• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:36
CEST 07:36
KST 14:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202613Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10124 users

Fountain Pens - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 Next All
Badfatpanda
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States9719 Posts
April 23 2013 11:02 GMT
#41
Kinda funny, I actually just inherited my great grandmother's old waterman set for my birthday, been liking it so far!

Semi off-topic but I've recently started using a brush pen for writing kanji, it's a Kaimei hair brush pen and although the stock ink is a little weak it's been wonderful to write with.
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. -Beethoven | Mech isn't a build, it's a way of life. -MajOr | Charlie.Sheen: "What is sarcastic, kids who have no courage to fight?" | #TerranPride #yolo #swag -Naama after 2-0'ing MC at HSC VI
Prog455
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark970 Posts
April 23 2013 11:26 GMT
#42
On April 23 2013 18:22 Firebolt145 wrote:
So if I wanted to buy a fountain pen from Amazon.co.uk, budget up to...£20 or so. What would your recommendations be? I don't really know what other criteria I should have. Probably a 'fine' nib? Hmm.


Lamy Sarafi is probably your best option. In terms of nibs it is a matter of taste. German nibs tend to be a little wider than Japanese, but i'd say that a medium nib would be a fine nib for an all-round pen. Also fine nibs can be a little scratchier even though i doubt that would be a problem with a Lamy Sarafi nib.
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
April 23 2013 11:29 GMT
#43
On April 23 2013 19:58 Szgk wrote:
Show nested quote +
This pen is ultra cheap - almost as cheap as a Pilot G2 gel rollerball. With bottled ink this pen will end up costing less than a single pack of 12 G2 gel pens

Interesting that you mention the G2. It is my pen of choice. Is it popular? I came by it by chance.
I wouldn't buy a 12-pack of those pens though: you can get refills for around 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the pen.

I have a fountain pen as well - it was a graduation gift from my parents. I use it extremely rarely though.


I won't use any other pen.
Detri
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United Kingdom683 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 11:34:32
April 23 2013 11:33 GMT
#44
Ah glad to see nerds who hate disposable pens to. I love to have a pen with a little weight behind it, not a bic biro!

[image loading]

similar to what I roll with, except mine has a gold coloured clip. Also have the matching fountain pen, but I rarely use it.

Good pens make writing a joy, and fuck getting calluses on your middle finger.
The poor are thieves, beggars and whores, the rich are politicians, solicitors and courtesans...
Saumure
Profile Joined February 2012
France404 Posts
April 23 2013 12:56 GMT
#45
I have one of those pelikan pens. I love writing with it, althoguh i don't use it every day at the university for writing and stuff, simply because I am afraid of dropping i.e. scratching/breaking it.
But I have to say, nothing is better then the 10€ parker fountain pen. Speed, feeling and durability is simply awesome :p
radscorpion9
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada2252 Posts
April 23 2013 13:07 GMT
#46
On April 23 2013 19:57 wptlzkwjd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2013 18:37 SCDoGo wrote:
For those who enjoy writing with a fountain pen, this video is simply amazing.

+ Show Spoiler +


I love how he uses all parts of the nib for different effects.


Oh god I love videos like those! Check this one out:



This one is particularly good, because it has David Byrne in it . Great music!
Butterednuts
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States859 Posts
April 23 2013 13:10 GMT
#47
I like pens but I don't ever need to write anything other than checks every now and then. Getting a pen for the sake of having the pen would be just a waste of money.
Chameleons Cast No Shadows
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
April 23 2013 14:05 GMT
#48
I've 2 fountain pens I used to use to draw mangá. Haven't used them in 2 years though, but this thread re-sparkled the fire!

Drawing with them feels so good

Btw, how to you call these in english?
[image loading]

They are just the nib, that you sink in ink to make it write/draw. I've one of those too, and I actually like it better than the fountain pens
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 15:02:34
April 23 2013 15:02 GMT
#49
On April 23 2013 23:05 fabiano wrote:
I've 2 fountain pens I used to use to draw mangá. Haven't used them in 2 years though, but this thread re-sparkled the fire!

