• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:08
CEST 09:08
KST 16:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8150 users

[Review] Razer Moray (earbuds)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-14 10:12:18
April 11 2009 00:10 GMT
#1
About a month ago, I was one of the lucky winners of the Razer Headphones Contest here on TeamLiquid. As a result, today I received a free pair of the Razer Mako In-Ear Headphones.

Since TeamLiquid was so nice to me, I figured I'd give something back and write a review of the headphones to give other gamers an idea about the Morays.

Let's start with some pictures.


Here's the box:

[image loading]


Here's the back of one of the earbuds. The grey thing on the back is a shiny plastic gem, but the shine didn't come up on my camera.

[image loading]


Here's the front of an earbud:

[image loading]


And here you can see the earbuds and the jack, which is gold plated for good conduction.

[image loading]





And now the review


To test out new headphones, my favorite thing to do is to listen to the live version of Hotel California, by The Eagles on their Hell Freezes Over tour. This is a great quality recording of a great song that has a lot of subtlety to it, which in my opinion really tests headphones' clarity at all ranges.

The headphones I will be comparing these to are the headphones I usually use to listen to music. They are the Ultimate Ears SuperFi Pro 5. These are no joke headphones. They are very expensive ($250), and they are quite simply the best quality headphones I have ever heard in my life, and I've listened to quite a few Sennheisers, Sonys, and Boses. In other words, the Moray's got some tough competition.

Style

Personally I much prefer the black Morays to the white ones, but I got these headphones for free and I'm sure not going to complain. The black ones are stylish and subtle, and the little gem on the back looks cool below the Razer logo. In comparison, the SuperFis stick out quite a bit from the ear and look a little awkward.

Sound Quality

Treble: Many headphones in a similar price range to the Morays have a lot of trouble with treble clarity. Most of them cater to people that don't know what they want (as pretentious as that sounds) and go overboard with bass and don't have nearly enough treble or any clarity in it. I was listening for this specifically with these headphones, and they really came through. The treble clarity was comparable to the SuperFis, something I really wasn't expecting.
Bass: That being said, these definitely have more bass than the SuperFis, and in my opinion a little more than is probably accurate. Still, these headphones are intended for gaming, not music, and while gaming I actually much prefer the higher bass to the low bass on the SuperFis. When you're playing Counter-Strike: Source and you shoot an awp, it's much more satisfying on the Morays. The bass clarity's not bad, but while listening to Hotel California once the song really got going I could definitely hear that it wasn't as good as the SuperFis. This was to be expected of course, since the SuperFis are dual driver while the Morays are single driver headphones. Still, the bass is able to cut through and sounds pretty darn good while gaming.
Mids: The mids are the Moray's weak point for sure. The bass can cut through and the treble is way better than I expected, but the mids seem a little bit cut, and just no where near as clear as the SuperFis. The vocals in Hotel California were quieter and not as clear as they were when listening to the SuperFis.

Value

Hands down the Morays are better value than the SuperFis. The SuperFis are very high end monitors that you would only purchase if you are an audiophile. They are very expensive as a result. The Morays, on the other hand, are only a mere $40.00 from the Razer Store. For their price they blew me away. They are definitely better than many higher end headphones I have listened to that are in the $100-150 range.




I would definitely recommend any gamer looking for a good pair of gaming earbuds to get the Razer Moray. This is not a paid review, and I am only posting my opinion. I really do think these are some fantastic headphones for the price, and if you listen to them you'll see it would be silly to pay twice or three times as much for other headphones with less quality.

+ Show Spoiler +
I apologize for my camera's terrible quality. Also, I wasn't sure if this should be in general or a blog, but I figured I wanted as many people as possible to see this so they could benefit from it so I put it in general.


Edit: One thing I felt I should add is that the morays actually have very good noise isolation. Better than the SuperFis. My computer is like a jet engine, so this is really nice as it helps mute out the fan sound.
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
April 11 2009 00:21 GMT
#2
Lucky mother f*cker.

congrats, and great review! :D
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
April 11 2009 00:39 GMT
#3
That was a nice review. In the box in the picture what is the big white thing in the middle with 2 big prongs sticking out. It looks like it would be a charger or something but that must not be right.

-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
April 11 2009 00:49 GMT
#4
On April 11 2009 09:39 Jonoman92 wrote:
That was a nice review. In the box in the picture what is the big white thing in the middle with 2 big prongs sticking out. It looks like it would be a charger or something but that must not be right.



It is a converter to a dual-pronged jack. These are most common on airplanes, where they have two mono jacks instead of one stereo jack (I think the original reason was to force people to buy their on-board headphones for 5 bucks or whatever), so with that converter you can listen on airplanes without only having one ear playing.
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
Kuja900
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3564 Posts
April 11 2009 00:51 GMT
#5
This is just an elaborate scheme to rub your prize in our faces
OMG you nasty gurl
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 11 2009 00:52 GMT
#6
Hrm, I've been needing some new headphones for a while now. I'll consider investing on a pair of them. $40 is pretty cheap considering the quality that you described.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-11 01:01:34
April 11 2009 01:00 GMT
#7
I bought this waaaaaaaaaay before the contest was announced, because I'm a HUGE Razer fanboy (Armadillo, Lycosa, Krait, Deathadder, Mantis Control, Moray (2, in fact, because the rubber part holding the two wires got turn, and it got all dirty [it was white])). And this is one kick-ass pair of earbuds, its noise isolatio so good I keep missing calls when I'm using them, despite my phone being just a few feet away.

