- Nothing was ever said about potential beta announcements for HotS on March 9 Call - confirmed with Blizzard PR.
- The "50 Million Users" includes WoW, SC2, Call of Duty and other Activision games - its an Activision Blizzard financial call, so consider that they are talking to investors, and talking in broad numbers - not specific live concurrent users on a specific platform (bnet). When they say "we have 50 million users", that probably means every user who signed up for an ActiBlizz online service (think of all the console titles that are included).
- 50 million users is not a figure that Blizzard has ever claimed about bnet...think about it, there are ~10m WoW players. Do you think there are 40m SC2 players 0_o?
Straight from PR:
Earnings calls are not a place where players should be waiting on pins and needles looking for something important to them – we would tell our players through other means first. Even the Q2 D3 mention in the earnings call was made on the Battle.net forums simultaneously or before the earnings call happened.
Really consider what matters to an investor - a specific beta release date? or general scheduling of products to predict stock prices etc?
tl;dr if there is important info for the community, like beta info, its going to come via a more community focused announcement (fb, bnet forum, press release, social media) with all the usual bells and whistles - not on a financial call for suits.
The Q4 2011 Earnings call will take place on February 9, at 1:30 PM PST, which brings us an update on the magical fairyland which is Blizzard for the final quarter of 2011 and a sneak peak into 2012. So if you are an obsessed Starcraft2 fan that is desperate hoping to get a release date of the expansion HOTS then by all means, join in to the call!
The week of the call may also bring us information on other upcoming releases, if there will be any announcement expect it before the call takes place. So In order to join in and find out just how much delayed HOTS will be all you need is to follow this link:http://investor.activision.com/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=108428
Summary from the call that relates to Starcraft II and Esports:
- No date or estimate when HotS will be released, It might be released during 2013, might be released today or just cancelled altogether. The usual.
More info about HotS March 9th, that's the only concrete thing regarding the Starcraft II expansion.
- Blizzard will take a more active role in Esports during 2012 (Might refer to the their newly created tournament)
Additional info regarding Diablo III and Wow since people asked for it:
- World of Warcraft now has 10.2M active subscribers.
- World of Warcraft lost 100,000 subscribers, down to 10.2 million. This was a total lost of 1.8 million for the year.
- There are ~50 million active Battle.net users.
- Diablo III should launch in Q2
- More than one million Annual Passes have been sold in the West.