• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:42
CEST 15:42
KST 22:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7706 users

[G] Bronze to Masters, Improving Mechanics

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 65 66 67 Next
Filter
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada620 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 03:11:37
April 20 2012 09:38 GMT
#1
Disclaimer: This guide is based around the idea of improving, not a specific build order. The people that will get the most out of this guide are intelligent and able to project the ideas to their race, or their playstyle. Terran players will be able to get a lot out of it the easiest, but other races can easily transfer the ideas over. This is about becoming a macro beast, NOT cheesing.

Introduction: I watch a lot of games, I read a ton of guides. I love this game and that's why I wanted to do this. I'm a masters level player on NA, nothing special but I play an extremely strong macro style. When I look around at all the newbie guides available, when I look at the help me threads or the battle.net forums all I see are people asking very specific questions and getting answers, but I don't see anything that really hits the root of the problem for people. There's some fantastic guides out there on youtube, and of course there's the Day9 daily. I felt something was missing though, everybody talks about making workers but nobody nobody has put together something detailed and concrete on the matter. There's tons of great players talking over a build order or talking while they play but there's almost nothing out there that has a huge amount of preplanning and effort put into it, and I want to change that. (day9 being the exception, I gained tons of respect for how much he much put into each daily.)

I've wanted to do this guide for a very long time, but I finally decided to go ahead and do it. I remember Day9 saying on a regular basis to just go do it if you wanted to do anything. I've created several videos on the core portions of the game to try and help people grow. The videos detail taking your game from the very start of making workers, to being able to make huge armies with stellar upgrades at masters level. I do this slowly, layering in new elements of play until you're ready to macro like a master (or better).

The goal with this, is that by the time you finish this guide and can execute it in your sleep you won't simply be following a build order... you'll have a much deeper understanding of the game. The goal is that when you're finished with the first 9 videos you'll be able to watch a pro play a game and be able to jump into an ai game and figure out his build on your own. No matter your skill level, measure yourself up to the benchmarks I set and you'll see improvement in your game. I will provide teaching episodes, and gameplay ones where I emulate the lessons against that leagues opponents.

Start at the beginning, if you're good you'll rip through the first few episodes... but if you're not able to hit the standards set early, you won't hit the ones late. The idea here is to layer in new parts of your gameplay, if you try to do everything at once it will feel very overwhelming. As you start to perfect concepts though, you can shift your concentration over to the new pieces. The videos are the most important part of this guide, I spent a lot of time recording the audio and editing them. However I try to explain what is in the video, and explain each concept as well in this thread.

Episodes 1+2: The Basics, Bronze League Demonstrations
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SES1IAGlwDU

This is the first episode, it's a bit of an introduction to the series. This really video stresses the importance of macro to build the very core basic of making workers, and taking your natural. I setup some benchmarks for worker production @ 10 minutes off a blind 1 barracks fast expand. This episode is not very complicated, and a great way to introduce people to the concepts I want to show off.

You can easily apply this concept to other races and different build orders. Just play a game against the very easy cpu and use your normal build. Never miss a probe, scv or inject and see how it turns out @ 10 minutes (earlier for zerg if you're counting drones). Use this as your measurement going forward and compare it against replays of games you've played. This way when you go to analyze a replay you can simply skip to a certain time and see if your core wasn't strong, thus costing you the game.

Benchmarks:
3:45 Natural
50 Scv's @ 10 minutes.


Episodes 3+4: Building Groups, Silver League Demonstrations
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQunDbsElg

This episode is where things get different from build orders, and "make more stuff". I try to teach out the idea of building groups in this video, and using your resources to dictate what you make. The idea of making two barracks, then the addons when you have the gas and finally a factory when you get the gas for that too is much more simple than build 2 barracks @25 food, 2 reactors and a tech lab @ 32 food and a factory at 39 food.

Allowing your resources to dictate your build also makes it very simple to modify things on the fly with no impact, and to apply your skills to different builds much, much easier. One example of this is getting a tech lab on your factory for tanks and using the starport naked instead of getting the reactor for the starport on the factory and getting medivacs for pure bio. Both can be accomplished off the same gas, and the same buildings but both would have vastly different "Food" build orders by the time you got later into the game.

