• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:48
CEST 22:48
KST 05:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12477 users

Hipsters -- a disturbing look at US culture - Page 9

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Rakanishu2
Profile Joined May 2009
United States475 Posts
September 29 2010 15:54 GMT
#161
On September 29 2010 09:10 Kennigit wrote:
Hipsters are the reason i think we need mandatory military service immediately after high school. That or labor camps.



Self-righteous people are the reason I think we shouldn't.
10 G's in the packet and I'm ready to roll, on fire like a rocket and I'm ready to blow
Substance59
Profile Joined June 2010
United States110 Posts
September 29 2010 15:56 GMT
#162
theyre no worse than super party bros, at least theyre biking and saving the environment a little bit instead of having huge trucks and jeeps causing mayhem
Phantom
Profile Joined September 2004
Canada2151 Posts
September 29 2010 15:59 GMT
#163
On September 29 2010 15:24 k20a wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2010 13:03 Mjolnir wrote:

Hipsters:


I apologize if:

a) this has already been posted
b) you haven't seen this (it cannot be unseen)
c) you actually like Art School douchebaggery


I know this isn't adding anything to the discussion.. but what the fuck did I just watch?
Girl struggles for minutes to open a can..
Puts contents of said can on her shirt while saying weird backwards-ish shit..
Proceeds to rip her pants and piss in the can (WTF ART?)..
aaaaaaaand cleans it up with her shirt to exit.

Maybe I just don't have an appreciative eye for "art"...
LOL


I get a feeling more than half the people in that room were like, WTF...and really they didn't want the girl to feel bad and just went along with it...if not...then...wow...
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/members/Phantom
OPSavioR
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1465 Posts
September 29 2010 16:10 GMT
#164
Hipsters everywhere...
i dunno lol
TheTuna
Profile Joined August 2009
United States286 Posts
September 29 2010 16:23 GMT
#165
Starcraft t-shirts > flannel.

That's my position.
ryanAnger
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States838 Posts
September 29 2010 16:27 GMT
#166
On September 29 2010 09:24 No_Roo wrote:
Do not underestimate hipsters or the damage they inflict on a culture collectively.

Example: Hipsters buy iphones because they are trendy when most of them (not 100%) actually would have been better off buying some other device to satisfy their needs (some other smart phone that doesn't have absurd software restrictions, maybe a small laptop.)

Hipsters now try to justify their purchase by pressuring others into buying other apple products with the promise of being trendy. As the fad catches on it validates the hipster.

The company (in this example apple) determines they can establish a marketing strategy to pander to these people and make considerable profits off of them while gaining marketshare simply by deploying products with stupid features that obfuscate as much of what actually happens in the device as possible.

As the market share increases, you start noticing more and more people sending you PDF files in your office that are mostly just single image files wrapped in a PDF, or a short list or memo that should have been in a text file. This is happening because as more people use products designed for the hipsters, they become less and less aware of the technology they are using, and how to use it properly.

After rejecting said PDF mails for months, one day some one sends you a .webarchive, you then completely flip out, grab your ak-47 put on a ski mask and go to the nearest school spraying bullets into the wall then taking your own life in a rather tragic turn of events.

Hipsters will never go away, and like bacteria in your digestive system, they do play an important role. But efforts must be made to suppress them whenever they start multiplying out of control or start spreading to areas that they have no business being around.


I didn't realize Chuck Palahniuk frequented these forums.

Seriously. This sounds like something straight out of his books.
On my way...
TheGreatWhiteHope_
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States335 Posts
September 29 2010 16:41 GMT
#167
On September 29 2010 09:13 BigBadSkathe wrote:
I feel like the OP is entirely too serious for the subject material.


This.
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
September 29 2010 17:07 GMT
#168
Am I the only person here who people regularly identify as hipster? I don't think of myself as one, but everyone else does, so maybe i can explain a few things to you.

I have a collection of baller sunglasses, I wear tighter fitting clothes, im super skinny, I am up to date with culture, and my favorite bands are bands that none of you have ever heard of (or if you have, props to you! Long live Ed Sharpe & Magnetic Zeroes, Deadmau5, and Radiohead!). I hang out with kids who wear ironic t-shirts and flannel. I wear colorful clothes mixed with preppy clothes, but I buy all of them at goodwill. I buy 7$ organic crackers at whole foods. I don't shop at target after that whole emmer thing (MN politics, you don't have to care to get my point). I drink PBR (actually i'm moving to hams, you can get a 30 pack here for like 18 bucks and its not bad beer).

