• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:10
CEST 01:10
KST 08:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War375.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7934 users

Another game from me soon...?

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 09 2010 06:30 GMT
#1
I'm thinking of making another game to mod while I have some off-time in the near future. Since Zona's bot seems to have / will be having a monopoly () over the very standard versions of the game, should I do something akin to the semi-standard (more power roles, but general town against mafia) or something weirder, like Ace's or Caller's games?

Incidentally, I liked the Russian Mafia one with guns. Hmm.
Thoughts?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-09 06:43:57
April 09 2010 06:40 GMT
#2
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.
靈魂交響曲
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
April 09 2010 07:12 GMT
#3
or something weirder, like Ace's or Caller's games?
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 09 2010 07:14 GMT
#4
I am with fishball on this matter. As such I endorse everything he said.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 09 2010 07:34 GMT
#5
Sounds nice, I really do enjoy those somewhat standard types of games as well...
I somewhat disdain clues since people tend to go crazy over them (partially inherited this disdain from Incog), but they generate activity, which is what mafia games really need. Perhaps I'll make one of the 20-30 people games with some semi-standard power roles, add clues, and shake and bake.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
April 09 2010 11:36 GMT
#6
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.

I'm planning on hosting one of these in a few weeks after I finish with school. Also, I agree. The micro games seem to just be missing something to me. I don't think I will be playing in one any time soon either.

Side note: flamewheel, when did zona's micro games become "standard?" The vast majority of games on TL have been 30+ players.
Uff Da
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
April 09 2010 12:50 GMT
#7
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.


This.

When does Mafia ... XXI (I think) begin?
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
RebirthOfLeGenD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
USA5860 Posts
April 09 2010 12:55 GMT
#8
I liked Zona's games, but they seem they are all going the same basic path. In general there does not seem to be much room for innovation or change in how the game goes about. It was good for working on my behavior analysis, but besides that i prefer larger games that have more variations to them. Where role claims don't have an obvious course of action.
Be a man, Become a Legend. TL Mafia Forum Ask for access!!
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
April 09 2010 16:27 GMT
#9
On April 09 2010 21:50 Amber[LighT] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.


This.

When does Mafia ... XXI (I think) begin?

Probably around May 1 if I'm the one who hosts it.
Uff Da
XeliN
Profile Joined June 2009
United Kingdom1755 Posts
April 09 2010 17:12 GMT
#10
If someone could host a mini game apart from Zona so I could skip that as per my ban and play in the XXI game that would be swell.
Adonai bless
Infundibulum
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States2552 Posts
April 09 2010 17:39 GMT
#11
I still like Zona's mafias-in-space idea
LoL NA: MothLite == Steam: p0nd
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 09 2010 18:06 GMT
#12
On April 09 2010 20:36 Qatol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.

I'm planning on hosting one of these in a few weeks after I finish with school. Also, I agree. The micro games seem to just be missing something to me. I don't think I will be playing in one any time soon either.

Side note: flamewheel, when did zona's micro games become "standard?" The vast majority of games on TL have been 30+ players.

Not standard as in TL standard, but standard as 'an accepted form of mafia', like on mafiascum and such in the sense that C9 games can be set up easily.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 09 2010 18:08 GMT
#13
On April 10 2010 01:27 Qatol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2010 21:50 Amber[LighT] wrote:
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.


This.

When does Mafia ... XXI (I think) begin?

Probably around May 1 if I'm the one who hosts it.

I think I can get one started around Mid-April, if you guys will have it. If it's 20-30 people it shouldn't conflict with Qatol's game in timing.

And would this be XXI? Does Ace's game count toward numbering?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
April 09 2010 18:20 GMT
#14
I'd say only fairly standard games with a decent pool of players (25+) gets numbering.
靈魂交響曲
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 09 2010 18:22 GMT
#15
Caller's Russian game got numbered. It was between Incognito's "standard" 18 and my 20.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
April 09 2010 18:43 GMT
#16
I'm not saying his didn't, but rather more of a suggestion as a guideline for future game naming.
靈魂交響曲
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
April 09 2010 19:08 GMT
#17
On April 10 2010 03:08 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2010 01:27 Qatol wrote:
On April 09 2010 21:50 Amber[LighT] wrote:
On April 09 2010 15:40 Fishball wrote:
I personally won't be playing in any bot games. Certain elements are just missing, and it doesn't suit my taste.
I like the "once in a while" TL Mafia (insert Roman numeral here) games with a relatively standard rule set with clues in Night posts, players ranging from 25-50.
If I play too many games in a row (like recently), it just dilutes my interest in the game.