Building groups also provide one more thing that is absolutely vital to playing well. They let you deal with crisis extremely well. If something happens and your build order gets totally thrown out, like losing a bunch of scv's to dt's you know how to stabilize. With a build order you'll be totally lost, but when you use your resources to dictate your buildings you'll be in great shape. It's also awesome to know exactly what to get after you stabilize.

Benchmarks:
50 Scv's @ 10 minutes
3:45 Natural Started
6:50 Factory Started -> Take Third Gas
7:55 Starport Started -> Reactor Started on Fact (or techlab for tanks/naked starport vacs)
10 Minute Push Out With 100 Food of Units


Episodes 5+6: Tech and Timing, Gold League Demonstrations
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3YQGubGR_4

WarningThis episode will be brutal if you can't hit the benchmarks from the previous episodes. This episode will be difficult, even for higher level players to accomplish. I teach out tech, and timing attacks in this video. Timing attacks are straight forward and I teach a fairly basic one here. This is where things start to become more about practice, but the lessons are helpful.

Tons and tons of players watch pro's tech extremely fast. This is problematic for most people though, because they simply try to tech way too fast. Some pros will take big risks to tech, they understand that but for the average joe our control simply isn't good enough to handle those risks. Fast tech is also deceiving, it's not very common to see 3/3 bio at 15 minutes. It's easy to get 3/3 safely by 18 minutes or so, which is still extremely fast and I try to plant to seeds to doing this here.

The idea of layering in new parts of your play is nothing new, but after this lesson you should feel much more solid in your play if you started in a lower league. By this point you've only dealt with, and mastered two bases. You should also be able to really tweak things by this point. Being able to transfer over these ideas to a totally different build shouldn't be a problem.

Benchmarks:
50 Scv's @ 10 minutes
3:45 Natural Started
6:50 Factory Started -> Take Third Gas
7:25 Eng Bay
7:55 Starport Started -> Reactor Started on Fact (or techlab for tanks/naked starport vacs)
10 Minute Push Out With 100 Food of Units
+1 Attack @ 10:50
Stim @10:00-10:10


Episode 7: Scouting
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZDqk6YqN1w
This video is a very basic overview of scouting. The main concept here is really simple, don't try to pinpoint his build try to group what he can do. Examples of that are Toss with one base and two gas, that's probably DT's, Void Ray all in, Blink Stalker all in or a sentry expand. If you build 10 bunkers and 8 turrets to defend that, but he expands you lose the game.

For experienced players this video won't be very interesting or important, but I did feel it was something vital to make for players that struggle with scouting. This one is far from perfect, but it's a pretty good overview of some good techniques to use. I do skip over scouting the front here because that's impossible to cover in a short amount of time, and very subjective. You also get a lot better at that with experience.


Episodes 8+9: Taking a Third and Adding Production, Plat League Demonstration
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udr9BtFVWGc

This video is tough. Players that are able to accomplish the benchmarks here are going to be playing mechanically at a masters level, easily. This doesn't mean your micro etc is all there, but mechanically your macro will be masters level. I'm still practicing trying to hit the benchmarks I've set here on any kind of regular basis, and doing it in a game while trying to micro etc really makes it tough. The point here is to be able to take a safe third, with max saturation already and have a ton of production very quickly.

The point behind these videos is not to simply win at the level they're aimed at, but absolutely dominate. I don't think plat players can just walk in and hit these benchmarks, but I do think they can with practice. I also think that if they can hit these in games they'll have no issues getting to masters.

Benchmarks
65 Scv's @ 12:30
Third Landed @ 12:40
9 Barracks by 14 Minutes
+2, +1 Infantry @ 14-15 Minutes
Combat Shield Finished
200 Supply Army @ 14 Minutes


Conclusion: I spoke with Zatic about posting this here, in fact he suggested it. I felt that this was the right time to post my series. I will be making more videos in the future, and covering the other two races. I do feel though that the series to this point will help somebody become a very strong macro player, and that it can be a great place to point people here who need help at lower levels. I will be covering things like drops, multi pronged attacks, properly engaging a tough army however there's already tons of stuff out there like that. Those videos will be best suited to people that like my videos and appreciate the effort I put into them.

If you have comments, suggestions, questions or advice then please post it. The only thing I really ask is for things to be talked about in terms of learning and getting better, not in a strict build order fashion.

