• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:10
CEST 04:10
KST 11:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 4746 users

[Interview] yoe Flash Wolves Leenock

Forum Index > SC2 General
37 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 09:13:46
January 31 2015 04:08 GMT
#1
[image loading] (Z)Leenock

[image loading]

Source: inven eSports

An interview with Leenock by 김홍제 of inven eSports

It is an honor to meet you Leenock. Please briefly introduce yourself first.

I am 19 years old Leenock who is currently on the Taiwanese team, yoe Flash Wolves. It’s been such a long time since I’ve done an interview like this so I am nervous.

Is it true that you dreamt of pursuing a pro gaming career from a very young age?

I really liked games ever since I was little, and it was really fun to watch finals during the SC1 times. Thanks to that, I had this indefinite thought that I wanted to stand on a finals stage just like that. I initially felt that way after watching BoxeR but the Zerg race seemed to fit me better.

That’s ironic (laughs). According to your thoughts, what is the Zerg’s charm?

Instinct. And I guess also that the race never rests almost like a turbulent storm?

It seems like your best times were spent with FXO where you grabbed a GSL finals appearance and 2 GSTL championships. What do you recall about that time?

If I could express the feeling in one sentence then I would say that it was really fun. The game was fun and my life outside gaming was also really good. It felt like each day was a sitcom (laughs). The forming of a family-like atmosphere caused us to practice hard naturally so I think that’s why good results followed through.

Do you still keep in touch with FXO players these days?

Of course. We have an FXO KakaoTalk chat room so I hear from my former teammates all the time. asd hyung, Lucky hyung, and TheBest hyung are in the army right now, but whenever they get to go on holidays, Choya hyung focuses on getting all of us together.

[image loading]

You transferred to yoe Flash Wolves at the beginning of 2014. Why did you decide upon a Taiwanese team?

Once the sponsors disappeared in 2013, I started feeling disoriented gradually and I think I started playing around more than practicing. So once I realized that, I told myself that I couldn’t afford to keep acting that way so I tried to work hard again but it didn’t work out so well (laughs). That’s why my results suffered too. But then during all of that, yoe Flash Wolves approached me first and so that’s how I came to be on a Taiwanese team.

If you’re trying to raise your skill level then isn’t it better to be on a Korean team?

Even though the practice environment and practice partners are important, I thought that tournament results were more important. Yoe had the condition that they would send me to a lot of overseas tournaments. I’ve lived in Taiwan for about a year now, and even though the communication is all done in English, there aren’t any big issues. But I still haven’t adapted well to Taiwanese food (laughs).

Did Taiwanese food help you lose weight?

Hmm… I guess I won’t deny that (laughs). But I do want to make sure that I mention that exercising was also involved.

We’re curious about your life in Taiwan.

I really practice as if I was a machine. When people say that being on an overseas team means you have a lot of freedom, they’re half right and half wrong. The schedules aren’t as systematic as Korean teams. But for Korean players, me included, we really don’t have anything else to do outside of practice times (laughs). So even when I hang out with San hyung during our free time, we still end up practicing on our own. But we do go out from time to time. I’ve made more friends than I thought I’d be able to make in Taiwan so I’ve actually gone out to see movies with them before.

[image loading]

Anything especially fun happen while you were in Taiwan?

So the distance from the team house to the practice building is far, so San hyung and I usually leave around dawn. In Taiwan, there are a lot of dogs on the streets. They’re all really manly and bigger than you’d expect. These kinds of dogs like to travel in pacts rather than by themselves. One day, this big gigantic black dog who seemed to be the head of the pact stared at both me and San hyung with a piercing gaze. We got so scared that we just bolted out of there (laughs).

That’s not the kind of answer we were looking for. So we’ll be blunt. We heard that you’re really popular amongst Taiwanese girls.

I have no idea where such a rumor got spread (laughs). Although some parts got exaggerated, I did manage to get three numbers off of Taiwanese girls. We do text each other and see how the other person is doing and I’ve also gone and met up with one of them several times, but since I go to Korea very often the communications always tends to end. Right now, we don’t talk to each other.

