• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:17
CEST 19:17
KST 02:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12641 users

How do most people around you react to SC? - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 Next All
Z-BosoN
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Brazil2590 Posts
May 31 2009 17:47 GMT
#81
"Starcraft? Is that like warcraft or something??"
APurpleCow
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1372 Posts
May 31 2009 17:57 GMT
#82
You keep dissing the dota/cs/dow/etc players, but don't realize that most of them are ~15 year old, so they were 4 when starcraft came out. What kind of "respect" for the game do you expect from them?


Thanks to Halo and WoW, it is now cool for middle schoolers/high schoolers to play video games. The reason why most 15 year old "gamers" don't like Starcraft is because they aren't true gamers, but are rather casual gamers that only got into video games because of the culture. As somebody who just turned 16, I can guarantee you that if you took teenage gamers who did not get into gaming because of the culture but instead because they enjoy the strategy and competitive nature of gaming and introduced them to Starcraft, the majority would love it.

D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
May 31 2009 18:20 GMT
#83
Most of the people I tell about starcraft are adults and as such their reaction is usually (Holy crap not only im getting old but the world is getting crazy)
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 18:33:49
May 31 2009 18:30 GMT
#84
Most people basically react the same way me to me too.

"What's that?"
"Starcraft."
"Star... craft?..."
"Yeah."
"Oh... I used to play that like 10 years ago dude. Why are you still playing it? There is so much better games now. Those graphics are so shitty."
"Meh. I still think it's fun."
*He sits and watches me play for like 10 minutes*
"So... think I can play too?"
"Sure, if you have a jump drive."
"Kkk 1 sec I'll go borrow one."

Now 80% of my IT class plays Starcraft on LAN together every day. I'm obviously the best, they think I am like god(iCCup D+/C-) o.o;;
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
May 31 2009 18:33 GMT
#85
I suck at Starcraft well at least am D+/C- material, but I rape everyone of my friends ;p

they all said ohh starcraft is old, why still play? Like if its some sort of caveman game lol.
Life?
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
May 31 2009 18:34 GMT
#86
I don't talk about it.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 19:08:21
May 31 2009 19:06 GMT
#87
lol i've been teaching my gf how to play. She just hasn't been getting the hang of it. She doesn't understand how I can play so quickly.

I don't usually tell people I play SC, but my close friends know I do, and when SC2 comes out they're all gonna be playing.
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
May 31 2009 19:10 GMT
#88
I don't tell people around me I play sc... Except for one Korean guy in my seminar. He's just a bnet East newbie though. It's funny because he thinks he'd pwn me.
uglymoose89
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States671 Posts
May 31 2009 19:26 GMT
#89
Them: Hmm what game is that?
Me: Starcraft
Them: Ooh i've heard of it but i play AOE instead.

(sigh) that's how most of them go for me.
Idle
Profile Joined May 2009
Korea (South)124 Posts
May 31 2009 19:35 GMT
#90
Most people that find out I play SC generally give the standard "its old," "graphics suck." responses.

I've actually had some people tell me to "play a game that takes skill like wow" 0.o.

I did end up playing wow for 4 years, and let me tell you, that game will kill anything you ever had resembling gaming skill. It requires no twitch reflex and is made to make sure you can think slow and not pay attention and still succeed. When I finally got back into sc i had to start all over at 50apm.
I'd turn gay for Baby.... wait, that came out wrong.
Clasic
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Bosnia-Herzegovina1437 Posts
May 31 2009 19:44 GMT
#91
My friends say its like star trek and its nerdy lol.
No no no no its not mine!
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 20:03:07
May 31 2009 20:01 GMT
#92
I am brazilian, so latin american culture is generally very negative about it.

If any girl sees it they say "what the hell? you loser"

If my dad sees it, he says I am wasting my life and why do i value this shit over other stuff. My mom would keep asking random questions though.

my close friends chill out because they know I've been hitting it since i was 12 and dont care.

my sister pretends to be interested, but shes really not.

But what is my strategy? I don't talk about it, I keep it to myself, almost (but not quite) hiding it.