Drawing with them feels so good

Btw, how to you call these in english?
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


They are just the nib, that you sink in ink to make it write/draw. I've one of those too, and I actually like it better than the fountain pens

You call those a dip or a nib pen, in English.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
April 23 2013 15:10 GMT
#50
My father does a lot with fountain pens and watches, and I'm very fond of them too, I gotta say. I think a lot of them are SOO cool, and writing with them feels great. Though it is definitely a luxury thing.
User was warned for too many mimes.
Aocowns
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway6070 Posts
April 23 2013 16:02 GMT
#51
Great, another cool luxury I will have to indulge myself in, in the future
I'm a salt-lord and hater of mech and ForGG, don't take me seriously, it's just my salt-humour speaking i swear. |KadaverBB best TL gaoler| |~IdrA's #1 fan~| SetGuitarsToKill and Duckk are my martyr heroes |
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 16:14:40
April 23 2013 16:06 GMT
#52
Wow that LED video's sick but there's no way in hell I'd spend time practising that lol

My pen of choice for most of my life:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


In my defense, even G2s are expensive over here, it's the cost of a nice meal:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Bah my handwriting is had never grown past 5 years old anyway. In a way you could say that my handwriting's retarded hahaha

On April 23 2013 16:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
This makes my interests seem non-esoteric, but really loved the OP


and what might that be?
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 16:41:07
April 23 2013 16:27 GMT
#53
On April 23 2013 19:58 Szgk wrote:
Show nested quote +
This pen is ultra cheap - almost as cheap as a Pilot G2 gel rollerball. With bottled ink this pen will end up costing less than a single pack of 12 G2 gel pens

Interesting that you mention the G2. It is my pen of choice. Is it popular? I came by it by chance.
I wouldn't buy a 12-pack of those pens though: you can get refills for around 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the pen.

I have a fountain pen as well - it was a graduation gift from my parents. I use it extremely rarely though.


The G2 is the probably the smoothest gel pen you can get for that price. Pilot claims it's the #1 selling pen in the USA. I use them for work, I'm a waiter, so I need a handful of cheap pens I don't care about in case people take them. The only complaint about them I really have is that the clips are frail and always break on me after a while. If you have problems with your bodies also, I'd take a look at the G2 Limited:

http://www.pilotpen.us/ProductGroup/32-G2Limited.aspx

Same pen but with a metal body and clip that won't break so easily. I'm also a fan of the Zebra Sarasa clip, because the clip mechanism is awesome for someone like me who has to constantly place pens into a shirt pocket or apron. The Zebra airfit is probably my favorite gel pen for this reason. I use one as my main writing tool when I'm working.


Even if you only buy G2 refills, it's still more expensive per mL than a bottle of ink.

Here's an article about someone switching from Pilot's G2 pens to fountain pens with Noodler's ink.


http://mikeshea.net/Noodlers_Ink_the_Pilot_G2.html
+ Show Spoiler [Embedded Article] +
Yesterday great joy arrived at my apartment door in the manifestation of two 3 ounce bottles of Noodler's black fountain pen ink.

Now I love fountain pens but I also love knowing that my written word could conceivably last for a thousand years and I don't trust normal fountain pen ink. For about the past year, I have used Pilot G2 rollerball ink. G2 is archival quality, acid free, water resistant, costs a dollar at just about any grocery store, drug store, or stationary store, and fits inside of my favorite Waterman Expert rollerball pen as well as Rotring, Sheaffer, and other fancy pens. For the last year I used this ink exclusively, but something was missing. Here's the problem:

Fountain pens are cool.

Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and Neil Stephenson all wrote novels with a fountain pen. The technology of a fountain pen hasn't changed much since Lewis Waterman invented the capillary feed system in his fountain pen in 1884. World leaders used a Waterman fountain pen to sign the treaty of Versallis, one of the most damaging documents ever written (many blame the treaty of Versallis for the rise of Nazi Germany).

Fountain pens are classy. They feel traditional and cultured. They write smoothly without a single moving part. But there is a problem, a hypocracy.

Fountain pen ink is almost always water-based ink and while much of it is acid free and safe for use on high quality paper for permanent work, it is far from waterproof. I tested this by writing with Waterman-brand fountain pen ink on one side of a sheet of paper and Pilot G2-based rollerball ink on the other. I boiled the page for five minutes and removed it. The G2 ink was fine. The Waterman ink was completely gone.

Fountain pens, however, require water-based ink or they gum up and quit working right. When I tried to put an acrylic acid-free waterproof ink into my Waterman Phileas fountain pen, it gummed up in a couple of days. Only washing it out and replacing it with water-based ink made it write well again.

All seemed lost. Fountain pen ink didn't meet the criteria for Mike Shea's permanent inking solution. The criteria includes the following:

Easy to acquire
Inexpensive
Acid free
Black
Water resistant
Fade resistant in light exposure
But then, after much digging on the web and some suggestions from people over at Moleskinerie and other sources, I heard of a new ink, a magical ink:

Noodler's fountain pen ink.

This ink, though water-based, becomes waterproof when it chemically bonds to the cellulose on paper. A variety of tests in the harshest of circumstances shows that Noodler's fountain pen ink on paper can survive water soaking, acetone, naphtha, bleach, ammonia, blue magic, industrial cleaners and chemical lifters. A quick query out to Usenet gave me back the ink's pH acidity level of 7.1. pHs of 7 and above are considered acid free.

