• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:32
CEST 05:32
KST 12:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6441 users

The Math Thread - Page 17

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 32 Next All
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
December 15 2017 10:34 GMT
#321
And the solution for that question is in Travis post #315 and then further simplified in my post #316. It is basically a slightly more general version of your k²!/k!(k+1). Though it might have gotten lost in the editing of posts while others were talking.

Though i didn't get that +1, might have overseen it somewhere.

The result was n!/k!^(n/k) and only works if k divides n. (Otherwise there is no answer to the question.
Melliflue
Profile Joined October 2012
United Kingdom1389 Posts
December 15 2017 18:20 GMT
#322
On December 15 2017 07:21 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2017 04:38 Melliflue wrote:
I'm not sure what you want. Is it this?

[image loading]

And then you want to know how many such B there are. Is that right?

If so, then for k = 1 there are no solutions, since the highest number you can pick is B = {n} and that is not big enough.
.


there is a miscommunication here. we make n choose k combinations, but these combinations are of size n/k, not of size k.

so for k = 1, we would a single set of (1,2,3...n) which would be our single solution.

Ah, sorry about that. So in what I wrote, you would need |B| = n/k. As Ciaus_Dronu said, the logic still works. Let j = n/k for convenience. There are n! permutations of 1,...,n. I split that into k blocks, each of size j. I don't care about the order within a block so I must divide by j! for each block, so that gives me (j!)^k. I don't care about the order of the blocks either so I divide by k! too. Final answer is

[image loading]
(I only repeated what Ciaus_Dronu said to add that expression since they had trouble with their latex image.)

I know this is almost what you and Simberto got too, minus a notational difference and a k! in the denominator for whether or not you care about the order of the blocks. I did miss some of the edits, but I wanted to give this explanation because I think it is neater. You get straight to the final answer without needing to simplify anything, and it nicely explains what that final expression means.

I am still thinking about the case where duplicates are allowed. I have not yet seen a simple way to do that.
amyamyamy
Profile Joined November 2017
76 Posts
December 17 2017 21:36 GMT
#323
Hey I was messing around with continued fractions and I came across something I definitely couldnt figure out myself and something Google didnt help me understand either

Basically I was wondering if there exists an elegant way to represent pi as an infinite continued fraction
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
December 17 2017 22:01 GMT
#324
Probably not

Pi is usually weird and there is no simple fractional way of describing it (Aside from silly stuff like Pi/1 )
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
December 17 2017 22:39 GMT
#325
On December 18 2017 06:36 amyamyamy wrote:
Hey I was messing around with continued fractions and I came across something I definitely couldnt figure out myself and something Google didnt help me understand either

Basically I was wondering if there exists an elegant way to represent pi as an infinite continued fraction

I'm pretty sure there are several based on the wolfram alpha page, in particular these two:
[image loading]
[image loading]
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
amyamyamy
Profile Joined November 2017
76 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-17 23:18:16
December 17 2017 23:17 GMT
#326
Oh what I meant is if theres an elegant way to derive a continued fraction representation (simple - or non-simple like your example) of pi.

Obviously one could approximate pi and construct a continued fraction from that approximation but what im wondering is if theres another way to derive CF for pi
Day_Walker
Profile Joined December 2013
104 Posts
December 18 2017 00:55 GMT
#327
I'm not sure it will meet your idea of "elegant", but this page might have what you want:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_continued_fraction

(The application to pi is in this section.)
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 15:09:58
December 24 2017 15:09 GMT
#328
I need to find a summation, and it might be too difficult for me to figure out myself in any reasonable amount of time.
If any of you can figure it out, I would be very, very thankful. So thankful that in the future you may possibly (unlikely, but possible), get compensation.


Say we have a number of elements, n.