Has San ever gotten numbers off of Taiwanese girls?

San hyung doesn’t go out (laughs).

You’ve been interacting with your fans by uploading your pictures through social networking sites, but how did that come to start? Personally, your harry potter picture was the most eye catching.

I didn’t start that with the purpose of interacting with my fans. This one time, a good friend of mine was about to enter the army so he came to visit me in Taiwan. He had a request to make some good memories one last time so we upload a lot of special funny pictures, and then the fans just ended up liking them.

[image loading]
                                                ▲ Expecto Patronum~~!!

People have said that you resemble the baseball player Ryu Hyun Jin. What do you think?

I do occasionally get kind of surprised myself when I look at pictures for comparison. I remember this one time, my mom actually texted me that she was seeing me on 무릎팍도사 (a Korean entertainment program on channel MBC) because Ryu Hyun Jin was on there (laughs).

You granted Terminator’s request during the group drawings and people called you awesome.

Honestly, I’m not good at refusing requests. I am actually the closest with Super within Group A but it was really disappointing to see Terminator get eliminated when he was so close.

Afterwards were you able to make friends with Terminator?

We exchanged contact information since then and Terminator keeps asking me if there is anything that I would like. So I just asked him if he could treat me to a beverage later and he ended up buying drinks for the whole team during our Proleague match. Terminator is the awesome one.

You‘ve had quite the long run ever since the 2010 GSL Open Seasons all the way into the 2015 NSSL Season 1. What’s your secret?

There’s the fact that I started off young, and during practice, even from my own perspective, I feel that I worked really hard. I feel that anyone can make a long run as long as you just practice real hard.

Even though it’s difficult to see Zergs play strategically, it feels like you have been showing a very strategic Zerg play recently. Did your style change?

Honestly I had been a strategic player from a long time ago but as time went on, it looked like modest macro games were better. But my style is originally strategic so I think that’s why that’s coming out again. Also, my hatchery play at 6’o clock on Overgrowth during the NSSL Ro16 against Super was an improvised strategy. Super’s probe saw my natural and then just went straight for the gold base. It was really thrilling.

[image loading]

You are showcasing a 9-1 record out of the 10 most recent ZvP games that you’ve played. Wasn’t ZvP originally your weakness?

When it comes to a game like SC2, knowing how to defend all-ins is very important. Protoss all-ins are especially powerful and I wasn’t able to block them well in the past. But now that I have San hyung and PartinG on my team, I feel that I’ve learned a little about how to defend against them.

It’s been two years since you last won an individual tournament. You must really want this win for NSSL.

I want it really badly. My last championship victory was DreamHack Summer in Sweden back in 2013. I want to get back up to a finals stage no matter what. I’m sure this is the case for most pro gamers but the biggest motivation factor comes from when you lift a championship cup or trophy and you feel that thrilling sensation.

You are currently participating in Proleague alongside StarTale. You also have a positive winning record for Proleague. Are you exercising synergy between you and Life?

We are partnered together but since I live at home right now and not at the team house, there really isn’t that much synergy there.

So then how do you practice at home usually?

I just sleep whenever I’m home. I do all my practicing at a nearby PC room. I tend to get bored from time to time, but then I feel entertained whenever I watch whatever game the person next to me is playing (laughs). The disadvantage to practicing in PC rooms these days though is that I’m concerned about the youth nowadays and how vulgar they are.

A pro gamer who practices in PC rooms? That’s kind of unique. Lastly, please say something to the fans.

I want to thank the fans who always cheer me on. Since my momentum is so good as of late my games have been going really well. So I will try to use this momentum and ride it all the way to the NSSL championship.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 04:12:15
January 31 2015 04:09 GMT
#2
To everyone who enjoyed this interview, please thank Rocket-Bear for contacting me and asking me if I could translate this interview
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
TameNaken
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Australia361 Posts
January 31 2015 04:16 GMT
#3
Great idea by Rocket-Bear. Good to hear that the old FXO crowd still keeps in touch.
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
January 31 2015 04:19 GMT
#4
Excellent interview.