So I ordered up two bottles from Fountain Pen Hospital at $12 for a 3 ounce bottle and last night it arrived. What did I find?

I loaded my three fountain pens full of the Noodler's ink including my Waterman Phileas fine tip, my Waterman Expert 2 fine tip, and my Lamy Safari medium tip. I wrote out a page of text using each of the three pens for one or two paragraphs. I cut it up, took one of the paragraphs, and soaked it in water for about 20 minutes. Its just fine. The ink is as strong as it was when I put it in.

I found something else as well. My Expert 2 fountain pen, my personal favorite pen, had a bit of a broad line when writing with Waterman ink. When I switched to Noodler's I found that the line the pen wrote was much narrower yet flowed as smooth as I could ask for. I wrote a couple pages of a story in my favorite Moleskine pocket plain notebook without any bleed through and the tip width is perfect. I couldn't ask for a better pen.

So I now have an ink both worthy of daily writing and traditional enough to let me enjoy writing strange tales of the macabre in my new leather-bound journal or my pocket Moleskines.

While the Pilot G2 is a fine pen for daily writing and especially air travel, where fountain pens have a tendency of exploding with greatly humorous results, I will write daily with my Waterman Expert 2 fountain pen with Noodler's ink. It is traditional, fun, archival, and water resistant.


I'd also like to point out that fountain pens don't really explode on planes (As Mike suggests). They only leak if they are not stored properly, and all it takes is some understanding of the pressure changes during a flight. Higher altitude = Lower atmospheric pressure. Air potentially trapped in a pen is still at the pressure of ground level - so it tries to escape the pen, pushing ink out in the process. But there are a number of ways around this. Store the pen nib up so any air in the pen is near the tip and can more freely escape. I believe there is a pen that allows you to empty the feed and channels without emptying the ink reservoir, though I can't remember the name.

Brian Goulet on flying with pens:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Kukaracha
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France1954 Posts
April 23 2013 17:26 GMT
#54
Always, you've caught my attention.

Question : my writing is TERRIBLE. I learned how to write by myself as I missed the schoolyear when you learn how to do it and still went to the next class.

Does any of this help ? Having a nice pen, taking calligraphy classes...?
Le long pour l'un pour l'autre est court (le mot-à-mot du mot "amour").
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
April 23 2013 17:28 GMT
#55
Haha so that's how it's called. It's called "stylo-plume" in French, i.e. "feather pen".
Psychonian
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2322 Posts
April 23 2013 17:31 GMT
#56
Okay what?

Im sorry but this thread makes no sense to me. What little sense it makes seems interesting though.
Trans Rights
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
April 23 2013 18:50 GMT
#57
On April 24 2013 02:26 Kukaracha wrote:
Always, you've caught my attention.

Question : my writing is TERRIBLE. I learned how to write by myself as I missed the schoolyear when you learn how to do it and still went to the next class.

Does any of this help ? Having a nice pen, taking calligraphy classes...?

Nice handwriting is a skill that comes with practice. Learning calligraphy might help, but if you are looking to just improve your everyday normal handwriting, then that's what you need to practice. My English handwriting looks decent because I've been writing it for a very long time. My Japanese, on the other hand, looks kind of childish regardless of what pen I use because I don't have nearly as much practice with it.

Check out things like The Palmer Method
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 20:26:33
April 23 2013 20:25 GMT
#58
Montblanc pens look great but my handwriting looks like I have some sort of mental illness. It's one of those things I wish I could have, but really there's no point . I tried using a cheap fountain pen once and it went horribly, too.

Edit: I sincerely believe that my handwriting is unrecoverable, even if I trained
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 23 2013 20:32 GMT
#59
Palmer Method looks really interesting. My handwriting, if I say so myself, isn't bad by any means, but looking at a few images of Palmer Method handwriting makes me want to change a few of my letters. So far I've singled out my F's, R's and S's as letters I want to change. Already tried so briefly, goddamn it's hard to change old habits.
Moderator
BearStorm
Profile Joined September 2010
United States795 Posts
April 23 2013 20:35 GMT
#60
I received a really nice one as a gift. As cool and stylish as it is, it still writes differently than a ball point pen. Sadly I prefer the latter.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 183
Nina 113
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3843
Sharp 415
Mong 90
Dewaltoss 85
Icarus 9
Noble 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King216
Other Games
summit1g7069
WinterStarcraft592
C9.Mang0276
Sick139
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 38
• StrangeGG 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2256
League of Legends
• Lourlo1091
• Stunt384
Other Games
• Shiphtur467
Upcoming Events
OSC
17h 25m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 4h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.