M youtube channel, contains more videos with different topics
My stream if you want to watch me play live

Replay Packs
Bronze Level Reps
Silver Level Reps
Gold Level Reps
Plat Level Reps
Diamond Level Reps
Masters Level Reps

Special Thanks: I have loved working on these videos, it's been one of the most rewarding things I've done in a long time. Reading all the positive comments from the fellow nerds I've managed to help in my own way is awesome. There are two people however who's attitudes I've admired for a long time.

Day9, I just wanted to thank you for your ever positive attitude. You're positive about everything you do, and that's something I work hard to strive for.

TotalBiscuit, I just wanted to say that I appreciate your quality attitude when it comes to content. I always want my videos, and my channel to only contain worthwhile stuff and not just a big stack of me playing a game with commentary like the other 90% of youtube lets plays. I've actually thrown out a couple videos completely because I didn't feel they were up to snuff.
Live hard, live free.
`dunedain
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
657 Posts
April 20 2012 09:46 GMT
#2
These videos are legit. Filter knows what he's talking about.
Everyone always tells you to work on your mechanics, but never really went into precise details of worker numbers or production facilities. After working with these benchmarks, I can just feel a change in my game.

Everything works smoother now. I can really focus my time on strategy and other other essential things when I'm sure that I have good, strong macro in the background supporting me. These videos really helped a lot in guiding me towards proper benchmarks and crazy strong economy. For that, I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks again Filter, you bad ass mofo!
"In order to be created, a work of art must first make use of the dark forces of the soul." ~Albert Camus
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
April 20 2012 11:40 GMT
#3
I started watching these a few days ago, and it's amazing. I'm a platinum zerg player, but I still think it's really fun to play around from the bronze stage, especially to get better as terran. I will also use these concepts to help one of my friends get better.

Overall, I think this series is more or less THE best teaching material for new players, especially terran ones, and you should be commended for it.
tcsgamer
Profile Joined April 2012
1 Post
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 14:55:29
April 20 2012 14:51 GMT
#4
Filter,

I just subscribed to this forum just to say thanks for these videos.

I'm a Gold player (...I have no idea how that happened...) that has came back to the game. I've been looking for something like this for a while. I thought the Bronze benchmarks would be a piece pf cake, but getting 50 SCVs at 10 min is not as easy as it sounds for an old guy (39) like me. I finally got that benchmark up to 44 SCVs last night (..up from 32 when I started...), so...I can be taught apparently.

Keep up the great work.
taddel
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany13 Posts
April 20 2012 14:52 GMT
#5
I didn't watch the videos yet but I read the text and it looks really promising to me. I like the concept that you have strict benchmarks so you can easily measure your progress. I am a plat Terran and will definitely give this a try. I think this thread deserves a lot more attention.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
April 20 2012 15:06 GMT
#6
These videos are an excellent resource for players looking to learn the basics and improve their mechanics. I can tell a lot of work went into putting the videos together, so thank you Filter! I will recommend them to friends.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Banja
Profile Joined June 2011
United States11 Posts
April 20 2012 15:17 GMT
#7
As a random player since day 1 that STRUGGLES with TvAnything I love your face!
sephroth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States7 Posts
April 20 2012 16:31 GMT
#8
This is by far one of the best video series I have come across. I started these at platinum/diamond level and I watched these from video 1+ and greatly helped my mechanics and knowledge about how important it is to have a good economy and production.

Thanks Filter for doing such an awesome job!
Haelon
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada5 Posts
April 20 2012 17:10 GMT
#9
Perfect. I'm just coming back for a year's hiatus and this is exactly what I need to get back in the saddle. Looks like what I've been practicing in YABOT is pretty similar to your goals, but now I have something definitive to work on. Thanks for posting this!
TheFlock
Profile Joined September 2011
United States389 Posts
April 20 2012 17:44 GMT
#10
Haven't had the chance to check the videos yet, but definitely will the first chance I get! This looks like a great guide and exactly what I've been needing. Been trying to break out of Silver for the longest time and this season i did it on my second game. All my friends are in Plat/Diamond so i've struggled trying to get to their level.

From practicing a lot, I know that my micro skill is far above my league but it is definitely my macro that fails me. I'm sure this guide will help me a ton!

