• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:58
CEST 17:58
KST 00:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9053 users

Growth of Starcraft 2 [INFOGRAHPIC] - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
MagnuMizer
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Denmark384 Posts
March 26 2013 22:25 GMT
#81
I guess this covers the whole "SC2 is dead" issue ^^

Great to know that SC2 has always been growing and in fact still is... Nice to have some statistics on that, i'm just gonna assume that the data is acurate or even true for that matter

Nice work!
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
March 26 2013 22:37 GMT
#82
On March 27 2013 06:37 Liman wrote:
Very interesting.
Anyone knows whats the highest amount of money won for single tournament?And who won it?

Yes, everybody knows this . You'll smack your forehead in a second when I tell you.

Of course, if I'm wrong then it'll be me that smacks my forehead (in embarrassment), lol.

WCS World Champs was $100k USD prize, Parting won the final over Creator (who only received a measly $40k).

I'm not sure but I believe the second biggest was the first GSL, which was about $86k IIRC (I think it was a million Won). I'm not going to bother pointing out who won that one .
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
kochanfe
Profile Joined July 2011
Micronesia1338 Posts
March 26 2013 22:41 GMT
#83
Very cool!
"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long." - Lao Tzu
sM.Zik
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada2553 Posts
March 26 2013 22:44 GMT
#84
"The continent with the most prize money is Asia"

I almost shits my pants reading this.

/sarcasm.
Jaedong Fighting! | youtube.com/ZikGaming
SoniC_eu
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark1008 Posts
March 26 2013 22:46 GMT
#85
A great infographic Very informative and altough some ppl are whining and very quick to criticise the information, I would like to point out that this chap (who undoubtedly is also quite handsome) has done this out of his own free time & interest.
Suggestions:
1) If you get a chance, it would be great to see a followup in terms of HotS (both with prize money and viewership)
2) More data across the board (tournies)
3) Streaming data. I wonder what TL reports with streaming traffic. I always look at that "viewers active" number, and since LoL and Dota started it really seems to be increasing I wonder how those numbers have changed since 2010.

But honestly that is quite a time requiring process

Thank you for a concise, and informative graphic
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. http://da.twitch.tv/sonic_eu
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
March 26 2013 23:08 GMT
#86
This infographic puts into pictures why I'm still optimistic, and why all the raging, SC2 is dead people are wrong :>. Good to know the scene will continue for a long time to come .
User was warned for too many mimes.
rahji
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany63 Posts
March 26 2013 23:10 GMT
#87
just one question about prize money: Are there any taxes you have to pay when you win a big tournament or do you get the whole money the casters are praising?
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
March 26 2013 23:15 GMT
#88
This isn't an infographic, its just a bunch of graphs. It's more really just Info. Infographics are usually better designed and have an attempt to make the information a lot prettier.
Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
March 26 2013 23:18 GMT
#89
That color coordinated line chart with similar colors is such a fail...
une_certaine_verve
Profile Joined May 2012
342 Posts
March 26 2013 23:21 GMT
#90
I wonder if/when SC will produce its first millionaire (/million dollars won).
Cereb
Profile Joined November 2011
Denmark3388 Posts
March 26 2013 23:28 GMT
#91
Nice charts! Very cool to see how well it's doing

I was very suprised to see that all the prize money in Asia actually tops the other continents by so much! I did not expect that!


On February 22 2013 01:04 AnomalySC2 wrote:
So this must explain why so players are retiring and teams are closing left and right, I see I see.

The problem is the dwindling viewerbase is not enough to sustain the pro scene. The amount of money being pumped into the scene doesn't mean it's growing. Tournament organisers are doing their best to inject artificial interest into the game by throwing more money at it (especially Blizz/Gom), but they need to fix the actual game if they want players and viewers to come back.

The real reason LoL is so popular as an esport is because the game itself is fun enough to actually play. I know there are people out there that follow SC2 even though they don't play it anymore, but that has to be the minority. With LoL people are happy playing the game, which boosts their interest for following the pro scene.




Have you ever played LoL? Cause if you had you might wanna rephrase that - I know what you are trying to say, but "happy" is definitely not the word you are looking for. LoL players are anger and rage in it's purest form. I thought I had seen evil of the internet but then I tried out LoL - omg! The level of hate towards team members are beyond anything I have ever seen on the internet, and that says alot!

Learning to deal with anger and hateful teammates is basically the number one skill to have in LoL :p
"Until the very very top in almost anything, all that matters is how much work you put in. The only problem is most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for. -Greg "IdrA" Fields
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
March 26 2013 23:35 GMT
#92
I wasn't a BW fan- but once SC2 dropped I've watched every major tourney. Watching that video I almost cried with nostalgia... is this normal?
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Esoterikk
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1256 Posts
March 27 2013 05:41 GMT
#93
Is Sc2 actually growing though? The only thing that matters for growth is viewer interest, it doesn't matter how much money gets pumped into the scene because if viewers decline money declines. I haven't been following the scene close enough since I just started playing again but is viewership increasing?
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
March 27 2013 06:03 GMT
#94
This is pretty missleading.

