• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:42
CEST 21:42
KST 04:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12733 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2013 - Page 6

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 180 Next
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-10 20:32:50
January 10 2013 20:25 GMT
#101
In case anyone is interested in some exercise science research, AM just put out a nice little article on multiple rep ranges.

Powerlifters, strongmen, and bodybuilders – while they may follow vastly different training systems, the successful among them have one thing in common: they all have above-average levels of muscle mass.

Powerlifters and strongmen are mammoth-like, usually with high levels of muscle mass combined with similar levels of body fat, a result of their overall focus on performance over aesthetics.

Bodybuilders, on the other hand, typically have even greater levels of muscle mass than their strength-focused relatives but lower body fat levels, and a balanced, muscular physique indicative of the aesthetic focus of their training.

Each group has different approaches to decidedly different athletic pursuits, yet similar outcomes in muscle size and strength. Perhaps similarities in their training might provide us with valuable insight into the optimal way to train for mass and strength development.


Source

In case you are wondering, the article does include a fair bit of actual research
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
January 10 2013 23:42 GMT
#102
On January 11 2013 03:13 Necosarius wrote:
Finally a new article on Leangains! I wish Berkhan would write more often :/

Pretty sombre article, and fairly indicative that he will keep up his absentee shenanigans.

Bullshit is rampant, I feel for him.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
HornyHerring
Profile Joined March 2011
Papua New Guinea1059 Posts
January 11 2013 01:14 GMT
#103
If we're on the leangains/if subject, does anyone here train fasted? I don't really wanna buy supplements so the 10g BCAA prior to fast training is a bit of a problem for me. Instead I found this: http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2011/12/protein-powders-before-fasted-weight.html basically it says that you can exchange the BCAA's with 2 hard boiled egg whites around an hour before the training. What do you guys think?
oh, hai
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 11 2013 01:56 GMT
#104
Ok to those of you who take Vit D, how many µg per day?


For quite a while I have been taking a multivitamin with 5µg in it, and a cod liver/vitA/vitD tablet which has another 5µg in it. 5µg is supposed to be the RDA, but I'm not sure what to aim for.

The second tablet is running out though so I bought some tablets with just vit D in, and they're 25µg per tablet, which in comparison strikes me as a lot.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
January 11 2013 02:24 GMT
#105
I take 6k IU but I just googled how to convert that and I'm now confused.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
GuiltyJerk
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States584 Posts
January 11 2013 02:32 GMT
#106
On January 11 2013 10:14 HornyHerring wrote:
If we're on the leangains/if subject, does anyone here train fasted? I don't really wanna buy supplements so the 10g BCAA prior to fast training is a bit of a problem for me. Instead I found this: http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2011/12/protein-powders-before-fasted-weight.html basically it says that you can exchange the BCAA's with 2 hard boiled egg whites around an hour before the training. What do you guys think?



I just train fasted and have some coffee during the morning before I work out. If my workout is in the mid afternoon I have a small snack, I just ordered some BCAAs though so when I get them I'll see how/if they change how my fasted workouts feel
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
January 11 2013 02:34 GMT
#107
If I remember correctly Eshlow suggests 10 000 IU/day if you don't spend much time outside in the sun. 10 000 IU would be 250 µg (link).

Here is an article he wrote on Vit D: link

I just skimmed through it and I think it said 10k IU/day for 4-8 weeks and then go down to 5k IU.
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 11 2013 03:41 GMT
#108
Ok brilliant, thanks for the link, and to eshlow for writing the article!

That seems like a shit load of vit D, I'll give it a go.
Kolya504
Profile Joined April 2011
25 Posts
January 11 2013 04:27 GMT
#109
Me: 23, male, 5'11 172 lbs. I'd like to increase my bench/squat/deadlift, lose 10 lbs of fat, and get into decent cardiovascular health (I am not currently) during the course of this year. I have a gym / pool membership.

Any general thoughts? Also, what do you all think of workout programs like Insanity or P90x? I haven't done either but thought about trying one. I work full time and sometimes its hard to motivate myself to exercise after work if its not on the calendar.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 11 2013 04:39 GMT
#110
On January 11 2013 13:27 Kolya504 wrote:
Me: 23, male, 5'11 172 lbs. I'd like to increase my bench/squat/deadlift, lose 10 lbs of fat, and get into decent cardiovascular health (I am not currently) during the course of this year. I have a gym / pool membership.

Any general thoughts? Also, what do you all think of workout programs like Insanity or P90x? I haven't done either but thought about trying one. I work full time and sometimes its hard to motivate myself to exercise after work if its not on the calendar.

What is your fitness history? Have you played any sports, and are you new to the gym?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
GuiltyJerk
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States584 Posts
January 11 2013 04:58 GMT
#111
On January 11 2013 13:27 Kolya504 wrote:
Me: 23, male, 5'11 172 lbs. I'd like to increase my bench/squat/deadlift, lose 10 lbs of fat, and get into decent cardiovascular health (I am not currently) during the course of this year. I have a gym / pool membership.

Any general thoughts? Also, what do you all think of workout programs like Insanity or P90x? I haven't done either but thought about trying one. I work full time and sometimes its hard to motivate myself to exercise after work if its not on the calendar.