I have a target I want to reach: ( [the floor of(n-1)/2] - n - 1)

This needs to be found over a sum of (n-2) steps. No more, no less.
I need it to be distributed such that

1.) the summation uses all (n-2) steps
and
2.) the size of the value being added in an earlier step is never lower than the size of the value being added in a later step
and 3.) the size of the value being added in each step is as uniform as possible.



example:

n = 9
target sum: 22
number of steps: 7

example sum: 4+3+3+3+3+3+3


so, I realize the question might be a little non-specific, so there may be some wiggle room for interpretation. But hopefully it's enough information to garner a good general solution.

thank you!
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
December 24 2017 15:37 GMT
#329
@travis

Is this what you are aiming for:
--------------------------------------------------------
Given some n positive integer.
[image loading]
(This is weird to me as S will be negative)

You now what to represent S as a summation of n-2 integers.

[image loading]

And the sequence of integers is decreasing, and does not contain 0.

Further, some idea of uniformity is desirable.
--------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure there isn't a typo in your target value? Because it will be negative =/
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 17:21:28
December 24 2017 17:20 GMT
#330
Maybe he meant the floor of (n-1)^2/2, and not (n-1)/2?
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 18:57:14
December 24 2017 18:32 GMT
#331
On December 25 2017 02:20 The_Templar wrote:
Maybe he meant the floor of (n-1)^2/2, and not (n-1)/2?


That would make sense with the example given.
So far splitting into cases where n is even / odd, I'm getting somewhere for even. Although it looks by far less technical and annoying than for n odd.

EDIT: Still long and annoying though

EDIT 2: Analysis for n even won't be fun to format here, can I link an online latex document when that's done? It'll only be for the even case unfortunately. Odd will likely take hours T.T
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 19:18:31
December 24 2017 18:56 GMT
#332
Sorry guys, I meant ( [the floor of((n-1)^2)/2] - n - 1)

So, (n-1) is squared.

that's why in my example, with a value of n=9
we do: n-1 = 8. 8^2 = 64. 64/2 = 32. 32-1-n = 22
so our target is 22


again, sorry about the error, I need to check these more closely before I walk away.


edit: just noticed the_templar predicted what I had meant. nice job


edit2:
I'm able to solve it in python(well, one possible solution.. depending on interpretation I think there are more), but I still don't know how to translate it to math, and having the math may make it more likely I can extract useful information to make my algorithm better.

If it's helpful for you, this is the code:

max = ((n-1)**2)/2 - 1 - n
levels = n-2
min = max/levels
other = max-(min*levels)
max = min+1
maxlevels = other
minlevels = levels-other

this gives me a sum where the first "maxlevels" steps are of value "max", and the following "minlevels" steps are of value "min", and these values will vary by only 1
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
December 24 2017 20:03 GMT
#333
Just fixing a mistake and then I'll put up a solution that easily adapts for all cases!
Fear not ^^
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 20:12:31
December 24 2017 20:07 GMT
#334
Okay here is an overleaf read-only thing you can view. It should let you generate a PDF. It only has the even solution, but I can do the odd one now quickly too.

Overleaf link

EDIT: You can click PDF on the top bar of the screen to get something easier to read.
EDIT 2: Lots of typos, that is a "live" link so I'll fix them as I see them.
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 21:17:37
December 24 2017 20:36 GMT
#335
I'm not able to get this to work nicely for odd case, keep getting a 1/2 term floating around that definitely doesn't work. I've probably done something not clever >.>

EDIT: Solved. For odd numbers greater than 7 anyway (everything smaller you can have as its own case).
I'll put in the solution soon, I just need to shower and then I'll type it up.
Ciaus_Dronu
Profile Joined June 2017
South Africa1848 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-24 22:19:05
December 24 2017 22:13 GMT
#336
Done!
If anything is unclear or poorly explained, just say and I'll fix it up.

The link is here again:
Link to read-only text

EDIT:
The conclusion is as follows:
For n even, you want the first (n-5) terms to be n/2 - 1, and the last 3 terms to be n/2 - 2.
For n odd, you want the first (n-1)/2 - 3 terms to be (n-1)/2, and the rest of the terms to be (n-3)/2.

