• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:07
CEST 14:07
KST 21:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6343 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 864

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 862 863 864 865 866 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
March 26 2017 19:56 GMT
#17261
On March 27 2017 00:45 travis wrote:
Oh blitz that's an excellent example, thank you.

Just to make sure I am on the right page here, the poblem is that when we dereference p and w in our print statement, they are both going to print from the same address, which currently holds the result of get_val(100) ?


You won't advance at all in C/C++ before you learn the basics, which includes automatic/manual memory and pointers. What you're doing is that you're leaking a pointer to automatic memory (which is always scoped, in this case, within the function body) outside of it's scope. Dereferencing such a pointer is undefined behavior - your program is allowed to do anything, including really gruesome stuff.
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
Wrath
Profile Blog Joined July 2014
3175 Posts
March 27 2017 06:22 GMT
#17262
Any ETA on the "Soon" new OP?
DickMcFanny
Profile Blog Joined September 2015
Ireland1076 Posts
March 27 2017 08:41 GMT
#17263
Are there any game devs here?

I'm doing a web dev course but it itches me to start creating a game 2d game in the vein of Super Metroid.

What technologies should I start to learn if my focus is low input latency and 60 FPS / controller support?
Game should run on Linux, OSX and Windows.
| (• ◡•)|╯ ╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
March 27 2017 09:11 GMT
#17264
On March 27 2017 17:41 DickMcFanny wrote:
Are there any game devs here?

I'm doing a web dev course but it itches me to start creating a game 2d game in the vein of Super Metroid.

What technologies should I start to learn if my focus is low input latency and 60 FPS / controller support?
Game should run on Linux, OSX and Windows.

All my game Dev friends talk about nowadays is unity, so I'd start with that and see if it suits your needs.
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
March 27 2017 09:12 GMT
#17265
On March 27 2017 17:41 DickMcFanny wrote:
Are there any game devs here?

I'm doing a web dev course but it itches me to start creating a game 2d game in the vein of Super Metroid.

What technologies should I start to learn if my focus is low input latency and 60 FPS / controller support?
Game should run on Linux, OSX and Windows.

Not quite yet but I have a job lined up for when I graduate not experienced with it for 2d games but I hear Unity is totally reasonable in terms of 2d performance, and has the bonus of being able to target all those platforms and more. Definitely supports controllers too. You could probably achieve something similar with other engines (Unreal is another popular one) but I have even less experience with them than with Unity lol
DickMcFanny
Profile Blog Joined September 2015
Ireland1076 Posts
March 27 2017 09:26 GMT
#17266
On March 27 2017 18:11 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2017 17:41 DickMcFanny wrote:
Are there any game devs here?

I'm doing a web dev course but it itches me to start creating a game 2d game in the vein of Super Metroid.

What technologies should I start to learn if my focus is low input latency and 60 FPS / controller support?
Game should run on Linux, OSX and Windows.

All my game Dev friends talk about nowadays is unity, so I'd start with that and see if it suits your needs.


I'll start with Unity then, there's a billion tutorials and ebooks about that out there anyway.
| (• ◡•)|╯ ╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19257 Posts
March 27 2017 13:41 GMT
#17267
On March 27 2017 15:22 Wrath wrote:
Any ETA on the "Soon" new OP?

Soon
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
DickMcFanny
Profile Blog Joined September 2015
Ireland1076 Posts
March 27 2017 13:42 GMT
#17268
soon™
| (• ◡•)|╯ ╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 27 2017 21:31 GMT
#17269
Ok, need help with a proof, maybe some of you could tell me what you think

Question:

+ Show Spoiler +

Let T be defined by:

T_0 = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}
(for all n >= 0)[if x,y,z are in T_n, then x^2+y^2+z^2 are in t_(n+1)]

T = The union from i=0 to infinity of T_i

(so, it's T_0 U T_1 U T_2 etc etc)

Now, prove that for all w in T, w is not congruent to 7 (mod 8) using structural or weak induction


So, this is what I have so far:

+ Show Spoiler +

For all w in T_0, w fulfill the following cases

w = 0, w^2 is congruent to 0 mod 8
w = 1, w^2 is congruent to 1 mod 8
w = 2, w^2 is congruent to 4 mod 8
w = 3, w^2 is congruent to 1 mod 8
w = 4, w^2 is congruent to 0 mod 8
w = 5, w^2 is congruent to 1 mod 8
w = 6, w^2 is congruent to 4 mod 8

Therefore for all w in T_1, we have the following cases (all values are mod 8)

0+0+0 = 0
0+0+1 = 1
0+1+1 = 2
1+1+1 = 3
4+0+0 = 4
4+0+1 = 5
4+1+1 = 6

so like.. i think I already have shown what it takes to prove it. But I don't know how to form this into an inductive proof. Particularly weak induction where I need an inductive base, and inductive hypothesis, and inductive step. My base would be T_0 proof, but I don't know where I would go from there. So yeah, any help with that would be awesome

Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
March 27 2017 21:56 GMT
#17270
Assume it holds for T_n, and use that to prove it holds for T_n+1
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 27 2017 22:05 GMT
#17271
ohhhhhhhhhh right thanks
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-28 21:28:10
March 28 2017 19:55 GMT
#17272
I have a quiz on dynamic memory allocation tomorrow and I am a bit behind so I am reviewing.

+ Show Spoiler +

Implement the append function that has the prototype below. The function returns a string that represents
the concatenation of all the strings present in an array of strings. For this problem, you can assume the end
of the parameter array is marked by NULL. You need to allocate memory for the resulting string. You may
not modify the array parameter.
char* append(char *data[]);


Is this how you do that? Handwriting, not testing any of these yet.