Thank You for your hard work and know that it is greatly appreciated :D
Maru | DeMusliM | TLO
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
April 20 2012 18:02 GMT
#11
200 supply at 14:00?.... I don't think I've ever hit that in a game ever.. In your vid you had 153, plus 21 dead units means 174.. Not to try and nit pick but 26 food is quite a lot to be missing, I think 15:00 is a much better bench mark. Other than that, seriously good work on these videos, I think they have a lot to offer
Warzilla
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic311 Posts
April 20 2012 18:10 GMT
#12
On April 20 2012 20:40 Tobberoth wrote:
I started watching these a few days ago, and it's amazing. I'm a platinum zerg player, but I still think it's really fun to play around from the bronze stage, especially to get better as terran. I will also use these concepts to help one of my friends get better.

Overall, I think this series is more or less THE best teaching material for new players, especially terran ones, and you should be commended for it.


Dont throw day9 out of the boat just yet :D
"AFTER LOST GAME - I usually run around in circles yelling "WHY OH GOD WHY" in my room, pointing towards the sky. After 5 to 10min ,i get tired and go back to playing"
Ullis
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden163 Posts
April 20 2012 19:52 GMT
#13
I've watched these videos and I just want to echo that they're well done and well explained. They are clear and concise. Top notch job, really.

And also it makes me hopeful that there will be more macro terrans and less 1-1-1 ..
TheRealDudeMan
Profile Joined April 2011
United States213 Posts
April 20 2012 20:10 GMT
#14
I will surely link this to everyone I meet, who is struggling with their "stagnant" league placement.
"They claim that we violent. We named after Tyrants. This revolution won't be televised we keep it silent."
SecretAg3nt
Profile Joined April 2012
1 Post
April 20 2012 20:23 GMT
#15
On April 21 2012 03:02 phiinix wrote:
200 supply at 14:00?.... I don't think I've ever hit that in a game ever.. In your vid you had 153, plus 21 dead units means 174.. Not to try and nit pick but 26 food is quite a lot to be missing, I think 15:00 is a much better bench mark. Other than that, seriously good work on these videos, I think they have a lot to offer



I'm a gold player and did it first try against a computer. Obviously much more happens in a real game so it's much harder, but it definitely isn't outrageous to max around 14:00, just takes some practice.
acgFork
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada397 Posts
April 20 2012 20:32 GMT
#16
This is amazing. Thank you.
acgFork 208
Awfa
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1 Post
April 20 2012 20:39 GMT
#17
These videos are very high quality. I can't wait for the Zerg ones!
coppuh
Profile Joined March 2012
United States9 Posts
April 20 2012 20:58 GMT
#18
This is great. I can safely say that after just watching a few of these videos that it has helped more than any other tutorial that I've watched (and I've seen quite a few.)
enigamI
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada385 Posts
April 20 2012 22:01 GMT
#19
Love these. So helpful.
Solar_21
Profile Joined February 2012
United States5 Posts
April 20 2012 22:07 GMT
#20
Enjoying these videos. Thank you for posting!
1 2 3 4 5 65 66 67 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1541
WardiTV885
OGKoka 239
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8090
Bisu 2684
FanTaSy 2619
Jaedong 1579
Shuttle 1400
Horang2 671
EffOrt 519
BeSt 434
Stork 328
actioN 323
[ Show more ]
Larva 322
Mini 254
Mind 111
Barracks 104
Zeus 103
910 95
Sea.KH 70
Snow 67
Mong 57
hero 40
ToSsGirL 38
Sexy 31
Bale 30
Shinee 29
soO 27
Killer 26
sorry 26
JYJ 24
Aegong 22
Yoon 22
Free 19
HiyA 18
Shine 17
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 8
zelot 8
Icarus 6
Noble 5
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc4826
qojqva1983
Dendi1041
febbydoto33
Counter-Strike
fl0m1716
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko473
Other Games
singsing2714
olofmeister1153
hiko1058
B2W.Neo709
Livibee650
crisheroes339
XaKoH 290
XBOCT233
Pyrionflax216
Hui .194
Liquid`VortiX170
QueenE59
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2601
• Jankos2070
Other Games
• WagamamaTV180
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 18m
Replay Cast
9h 18m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 18m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
21h 18m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.