IMO if you just do Starting Strength you'll see good gains across the board. Lifting of course is directly related to your bench/squat/DL goals, lifting will put muscle on you as fat comes off, and it has a pretty remarkable effect on cardiovascular health in the untrained person.

As far as P90X/Insanity, I've done some P90X with a friend, it's pretty fun, but mostly muscular endurance, I don't think it would help towards your goals so much (would help with the cardio I guess, could do it on non lifting days, depends on how much time you have). If you want a structured program, Starting Strength is good, and get into the habit of always going to the gym on gym days even if you have a shitty workout, make it part of your normal routine so that it will feel weird if you skip a session and eventually you'll be doing good workouts (nearly) every day that you're in the gym

Best of luck, hope that helped!
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-11 09:46:29
January 11 2013 08:34 GMT
#112
w00t!

First post in the health and fitness initiative!

Current weight: 185. Height: 5'10"

Max Bench: 235 (set tonight!)
Max Squat: Not sure, finished last week at 5x235
Max Deadlift: Not sure, finished last week at 5x240

Goals:
Long term: Look like this guy - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdeac5DAWm1r43hpwo1_500.jpg
Short term: 250 bench, Squat 325, Deadlift 350

I'm not really sure where I should be in terms of maxes on squats and deads. This week I'll be setting maxes on both.

Anyone remember that website TL peeps used to be so amped about where you enter your progress and level up and stuff? Definitely wanting to sign up there.

<3 TL Fitness Initiative!

edited cuz I was totally wrong about my Squat and Deads.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
January 11 2013 08:45 GMT
#113
Welcome fitocracy.com gogo and add the TLHF people there
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
January 11 2013 08:54 GMT
#114
Holy cow, you certainly don't look like 185lb on stream, I always viewed you as some tiny skinny guy. Never figured you were into strength training, but coherent with our elitist attitude in here: You squat and deadlift, so now I respect you a little more.
Good luck with your goals and welcome.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
January 11 2013 09:45 GMT
#115
On January 11 2013 17:45 zatic wrote:
Welcome fitocracy.com gogo and add the TLHF people there


Is there an easy way to find the TLHF peeps?
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
January 11 2013 10:05 GMT
#116
The group is called teamliquid.net, you should find it with a normal search. You don't need an invite I don't think, not exactly sure how this works.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
January 11 2013 10:22 GMT
#117
On January 11 2013 19:05 Malinor wrote:
The group is called teamliquid.net, you should find it with a normal search. You don't need an invite I don't think, not exactly sure how this works.


Got it! Thanks. Just joined the group, and even added a pic of me in my undies. Enjoy, ladies. ('cuz they're rampant on TL, right? Right?)
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
January 11 2013 11:38 GMT
#118
On January 11 2013 13:27 Kolya504 wrote:
Me: 23, male, 5'11 172 lbs. I'd like to increase my bench/squat/deadlift, lose 10 lbs of fat, and get into decent cardiovascular health (I am not currently) during the course of this year. I have a gym / pool membership.

Any general thoughts? Also, what do you all think of workout programs like Insanity or P90x? I haven't done either but thought about trying one. I work full time and sometimes its hard to motivate myself to exercise after work if its not on the calendar.

don't set arbitrary weight goals.

You also need to have priorities in training. Find out what you truly want and then do some research and build a program around it. If you want bigger lifts then get into weight training, if you want better cardio pick up running or HIIT or something.

glyo
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 11 2013 17:31 GMT
#119
On January 11 2013 12:41 Deadeight wrote:
Ok brilliant, thanks for the link, and to eshlow for writing the article!

That seems like a shit load of vit D, I'll give it a go.


10k for a couple weeks to normalize.

Then 5k after that to maintain.

If not out in the sun a lot.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
January 11 2013 19:12 GMT
#120
So arms are healed, chest is fine, now it's time for my new injury: knees. Sons of bitches have started to hurt while sitting down. No problem when walking around or doing squats, but when I sit down and relax my leg both knees start to hurt (mostly right though).

Well I get pissed goddamniiiit!

On a positive note, strength is coming back. Squatted 80kg 4x5 and it felt like babby weight, gonna start going up again. You know, unless my knees explode.

Deadlifted 100kg and it felt light. That was nice, considering 115kg used to be my old PR. Pretty good OP as well.

A resolutionist was in the squat rack today. He was doing what can only be described as the worm (the dance move), up on a medicine ball which was up on a bench. In the squat rack.

[image loading]
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 180 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1446
TKL 466
IndyStarCraft 292
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1446
TKL 466
IndyStarCraft 292
EmSc Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23664
Calm 2286
Shuttle 355
Mini 168
White-Ra 147
ZZZero.O 107
firebathero 77
scan(afreeca) 19
soO 12
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc11484
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1387
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4251
Liquid`Hasu565
MindelVK27
Other Games
summit1g5910
Liquid`RaSZi2259
fl0m1635
FrodaN1407
B2W.Neo745
olofmeister654
Khaldor478
Beastyqt342
Livibee185
crisheroes133
Pyrionflax108
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick771
BasetradeTV211
StarCraft 2
angryscii 20
EmSc Tv 10
EmSc2Tv 10
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 26
• Adnapsc2 12
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach43
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• blackmanpl 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1290
• Shiphtur691
• WagamamaTV332
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 19m
Replay Cast
3h 19m
OSC
16h 19m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.