• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:46
CEST 13:46
KST 20:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7945 users

Why are gamers such unpleasant people?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Agro_Z
Profile Joined April 2008
United States138 Posts
April 08 2009 21:32 GMT
#1
I was scrolling through Yahoo Answers in the Online/Gaming section, when this question caught my eye:


Why are gamers such unpleasant people?
I've been a gamer for nearly my whole life; I'm an avid fan of video games of a wide spectrum of genres. However, many of my fellow fans have been causing me to lose some faith in the medium. Quite frankly, they're douchebags. A**holes. Pr*cks. Call them whatever you like, but the fact is, many, and I mean MANY, of them are not pleasant people. You hear them on Xbox Live or PSN, you read their insulting comments on message boards, and it all further proves their disgusting behavior. Is it simply the target audience? Adolescent males? Is it the anonymity that the internet provides to its users? I can't say for sure, but I know one thing: it makes me sick.


Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090408135617AAOu40R

I was a little shocked when I read this. Are gamers "douchebags"? But then, I remember my first online game on a console (Halo 3), and the first act that my teammates did was team kill me over and over again. I, also, have had bad experiences where I have been repeatedly insulted for no better reason than joining a game. In forums, flaming is a common sight, and it is even acceptable in many places throughout the internet to verbally assault another person. Obviously, not all players are bad-mannered, but have gamers been characterized by these foul-mouthed people?
"Don't put things off, put them over" - fortune cookie
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
April 08 2009 21:39 GMT
#2
[image loading]
Administrator
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
April 08 2009 21:39 GMT
#3
I think there are a lot more gamers than in the past. It is such a large group of people now that it's impossible to characterize them. It's like stereotyping a population. Therefore, I don't think gamers are characterized in that way except by other gamers, and it depends on what genre of game you play.
Dahlia...
Profile Joined September 2005
United States409 Posts
April 08 2009 21:42 GMT
#4
There is no porn option on that pie chart.
ThE_OsToJiY
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada1167 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-08 21:44:48
April 08 2009 21:43 GMT
#5
because porn is 100%

anyway a lot of bm gamers take out their anger from having such a sad life on other people. Just ignore it, nothing personal.
@ostojiy
latent
Profile Joined March 2009
United States428 Posts
April 08 2009 21:43 GMT
#6
I wonder what it's like with Korean online games. Hmm...I should ask someone.
Moo
deL
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Australia5540 Posts
April 08 2009 21:44 GMT
#7
They are no more of a douchebag than your average Joe, but that is the problem. Games and the internet present a perfect medium to do whatever comes to mind without any consequences because it's either all in text and internet chat or it's in a game with mates where you can't really get punished for it. Most people are dickheads deep down :3
Gaming videos for fun ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/WijLopenLos
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
April 08 2009 21:45 GMT
#8
sonuvbob wins thread as always
OmgIRok
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Taiwan2699 Posts
April 08 2009 21:48 GMT
#9
I don't get what that pie chart has to do with this thread, but like Dahlia said, there's no porn category.

Obviously, not all players are bad-mannered, but have gamers been characterized by these foul-mouthed people?


I think we have, it's pretty sad ._.
But I've only encountered the fags that you mention on Steam. >.>;;
I'll stick with StarCraft. Less BM IMO
"Wanna join my [combo] clan?" "We play turret d competitively"
pheer
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
5403 Posts
April 08 2009 21:54 GMT
#10
On April 09 2009 06:42 Dahlia... wrote:
There is no porn option on that pie chart.

That would be quite illegal :D

Also, bob's pie chart is for MALE 14 year olds. The female version is 30% youtube, 40% myspacebook, 20% camwhoring and 10% gaming (99% of which is bejeweled).
Moderator
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
April 08 2009 21:55 GMT
#11
On April 09 2009 06:48 OmgIRok wrote:
I don't get what that pie chart has to do with this thread, but like Dahlia said, there's no porn category.

