• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:19
CEST 09:19
KST 16:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8815 users

Notable Starcraft 2 player name origins? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Dracid
Profile Joined December 2009
United States280 Posts
June 09 2010 19:05 GMT
#61
On June 10 2010 01:48 exnomendei wrote:
I'm obviously not a notable Starcraft 2 player, but my name's origin is simple: I actively thought of a new name and since I liked the saying "Deus Ex Machina" at the time, I decided that I wanted something in Latin.

Despite having studied (well, got it at school) Latin for three years, I butchered it: Theoretically it should be "InNomineDei", since that means In God's Name. I wanted to make it "Out of God's name" because I'm anti-religious, so the Ex is excusable (see what I did there...) but the Nomen / Nomine thing it pretty stupid. Then again, ExNomineDei sounds horrible.

Anwyay, I think names are made up at the spot a lot for most people, but a lot of people also actively think of a new screen name to pick and just base it on something they think sounds cool or has a nice theme. Pros were normal players once, so they just chose a name and stuck with it.

Look at the power rankings:

1. Flash 6. Kal
2. Effort 7. Fantasy
3. Jaedong 8. YoonJoong
4. BaBy 9. Midas
5. Snow 10. Shine[Kal]

Flash, Effors, BaBy, Snow, Fantasy and Shine are all just 'cool-sounding English names', especially for Asian people who in general love everything American (I am European btw), the other names are a lot more Korea-centric: Jaedong, YoonJoong, and possibly Kal are probably simple-sounding things that work in Korean well (and just sound awesome in English-speaking countries for the same reason English sounds cool in non-English speaking countries), and Midas, well, that name has popped up in books and tales quite often. Greek mythology is probably the oldest rendition of it, iirc.

tl;dr:

- Names chosen randomly (DeMuslim, etc.)
- Names chosen because they sound cool (Fantasy, Flash, etc.)
- Names chosen for a certain theme (TheBigOne, TheLittleOne, etc.)


Um... Jaedong and YoonJoong are their actual names.
soverRR
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden348 Posts
June 09 2010 19:41 GMT
#62
On June 10 2010 02:57 Blind wrote:
I always thought NonY had something to do with "anonymous". Makes it cool. Reminds me of that other old school bw player anon.


a-NonY-mous... Whoa, I never thought of that although I always thought it was one of the coolest nicks out there. As it turns out, it just became a lot cooler.
Rigid.BoT
Profile Joined June 2010
United States33 Posts
June 09 2010 19:53 GMT
#63

I believe it's pronounced "Kaw-Thin"


Where in Cauthon do you see an "i" sound.
NonY's #1 Fan
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
June 09 2010 19:57 GMT
#64
On June 10 2010 04:53 Rigid.BoT wrote:
Show nested quote +

I believe it's pronounced "Kaw-Thin"


Where in Cauthon do you see an "i" sound.


I'm confused by this also. I'd pronounce it "Kaw-thon"
Foreplay
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1154 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 19:59:25
June 09 2010 19:58 GMT
#65
On June 10 2010 01:43 Cain0 wrote:
Is DeMuslim a Muslim, because it would be pretty stupid if he wasnt. It would be like a asian person calling himself DeChristian

because asians can't be christians?

edit: like 5 people beat me to that.
Better than Pokebunny
potatomash3r
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia417 Posts
June 09 2010 20:03 GMT
#66
On June 09 2010 19:40 abrasion wrote:
I can imagine demuslims name could offend some - I think he should change it (doesn't offend me but I don't see the point in potentially causing issues)


Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.
~ Albus Dumbledore
Part of being mature is to accept your loss.
AdahnSC
Profile Joined March 2010
United States376 Posts
June 09 2010 20:04 GMT
#67
http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/m/mat.html

jeez people
meathook
Profile Joined December 2007
1289 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 20:08:29
June 09 2010 20:05 GMT
#68
OMG. The amount of conjecture in this thread is sickening. Also, the answer to all most (I dunno who damuslim and catchonluck are) these questions can easily be obtained by using search, which will yield detailed explanations by the players themselves. Newbs.
An ugly planet. A bug planet.
potatomash3r
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia417 Posts
June 09 2010 20:06 GMT
#69
On June 10 2010 01:48 exnomendei wrote:
Asian people who in general love everything American


Woah, hang on there. I'm asian and I don't love everything American.
Part of being mature is to accept your loss.
evoli
Profile Joined May 2010
United States333 Posts
June 09 2010 20:06 GMT
#70
How did Day9 get his name?

