• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:54
CEST 18:54
KST 01:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8376 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 766

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 764 765 766 767 768 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 17:25:19
September 23 2016 17:23 GMT
#15301
Thats a constructor which creates an instance of 'class' and initializes 'variable' with whatever value it was passed in the constructor call.

rereading im not sure what your qeustion is, but if you're wondering, that will compile and work correctly. In fact, its a common style.
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 17:53:26
September 23 2016 17:25 GMT
#15302
On September 24 2016 02:21 travis wrote:
What happens if my class has a variable:

class {

int variable;

//and then the constructor takes a parameter with the same variable name and does this:

class(int variable){

this.variable = variable;


It sets the field in the class to value of the parameter passed to the method. You're calling this.variable to specify that you want the variable in a different scope than the method. The variable without this declaration is assumed to be in the method scope.

** I'll try to go a bit deeper and explain this better:

public class Box {

private int id;
private String name;

private static int boxId;

static {
boxId = 0;
}

public Box(String name) {
id = Box.getBoxId();
this.name = name;
}

public static int getBoxId() {
int ret = Box.boxId;
boxId++;
return ret;
}

public void setId(int id) {
this.id = id;
}
}


So given the previous bit of code, I have a class with a couple fields. In the constructor for my box object, I have a variable called id. There is not an id variable in the scope of the constructor so its assumed that I am referencing the id field of the object. In the setId method you'll notice that I have a parameter called id so I call this.id to specify to the compiler that I want the id variable in this objects scope instead of the method.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 23 2016 17:34 GMT
#15303
I guess my question was kind of like

when I do this.variable = variable;

how does it know that I am talking about the parameter that was passed, or if I was talking about the uninitialized variable.

I guess the answer is, "it just does" ?

(so mainly I was making sure this does in fact work)
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
September 23 2016 17:41 GMT
#15304
On September 24 2016 02:34 travis wrote:
I guess my question was kind of like

when I do this.variable = variable;

how does it know that I am talking about the parameter that was passed, or if I was talking about the uninitialized variable.

I guess the answer is, "it just does" ?

(so mainly I was making sure this does in fact work)

It's not "it just does". It's about scope, as the answer explained. If you don't understand scopes, it's something you have to read up on. It's a very important part of almost all programming languages.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 23 2016 17:48 GMT
#15305
ok, I didn't answer the question in a way that really gets to the root of what I am wondering about, since I used the this keyword


I understand scope. I don't think my question is about scope

if this was my program

public class myclass {

int number = 7;
int number2;

myclass(int number){

this.number2 = number;

}


then what happens
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
September 23 2016 17:52 GMT
#15306
I edited my previous post with a better explanation of scope if that helps.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 17:57:37
September 23 2016 17:54 GMT
#15307
On September 24 2016 02:34 travis wrote:
I guess my question was kind of like

when I do this.variable = variable;

how does it know that I am talking about the parameter that was passed, or if I was talking about the uninitialized variable.

I guess the answer is, "it just does" ?

(so mainly I was making sure this does in fact work)

The field "variable" is in object scope, the constructor parameter "variable" is in method scope. Relative to each other, the field is in the outer scope and the parameter is in the inner scope (think Matryoshka doll). Variables with the same name in an inner scope "hide" or "shadow" variables in outer scopes. So whenever you write just "variable", you will use the one closest to your current scope. That's the parameter if you're inside the constructor. If you write "this.variable", it will always look for a variable at object scope. This allows you to access the otherwise hidden field.

Remember that part recently where we couldn't find the reason for the null reference exception and then it turned out you just had to delete the type declaration "ArrayList<FoundTerm>"? That was exactly because with the type in front of the variable name you were declaring a new variable that hid one with the same name at object scope that you actually wanted to use instead.

I'm not a big fan of using hiding like that in constructors because it can introduce hard to spot errors. In some languages it is common practice to prefix variables at object scope, for example with an "m" (often in C++) or an underscore (C#). That way you can still use the plain name for stuff at the method scope, most commonly in the constructor.

EDIT: I wrote "class scope" before when I think it should actually be "object scope". Class scope should be static stuff only, while object scope is variables that are unique to each instance of a class.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
September 23 2016 18:01 GMT
#15308
On September 24 2016 02:48 travis wrote:
ok, I didn't answer the question in a way that really gets to the root of what I am wondering about, since I used the this keyword


I understand scope. I don't think my question is about scope

if this was my program

public class myclass {

int number = 7;
int number2;

myclass(int number){

this.number2 = number;

}


then what happens


You get scolded for using horrid syntax, and told to use proper builder patterns instead. But it's about the order of variable assignment. It works as you'd expect. Upon calling the constructor, the first act is to call the super constructor. If you don't do this explicitly, it is done implicitly. This creates the object you are constructing, and initializes your global variables. After that it runs your constructor, and changes the value of variable "number2" to the parameter you passed.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 23 2016 18:03 GMT
#15309
Okay thanks all, so I guess it is a scope issue

and that the lesson is that when variables have the same name, the more local variable takes precedence?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 19:52:27
September 23 2016 19:51 GMT
#15310
On September 24 2016 03:03 travis wrote:
Okay thanks all, so I guess it is a scope issue

and that the lesson is that when variables have the same name, the more local variable takes precedence?