Show nested quote +
Obviously, not all players are bad-mannered, but have gamers been characterized by these foul-mouthed people?


I think we have, it's pretty sad ._.
But I've only encountered the fags that you mention on Steam. >.>;;
I'll stick with StarCraft. Less BM IMO


*sigh*
of the 14 year olds that are on the internet, 30% of them spam annoying comments on youtube and the other 70 do the same except on games/gaming forums.
TL is mostly 17+ people and therefore is relatively mature for a gaming forum. however, halo 3 is predominantly prepubescent tards and therefore has many annoying pricks on it.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
0xDEADBEEF
Profile Joined September 2007
Germany1235 Posts
April 08 2009 21:56 GMT
#12
[image loading]
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
April 08 2009 21:57 GMT
#13
Why are people so unpleasant?
I've been a person for nearly my whole life; I'm an avid fan of people games of a wide spectrum of genres. However, many of my fellow people have been causing me to lose some faith in humanity. Quite frankly, they're douchebags. A**holes. Pr*cks. Call them whatever you like, but the fact is, many, and I mean MANY, of them are not pleasant people. You hear them on The Bill O'Reilly Factor or in your grocery store, you read their insulting comments on bathroom stalls, and it all further proves their disgusting behavior. Is it simply human nature? Adolescent males? Is it the nurture that society provides to its users? I can't say for sure, but I know one thing: it makes me sick.

[insert other group for person]

It's not only gamers, there are "unpleasant" people in every group, except it just happens that the annoying people are more noticeable and vocal on the internet.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
April 08 2009 21:59 GMT
#14
On April 09 2009 06:54 pheer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 06:42 Dahlia... wrote:
There is no porn option on that pie chart.

That would be quite illegal :D

Also, bob's pie chart is for MALE 14 year olds. The female version is 30% youtube, 40% myspacebook, 20% camwhoring and 10% gaming (99% of which is bejeweled).

lol yeah

Could add a chart for % of Internet bm by age, but I think it's implied.
Administrator
sushiman
Profile Joined September 2003
Sweden2691 Posts
April 08 2009 22:00 GMT
#15
I'd say one of the major reasons there's so many asshole gamers, is because the games simply aren't moderated in any way. You don't see the same amount of douchebags when there's people that can ban them at will. Thus places like TL is relatively free from the worst of them, while just about every MP game and communities too large to keep its users in check, like youtube, will continue to be pestered by them forever.
1000 at least.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-08 22:02:20
April 08 2009 22:01 GMT
#16
Edit: SonuvBob I hate you I'm going to turn 15 in about a month though so by then, the chart will be invalid for me!
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
April 08 2009 22:11 GMT
#17
The way i like to see it is that the younger audience in gaming are very troubled people who are generally unhappy with their life and use gaming as a release. Well adjusted gamers play with their friends and are usually very pleasant to play with only 2 times i played something habitually was when i play cs in a server for older people where i didn't have to hear how high this guy was ever 2 seconds and when i played wow again with an older group where we tell stories and jokes during raids very little yelling involved.

Really those who are the real jerks online using their anonymity to vent their anger and frustration with their self inflicted fucked up lives are the real ones that should be looking for a healthier environment.
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8927 Posts
April 08 2009 22:11 GMT
#18
On April 09 2009 06:56 0xDEADBEEF wrote:
[image loading]


Haha, I was hoping to find this posted.

It's just a combination of immaturity and (mostly) a lack of accountability.

Reminds me of a time I was out camping and making an early morning trip back into civilization for some more 'supplies'. Being in a hurry, I passed a car full of 18/19 year olds and sped off. They took a great deal of offence to this and decided to speed up, pass me, and provide a symphony of middle fingers. Awesome. Sure enough, when I arrived at my destination I saw the same car parked. Naturally, I ran into the same kids inside and they were pleasant - initiating random, friendly chit-chat. Go figure.