I was watching a daily the other day when my girlfriend strolled up and curiously watched a little bit of it with me. She asked how he picked Day9; I told her I didn't know.
General Manager for EG // twitter.com/gosutrolling
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 20:11:36
June 09 2010 20:10 GMT
#71
Aren't some of the names like (T)Light not able to translate that well? We go sure his name is Light but the korean word means something a bit different? I am probably wrong but isn't that why a lot of the korean player names in english are very basic?
Brood War forever!
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
June 09 2010 20:12 GMT
#72
On June 10 2010 01:43 Cain0 wrote:
Is DeMuslim a Muslim, because it would be pretty stupid if he wasnt. It would be like a asian person calling himself DeChristian


Are you trolling or just plain retarded? I can't tell.
asdfTT123
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States989 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 20:13:27
June 09 2010 20:12 GMT
#73
On June 10 2010 05:05 meathook wrote:
OMG. The amount of conjecture in this thread is sickening. Also, the answer to all most (I dunno who damuslim and catchonluck are) these questions can easily be obtained by using search, which will yield detailed explanations by the players themselves. Newbs.


Wow, Bro, calm down.


On June 10 2010 04:57 holy_war wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 04:53 Rigid.BoT wrote:

I believe it's pronounced "Kaw-Thin"


Where in Cauthon do you see an "i" sound.


I'm confused by this also. I'd pronounce it "Kaw-thon"


I believe he said people left and right were mispronouncing his name in a "State of the Game" podcast. His pronunciation was "Kaw-Thin".
n.Die_Jaedong <3
Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 21:24:48
June 09 2010 21:17 GMT
#74
The Wheel of Time correct pronounciation is Kaw-Thon.

Edit: but with pressure on Kaw, not on Thon as many people do, and the o in Thon is silent.
MaYuu
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Sweden516 Posts
June 09 2010 22:10 GMT
#75
On June 10 2010 06:17 Maginor wrote:
The Wheel of Time correct pronounciation is Kaw-Thon.

Edit: but with pressure on Kaw, not on Thon as many people do, and the o in Thon is silent.


My nick is Mayuu, but you actually pronounce it Jaw-JOOOOOO.
Pick a name that no one will be able to pronounce and blame yourself T_T
ehh`?
StutteR
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1903 Posts
June 09 2010 22:17 GMT
#76
On June 10 2010 05:06 evoli wrote:
How did Day9 get his name?

I was watching a daily the other day when my girlfriend strolled up and curiously watched a little bit of it with me. She asked how he picked Day9; I told her I didn't know.



[9] was his old clan and he wanted to choose a short cool name. I think night was taken or something like that so he chose day.
`~` | effOrt Movie sKyHigh forever & SEn
Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
June 09 2010 22:37 GMT
#77
Bratok is the accurate english translation of the english term "bro".
Dimaga is just a different way to say his actual first name "Dima". That's like daying Jim instead of James... only it's not shorter.
Strelok means shooter in russian.
I remember this story that White-Ra was supposed to be the white (non-asian) version of Nal_ra, but I don't think it's actually true.
Sphyra
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1 Post
June 09 2010 22:41 GMT
#78
On June 09 2010 05:51 Ikiron wrote:
If CauthonLuck is the same CauthonLuck I know that I played WoW with him lol. So if anyone knows him and can get a hold of him let me know


It's CauthonLuck from Frostwolf, he was in Shadows of the Horde (same guild I was in).
mtvacuum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States979 Posts
June 09 2010 23:21 GMT
#79
i noticed that gretorp is proterg backwards, which is protoss, terran, and zerg combined, but i'm not sure if that is the origin of his id.
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
June 09 2010 23:36 GMT
#80
On June 09 2010 21:04 7mk wrote:
Man, imagine an sc2 player with the first name Christian
now that must suck, surely he wouldnt get invited to any tournaments

Beast's first name is Christian.
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EnDerr 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2783
Rain 1799
FanTaSy 503
GuemChi 304
sSak 86
Mong 75
Bale 38
Hm[arnc] 35
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
Noble 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm183
League of Legends
JimRising 563
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King214
Other Games
summit1g7852
olofmeister320
Happy157
KnowMe133
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick727
BasetradeTV183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream46
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2218
League of Legends
• Rush1216
• Lourlo1145
• Stunt415
Other Games
• Shiphtur926
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
2h 41m
INu's Battles
3h 41m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
5h 41m
OSC
14h 56m
Replay Cast
15h 41m
OSC
1d 15h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.