A common mistake I see people make (example is from PHP):


$i = 7;

foreach ($somevar as $i) {
// do stuff
// $i declared before loop is overriden with each iteration
}

// $i is now whatever the last element of the iterable $somevar was


Also, I don't think you should be declaring classes within classes...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 19:59:37
September 23 2016 19:59 GMT
#15311
On September 24 2016 03:03 travis wrote:
Okay thanks all, so I guess it is a scope issue

and that the lesson is that when variables have the same name, the more local variable takes precedence?


I would say it depends on the language? I wouldn't say "more local" though, I think "closest in scope" is clearer, but maybe "more local" is easier to understand.

See if these make sense to you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2804880/in-c-what-is-the-scope-resolution-order-of-precedence-for-shadowed-variab

Behind the scenes, a compiler (preprocessor? one of those steps) (usually?) mangles the name of (all?) variables so it doesn't actually see your variable name. They then use the language rules to deduce which ones to call.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22067562/how-c-handles-the-same-variable-name-along-different-scopes
There is no one like you in the universe.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
September 23 2016 22:23 GMT
#15312
On September 24 2016 04:51 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2016 03:03 travis wrote:
Okay thanks all, so I guess it is a scope issue

and that the lesson is that when variables have the same name, the more local variable takes precedence?


A common mistake I see people make (example is from PHP):


$i = 7;

foreach ($somevar as $i) {
// do stuff
// $i declared before loop is overriden with each iteration
}

// $i is now whatever the last element of the iterable $somevar was


Also, I don't think you should be declaring classes within classes...

Not necessarily wrong to declare nested classes. I agree that it's fairly advanced, though, and as a beginner you are better off not doing that.
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 23:09:09
September 23 2016 23:07 GMT
#15313
On September 24 2016 02:54 spinesheath wrote:
I'm not a big fan of using hiding like that in constructors because it can introduce hard to spot errors. In some languages it is common practice to prefix variables at object scope, for example with an "m" (often in C++) or an underscore (C#). That way you can still use the plain name for stuff at the method scope, most commonly in the constructor.

Although I am not a big fan of naming parameters the same as fields either, it must be noted that todays IDE's are more than capable of detecting these kinds of bugs and generating a warning. I know for a fact that Eclipse will warn you if you assign a parameter to itself.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
September 23 2016 23:08 GMT
#15314
On September 24 2016 08:07 RoomOfMush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2016 02:54 spinesheath wrote:
I'm not a big fan of using hiding like that in constructors because it can introduce hard to spot errors. In some languages it is common practice to prefix variables at object scope, for example with an "m" (often in C++) or an underscore (C#). That way you can still use the plain name for stuff at the method scope, most commonly in the constructor.

Although I am not a big fan of naming parameters equal to fields either, it must be noted that todays IDE's are more than capable of detecting these kinds of bugs and generating a warning. I know for a fact that Eclipse will warn you if you assign a parameter to itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the issue is more the readability of the code, not the compilability. If it's not immediately clear which of two variables is being referenced, then time is wasted on the main work of coding (which is reading).
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-23 23:11:51
September 23 2016 23:10 GMT
#15315
On September 24 2016 08:08 Birdie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2016 08:07 RoomOfMush wrote:
On September 24 2016 02:54 spinesheath wrote:
I'm not a big fan of using hiding like that in constructors because it can introduce hard to spot errors. In some languages it is common practice to prefix variables at object scope, for example with an "m" (often in C++) or an underscore (C#). That way you can still use the plain name for stuff at the method scope, most commonly in the constructor.

Although I am not a big fan of naming parameters equal to fields either, it must be noted that todays IDE's are more than capable of detecting these kinds of bugs and generating a warning. I know for a fact that Eclipse will warn you if you assign a parameter to itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the issue is more the readability of the code, not the compilability. If it's not immediately clear which of two variables is being referenced, then time is wasted on the main work of coding (which is reading).

Thats a matter of personal taste, but spinesheath was explicitly talking about "hard to spot errors" and I assume he ment missing the "this" operator and assigning a parameter to itself.