I guess, yeah, maybe you could call me hipster. I don't understand why so many people have such a problem with this. I'm not hurting anyone by being ironic; in fact, i think the OP is probably the biggest hipster in the world. This is EXACTLY the sort of thread a hipster would not make, which means that its almost inevitable that one would make it. Is the whole ironic thing making more sense?

and to all the people who think hipsters are rich as fuck: LOL. you CLEARLY do not know any of my friends. we're all poor as balls. I couldn't even afford books for school this year.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
cyrus.beacon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States22 Posts
September 29 2010 17:20 GMT
#169
On September 30 2010 02:07 tnkted wrote:
Am I the only person here who people regularly identify as hipster? I don't think of myself as one, but everyone else does, so maybe i can explain a few things to you.

I have a collection of baller sunglasses, I wear tighter fitting clothes, im super skinny, I am up to date with culture, and my favorite bands are bands that none of you have ever heard of (or if you have, props to you! Long live Ed Sharpe & Magnetic Zeroes, Deadmau5, and Radiohead!). I hang out with kids who wear ironic t-shirts and flannel. I wear colorful clothes mixed with preppy clothes, but I buy all of them at goodwill. I buy 7$ organic crackers at whole foods. I don't shop at target after that whole emmer thing (MN politics, you don't have to care to get my point). I drink PBR (actually i'm moving to hams, you can get a 30 pack here for like 18 bucks and its not bad beer).

I guess, yeah, maybe you could call me hipster. I don't understand why so many people have such a problem with this. I'm not hurting anyone by being ironic; in fact, i think the OP is probably the biggest hipster in the world. This is EXACTLY the sort of thread a hipster would not make, which means that its almost inevitable that one would make it. Is the whole ironic thing making more sense?

and to all the people who think hipsters are rich as fuck: LOL. you CLEARLY do not know any of my friends. we're all poor as balls. I couldn't even afford books for school this year.


Maybe you're poor as balls because you spend $7 on crackers? But props to you for having the courage to come out and admit to being a hipster in this one-sided thread...
buffkarpov
Profile Joined September 2010
6 Posts
September 29 2010 17:20 GMT
#170
Anybody who uses the term hipster is a hipster or an old person. If you hate hipsters you are a hipster.
Clearout
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1060 Posts
September 29 2010 17:23 GMT
#171
On September 30 2010 02:07 tnkted wrote:
and my favorite bands are bands that none of you have ever heard of (or if you have, props to you! Long live Ed Sharpe & Magnetic Zeroes, Deadmau5, and Radiohead!).
Seriously? I mean, I havent heard of the first band, but Radiohead is rather famous, and you dont really have to look far into trance / hardstyle without Deadmau5 popping up either. Anyhow, good for you that you know what you "are" and even better that you dont care I guess
really?
buffkarpov
Profile Joined September 2010
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 17:25:54
September 29 2010 17:25 GMT
#172
On September 30 2010 02:07 tnkted wrote:
and my favorite bands are bands that none of you have ever heard of (or if you have, props to you! Long live Ed Sharpe & Magnetic Zeroes, Deadmau5, and Radiohead!)

it's cool because all these groups/artists are incredibly mainstream
Gatsbi
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1134 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 17:27:33
September 29 2010 17:26 GMT
#173
On September 30 2010 02:07 tnkted wrote:
and my favorite bands are bands that none of you have ever heard of (or if you have, props to you! Long live Ed Sharpe & Magnetic Zeroes, Deadmau5, and Radiohead!).


Yeah man, no one has ever heard of Radiohead, Deadmau5, or Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes...... LOL. how did you get such unique and odd taste in music (seriously, RADIOHEAD? WHAT IS THAT?), you're so ironic!!
"IF WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW IS MORE THAN WHAT YOU HAVE KNOWN. THEN YOU HAVE NOT KNOWN ANYTHINIG YET." - Rev Kojo Smith
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
September 29 2010 17:29 GMT
#174
I hate hipsters cause I'm at NYU. Hipsters every where.

