• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:23
CEST 17:23
KST 00:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7421 users

[WCG 2011] Japan's Representative's Interview

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-01 09:38:06
August 31 2011 22:02 GMT
#1
WCG 2011 Japan's Representative: Taiki "(Z)Breek" Kobayashi (小林大起)

[image loading]
“Aside from just competing in the WCG main stage, I will strive to become one of the world’s best.”


The WCG 2011 Japanese Preliminary’s Second Round matches took place on August 27 at SolidRay Corporation’s research institution. The one to win it all and earn the spot as Japan’s representative was none other than Taiki “breek” Kobayashi (小林大起). Furthermore, breek will be competing against the world’s top players at the WCG 2011 Grand Finals hosted in Pusan, South Korea from December 8 – 11.

Located below is breek’s interview!


ー What are your thoughts on winning it all and becoming Japan’s representative?

I’m really happy. But, as expected, the preliminaries are just the preliminaries, and I’d like to begin practicing for the main tournament. There’s also the after party, so I feel like today I should just have fun, but honestly, I just want to have dinner, go home, and start laddering right away lol.


ー How was your condition today?


Not very good, because I was nervous and was only able to get about two hours of sleep. At first I thought things were going to go badly because of my lack of sleep, but when the matches started I became wide awake and was able to play my matches very well. To be honest, I even thought I was going to lose during the first round, but I managed to beat Pixtar and was able to ride that momentum.


ー Please tell us which match left the biggest impression on you today and why.

The match I lost against (P)Nazomen. In an interview I declared that I wouldn’t drop a single match this tournament and was enthusiastic about it, but I feel like I was done in by Protoss’s cheapness lol. However, just like my match against CriMsoN, I feel my losses today were all due to the maps.


ー In your second set against nazomen on Crevasse you used banelings. Were you just improvising?

Hm, well, he went for a 1-gate expand, so I decided to break through with banelings. When a Protoss goes for a 1-gate expand, the core is delayed and he won’t have sentries ready. Even if he does make it in time, if I destroy the rock then the ramp widens and he wouldn’t be able to defend himself. To find that opening and take advantage of it is what I’d call a relatively ideal style.


ー In the interview for those who advanced past the first round, you said you wanted to defeat nazomen.


It now really is the shifting of generations, isn’t it? Lol. I was incredibly frustrated with losing to him three times in a row during the Japanese Grand Championships that I felt I had to really win some day, so when I was able to defeat him during the SteelSeries King of the Hill I thought to myself that we were even. I feel I was able to turn things around by defeating him today, so I’m really glad.


[image loading]



ー How do you feel about the Finals against CriMsoN when you look back on it?


CriMsoN was tough as expected. Maybe it’s because my condition was good, but I didn’t lose at all today except against some weird cheeses lol. I couldn’t find the right timing for gas during the spine crawler rush in Set 2. If it was a 15 hatch I could have went with a tonton(?) timing, but with 15 pool, 16 hatch the timing is a bit off. That spine crawler rush was something I saw either NesTea or IdrA do and wasn’t something I practiced beforehand. I thought it’d go a lot better though lol -_-. But overall, I was able to win through strategy and dominated the game, so it was pretty fun doing it.


ー During the first set on Shakuras Plateau, your timing for your third was a bit of a gamble, was it not?


From what I understood by watching his first round matches, CriMsoN’s play style is not very risky, so while praying for him to not attack me, I expanded. Also, since zerg’s anti-air units eat up gas, I decided to make it so I could harvest gas.


ー Your victory on Xel’Naga Caverns during the third set was especially wonderful.

I thought he went for a Stargate, but when I realized it was just a hallucination, I panicked. But since I was successful in defending my third, I decided to attack him while coordinating a drop simultaneously. Multitasking really is crucial versus Protoss. I myself sometimes play Protoss, so I felt calm.


ー Have you already decided how you would respond if you saw your opponent getting carriers?

If I saw him getting carriers, I’d immediately expand. Afterwards, while spreading creep, I’d get hydras while building a spire and subsequently get air upgrades. I feel getting Infestors a little later would be okay.


[image loading]



ー In preparation for December’s WCG Grand Finals, how do you plan on preparing?

enza said he would contact some professional gamers for me, so I think I’ll be able to play with them. I know all of the Japanese players’ play styles, so I don’t really want to play custom games with them. In any case, I would like to spend this limited amount of time effectively. I want to be able to take this momentum and focus on nothing but studying and Starcraft 2. In January of next year I have an exam so everyone is asking me if I’m insane… but I want to be able to balance both, while leaning towards games a bit more lol.


ー A word for your fans who have been cheering for you and your goals from here on out?

There were some bad things in the past… well, rather, there were some small issues, but to those who have been cheering me on until now, and for those who started rooting for me after seeing me play for the first time today, I would like to give you all my thanks. Also, aside from just competing in the WCG main stage, I will strive to become one of the world’s best from then on as well.



source: http://sc-times.net/item/4362



Thank you to Starcraft Times for allowing me to translate the article and use their pictures!
Writer
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
August 31 2011 22:07 GMT
#2
What server does Japan play on? I know their SC2 scene is underdeveloped. Is this guy just going to get his face smashed at WCG world?
Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
grush57
Profile Joined March 2011
Korea (South)2582 Posts
August 31 2011 22:08 GMT
#3
Cool, but I dont think Japan has much of a chance in WCG .
"Every thing is either simply awful or awfully simple." | "Weaklings can't pick... their way of death."
dubRa
Profile Joined December 2008
2165 Posts
August 31 2011 22:08 GMT
#4
Thanks. Really cool interview.
FreshVegetables
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Finland513 Posts
August 31 2011 22:08 GMT
#5
Good for him I guess... Wonder what his skill level is like, something like high masterish?
yummy tomatoes
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
August 31 2011 22:08 GMT
#6
On September 01 2011 07:07 fire_brand wrote:
What server does Japan play on? I know their SC2 scene is underdeveloped. Is this guy just going to get his face smashed at WCG world?