With the steps I have included, it is also easy to spot the special cases where all the terms can be the same and where this can't be done at all, although that's not difficult on its own.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-02-20 19:09:56
February 20 2018 18:56 GMT
#337
Not sure this is math. It's more signal processing, but guess I'll post it here.

I am trying to find useful descriptors for a completely irregular (discrete) time series. And when I say completely irregular, I mean that it looks random, and is made to look even more random after a dfft.
Here's an example:
[image loading]

Every sample produces a series like this one. What I plotted here is the time series, the mean and mean + 1 std deviation for this sample, and mean, and mean +1 std deviation for the entire population. Mean - 1 std deviation is always < 0, so not very useful.

What are useful ways for describing data of this kind of data? Because I am mostly interested in the peaks, their spacing and things, I was thinking of using the following descriptors:

number of peaks > mean + 1 std dev.
height of the highest peak (probably not meaningful data)
%time > mean + 1 std dev.
%time < mean.
max time between peaks.
min time between peaks.

But they seem completely ad-hoc choices. Are there more principled ways of describing a time series with what appears to be no periodical component?

Oh, what I forgot is that I can play with the window. I am now grouping events together by minute, but I can play with the window size, or do a sliding window (not sure what the point of that is in this case, other than to have a smoothing effect). Making the window size too small (10 sec) seems to make it uselessly jittery though. The peaks get broken up into seemingly meaningless rapid peak-vale-peak-vale intervals. 1 minute seems intuitively like a good trade-off between resolution and noise... but if there is a better way of analysing this, that would also help
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
February 22 2018 20:40 GMT
#338
Hey, seeing as no one else gave you an answer I thought I might add something. If I understand you correctly then as your sample points are seemingly random then there is no correlation to the time points, so why not leave time out of it an treat them as 1-dimensional samples. A good way of presenting such samples would be a box plot, which includes all statistical metrics commonly used.
This is our town, scrub
Joni_
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany355 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-02-23 14:35:20
February 23 2018 14:34 GMT
#339
Random pure maths question:

What are sufficient conditions on a Banach Algebra to guarantee that an element whose spectrum is a subset of {0,1} is a projection, i.e., self-adjoint and idempotent?

The Algebra being a C*-Algebra is certainly sufficient, but I'm specifically looking for weaker conditions, because C* is not guaranteed in my case.
KR_4EVR
Profile Joined July 2017
316 Posts
February 23 2018 23:40 GMT
#340
On December 18 2017 08:17 amyamyamy wrote:
Oh what I meant is if theres an elegant way to derive a continued fraction representation (simple - or non-simple like your example) of pi.

Obviously one could approximate pi and construct a continued fraction from that approximation but what im wondering is if theres another way to derive CF for pi


There is (unlike what is suggested by the uneducated people who have told you otherwise). But to understand it you would have needed to have deep understanding of jacobi theta functions.

However, I can give you a cleaner way.

Remember arctan(1)=Pi/4, right?
but also, arctan(x) = x - x^3/3+x^5/5-x^7/7+x^9/9 - ....
so you can write:

PI = 4 x (1-1/3 +1/5 -1/7 +1/9-1/11+1/13-...... )

Many other series of simmilar type abound. The best are in base 8 and base 16, though. The best one is called the BBP digit extraction algorithm because it literally allows you to finish computing one digit at a time before you have everything (think: base 16 more dense than base 10) It reads:

PI = Sum over k from zero to infinity 1/16^k * [ 4/(8k+1)- 2/(8k+4) -1/(8k+5)-1/(8k+6)]

Note that these aren't "magic numbers". They come from modular rings in base 17.
Et tu Brute ?
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings156
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft482
RuFF_SC2 228
ViBE107
Nina 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4122
GuemChi 1194
Terrorterran 91
910 73
Bale 30
NaDa 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever461
Counter-Strike
taco 523
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox999
Other Games
summit1g8158
JimRising 604
C9.Mang0302
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP125
• Hupsaiya 61
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo907
• Stunt265
Other Games
• Shiphtur589
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 29m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.