• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:44
CEST 12:44
KST 19:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12192 users

Coronavirus and You

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 697 698 699 Next
Any and all updates regarding the COVID-19 will need a source provided. Please do your part in helping us to keep this thread maintainable and under control.

It is YOUR responsibility to fully read through the sources that you link, and you MUST provide a brief summary explaining what the source is about. Do not expect other people to do the work for you.

Conspiracy theories and fear mongering will absolutely not be tolerated in this thread. Expect harsh mod actions if you try to incite fear needlessly.

This is not a politics thread! You are allowed to post information regarding politics if it's related to the coronavirus, but do NOT discuss politics in here.

Added a disclaimer on page 662. Many need to post better.
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-03-07 18:43:36
February 28 2020 01:08 GMT
#1
This thread is a place for you to share the ways the coronavirus is affecting your life. This isn't a thread for fear mongering or speculation.


I live in Osaka, Japan. As of February 28th, a few things have changed. Large gatherings like my end-of-year work party have been canceled. Other events like graduations are either being scaled way down, or scrapped altogether. Pro sports are being canceled or played in empty stadiums.

Yesterday the Prime Minister announced that schools would close Monday, extending into the spring break. In Japan, the new school year stars in April so this is essentially a month long spring break. Abe said that businesses would be compensated if their workers had to take time off, but that is only lip service, and nothing will change in Japan's work culture. Nursery schools for the very young will stay open.

I am fortunate that my wife stays home, so she can watch the kids. Some of my friends are in much more difficult situations with elementary school aged kids. I, of course, still have to go to work because the hamster wheel can never stop spinning.

As for supplies, masks are impossible to find anywhere. I have a bit of stock at home but I doubt their effectiveness anyway. I keep a supply of bottled water at home in case of earthquakes and typhoons, and my farming means I always have food, but depending on how things develop over the next week, I might go stock up some more.

The system of tracking people in Japan is pretty good, and my confidence in local government remains high. The next big question is the Olympics, which would be a brutal punch to an already weakening economy in Japan.

ModeratorGodfather
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
February 28 2020 01:46 GMT
#2
No impact yet here in USA, but remains to be seen. Biggest concern is whether or not hospitals will be adequately prepared to handle a potential surge of patients, which seems unlikely as even flu season tends to create major issues with having beds available.

In terms of personal stuff, I have quite a bit of canned fish on stock, enough to last a few months if things were really wild, and just for the heck of it I bought a 50lb bag of rice and some beans as well. Enough that if something totally insane happened I'd be fine.

Sounds like behind the scenes many places are preparing to close down if more transmission is seen, so it's a possibility we could see a mid semester shutdown on campus.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
February 28 2020 01:55 GMT
#3
We got our first confirmed case here is Brazil today (a guy who just returned from Italy). Every news program is talking about it and masks have already run out in São Paulo, but overall no big changes yet.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Chewbacca.
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3634 Posts
February 28 2020 01:56 GMT
#4
United States/Indiana

Financial hit with the stock market that likely won't make much impact for me, as I still have 30 or so years until retirement.

Annoyance due to customer's constantly requesting letters in regards to our supply chain and what inputs may be originating from China.

Needing to rush through a qualification of a new process additive, as supply of one of my current ones is due to run dry around May.

Other than those, I haven't experienced any real impacts. I have quite a bit of business travel coming up in the next month though, so may start to feel some impact?
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 02:10:05
February 28 2020 02:03 GMT
#5
I currently live in the US working for a big automotive supplier.

At work thus far it has just been exchanging some emails with suppliers to see if and yes how their supply chain might end up being affected. Nothing so far, but we do get material from Northern Italy out of all places, so this could eventually become an issue.

The group of companies my employer belongs to does have plants all over the world including China. Travel ban to China for everyone unless it's considered "business critical" (whatever that means) since like 4 weeks ago. A lot of other travel has been cut where possible.

Personally I'm scheduled to fly to Germany in a few weeks for some time off, at this point I'd go through with it. Depending on how things develop I can just rebook my flights to a later date though.

Keep a little stock of food and water at home since this is tornado-country (already had a tornado warning with all the sirens going off once in January and no power for a few hours, nothing major though).

ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
February 28 2020 05:30 GMT
#6
California here. Nothing has impacted me personally but the Governor announcing they are monitoring some 8400 people up north does have me pretty concerned.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
Dark_Chill
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada3353 Posts
February 28 2020 05:45 GMT
#7
Montreal here. No sign of stuff, but if the virus does get here, our hospitals will be fucked. No way we'll have the space to deal with a large influx of patients.
CUTE MAKES RIGHT
xM(Z
Profile Joined November 2006
Romania5299 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 06:03:31
February 28 2020 06:02 GMT
#8
our italians are coming back for their vacation so there's some panic here. the local airport has a quarantine place for people coming from known zones with infection(Italia, China mostly) so the authorities keep them there until they get superficially screened/tested).
- masks are nowhere to be found, people are stockpiling food.
- TV news, shows, talks are directly or indirectly scaring the fuck out of the people continuously talking about the virus/possible victims/probable ways of infections ... etc.

economically, things look normal: no extra vacation times, breaks from work/school; the imports from/exports to China started picking back up since they lifted their quarantine there.

there's only one confirmed case in the whole country.
And my fury stands ready. I bring all your plans to nought. My bleak heart beats steady. 'Tis you whom I have sought.
Belisarius
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia6233 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 06:25:43
February 28 2020 06:07 GMT
#9
Personally, I've seen nothing tangible other than a general sense of unease. Streets and restaurants are weirdly quiet, people are on edge. It's a bit silly when our few cases have been well contained and managed so far, but in an international area of a major city I guess everyone feels more exposed. The virus starting to spread outside China changed a lot.

Economically, of course, it looks pretty dire already. Australia is export-driven and ridiculously dependent on China, and even our other export markets seem likely to fall over as it spreads. The entire tertiary education sector is propped up by international students who can't get here, and that house of cards looks like it will come down around our ears quite soon.
Silvanel
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
Poland4769 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 07:58:46
February 28 2020 07:58 GMT
#10
Poland - Łódź
I work for large multinational and the first impact was that our sites - first in Wuhan and later in Korea closed and switched to remote work only. Since people i work with are constantly traveling to different parts of the world we are really at risk and corporation put some measures in place. One tourist from my city which has been to Thailand tested positive in 1/3 of her tests for coronovirus and she travled to city by train and by bus to hospital so there is a risk it is already out there. A collegue from work bought 500kg of rice and is bracing for long quarantinne. I planned to go to concert in philharmony with friends today, hope they wont cancel.
Pathetic Greta hater.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
February 28 2020 07:58 GMT
#11
The client I work for in the tourism industry is a tad wary, there are plenty of Chinese tourists who won't come to the Netherlands this year.

Overall most of the effect here has been racism towards East-Asian looking people more then anything, haven't gotten much myself personally though a famous radio DJ made a Corona Virus song about avoiding Chinese people that was a bit meh.
WriterXiao8~~
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18450 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 08:05:29
February 28 2020 08:05 GMT
#12
On February 28 2020 15:07 Belisarius wrote:
Personally, I've seen nothing tangible other than a general sense of unease. Streets and restaurants are weirdly quiet, people are on edge. It's a bit silly when our few cases have been well contained and managed so far, but in an international area of a major city I guess everyone feels more exposed. The virus starting to spread outside China changed a lot.

Economically, of course, it looks pretty dire already. Australia is export-driven and ridiculously dependent on China, and even our other export markets seem likely to fall over as it spreads. The entire tertiary education sector is propped up by international students who can't get here, and that house of cards looks like it will come down around our ears quite soon.

I hear ya. I work at eDreams, a large Online Travel Agency. We're already noticing a drop in travel and it could really impact our business. If they have to start firing people, I think my head is at the top of the list: I am new, quite well paid and in Data Science, a department that doesn't immediately impact business (or often we do, but it's just really hard to demonstrate). Luckily, the company looks very healthy financially and should be able to take a short term hit without having to resort to drastic measures. But if there are economic knock on effects from this and Europe drops back into recession, it could very well mean trouble.
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
February 28 2020 08:30 GMT
#13
I live in Spain. Nothing personally, but a colleague had a good 3 weeks of work in Hong Kong cancelled, and all tours to Asia are in dire straights.
Buff the siegetank
JoeCool
Profile Joined January 2012
Germany2520 Posts
February 28 2020 08:58 GMT
#14
Southern Germany here,

so far I've only heard from people buying masks and disifectant but I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask. Most people seem to be conerned with how things will develop in the near future but so far no panic buying in my area. Around here I'd say it's pretty much busniess as usual.



