• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:56
CEST 03:56
KST 10:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10147 users

Fountain Pens - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25 26 Next All
sushiman
Profile Joined September 2003
Sweden2691 Posts
April 23 2013 20:58 GMT
#61
I mostly use pens for drawing so I primarily judge them for how good they are in that aspect, and fountain pens are probably the ones I find most annoying to use. They tend to bleed like hell unless your lines are as fast as when you're writing, which makes them really hard to use. Dip pens can be quite nice though, even though I've found the nibs to be a bit unreliable in durability. The control you can have over bleeding makes them quite nice, and the lines have a good quality about them with the varying thickness, as well as the solidness of the ink.
Nothing beats a good 0.5 or smaller ballpoint though, I love the quick and thin lines you can make with one of those.
1000 at least.
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
April 23 2013 21:07 GMT
#62
On April 23 2013 16:46 Chaggi wrote:
I have a Mont Blanc one but I have no idea what in the world I'd use it for. Got it as a gift and used it once to forge some signatures.


lol dno why but laughed at this one
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
April 23 2013 21:14 GMT
#63
I have not yet graduated from using pencils
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
April 23 2013 21:18 GMT
#64
On April 24 2013 06:14 Plexa wrote:
I have not yet graduated from using pencils


I see no reason why you need to. Something about fountain pens seems very elitist to me. Guess I'll stick with my Bic Cristals and spend that money elsewhere.
KasPra
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Estonia983 Posts
April 23 2013 21:24 GMT
#65
I love a good pen, and not because I try to be smug or save money.

You can write beautiful calligraphy with them and writing with a fountain pen simply feels good.

I can't quite explain it.
Mongoose
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 21:28:17
April 23 2013 21:24 GMT
#66
This thread brought back some good school memories. An English teacher once forced everyone to write with a fountain pen in class. I got really fond of fountain pens, and bought a few nice ones for myself (all were the exact same model of pen, I liked them so much that I bought like 3 of them).

I can't remember what they were called, but they were really thick and nice to hold/write with, and had colorful designs on them.

My pens got the nickname "fat pen" from my classmates, which was often mentioned jokingly when I took it out and started writing with it
Master league EU Terran
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
April 23 2013 21:35 GMT
#67
I have a preppy pen which my friend gave me for christmas. It's really a lot of fun to use... except it was too fragile, so I just keep it in my room for use. I prefer the RSVP ball point pens right now to the preppy pen, but still, fountain pens are awesome. :3
darkness overpowering
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
April 23 2013 21:37 GMT
#68
Evolution of pens has given us the pilot g-tech c4.
Maxhster
Profile Joined March 2011
Fiji473 Posts
April 23 2013 23:10 GMT
#69
interesting topic

[image loading]

this is what i started to learn to write with and most of my school life i used a Füllfederhalter (or Füller) as they are called over here. In university ive been using mostly ball pens tho. I think my handwriting got worse when i stopped using fountain pens.
rawr
Skilledblob
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany3392 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-23 23:27:13
April 23 2013 23:25 GMT
#70
it's a shame that proper handwriting is dying out in favor of writing letters like in this text. not sure about other countries but here schools are shifting more and more to this type of letters and move away from ligatures ( I hope that's the right word)
ain
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany786 Posts
April 23 2013 23:50 GMT
#71
Learning to write with a fountain pen is part of the curriculum in many (all?) german elementary schools. As such I've been using them a lot. Since I'm left-handed I always had to take care of not wiping over the line I'm writing so eventually I started using ballpoint pens, because their ink dries faster.

If there was something like that for fountain pens I'd switch over in an instant as they're much smoother to write with.
LaNague
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany9118 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-24 00:27:17
April 24 2013 00:24 GMT
#72
oh, this is something special? I thought everyone uses them in school, at least we did.

I still have a cheap one from Lamy with a very narrow tip for writing formulas.
I find its easier on the hand to write with them compared to a normal pen. It also looks 10 times better.



Though, i dont understand why people buy pens for 200+ euro. We have a store in my small town that has like 100 of those insanely expensive pens. A Lamy pen is just fine for me.
EleanorRIgby
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada3923 Posts
April 24 2013 00:25 GMT
#73
On April 24 2013 06:14 Plexa wrote:
I have not yet graduated from using pencils


same lol, pencils all the way
savior did nothing wrong
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
April 24 2013 00:37 GMT
#74
When I was in school in China (1993-1999), everybody used fountain pens, because the teachers prohibited us from using ballpoints because they weren't as good for writing neatly (I can only guess this was held true all across China). The cheaper ones leaked like crazy, and I hated using them until my mom gave me a Parker, which I loved, and I think I still have it somewhere in my parents' house.