But todays IDE's also have something for your particular problem: Syntax highlighting. Just tell your IDE to highlight fields in a different color to parameters and it will become quite obvious which one is being used.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
September 24 2016 08:03 GMT
#15316
You can just as well read from or write to a variable in inner scope thinking you're working with a field. That doesn't have to involve any self assignment. Obviously IDEs can show a warning for that too, but if you use shadowing in your constructors regularly, then all your constructors will be littered with these warnings. So I suppose that most people who do that have the warning disabled.

Syntax highlighting is not part of your codebase. So if you ever work with others, you better not rely on that.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
September 24 2016 08:38 GMT
#15317
On September 24 2016 17:03 spinesheath wrote:
You can just as well read from or write to a variable in inner scope thinking you're working with a field. That doesn't have to involve any self assignment. Obviously IDEs can show a warning for that too, but if you use shadowing in your constructors regularly, then all your constructors will be littered with these warnings. So I suppose that most people who do that have the warning disabled.

Syntax highlighting is not part of your codebase. So if you ever work with others, you better not rely on that.

Huh? That's not when it shows a warning.


int fizz, bar;

public void foo(int bar) {
this.bar = bar; //fine, no warning
bar = bar; //warning (assigning bar to itself)
this.fizz = fizz; //warning (fizz is only in the outer scope, thus self assignment again.)
}
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
September 24 2016 09:03 GMT
#15318

int fizz, bar;

public void foo(int bar) { // this is where it could show a warning that bar is shadowing this.bar

int fizz; // this is where it could show a warning that fizz is shadowing this.fizz

// ... enough code to make you forget the line above ...

fizz = 5; // here you could mean to assign to this.fizz, introducing a bug

// and if we have some slightly more complex code with say loops, you might not even get a
// "value assigned to variable is never used" warning
}

If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18446 Posts
September 24 2016 09:22 GMT
#15319
On September 24 2016 18:03 spinesheath wrote:

int fizz, bar;

public void foo(int bar) { // this is where it could show a warning that bar is shadowing this.bar

int fizz; // this is where it could show a warning that fizz is shadowing this.fizz

// ... enough code to make you forget the line above ...

fizz = 5; // here you could mean to assign to this.fizz, introducing a bug

// and if we have some slightly more complex code with say loops, you might not even get a
// "value assigned to variable is never used" warning
}


Yeah, ok. That's pretty bad. Anybody using shadowing like that is asking for it, though

I mean, I'm not a fan of shadowing in general and never use it, except in the constructor to initialize fields. And that goes at the bottom of the constructor, so any operations you do before just setting the field aren't affected b the potential bugs you describe.
Prillan
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden350 Posts
September 24 2016 10:55 GMT
#15320
On September 24 2016 18:03 spinesheath wrote:

int fizz, bar;

public void foo(int bar) { // this is where it could show a warning that bar is shadowing this.bar

int fizz; // this is where it could show a warning that fizz is shadowing this.fizz

// ... enough code to make you forget the line above ...

fizz = 5; // here you could mean to assign to this.fizz, introducing a bug

// and if we have some slightly more complex code with say loops, you might not even get a
// "value assigned to variable is never used" warning
}


One reason why I like the explicit self in python.


def method(self, bar):
... code here ...
TheBB's sidekick, aligulac.com | "Reality is frequently inaccurate." - Douglas Adams
Prev 1 764 765 766 767 768 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 63
Codebar 35
UpATreeSC 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1243
EffOrt 1192
Mini 708
Soma 625
actioN 468
Rush 438
Light 326
Larva 311
BeSt 223
Snow 153
[ Show more ]
hero 129
firebathero 111
Dewaltoss 111
Zeus 67
Liquid`Ret 58
Barracks 58
Sexy 30
Shine 27
JYJ 26
soO 26
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 24
Trap 23
Bale 23
Rock 11
zelot 11
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8273
qojqva2097
Dendi895
420jenkins174
Counter-Strike
Fnx 797
pashabiceps705
x6flipin587
ceh9384
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5663
Grubby3969
Liquid`Hasu353
Other Games
Beastyqt545
byalli428
B2W.Neo422
Khaldor188
DeMusliM170
Liquid`VortiX146
ArmadaUGS142
KnowMe140
BRAT_OK 86
C9.Mang074
TKL 61
Trikslyr59
Railgan8
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV268
BasetradeTV210
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH246
• StrangeGG 71
• mYiSmile125
• Reevou 3
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 14
• FirePhoenix11
• 80smullet 6
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV416
League of Legends
• Nemesis2887
• TFBlade851
Other Games
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 6m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 6m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.