I'm not worried for myself (since I'd consider myself to be in pretty good shape) however I'm worried for my father since he's in his mid 60s and as of today there was another case of corona right where my parents live. So fingers crossed.
Laurens
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium4558 Posts
February 28 2020 09:02 GMT
#15
I live in Belgium, 0 confirmed cases so far.

But yesterday it was Ghent - Roma in the Europe League so 100s of Italians visited our country lmao, not optimistic about remaining corona-free.
The first case in The Netherlands was found yesterday as well, and it was only 8km from our border.
Only a matter of time before it hits our country.

The benefit of being one of the later countries to get infected is of course that we SHOULD be prepared.

I have a business trip to Slovenia end of May and a 3 week holiday in Africa in September, those being cancelled are my main concerns atm, but that's about to change real soon I imagine.
warrior4093
Profile Joined November 2017
100 Posts
February 28 2020 09:03 GMT
#16
not much affected here in India as our direct trade is nearly non existent with nearby Asian countries (lucky foreign policy )
so outbreak has not started here , 4 patients everyone coming from wuhan was quarantined and has stopped travel since then , further more precautions are being taken but daily life is not much effected aside from the raw material supply for medicinal purpose . For the time being we are going to be cut off from majority of the Asia. There is no travel ban but coming back from any affected country warrants you through a 2 weeks of testing and quarantine , not worth it .
sCuMBaG
Profile Joined August 2006
United Kingdom1144 Posts
February 28 2020 09:25 GMT
#17
UK here
Lots of fear, nothing else in the news...

By now impacting work a good bit as well, we have several clients who are having stock issues.
Last night one of our clients mentioned they are considering pulling out of the UK for the time being (several reasons, so not just Corona. Brexit etc. being big too).
Vivax
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
22415 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 09:59:56
February 28 2020 09:56 GMT
#18
Went out on saturday, then got the flu, presumably. Thought I had covid initially so I called the hotline, after 10 minutes of queue, they said to call my doc and not go out. Doc then said to go to him regardless, showed up in a crappy anti-dust mask I got for some farm part-time work a while back (like n95 but without respirator) and was the only guy with it, so felt slightly stupid.

He said if I wanted to be corona-tested I had to ease 150 bucks. No thanks. Just do a blood analysis then. He took my temperature with his bare hand, then looked at the quick blood analysis and said it's viral, bye. Offered to give me subscription for antipyretics and candies against sore throat. I said no thanks knowing he'd get paid for that.

Situation there: No one with face masks, no soap in the toilet, doctor who endangers everyone by inviting them to come against the governments advice, waiting room where patient chairs all face each other. I bet this guy wouldn't get through med school nowadays, and felt very much like I was in a third world country.

I think we should have learned from Asia a while ago and made a habit of wearing face-masks, not to protect ourselves, but mostly to protect others when we are sick.

Oh and I stocked up on food for a few months, but two weeks ago already. I don't take chances. Apparently this virus can reinfect you, meaning it's either a chronic disease or you can't develop immunity.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
February 28 2020 10:34 GMT
#19
Nothing in here(CZE), the corporation closed one office as one person is sick there(with confirmed covid), the irony is that it's not in any of the bigger outbreaks. While our China office is fully closed by government but everyone reports being fine on weekly calls.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-28 12:46:48
February 28 2020 12:46 GMT
#20
Chile (nothing here)
I'm the country distributor for the Schwinn/Nautilius Brand
Our US distributor has already told us the chinese factories are all delayed, and I worry if we order with them products will not be available and our money will get stuck abroad; we still can order US stock but it is a bit pricier.

Our currency, which lost a lot of value due to local events since october, now is plumetting even harder, making our imports more expensive to the point we are not brining anything new and hoping it improves a bit.
1 2 3 4 5 697 698 699 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings136
CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 11291
FanTaSy 1399
Hyuk 845
Horang2 577
BeSt 507
Pusan 244
Stork 196
Killer 116
Zeus 109
Mind 105
[ Show more ]
sorry 103
Last 97
Hyun 57
EffOrt 53
ggaemo 52
PianO 49
ToSsGirL 41
Snow 37
Bale 35
Hm[arnc] 30
JYJ 21
Aegong 16
Sacsri 11
Noble 6
zelot 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe161
Counter-Strike
fl0m1109
byalli695
x6flipin219
Other Games
gofns38462
singsing2543
ArmadaUGS85
Mew2King72
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick700
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 16m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 16m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 16m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 16m
Replay Cast
12h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 16m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.