• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:26
CEST 22:26
KST 05:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20268Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8333 users

[Program] Hotkey Trainer

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-08 16:12:26
July 30 2012 21:06 GMT
#1
With the advent of super-customizing hotkeys, some people may want to learn new hotkeys in a focused, stress-free environment. What use to be a program for just the Darkgrid layout is now a more generic hotkey trainer. I have tested it using Darkgrid and TheCore, so there might be bugs if you use your own custom setup, please help me out by reporting them so I can fix them.

TheCore Thread
Darkgrid Thread

Hotkey Trainer, 0.4


This python script lets you practice any hotkey layout without having to open SC2, useful if you are at work and want to practice, waiting for a queue in Dota2, or just want to focus on hotkeys and nothing else.

NOTE: Please read the config.ini, you can customize a decent amount of things in there

NOTE 2: Still working on adding every useful command

NOTE 3: For now if you use "ForwardMouseButton" or "BackMouseButton" I have remapped these to Page Up and Page Down (since python does not natively support side mouse buttons )

Download!, (Note: Instructions on this page)

This is now an executable, so you don't have to fumble around with installing Python.

Future plans:
  • Euro/Other Non-US keyboard support, I need people to help with "translations"
  • GUI for editing the settings
  • OS X Executable


Recent changes:
  • Changed internals of how hotkeys are grabbed
  • Added support for alternate keyboards
  • Added more default keys


Screenshot:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Screenshot (shows the correct keys and what you pressed):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
Zerg #1
IncoGnit9
Profile Joined March 2012
26 Posts
July 30 2012 21:16 GMT
#2
Sound good,gonna try it later maybe.

Do you plan on patching and adding features?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 30 2012 21:17 GMT
#3
Hell yea SirPsychoMantis, thanks so much!!!
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Darneck
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1394 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-30 21:29:01
July 30 2012 21:26 GMT
#4
Not sure if I've missed something but commands where you have to use shift doesn't work, for example add to control group 5 ends up as shift % and not shift 5

I must definitely have missed something because I have not managed to do it succesfully with anything yet
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
July 30 2012 21:41 GMT
#5
I think there's a small bug with shift + symbol combos. I was given a command that was supposed to be Shift + Period, but everytime I pressed it it showed up as me pressing Shift + Greater Than. This is obviously because Shit + Period is equivalent to Shift + Greater Than, but your program thinks I'm pressing the wrong buttons!
RiSkysc2
Profile Joined September 2011
696 Posts
July 30 2012 21:47 GMT
#6
Doesn't work.
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
July 30 2012 21:53 GMT
#7
On July 31 2012 06:47 Lineridarz wrote:
Doesn't work.

Make sure you follow the directions for setting it up. It won't load until you copy your .SC2Hotkeys file into the directory. If it doesn't work after following all the directions, then I'd recommend giving your system information so the OP can help you troubleshoot. "Doesn't work" is not descriptive enough to figure out what's going wrong, and it works fine for me.

@OP:
Nice job, this was a really good idea! Once you fix the Shift bug it'll be awesome! :D
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
July 31 2012 00:40 GMT
#8
I fixed Shift + . and Shift + =

I think Non-US keyboards might be iffy right now, I will have to figure out how to test with one.
Zerg #1
Raembo
Profile Joined December 2010
Indonesia46 Posts
July 31 2012 01:11 GMT
#9
I don't understand how this works.
it told me to create control group of 0
and I press ctrl + 0
and it doesn't work?!?!?
am I missing something?
"People don't change, they only adapt"
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
July 31 2012 01:18 GMT
#10
On July 31 2012 10:11 Raembo wrote:
I don't understand how this works.
it told me to create control group of 0
and I press ctrl + 0
and it doesn't work?!?!?
am I missing something?


The middle text will show what you needed to press, the red text at the bottom will show what you hit. Was there a mismatch? If it isn't what you expected, are you on a non-US keyboard? I haven't heard back from anyone with one yet.
Zerg #1
Raembo
Profile Joined December 2010
Indonesia46 Posts
July 31 2012 01:22 GMT
#11
On July 31 2012 10:18 SirPsychoMantis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 31 2012 10:11 Raembo wrote:
I don't understand how this works.
it told me to create control group of 0
and I press ctrl + 0
and it doesn't work?!?!?
am I missing something?


The middle text will show what you needed to press, the red text at the bottom will show what you hit. Was there a mismatch? If it isn't what you expected, are you on a non-US keyboard? I haven't heard back from anyone with one yet.


