155 Posts
April 04 2016 05:20 GMT
#115
As a rabid Bisu fan, I rooted against Flash relentlessly. And yet, when I look back on it all, I just can't deny that Flash was the best to ever play the game. With Brood War sidelined to its current role esports, he may forever remain the best to play the game.

Excellent article as always, Wax.
AdministratorNot actually Hawaiian.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
April 04 2016 07:20 GMT
#116
flash vs power outage.

natsukashi
Demand2k
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Norway875 Posts
April 07 2016 17:23 GMT
#117
Nice article about my favorite esports era, Flash was a true beast,
Mojzii1
Profile Joined March 2016
30 Posts
April 07 2016 17:53 GMT
#118
On April 04 2016 14:20 HawaiianPig wrote:
As a rabid Bisu fan, I rooted against Flash relentlessly. And yet, when I look back on it all, I just can't deny that Flash was the best to ever play the game. With Brood War sidelined to its current role esports, he may forever remain the best to play the game.

Excellent article as always, Wax.


Well broodwar broodwar popularity hits back up again day by day, you can clearly see that Flash alone ususally reaches up to 20k viewers and i think he peaked at 28 k about. Starcraft 2 tournaments dont have those numbers nowadays. ICCUP popularity incrasing. Well it's not surprising. Blizzard kinda f*ckd up great potential of starcraft 2 and made this game way too easy and less challenging (balance plays a big role too). Nowadays watching sterams of players playing at grandmaster level is nothing special. While watching flash playing broodwar is like wow how can he do that.
Blizzard best shot is to finally relase Starcraft remastered, or maybe slowly shift the direction of which starcraft 2 is heading, because right now every single patch makes the game too easy. Pylon cannons, nydus worms, Liberators, ravagers...
Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-07 23:29:02
April 07 2016 23:27 GMT
#119
I have to admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Flash initially. I did not change my mind till his amazing streak around his first OSL title. At that time I found the way the kid won games just jaw-dropping. It just seemed like he was playing a different game. And so I became an avid fan of Flash.

But then came the bad days... Flash would steamroll average players but would always lose to top dogs in proleague, not to mention his early exits in starleagues... I still saw the flashes of brilliance here and there but there was no consistency. I would still wake up (or stay up) to watch him play in proleague/starleague but it was often disheartening to see him lose again and again...

And then came the memorable 2009/2010 season. If I remember correctly, Flash started it by winning GomTV Season 3 against Iris, and it brought some hope to me. it definitely boosted his confidence. But what followed was unbelievable. Anybody remembers the Winner's League? Flash would come up at freaking all-kill top teams, one after the other. And the ease with which he was doing it against top pros was unbelievable. It seriously seemed as if he solved the game at that time.

One of my happiest memory of my PhD was waking up at 4am to watch Flash dismantle Jaedong 3:0 in Hana Daetoo MSL. What a dominating performance that was. I stayed up till almost 9 am chatting online with other on TL forum

rockslave
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Brazil318 Posts
April 08 2016 14:44 GMT
#120
Great article. I started following BW back in 2007, it was so great that it ruined my graduation.
What qxc said.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O134
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 522
ZZZero.O 134
Hyun 104
soO 52
Dota 2
qojqva2338
monkeys_forever210
League of Legends
Doublelift3240
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4537
Liquid`Hasu591
Other Games
summit1g11065
FrodaN1507
KnowMe281
Livibee182
JimRising 163
ViBE0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick705
StarCraft 2
angryscii 38
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 99
• Adnapsc2 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra619
Other Games
• imaqtpie1017
• Shiphtur683
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 3m
Patches Events
17h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 3m
OSC
1d 1h
OSC
1d 14h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.