They play on NA from what I know of.
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
T1Sugar
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom25 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-31 22:09:33
August 31 2011 22:09 GMT
#7
Interesting, I always wondered what the japanese Sc2 scene was like. Best of luck to him in the grand finals!
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46488 Posts
August 31 2011 22:09 GMT
#8
The Japanese players get carriers?

I totally want to see this guy build carriers against us sometime.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
August 31 2011 22:21 GMT
#9
Interesting interview. I really don't know literally anything about Japanese Starcraft/2 scene. Looking forward to see him play!

Thanks!
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
Benjef
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom6921 Posts
August 31 2011 22:22 GMT
#10
Thanks for the interview! Always wondered why we never hear anything about japan in pro gaming.
<3 | Dota 2 | DayZ | <3
wolfe
Profile Joined March 2010
United States761 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-31 22:23:13
August 31 2011 22:22 GMT
#11
I don't know their metagame... but it seems to me they are far far far behind NA / EU w/o mentioning KR.


On September 01 2011 07:22 Benjef wrote:
Thanks for the interview! Always wondered why we never hear anything about japan in pro gaming.


Because they focus on arcade games. Nothing like their DDR or SF.
Swift as the wind, felt before noticed.
amazingoopah
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1925 Posts
August 31 2011 22:24 GMT
#12
isn't Japan only good at the fighting games like Tekken and Street Fighter? Would love to be surprised by this guy tho.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
August 31 2011 22:29 GMT
#13
Daigo should play SC2.


hahaha nice interview. Hope he does well, its always nice to see new talent
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Jombozeus
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
China1014 Posts
August 31 2011 22:37 GMT
#14
991 points masters on AM servers = breek.
Meh.
Pixtar
Profile Joined July 2011
Japan2 Posts
September 01 2011 08:09 GMT
#15
I know he is good player
We are playing on NA and some people are playing on KR/TW.

well, He sometimes attend to some tournaments.

US.CraftCup #28 Ro8
US.CraftCup #34 Finalist
ZOTAC NA Cup #2 Ro8
TeamSpeak TL Open #21 Ro16

These are his carriers.
youngminii
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia7514 Posts
September 01 2011 08:15 GMT
#16
Mutalisks are crucial against Protoss?

Did I read that right?
lalala
god_forbids
Profile Joined October 2010
United States111 Posts
September 01 2011 09:23 GMT
#17
On September 01 2011 17:15 youngminii wrote:
Mutalisks are crucial against Protoss?

Did I read that right?
You read it right but the translator was probably rushing.
やっぱりvPはマルチタスクが重要ですね。
Should be "As expected, multitasking is crucial versus Protoss.
Junkka: "I prepared this" Protoss hwaiting!!!
Souma
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2nd Worst City in CA8938 Posts
September 01 2011 09:40 GMT
#18
On September 01 2011 18:23 god_forbids wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 01 2011 17:15 youngminii wrote:
Mutalisks are crucial against Protoss?

Did I read that right?
You read it right but the translator was probably rushing.
Show nested quote +
やっぱりvPはマルチタスクが重要ですね。
Should be "As expected, multitasking is crucial versus Protoss.


Oops, I knew that sounded odd. Thanks.
Writer
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
September 01 2011 09:45 GMT
#19
Glad for him, I hope he can make a strong showing at the WCG.
Btw. was only one sponsored trip to the WCG available?
Will there be other people representing Japan at the WCG anyways,
considering that Japan <-> Korea isn't that huge of a travel distance?
dtz
Profile Joined September 2010
5834 Posts
September 01 2011 09:48 GMT
#20
ー Have you already decided how you would respond if you saw your opponent getting carriers?

If I saw him getting carriers, I’d immediately expand. Afterwards, while spreading creep, I’d get hydras while building a spire and subsequently get air upgrades. I feel getting Infestors a little later would be okay.


uh lol. Do zergs have to prepare for carriers now in this match-up or am i just behind in the trend?
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1393
WardiTV1026
OGKoka 258
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 258
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5092
Bisu 1960
Shuttle 958
Larva 712
Stork 500
BeSt 500
EffOrt 470
Horang2 384
actioN 295
Mini 255
[ Show more ]
Rush 237
Light 147
Mind 119
hero 106
Zeus 91
910 89
Snow 72
Yoon 71
Mong 61
Shinee 55
Barracks 51
Sea.KH 51
sorry 48
JYJ 38
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 29
Killer 27
Sexy 25
HiyA 21
Aegong 20
Terrorterran 20
yabsab 16
zelot 15
scan(afreeca) 12
soO 12
Free 8
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5519
qojqva2642
Dendi1254
febbydoto38
Counter-Strike
fl0m3635
Fnx 662
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko525
Other Games
singsing2561
hiko955
B2W.Neo779
TKL 658
Livibee357
XBOCT256
Liquid`VortiX232
Hui .228
ceh9209
XaKoH 149
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 30
• mYiSmile119
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 28
• iopq 10
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3120
• Jankos2125
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
37m
Replay Cast
7h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 37m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 37m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.