Overall conclusion? the reaction is negative one that implies they are sad because I should be doing something else with my time. True? Maybe.
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 20:03:20
May 31 2009 20:02 GMT
#93
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
May 31 2009 20:10 GMT
#94
I force most people to be okay with it. "It's a sport, I like it, stfu" I just tell them as if they should respect it.
My parents/sis (my bro plays too) don't quite get it but I'd told them "you'd be okay with it if this were chess", which is true, they know I watch pro matches and I've shown them the stadiums so they know it's probably to be taken seriously and just now when ret vs Castro was going on they happened to drop in and I told the "it's our Dutch representative in the finale". They went "oh, is he winning?" right away so yeah. They're not gamers though.
My friends that are into gaming (or, like, know gaming) know I play SC and I'm okay with telling them and claim it is superior to any game they know from then on out. The ones that aren't I don't tell (no reason to) or just go "I'm watching sports" or something.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
shimmy
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Poland997 Posts
May 31 2009 20:13 GMT
#95
On May 31 2009 23:23 Ozarugold wrote:
Person: What are you doing with your overlord?
Me: Scouting.
Person: Oh. You should keep it at your base so it doesn't die.
Me: -_-


This made me smile ^_^
Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 20:50:59
May 31 2009 20:50 GMT
#96
my friends all used to tell me i was living in the past. only one of them respects the pro gamers and watches some games sometimes on the stream or when i send him a link. He sucks and doesn't like playing it though.

Other acquaintances of mine just talk about the bad graphics or they always ask if its world of warcraft for some reason.

my gf always talks shit on me and assumes i just wanna play starcraft when ever i dont wanna go out.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
May 31 2009 21:00 GMT
#97
On June 01 2009 05:50 CharlieMurphy wrote:
my friends all used to tell me i was living in the past. only one of them respects the pro gamers and watches some games sometimes on the stream or when i send him a link. He sucks and doesn't like playing it though.

Other acquaintances of mine just talk about the bad graphics or they always ask if its world of warcraft for some reason.

my gf always talks shit on me and assumes i just wanna play starcraft when ever i dont wanna go out.


Thats sooo classic lol

And btw, happy bday
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Sonu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada577 Posts
May 31 2009 21:05 GMT
#98
On June 01 2009 03:30 Grobyc wrote:
Most people basically react the same way me to me too.

"What's that?"
"Starcraft."
"Star... craft?..."
"Yeah."
"Oh... I used to play that like 10 years ago dude. Why are you still playing it? There is so much better games now. Those graphics are so shitty."
"Meh. I still think it's fun."
*He sits and watches me play for like 10 minutes*
"So... think I can play too?"
"Sure, if you have a jump drive."
"Kkk 1 sec I'll go borrow one."

Now 80% of my IT class plays Starcraft on LAN together every day. I'm obviously the best, they think I am like god(iCCup D+/C-) o.o;;

u deserve an award
"I really like this wall-in, because its not a fucking wall" - DAy[9]
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
May 31 2009 21:06 GMT
#99
I guess I'm pretty lucky in that most of my friends know about SC / the pro scene.
I even manage to get them interested enought to watch VODs once in a while.
Sonu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada577 Posts
May 31 2009 21:06 GMT
#100
hmm lets see:

i got 2 girls interested somewhat
most of my friends know that I play it, and the two KOR guys i know dont play (one is into music too much so doesnt have time to, and the other won got raped by urs truely way to many times by a 14 nexus into carriers)
"I really like this wall-in, because its not a fucking wall" - DAy[9]
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM923
TKL 347
IndyStarCraft 244
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 923
ByuN 399
TKL 347
IndyStarCraft 244
BRAT_OK 45
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46193
Calm 3014
firebathero 157
actioN 140
Free 45
Sea.KH 36
Mong 32
ToSsGirL 29
Rock 26
soO 23
[ Show more ]
Aegong 20
Pusan 19
scan(afreeca) 17
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9492
Dendi1155
League of Legends
Reynor220
Counter-Strike
fl0m5250
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King88
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu215
Grubby192
MindelVK16
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1784
FrodaN1002
Beastyqt695
B2W.Neo689
olofmeister481
Mlord463
Khaldor459
KnowMe294
crisheroes175
Livibee122
ToD26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick215
BasetradeTV86
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 25
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach70
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV559
League of Legends
• Nemesis3227
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1442
Other Games
• Shiphtur683
• imaqtpie155
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 43m
OSC
5h 43m
Replay Cast
5h 43m
OSC
18h 43m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.