Prize money have increased, yes, but is a e-sport global fact, not Sc2 only.

And Sc2 viewership before Hots release was prolly in the minimum since WoL release.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sc2, but let's be real.
Chicken gank op
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
March 27 2013 06:12 GMT
#95
On March 27 2013 14:41 Esoterikk wrote:
Is Sc2 actually growing though? The only thing that matters for growth is viewer interest, it doesn't matter how much money gets pumped into the scene because if viewers decline money declines. I haven't been following the scene close enough since I just started playing again but is viewership increasing?


It is indeed decreasing and rightfully so.
sorry for dem one liners
Teodice
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden641 Posts
March 27 2013 06:30 GMT
#96
Havnt this already been posted some time ago? Anyway cool graphs
You will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not
Esoterikk
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1256 Posts
March 27 2013 12:41 GMT
#97
On March 27 2013 15:12 NukeD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2013 14:41 Esoterikk wrote:
Is Sc2 actually growing though? The only thing that matters for growth is viewer interest, it doesn't matter how much money gets pumped into the scene because if viewers decline money declines. I haven't been following the scene close enough since I just started playing again but is viewership increasing?


It is indeed decreasing and rightfully so.


Why rightfully so? The game seems to have improved a lot with HotS even though I will admit WoL got stale but that was mainly a map/unit issue.
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
March 27 2013 13:01 GMT
#98
On March 27 2013 21:41 Esoterikk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2013 15:12 NukeD wrote:
On March 27 2013 14:41 Esoterikk wrote:
Is Sc2 actually growing though? The only thing that matters for growth is viewer interest, it doesn't matter how much money gets pumped into the scene because if viewers decline money declines. I haven't been following the scene close enough since I just started playing again but is viewership increasing?


It is indeed decreasing and rightfully so.


Why rightfully so? The game seems to have improved a lot with HotS even though I will admit WoL got stale but that was mainly a map/unit issue.


Well it is still stale in my opinion. I dont think HotS delivered. Offcourse its better than WoL but a lot of people expected it to be much more.

It could be that it is to early to tell but for now I'm not having fun specating tournaments and pro games/streams and thats the bottom line.
sorry for dem one liners
omgimonfire15
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States233 Posts
March 27 2013 15:36 GMT
#99
Honestly, this says very little. Almost all the statistics are about prize money, there is one graph about viewers and one graph about subscribers to the starcraft reddit forum. the writer acknowledges though, many tournaments keep viewers hush hush. What would really be useful (but probably hard to get) would be active players, unique viewers per tournament, and actual attendances.
ImDrizzt
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway427 Posts
March 27 2013 15:50 GMT
#100
Hmm, GOM doing a good job. But maybe all that money isn't spent quite the right way?

Don't know a lot about it, but wouldn't it be better if they had more tournaments and opportunities in korea. Spread it out a little?
Link to my serious blog, where I am serious and spreads truth, knowledge and "serious" stuff: http://www.liquidpoker.net/blog/viewblog.php?id=982066
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech147
Codebar 36
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1131
Mini 929
Soma 620
actioN 477
Rush 376
ggaemo 350
Light 302
Larva 285
Stork 268
Horang2 254
[ Show more ]
BeSt 242
Snow 194
hero 172
Shuttle 172
firebathero 116
Barracks 112
Shine 98
Killer 95
Dewaltoss 91
Aegong 76
Sea.KH 71
Zeus 70
Sexy 44
Liquid`Ret 35
Shinee 35
sorry 33
Sharp 32
soO 32
JYJ 31
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
zelot 21
Trap 17
Rock 14
Sacsri 10
Terrorterran 9
Dota 2
Gorgc8319
qojqva1798
Dendi939
420jenkins168
Counter-Strike
fl0m1193
x6flipin639
Fnx 620
edward60
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5305
Other Games
singsing1457
B2W.Neo982
byalli486
Lowko368
Khaldor358
Mlord315
ceh9247
DeMusliM183
Liquid`VortiX166
ArmadaUGS143
KnowMe141
Trikslyr44
BRAT_OK 27
Railgan16
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV231
BasetradeTV194
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH212
• StrangeGG 68
• mYiSmile119
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Migwel
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 21
• FirePhoenix8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV345
League of Legends
• Nemesis2714
• TFBlade742
Other Games
• Shiphtur184
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 2m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 2m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.