+ Show Spoiler +


char* append(char *data[]) {
size = 0;
index = 0;
char *appendvalue;

while(data != NULL) {
size = strlen(data[index]) + size;
index++
}

appendvalue = malloc(size + 1)

index = 0;
while(data != NULL) {
strcat(appendvalue, data[index]);
index++
}

return appendvalue;
}




ok now please take it easy on me... very little experience in this realm. I have a feeling I am screwing multiple things up. Such as if I am even using strcat right (I get confused about the actual difference between how C treats a character array vs a char pointer. Also i suspect that the better way to do this may to use realloc in my first while loop and I wouldn't need a second while loop?

Or maybe I am just super super off base with all of this and am so far off that a hero can swoop in and save me?

Anyways thanks all for your time.

edit: more

+ Show Spoiler +

The following C statement creates an array of 14 characters.
char *desc = (char *) malloc(sizeof(char) * 14);
Indicate whether the code can be simplified or not. If the code cannot be simplified indicate NO. If it can be
simplified rewrite the code below.


change it to malloc(14) ?

last one:

+ Show Spoiler +

The following structures are used for these questions.

#define MAX_LEN 80
typedef struct {
char *title;
int duration;
} Song;
typedef struct {
Song* all_songs; /* array of songs */
int number_of_songs;
char album_name[MAX_LEN + 1];
} Album;

a. Given two Song structures s1 and s2, are there any problems with assigning one structure to another? Is
deep copying taking place during the assignment of these two structures?
b. Define a function that initializes a Song using a duration and a string provided. The function will make a
copy of the string parameter.
c. Define a function that will initialize an Album structure based on an array of Songs provided as parameter.
The function will create a dynamically-allocated array of Songs and will initialize each entry with a copy of
the corresponding song in the parameter array. Feel free to add to the function any parameters you
understand are needed.



+ Show Spoiler +

a.) is there a problem in that when everything is copied, the pointers are copied, which could lead to problems, since we can't independently change the songs in one album without changing the songs in the other?

b.)


Song init_song(int d, char *s) {
Song song;
strcopy(song.title, s);
song.duration = d;
return song;
}

//eh... this easy?


c.)

Album init_album(Song *songs) {
Album album;
album.album_name = "they didn't say anything about this";

//I don't know how to assign the songs.
//I don't even know how to tell when I have hit the last song. I mean I go through them with pointer //incrementation, right? But how do I know when I am past the last song? Does the pointer become //null?


thanks
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-28 22:17:20
March 28 2017 21:40 GMT
#17273
--- Nuked ---
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-28 21:56:48
March 28 2017 21:54 GMT
#17274
Nesserev, first, thank you for the comprehensive review of my code.

Quick question - what is the actual purpose of casting malloc? Isn't it just a chunk of memory?

People seem to be arguing about it here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/605845/do-i-cast-the-result-of-malloc

But I don't understand why a chunk of memory needs a type anyways! Isn't it getting it's type by being assigned to something?

edit: I guess the malloc function returns a pointer. so me calling it "just a chunk of memory" is clearly incorrect.
Biolunar
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany224 Posts
March 28 2017 21:58 GMT
#17275
Casting the return value of malloc is a bad idea. void* will be implicitly converted into any other pointer type, so don’t cast it.
What is best? To crush the Zerg, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the Protoss.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-28 22:21:37
March 28 2017 22:14 GMT
#17276
--- Nuked ---
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 28 2017 22:21 GMT
#17277
While I have got you guys, could you take a look at the 4th spoiler? I feel more confident since I was in the ballpark on the first one, but I am really unsure what to do for this question.
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
March 28 2017 22:28 GMT
#17278
On March 29 2017 06:58 Biolunar wrote:
Casting the return value of malloc is a bad idea. void* will be implicitly converted into any other pointer type, so don’t cast it.


I've always seen casting malloc as part of the coding standard. While pointless it is a sanity check.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-28 23:47:35
March 28 2017 23:38 GMT
#17279
--- Nuked ---
TMG26
Profile Joined July 2012
Portugal2017 Posts
March 29 2017 14:02 GMT
#17280
On March 29 2017 07:28 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2017 06:58 Biolunar wrote:
Casting the return value of malloc is a bad idea. void* will be implicitly converted into any other pointer type, so don’t cast it.


I've always seen casting malloc as part of the coding standard. While pointless it is a sanity check.


It's also recommended in older C standards.
Supporter of the situational Blink Dagger on Storm.
Prev 1 862 863 864 865 866 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 942
WardiTV463
OGKoka 182
Rex131
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko387
mouzHeroMarine 291
OGKoka 214
Rex 131
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2551
Horang2 1420
Larva 1231
EffOrt 819
BeSt 625
Shuttle 598
Soma 508
Mini 296
Hyuk 289
Stork 191
[ Show more ]
ZerO 184
Light 181
Rush 140
Zeus 128
ggaemo 122
Killer 84
Barracks 79
Hyun 78
Bale 35
Shinee 34
ToSsGirL 30
sorry 26
Yoon 24
Mong 23
PianO 18
Aegong 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
soO 15
Sacsri 15
Sexy 11
zelot 11
Noble 8
HiyA 7
Icarus 1
Dota 2
Dendi1583
BananaSlamJamma194
League of Legends
KnowMe35
Counter-Strike
byalli628
x6flipin378
Other Games
singsing2169
olofmeister1404
B2W.Neo291
crisheroes264
XaKoH 247
Sick239
Pyrionflax151
ArmadaUGS82
hiko53
Mew2King48
ZerO(Twitch)3
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream445
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH308
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1992
Other Games
• WagamamaTV217
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.