This.

When does Mafia ... XXI (I think) begin?

Probably around May 1 if I'm the one who hosts it.

I think I can get one started around Mid-April, if you guys will have it. If it's 20-30 people it shouldn't conflict with Qatol's game in timing.

And would this be XXI? Does Ace's game count toward numbering?

Yeah that will work out fine. I can always shift mine back a bit to cover if yours takes longer than expected. Just gives me more time to figure out good clues/ advertise in General.
Uff Da
citi.zen
Profile Joined April 2009
2509 Posts
April 09 2010 20:18 GMT
#18
If anyone needs a co-host, I'll be taking a break from playing.
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
Foolishness *
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3044 Posts
April 10 2010 00:38 GMT
#19
I think a problem from Zona's games is that the day/night cycles are too long. When there are 5-9 people alive, do you really need 48 hours to talk things over (or 24 hours for night)? I'm not saying it should be like the first mini mafia which had 20 min day cycles or whatever, but something a bit shorter might help keep interest going and keep from getting bored. Ultimately, the length of the day/night should be determined by how many people are alive, so maybe we should consider something where the cycles get shorter as more people are killed.

I'm the only one in the thread so far who thinks this, but I like playing in Zona's small games and think they should be maintained to some degree. I think it provides a nice break from playing in gigantic 40-50 player games. Also, in between these large games, there's usually some sort of break period of a few weeks or so (understandable of course because the game has to get organized and people have to sign up and such). Zona's games allow for mafia play in this interim period for those who want to.

It was also nice to see that a lot of players in Zona's games were relative new comers, and not just a room full of vets. These games help give experience to those who are relatively new and want to play/learn more, as they don't have to sit around and wait for the next big game to play in. Case in point I think some people aren't going to write off BM before the game even starts anymore after his recent performance.
geript: "Foolishness's cases are persuasive and reasonable but leave you feeling dirty afterwards. Kinda like a whore." ---- Manager of the TL Mafia forum, come play!
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 10 2010 01:24 GMT
#20
On April 10 2010 09:38 Foolishness wrote:
I think a problem from Zona's games is that the day/night cycles are too long. When there are 5-9 people alive, do you really need 48 hours to talk things over (or 24 hours for night)? I'm not saying it should be like the first mini mafia which had 20 min day cycles or whatever, but something a bit shorter might help keep interest going and keep from getting bored. Ultimately, the length of the day/night should be determined by how many people are alive, so maybe we should consider something where the cycles get shorter as more people are killed.

I'm the only one in the thread so far who thinks this, but I like playing in Zona's small games and think they should be maintained to some degree. I think it provides a nice break from playing in gigantic 40-50 player games. Also, in between these large games, there's usually some sort of break period of a few weeks or so (understandable of course because the game has to get organized and people have to sign up and such). Zona's games allow for mafia play in this interim period for those who want to.

It was also nice to see that a lot of players in Zona's games were relative new comers, and not just a room full of vets. These games help give experience to those who are relatively new and want to play/learn more, as they don't have to sit around and wait for the next big game to play in. Case in point I think some people aren't going to write off BM before the game even starts anymore after his recent performance.

Which got the town killed
But yes, I agree that small games can be nice, but I'm really frustrated with people not posting. These less standard games attract more attention due to gimmicks, but meh.

I guess I'll start writing up a game this weekend. Clues or not? Personally, I'm not a fan of them due both to host opinion on clues and how people always go overboard with them, but they generate discussion and posts.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings24
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 167
ProTech167
ViBE90
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12656
910 68
NaDa 18
Dota 2
monkeys_forever351
canceldota135
League of Legends
Doublelift5054
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4014
Other Games
summit1g4866
C9.Mang0385
JimRising 379
ToD175
PPMD39
JuggernautJason33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick535
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 95
• poizon28 45
• RyuSc2 25
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• musti20045 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21688
League of Legends
• Scarra877
Other Games
• imaqtpie1044
• Shiphtur582
• tFFMrPink 8
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
10h 50m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
17h 50m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 50m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
Patches Events
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.