Thank you Seeker and Rocket-Bear.
NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
TOAA
Profile Joined October 2014
United States38 Posts
January 31 2015 04:26 GMT
#5
i always thought Leenock as a hard worker and with talent, he IS a strategic player and i think he can beat anyone
I have God on my side
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
January 31 2015 04:33 GMT
#6
dat animu phone case
Commentator
N.geNuity
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States5112 Posts
January 31 2015 04:34 GMT
#7
This is a fantastic interview ^.^
iu, seungah, yura, taeyeon, hyosung, lizzy, suji, sojin, jia, ji eun, eunji, soya, younha, jiyeon, fiestar, sinb, jung myung hoon godtier. BW FOREVERR
Goibon
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand8185 Posts
January 31 2015 04:46 GMT
#8
<3 Leenock

Pretty interesting about his training situation. Much love for Terminator too. Seems like such a stand up dude.
Leenock =^_^= Ryung =^_^= Parting =^_^= herO =^_^= Guilty
NovemberstOrm
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Canada16217 Posts
January 31 2015 04:48 GMT
#9
Thanks for the translation!
Moderatorlickypiddy
Distec
Profile Joined May 2011
5 Posts
January 31 2015 05:14 GMT
#10
Great interview!
sparklyresidue
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5524 Posts
January 31 2015 05:28 GMT
#11
Hey thanks, great interview!
Like Tinkerbelle, I leave behind a sparkly residue.
Rocket-Bear
Profile Joined July 2014
3070 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 05:31:58
January 31 2015 05:31 GMT
#12
On January 31 2015 13:33 GTR wrote:
dat animu phone case

Actually it's this Viper given by his mother on his birthday:

[image loading]


Also thank you so much for your help Seeker.
Favorite players: Gh and Zai
myxoma_strain
Profile Joined December 2013
United Kingdom371 Posts
January 31 2015 05:50 GMT
#13
'Anything fun happen in Taiwan?'
'Well, there was this dog...'
'I meant are you getting any.'
Holdenintherye
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada1441 Posts
January 31 2015 07:33 GMT
#14
Nice interview! Lol love the dog anecdote. So does leenock know any Chinese? How does he talk to the girls?
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
January 31 2015 07:47 GMT
#15
Choya what a sweetheart
Moderator
Ctesias
Profile Joined December 2012
4595 Posts
January 31 2015 08:03 GMT
#16
Really good interview. Happy to hear some personal stories about one of my favorites players. Leenock is sweet.

Thanks Seeker and Rocket-Bear.
Flash | Mvp
mdamda
Profile Joined November 2011
63 Posts
January 31 2015 08:03 GMT
#17
Can anyone elaborate on what Terminator's request was in the group drawings for those of us who weren't able to watch?
padiseal2
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria721 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 08:04:23
January 31 2015 08:04 GMT
#18
Thank you so much for the translation!
Great read, leenock is awesome
Samsungjackets on twitch || 강민수 화이팅
BreAKerTV
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan1658 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-31 08:06:29
January 31 2015 08:05 GMT
#19
I was always wondering what his thought process was like when he first arrived. It seems like he is a happy guy from the interview.
Retired caster / streamer "BingeHD". Digital Nomad.
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
January 31 2015 08:10 GMT
#20
Cricketer will be crushed to see that San can't pick up.

Ty Seeker and Rocket-Bear :D
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 196
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2538
NotJumperer 2
Dota 2
monkeys_forever816
NeuroSwarm177
Other Games
summit1g8285
Coldzera 773
Day[9].tv737
JimRising 571
C9.Mang0356
PiGStarcraft206
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick848
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream333
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 116
• davetesta18
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv737
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
7h 50m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
21h 50m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.