I believe I'm using US keyboard.
and there was no guide on what keys to press. except for making units
example:
make mutalisk
T

example:
create control group of 0
(nothing here)

does this make sense?
"People don't change, they only adapt"
Akylol
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany9 Posts
July 31 2012 01:37 GMT
#12
It's also not correctly working for me. Shift + a number in the top row results in pressing the sign on the button.(i should press Shift + 0 but he can only register shift + equal) . I am using this on a German keyboard but there should not be a large issue because the hotkey layout is meant for the german keyboard (TheCore German special layout).
Eliwood5837
Profile Joined July 2011
245 Posts
July 31 2012 01:50 GMT
#13
Doesn't even run for me
Liquid`HerO Fighting! | Liquid`TaeJa Fighting!
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-31 02:40:35
July 31 2012 02:36 GMT
#14
On July 31 2012 10:50 Eliwood5837 wrote:
Doesn't even run for me


If it doesn't run you probably didn't copy in your hotkeys file, if that isn't the case get back to me

On July 31 2012 10:37 Akylol wrote:
It's also not correctly working for me. Shift + a number in the top row results in pressing the sign on the button.(i should press Shift + 0 but he can only register shift + equal) . I am using this on a German keyboard but there should not be a large issue because the hotkey layout is meant for the german keyboard (TheCore German special layout).


The problem is I have to convert the symbols to their respective keys, if I do Shift+0, Tkinter gives me RIGHTPAREN while SC2 wants 0, so I convert it. The problem is, the symbol above 0 on US keyboards is parens, while other countries might have equals. I'm going to research a better solution for this.

On July 31 2012 10:22 Raembo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 31 2012 10:18 SirPsychoMantis wrote:
On July 31 2012 10:11 Raembo wrote:
I don't understand how this works.
it told me to create control group of 0
and I press ctrl + 0
and it doesn't work?!?!?
am I missing something?


The middle text will show what you needed to press, the red text at the bottom will show what you hit. Was there a mismatch? If it isn't what you expected, are you on a non-US keyboard? I haven't heard back from anyone with one yet.


I believe I'm using US keyboard.
and there was no guide on what keys to press. except for making units
example:
make mutalisk
T

example:
create control group of 0
(nothing here)

does this make sense?


Would you mind posting your hotkeys file so I can test it?
Zerg #1
Snusmumriken
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden1717 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-31 10:15:13
July 31 2012 10:02 GMT
#15
good stuff., but not really that useful. For example its not very useful to know how to make "camera7", I only need to know how to make basecamera etc. but yeah.

could also do with more stuff such as "build techlab" etc. "lift building" etc. Also for the core, knowingthat button x is "controlgroup y" doesnt really matter, something like "select vikings", "add to army" etc. makes more sense as that is what you wnat to learn. The harassmentkeys could be numbered though.

What I mean by all this is that you could specifically modify the program for thecore. Seeing as there are already suggested control groups for every race.
Amove for Aiur
Castor385
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands20 Posts
July 31 2012 10:12 GMT
#16
How can I test Protoss hotkeys with this?
Study everything, You'll find something you can use
Kaz_Coaching
Profile Joined October 2010
United States83 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-31 12:43:36
July 31 2012 12:36 GMT
#17
Would be nice to have a skip option for when the program doesn't read the command correctly.

Commands that aren't recognized.

Alt (by itself).
Shift + BracketOpen is read as Shift + Braceleft
Shift + BracketClose is read as Shift + braceright
ben.stpierre
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada16 Posts
July 31 2012 12:50 GMT
#18
Could you release the python script as well as the exe?

I'm on a Mac at work (which has python installed).
faintz
Profile Joined June 2010
United States47 Posts
July 31 2012 15:11 GMT
#19
Doesn't work. Restarted several times and no matter what I put in it does not tell me if its right or wrong.
unicornofdoom
Profile Joined May 2012
Sweden3 Posts
July 31 2012 16:08 GMT
#20
where can i find how to use the camera keys and wichone is suggested for each button? the visual aids are no help for anything without the text tbh..... otherwise great work guys!
it's little bit of an advanced tactic and with advanced I mean really fucking bad
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 625
ProTech143
Nina 106
RuFF_SC2 65
JuggernautJason63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21112
Calm 2550
Mini 157
Dewaltoss 115
firebathero 96
soO 52
Bale 32
PianO 16
Sacsri 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7702
monkeys_forever95
canceldota26
League of Legends
Doublelift2601
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1568
fl0m1283
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu840
Other Games
summit1g2180
FrodaN1750
Beastyqt596
shahzam472
mouzStarbuck353
B2W.Neo308
ToD200
C9.Mang0135
Trikslyr110
RotterdaM103
UpATreeSC82
Mew2King40
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1006
• Shiphtur721
• WagamamaTV212
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 49m
Replay Cast
2h 34m
OSC
1d 2h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 13h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.