• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:22
CEST 23:22
KST 06:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8760 users

Build Order Visualizer -- Looking for feedback

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Invariant
Profile Joined October 2010
United States5 Posts
May 04 2011 05:37 GMT
#1
Hello TL,

Me and my friend have been working on a build order visualizer as a programming project, and are looking for some early feedback. We designed the visualizer based on the idea that it could help people learn new BOs, or compare existing BOs to analyze the timings. The site can be found here:

http://sc2.karlhe.com

Credit
This uses Haploid's Build order calculator ( http://sc2calc.org ) to figure out the timings, the thread for that can be found here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=159994

This project heavily relies on his excellent work, so much thanks to him.

Usage
The syntax is the same as sc2calc ( http://www.sc2calc.org/build_order/syntax.php ). There are a few examples build into the "Saved Build Orders" on the left.

Click either "Show on Left" or "Show on Right" to display the build order in either the left or right column, respectively. You can hover over the timeline to see the current units for each column, or hover over an icon on the timeline to see a description.

Things we'd like to know:
* Does this actually help, and what does it help with specifically?
* What could be improved?

Any feedback is appreciated!
PR4Y
Profile Joined November 2010
United States260 Posts
May 04 2011 05:49 GMT
#2
I'm not trying to be too hard on you or anything, but I can't figure out what this is supposed to do, that 50 other programs don't already do.


From a programmer's perspective, the application lacks functionality. The buttons "Show on Left / Right" aren't clearly labeled and don't seem to respond to even the most basic input.

Some documentation wouldn't hurt, either.

I'm just having a hard time seeing what this application does other then taking the sc2calc build order syntax and wrapping a few images and buttons around it. Perhaps I'm missing something though?
I'm your average Brotoss brother, weilding my brommortal, brothership, brolossus, bro ray, broenix... BROTHERHOOD OF BROTOSS
Invariant
Profile Joined October 2010
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 05:59:02
May 04 2011 05:57 GMT
#3
On May 04 2011 14:49 PR4Y wrote:
From a programmer's perspective, the application lacks functionality.

It's pretty mediocre from a programming perspective, I admit. What functionality are you looking for?

The buttons "Show on Left / Right" aren't clearly labeled and don't seem to respond to even the most basic input.

Could you elaborate? It seems like you got it to work, so I don't know what you mean by "don't seem to respond".

Some documentation wouldn't hurt, either.

True. I was hoping my explanation would be enough, what was confusing?

I'm just having a hard time seeing what this application does other then taking the sc2calc build order syntax and wrapping a few images and buttons around it. Perhaps I'm missing something though?

In a sense, you are right. In the same sense, a bar chart is just wrapping images around a spreadsheet, but it gives you a new way to look at the data that may be hard to see in the original format.


Thanks for the response!
ArhK
Profile Joined July 2007
France287 Posts
May 04 2011 09:50 GMT
#4
I had a "hard time" understanding how does it work.

It is pretty nice, but tips regarding the most common sc2calc rules to write down the build orders would be appreciated, I felt to lazy to bounce back to sc2calc website to check things.

Regarding functionnalities, I would like to be able to make build orders, and share them through a unique URL, in order to link it easily between teammates for example. Making account where you can store "private BO" would be nice as well.
Invariant
Profile Joined October 2010
United States5 Posts
May 05 2011 05:46 GMT
#5
On May 04 2011 18:50 ArhK wrote:
I had a "hard time" understanding how does it work.

What would you say is the most confusing part / how did you finally understand it?

It is pretty nice, but tips regarding the most common sc2calc rules to write down the build orders would be appreciated, I felt to lazy to bounce back to sc2calc website to check things.

Good idea, I tripped up a lot on stuff like chronoboost, transferring workers, and swapping addons when I first started using it too.

Regarding functionnalities, I would like to be able to make build orders, and share them through a unique URL, in order to link it easily between teammates for example. Making account where you can store "private BO" would be nice as well.

The URL-sharing is definitely on our to-do list. In terms of "private BOs", we do plan to make the Saved BO's tree store permanently, which would I hope is what you're thinking of?
ArhK
Profile Joined July 2007
France287 Posts
May 16 2011 11:44 GMT
#6
On May 05 2011 14:46 Invariant wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2011 18:50 ArhK wrote:
I had a "hard time" understanding how does it work.

What would you say is the most confusing part / how did you finally understand it?

Show nested quote +
It is pretty nice, but tips regarding the most common sc2calc rules to write down the build orders would be appreciated, I felt to lazy to bounce back to sc2calc website to check things.

Good idea, I tripped up a lot on stuff like chronoboost, transferring workers, and swapping addons when I first started using it too.

Show nested quote +
Regarding functionnalities, I would like to be able to make build orders, and share them through a unique URL, in order to link it easily between teammates for example. Making account where you can store "private BO" would be nice as well.

The URL-sharing is definitely on our to-do list. In terms of "private BOs", we do plan to make the Saved BO's tree store permanently, which would I hope is what you're thinking of?


The most confusing part was to understand that the "Show on left, Show on right" were the "Calculate button". Since I didn't understand it at first, I had a hard time figuring out how to use the BO tree on the left.

As for the saving of the tree store, yes it would be a great idea to have this.

We are using your website with a friend atm, and we would love to be able to link ourselves different BO without an entire C/C of the bo .

Don't hesitate to PM me for further questions !
RobiTL
Profile Joined July 2010
France55 Posts
May 16 2011 12:54 GMT
#7
Can you please add the larvea number ?
The most usefull info to have a solid zerg build order is to prevent the larvae-block (having 3 larvae or more)
[image loading]

PS : hatch = 1larva/15s, inject = 4larva/40s
Born to be Zerg
CursedFeanor
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada539 Posts
December 11 2011 22:54 GMT
#8
I just found this tool and think it's absolutely great! It's by far the easiest way to follow a build order in-game for me... So I'm wondering if you guys have plans to update this project with the latest patch or to possibly release the source code so the community could work with it?
Kharnage
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia920 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-12 03:15:36
December 11 2011 23:35 GMT
#9
I would love to see resources and nexus energy included in the timeline. (yeah, i play protoss. who cares about mules! )
Just noticed the mouse over on the timeline which is good, but a little fiddly. I would prefer a simple xxm/xxg next to the time.

I find the visualization very helpful for planning out a BO.

Also it is hard to see what you're chrono-boosting once you start getting a few things in production at once.

for example in the 1 gate stargate build order from the icons alone it's hard to tell if you're chronoboosting the VR or the warpgate.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason48
SpeCial 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 633
firebathero 83
Zeus 64
Trap 37
910 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever368
League of Legends
JimRising 0
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS113
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5171
Liquid`Hasu1891
Other Games
summit1g6161
shahzam452
byalli404
C9.Mang0165
KnowMe107
UpATreeSC73
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream147
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 46
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur303
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 38m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 38m
Stellar Fest
15h 38m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.