I hate hippies cause I lived in Boulder. Hippies everywhere.

...

People tell me I'm a bit of both D:
TranslatorBaa!
Mjolnir
Profile Joined January 2009
912 Posts
September 29 2010 17:41 GMT
#175

I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.

Unless he's trolling... in which case, Bravo!

If that's good art, wtf is bad art?!

Oh, that's definitely not good Art. That's not even good art.

I know this isn't adding anything to the discussion.. but what the fuck did I just watch?
Girl struggles for minutes to open a can..
Puts contents of said can on her shirt while saying weird backwards-ish shit..
Proceeds to rip her pants and piss in the can (WTF ART?)..
aaaaaaaand cleans it up with her shirt to exit.

Young art-school girl trying to make a nihilistic statement about society and its values; the absurdity of placing value on anything, and the utter meaninglessness of "things."

Maybe I just don't have an appreciative eye for "art"...
LOL

It's not that you don't have an eye for art; it's that you probably do, which is why it looks absurd.

Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
September 29 2010 17:47 GMT
#176
On September 30 2010 02:29 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
I hate hipsters cause I'm at NYU. Hipsters every where.

I hate hippies cause I lived in Boulder. Hippies everywhere.

...

People tell me I'm a bit of both D:

I don't find hippie porn all that bad sometimes
TheTuna
Profile Joined August 2009
United States286 Posts
September 29 2010 17:58 GMT
#177
Oh, also, I realize music is a very subjective, personal thing, but I LOATHE hipster/indie music.

Mind you, I don't just sit around blasting metal, I listen to a wide range of music; I just can't stand indie/hipster music for some reason.
Kamille
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Monaco1035 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 18:13:00
September 29 2010 18:11 GMT
#178
On September 30 2010 02:20 buffkarpov wrote:
Anybody who uses the term hipster is a hipster or an old person. If you hate hipsters you are a hipster.


I don't hate hipsters to be hip. I hate them because they are causing the decay of art with their so called "performance art" and I think this a good enough reason to hate them. I don't want to generalize or stereotype, but they are stupid. I've dealt with people who think they are deep with absolutely NO knowledge of what they are talking about. How can you hope to understand and have a level of depth when you have no knowledge of the past. I'm arguing this in reference to art. Most of them just make shit up and have no basis to form their knowledge on. The idea of art school is bullshit unless you start from the very beginning instead of starting at Jackson Pollock and his bullshit. If the majority of hipsters are constantly "going to parties, blogging" or bathing in their own "coolness" as everyone suggests that leaves no time to actually LEARN about art they pretend to understand. In essence, I stand diametrically opposed to hipsters and that is why I hate them.

Edit: wrong pronoun
Priphea
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
September 29 2010 18:22 GMT
#179
i'm not really up to date on whats mainstream and whats not, and i don't really care, those are my favorite bands. if you're curious, here is some other music i like: Aphex twin (the earlier stuff, saw1 & 2), the roots, felix cartel, gtronic, pheonix, nin, deerhoof, caribou, local natives, etc. Are those mainstream? I wouldn't know, i never listen to the radio. all i know is that if i mention ANY of those bands to any of my uncool friends (lol) they are all like 'man, have you heard of taylor swift? she's pretty good.

You can spend your time bitching or you can ask me some questions. as i understood it, the point of this thread is for the OP to learn a bit about hipsterdom. if i'm wrong, and this is about trolling hipsters, i can bum off.

also, im making the

I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.


my new siggy.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
September 29 2010 18:22 GMT
#180
when im not in class, that is.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O132
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19096
Calm 2125
Shuttle 324
White-Ra 189
Mini 168
ZZZero.O 132
firebathero 73
soO 11
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1520
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5038
Liquid`Hasu646
Other Games
summit1g6790
Liquid`RaSZi2219
FrodaN2072
fl0m1322
crisheroes308
IndyStarCraft 247
Pyrionflax221
Livibee184
Mew2King56
ToD10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick928
BasetradeTV194
StarCraft 2
angryscii 20
EmSc Tv 16
EmSc2Tv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 30
• musti20045 1
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki43
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1383
• Shiphtur690
• WagamamaTV372
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 13m
Replay Cast
2h 13m
OSC
15h 13m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.