On April 11 2009 09:49 -orb- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2009 09:39 Jonoman92 wrote:
That was a nice review. In the box in the picture what is the big white thing in the middle with 2 big prongs sticking out. It looks like it would be a charger or something but that must not be right.



It is a converter to a dual-pronged jack. These are most common on airplanes, where they have two mono jacks instead of one stereo jack (I think the original reason was to force people to buy their on-board headphones for 5 bucks or whatever), so with that converter you can listen on airplanes without only having one ear playing.


Oh, you can actually use the earbuds without the converter, but it's quite a pain stuffing it in and back, might spoil the jack o_O

Comes in handy, these earbuds are much better than the headphones the flight attendants give you.
POGGERS
piratebay
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States399 Posts
April 11 2009 01:36 GMT
#8
i love my shures
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
April 11 2009 01:54 GMT
#9
Nice review orb. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Moray's.

Big ups to FakeSteve for putting that contest together too. It was a fun one.
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
Xusneb
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada612 Posts
April 11 2009 02:06 GMT
#10
Thanks for sharing! I'm currently using a JVC in-ear headphone but it doesn't really isolate the noise that well (I'm a bus commuter and those things make NOISE) so I might go for one of these in the future.

The worst part about these kinds of headphones is that sometimes I just zone out on the bus, staring at the scenery, and I totally ignore when a friend says 'hi' to me!
If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy
RyanS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States620 Posts
April 11 2009 02:27 GMT
#11
I've been wanting a set of these for a while, thanks for the review.
a-game
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Canada5214 Posts
April 11 2009 03:00 GMT
#12
nice review, good job orb
you wouldnt feel that way if it was *your* magical sword of mantouchery that got stolen - racebannon
stalife
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada1222 Posts
April 11 2009 03:04 GMT
#13
i have one too, but my cords are splitting apart....
www.memoryexpress.com
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
April 11 2009 03:40 GMT
#14
Could you list some of the ones in the 100~150s range that you compared the Moray to (the ones that you found inferior to the Moray). While the review gave a pretty good idea of the headphone being good quality for the price, it doesn't quite give an absolute and definitive quality.
PobTheCad
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Australia893 Posts
April 11 2009 03:50 GMT
#15
surely if you are heading into the 150 range for ear 'buds' you might as well buy proper headphones instead?

your ears don't hurt as much after using them
Once again back is the incredible!
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
April 11 2009 03:57 GMT
#16
Holy god this is a nice and thorough review. Extremely professional sounding IMO, almost sounding like a paid review *check's orb's posting history*

Honestly, I don't need anything new soon, but if my current headphones break/have issues I would buy these without a doubt (cheap price, plus it's fucking Razor, they sponsored the TSL!).
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
April 11 2009 04:02 GMT
#17
On April 11 2009 12:50 PobTheCad wrote:
surely if you are heading into the 150 range for ear 'buds' you might as well buy proper headphones instead?

your ears don't hurt as much after using them


Yes but "proper" headphones aren't as handy as buds. I bought my Sennheiser CX400s because I wanted something I could wear while jogging/snowboarding/going to school and what not. They're very practical and never come out. There's a reason they made expensive buds too, you know.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
peidongyang
Profile Joined January 2009
Canada2084 Posts
April 11 2009 04:30 GMT
#18
Pretty good for 40 bucks eh?

lol i just use speakers built onto the computer

im cheap
the throws never bothered me anyway
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 11 2009 04:41 GMT
#19
How's the construction quality and what's their warranty?

The wiring seems pretty thin so it might wear away after a while. I've gone through 2 pairs of V-Moda Vibes and the casing wore away on both before a year, largely because the connection to the bud was so stupidly designed.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
April 11 2009 05:04 GMT
#20
On April 11 2009 13:41 Jibba wrote:
How's the construction quality and what's their warranty?

The wiring seems pretty thin so it might wear away after a while. I've gone through 2 pairs of V-Moda Vibes and the casing wore away on both before a year, largely because the connection to the bud was so stupidly designed.

The surrounding skin of the bud seems to start wearing after half a year of use... makes it look unsightly.
POGGERS
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4853
Leta 1852
Shuttle 1725
BeSt 394
Soma 123
Soulkey 63
ZergMaN 57
sorry 43
Shine 33
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm195
League of Legends
JimRising 609
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King50
Other Games
summit1g8211
WinterStarcraft668
Sick210
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 37
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2273
League of Legends
• Rush1157
• Lourlo1102
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 52m
Patches Events
7h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 52m
OSC
15h 52m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.