I've always wanted a proper fountain pen actually, thought about buying another Parker for old times' sake, or a Japanese one (because they make everything so damn amazing), but I really really really don't have a use for them.

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
April 24 2013 00:41 GMT
#75
But you can't erase ink........
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
April 24 2013 00:50 GMT
#76
A practice league level noob to fountain pans:
a) are fountain pens bad for print? (vs cursive) My cursive is too illegible so I gave up using cursive to take notes during my university years to save time reviewing them on a later date. These days I mostly write or discuss things printing on a white board.

b) how durable are these pens? I am really afraid of leakage of any sort. The pen may not may not be left out in the cold where it is -15C or inside a car during summer that can go up to 35C (will the ink explode from the head from the heat?). Having my pen leak/poke through paper in the middle of a business meeting can be quite problematic.

c) how "fine" can these pens go? I use mostly extra fine ink-based ball pens (common one I use is the pilot v5 - though I got finer ones).
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
April 24 2013 00:50 GMT
#77
On April 24 2013 06:14 Plexa wrote:
I have not yet graduated from using pencils


Then there's a blog for you!

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
April 24 2013 01:00 GMT
#78
On April 24 2013 08:50 ain wrote:
Learning to write with a fountain pen is part of the curriculum in many (all?) german elementary schools. As such I've been using them a lot. Since I'm left-handed I always had to take care of not wiping over the line I'm writing so eventually I started using ballpoint pens, because their ink dries faster.

If there was something like that for fountain pens I'd switch over in an instant as they're much smoother to write with.

Yeah fountain pens are awful for lefties... I wonder if there is any super-fast drying ink that might help.
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-24 01:18:46
April 24 2013 01:10 GMT
#79
On April 24 2013 08:50 ain wrote:
Learning to write with a fountain pen is part of the curriculum in many (all?) german elementary schools. As such I've been using them a lot. Since I'm left-handed I always had to take care of not wiping over the line I'm writing so eventually I started using ballpoint pens, because their ink dries faster.

If there was something like that for fountain pens I'd switch over in an instant as they're much smoother to write with.


There are a number of inks that are advertised as "fast drying." Private Reserve Midnight Blue is one such ink. I think Noodler's Ink makes some as well.

If you want to try a few, many shops sell samples of ink, at usually less than $1. They typically come in a small vial.
Search for "fast dry" inks at Goulet Pens - Samples are 2ml for $1.25.

FPN thread on good inks for lefties

On April 24 2013 09:37 Cambium wrote:
When I was in school in China (1993-1999), everybody used fountain pens, because the teachers prohibited us from using ballpoints because they weren't as good for writing neatly (I can only guess this was held true all across China). The cheaper ones leaked like crazy, and I hated using them until my mom gave me a Parker, which I loved, and I think I still have it somewhere in my parents' house.

I've always wanted a proper fountain pen actually, thought about buying another Parker for old times' sake, or a Japanese one (because they make everything so damn amazing), but I really really really don't have a use for them.


Cheap chinese pens don't have that great of a reputation from what I've read/watched. If you want a proper Japanese pen, a mid-range one that most really enjoy is the Pilot Prera. If you're in Tokyo check out some art supply stores in Shinjuku. There's one (can't remember the name) there that sells it for 2,800 yen IIRC. Otherwise http://www.stationeryart.com/index.php has them for $34. Both much cheaper (It retails at $70.)

On April 24 2013 06:18 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2013 06:14 Plexa wrote:
I have not yet graduated from using pencils


I see no reason why you need to. Something about fountain pens seems very elitist to me. Guess I'll stick with my Bic Cristals and spend that money elsewhere.

If you do a lot of writing, the comfort factor alone would enough for me to switch to fountain pens. Those bic cristals take way more pressure to operate than any half decent fountain pen.

I'd say that the super expensive fountain pens seem a bit elitist... but super expensive ballpoints also exist.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
April 24 2013 01:13 GMT
#80
On April 24 2013 06:18 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2013 06:14 Plexa wrote:
I have not yet graduated from using pencils


I see no reason why you need to. Something about fountain pens seems very elitist to me. Guess I'll stick with my Bic Cristals and spend that money elsewhere.



Hmm maybe. I use my pen because it is extra fine and it allows me to fit notes into the lecture slides I print off 4 per page.
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12909
Shuttle 888
Artosis 603
Dewaltoss 56
NaDa 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm161
League of Legends
Doublelift4205
Counter-Strike
taco 477
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox562
AZ_Axe96
Other Games
summit1g8484
Day[9].tv512
C9.Mang0335
WinterStarcraft222
Maynarde146
ViBE123
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv512
Upcoming Events
OSC
21h 5m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 8h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.