• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:19
CEST 11:19
KST 18:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7909 users

Notable Starcraft 2 player name origins? - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
June 09 2010 16:47 GMT
#41
On June 10 2010 01:43 Cain0 wrote:
Is DeMuslim a Muslim, because it would be pretty stupid if he wasnt. It would be like a asian person calling himself DeChristian



His actually not muslim, he just admires the Muslims like Muhammad Ali and others.

just said it "not muslim" wow and lol
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
exnomendei
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands122 Posts
June 09 2010 16:48 GMT
#42
I'm obviously not a notable Starcraft 2 player, but my name's origin is simple: I actively thought of a new name and since I liked the saying "Deus Ex Machina" at the time, I decided that I wanted something in Latin.

Despite having studied (well, got it at school) Latin for three years, I butchered it: Theoretically it should be "InNomineDei", since that means In God's Name. I wanted to make it "Out of God's name" because I'm anti-religious, so the Ex is excusable (see what I did there...) but the Nomen / Nomine thing it pretty stupid. Then again, ExNomineDei sounds horrible.

Anwyay, I think names are made up at the spot a lot for most people, but a lot of people also actively think of a new screen name to pick and just base it on something they think sounds cool or has a nice theme. Pros were normal players once, so they just chose a name and stuck with it.

Look at the power rankings:

1. Flash 6. Kal
2. Effort 7. Fantasy
3. Jaedong 8. YoonJoong
4. BaBy 9. Midas
5. Snow 10. Shine[Kal]

Flash, Effors, BaBy, Snow, Fantasy and Shine are all just 'cool-sounding English names', especially for Asian people who in general love everything American (I am European btw), the other names are a lot more Korea-centric: Jaedong, YoonJoong, and possibly Kal are probably simple-sounding things that work in Korean well (and just sound awesome in English-speaking countries for the same reason English sounds cool in non-English speaking countries), and Midas, well, that name has popped up in books and tales quite often. Greek mythology is probably the oldest rendition of it, iirc.

tl;dr:

- Names chosen randomly (DeMuslim, etc.)
- Names chosen because they sound cool (Fantasy, Flash, etc.)
- Names chosen for a certain theme (TheBigOne, TheLittleOne, etc.)
Trying something wacky, expanding it, adjusting it, perfecting it -> Build order
Skyze
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada2324 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 16:55:20
June 09 2010 16:54 GMT
#43
SkyZerg = Skyze, but also pronounced the same as "Skies" (not that im notable, just figured id say it)

Id be curious to know about Brat_OK.. odd name.. or Strelok, Nony?
Canada Gaming ~~ The-Feared
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
June 09 2010 16:58 GMT
#44
Nothing can beat OrangeMarmalaid it would be neat if he was a SC pro but alas he is not.
Brood War forever!
bucket
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada6 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 17:03:19
June 09 2010 17:01 GMT
#45
'Strelok' literally means 'rifleman', 'archer', or 'shooter' in general, in Russian; I'm pretty sure he's from that area as well. I don't know whether the nickname has any additional significance.
Deleted User 61629
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1664 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 17:04:17
June 09 2010 17:03 GMT
#46
--- Nuked ---
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
June 09 2010 17:04 GMT
#47
For Artosis... it's art + the suffix -osis. He was really into arts and crafts when he was young. Actually he still is: when I went to Korea, he asked if I could bring some uncooked macaroni so that he could glue it to papers and make pretty designs.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
June 09 2010 17:04 GMT
#48
On June 09 2010 20:50 Turbo.Tactics wrote:
Show nested quote +
It's unbelievably ridiculously that DeMuslim's name could offend anyone.

"Not Muslim" oooooh it's got the word muslim in it, can't say that!


Would any other religion care if his name was DeTHEIRRELIGION? Would anyone at all care?
Don't you see how the prohibition of the word causes more issues than the word itself?


Maybe I should rename myself "DeJew" and since I'm german it's even more offending to people

-.-

Rofl "DeJew". Dunno why that sounds soooo wrong.

On June 10 2010 00:53 IdrA wrote:
http://www.idra.com/
im a big fan of their work

Fiat Lux.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 17:06:11
June 09 2010 17:05 GMT
#49
Brat_OK one of those words means brother and one means something else some russian can explain. It was discussed in TSL2

Nony just sounds cool I guess.

EDIT: damn too late.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 17:08:40
June 09 2010 17:07 GMT
#50
On June 10 2010 02:05 Slayer91 wrote:
Brat_OK one of those words means brother and one means something else some russian can explain. It was discussed in TSL2

Nony just sounds cool I guess.

EDIT: damn too late.