It's just the default state for people whose actions have absolutely zero consequences. Oh well.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
R3condite
Profile Joined August 2008
Korea (South)1541 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-08 22:13:23
April 08 2009 22:11 GMT
#19
On April 09 2009 06:57 Mooga wrote:
Why are people so unpleasant?
I've been a person for nearly my whole life; I'm an avid fan of people games of a wide spectrum of genres. However, many of my fellow people have been causing me to lose some faith in humanity. Quite frankly, they're douchebags. A**holes. Pr*cks. Call them whatever you like, but the fact is, many, and I mean MANY, of them are not pleasant people. You hear them on The Bill O'Reilly Factor or in your grocery store, you read their insulting comments on bathroom stalls, and it all further proves their disgusting behavior. Is it simply human nature? Adolescent males? Is it the nurture that society provides to its users? I can't say for sure, but I know one thing: it makes me sick.

[insert other group for person]

It's not only gamers, there are "unpleasant" people in every group, except it just happens that the annoying people are more noticeable and vocal on the internet.

this

also the anonymity really really brings out the evil in ppl most of the time... ever heard of 4chan? i bet most of the regulars there r regular sane decent ppl not retarded fukin douche bags (see wat i said that?! i would NVR say that out loud...)
it's call an internet persona
On April 09 2009 06:43 latent wrote:
I wonder what it's like with Korean online games. Hmm...I should ask someone.

in korea since u have to use formal language to strangers u meet (since by teenage yrs it's hard to tell whether or not they r older or younger than u, so every speaks really politely in game chats though lately there have been an increase in wat koreans call "keyboard warriors" who r basically equivalent to america's internet douche bags... but yeah... cus u nvr know if u might be cursing out some1 4 times solder than u ppl just don't do that... it's cultural for the most part

On April 09 2009 07:11 Flaccid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2009 06:56 0xDEADBEEF wrote:
[image loading]


Haha, I was hoping to find this posted.

It's just a combination of immaturity and (mostly) a lack of accountability.

Reminds me of a time I was out camping and making an early morning trip back into civilization for some more 'supplies'. Being in a hurry, I passed a car full of 18/19 year olds and sped off. They took a great deal of offence to this and decided to speed up, pass me, and provide a symphony of middle fingers. Awesome. Sure enough, when I arrived at my destination I saw the same car parked. Naturally, I ran into the same kids inside and they were pleasant - initiating random, friendly chit-chat. Go figure.

It's just the default state for people whose actions have absolutely zero consequences. Oh well.


u r too nice.. i would have f-ed those kids over haha.. actually prolly not...
ggyo...
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-08 22:13:30
April 08 2009 22:12 GMT
#20
Imo their parents didn't beat manners into them hard enough to know just because they don't know who you are doesn't mean you should treat them how ever you want for your own demented pleasure
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings168
SHIN 78
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 324
OGKoka 284
ByuN 267
SHIN 78
MindelVK 21
Railgan 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 69340
Calm 10875
Rain 2547
FanTaSy 1138
Bisu 1037
soO 742
Soulkey 569
Stork 414
Shuttle 372
Rush 268
[ Show more ]
Soma 224
firebathero 212
Light 165
Snow 154
Last 151
Mind 87
Pusan 69
ToSsGirL 59
Shinee 42
Bale 39
Sea.KH 37
Killer 33
Trap 33
Mong 28
Free 28
Sharp 28
Hm[arnc] 27
hero 25
Sexy 21
yabsab 19
zelot 18
Shine 16
sorry 15
HiyA 13
Aegong 12
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
scan(afreeca) 10
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc6789
Dendi235
League of Legends
Reynor98
Counter-Strike
x6flipin958
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Other Games
gofns33624
singsing2223
byalli575
B2W.Neo312
Pyrionflax252
ToD18
Chillindude13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 96
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV496
League of Legends
• Jankos3241
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 798
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 14m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 14m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 14m
OSC
11h 14m
Replay Cast
11h 14m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.