Bratok is the way mafia gangster call each other iirc. Brat-OK is like a joke with bratok and OK.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Rigid.BoT
Profile Joined June 2010
United States33 Posts
June 09 2010 17:12 GMT
#51
On June 10 2010 01:43 Cain0 wrote:
Is DeMuslim a Muslim, because it would be pretty stupid if he wasnt. It would be like a asian person calling himself DeChristian


Asians can be christians too lol, and Christian is a name for a person unlike Muslim
NonY's #1 Fan
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
June 09 2010 17:36 GMT
#52
CauthonLuck is abbreviated to Cluck because nobody knew how to pronounce Cauthon. As to why NonY hasn't changed even though nobody knows how to pronounce NonY either, I cannot say.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
gdroxor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States639 Posts
June 09 2010 17:47 GMT
#53
On June 10 2010 02:36 Liquid`NonY wrote:
CauthonLuck is abbreviated to Cluck because nobody knew how to pronounce Cauthon. As to why NonY hasn't changed even though nobody knows how to pronounce NonY either, I cannot say.


I hear it's pronounced 'Kevin'
Mr.Eternity
Profile Joined May 2010
United States143 Posts
June 09 2010 17:51 GMT
#54
On June 10 2010 01:43 Cain0 wrote:
Is DeMuslim a Muslim, because it would be pretty stupid if he wasnt. It would be like a asian person calling himself DeChristian


wow so asians cant be christans now...
"Because nobody can make it alone"
Chaoz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States507 Posts
June 09 2010 17:52 GMT
#55
Explain yours, Nony; it's probably my favorite id.
Blind
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States2529 Posts
June 09 2010 17:57 GMT
#56
I always thought NonY had something to do with "anonymous". Makes it cool. Reminds me of that other old school bw player anon.
rastaban
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2294 Posts
June 09 2010 18:01 GMT
#57
On June 10 2010 02:36 Liquid`NonY wrote:
CauthonLuck is abbreviated to Cluck because nobody knew how to pronounce Cauthon. As to why NonY hasn't changed even though nobody knows how to pronounce NonY either, I cannot say.


Best podcast ever!

We still need to know the origins of NonY, fess up.
Tyler: "...damn it, that's StarCraft. Opening doors is what we do. Being the first to find food is the greatest pleasure a player can have!"
FrogOfWar
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany1406 Posts
June 09 2010 18:09 GMT
#58
On June 10 2010 01:42 Backpack wrote:
Idra is also italian for Hydra. Not sure if they are related.

Though it's kinda funny because if you played in Italian, zerg would have Idralisca ^^


There you go:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=120249
asdfTT123
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States989 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-09 18:37:01
June 09 2010 18:24 GMT
#59
On June 10 2010 02:36 Liquid`NonY wrote:
CauthonLuck is abbreviated to Cluck because nobody knew how to pronounce Cauthon. As to why NonY hasn't changed even though nobody knows how to pronounce NonY either, I cannot say.


I believe it's pronounced "Kaw-Thin" and not "Kuh-Thon" like many pronounce it. If I had to take a guess, I would say your name was intended to be pronounced as "New-nie".


On June 10 2010 02:04 Liquid`NonY wrote:
For Artosis... it's art + the suffix -osis. He was really into arts and crafts when he was young. Actually he still is: when I went to Korea, he asked if I could bring some uncooked macaroni so that he could glue it to papers and make pretty designs.


Are you serious? -.- What does the suffix "-osis" add to this? I took you seriously until you mentioned the "pretty designs".
n.Die_Jaedong <3
Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
June 09 2010 19:00 GMT
#60
On June 10 2010 03:24 asdfTT123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 02:36 Liquid`NonY wrote:
CauthonLuck is abbreviated to Cluck because nobody knew how to pronounce Cauthon. As to why NonY hasn't changed even though nobody knows how to pronounce NonY either, I cannot say.


I believe it's pronounced "Kaw-Thin" and not "Kuh-Thon" like many pronounce it. If I had to take a guess, I would say your name was intended to be pronounced as "New-nie".


Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 02:04 Liquid`NonY wrote:
For Artosis... it's art + the suffix -osis. He was really into arts and crafts when he was young. Actually he still is: when I went to Korea, he asked if I could bring some uncooked macaroni so that he could glue it to papers and make pretty designs.


Are you serious? -.- What does the suffix "-osis" add to this? I took you seriously until you mentioned the "pretty designs".


Yes, he is serious. It is impossible to get hold of uncooked macaroni in Korea. -osis means process, so it would mean 'Art process'.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 161
EnDerr 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12289
Hyuk 423
Stork 171
Soma 170
actioN 95
Rush 84
Mong 74
EffOrt 72
Killer 64
Shinee 62
[ Show more ]
NotJumperer 58
Yoon 49
ToSsGirL 47
Shine 42
Bale 35
Sharp 29
Noble 28
Hm[arnc] 24
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
yabsab 16
Sacsri 12
HiyA 5
Dota 2
Gorgc1692
League of Legends
JimRising 430
Counter-Strike
olofmeister915
shoxiejesuss912
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King144
Other Games
gofns24263
summit1g7806
singsing1170
ceh9511
crisheroes148
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick691
BasetradeTV153
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 26
• StrangeGG 6
• killerbeecast2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV162
• lizZardDota2160
League of Legends
• Stunt403
Other Games
• Shiphtur721
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
41m
INu's Battles
1h 41m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
3h 41m
OSC
12h 56m
Replay Cast
13h 41m
OSC
1d 13h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.