• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:08
CEST 15:08
KST 22:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11895 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 155

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 153 154 155 156 157 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
August 08 2012 15:10 GMT
#3081
On August 08 2012 21:17 tofucake wrote:
w2schools is awful
don't use it


What would you recommend for learning Javascript and jQuery? I already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS - enough to make basic homepages from scratch.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
Gnosis
Profile Joined December 2008
Scotland912 Posts
August 08 2012 15:13 GMT
#3082
On August 09 2012 00:10 EscPlan9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 21:17 tofucake wrote:
w2schools is awful
don't use it


What would you recommend for learning Javascript and jQuery? I already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS - enough to make basic homepages from scratch.


Code year is a decent enough introduction: http://codeyear.com/

Of course, one can always read through the tomes that are O'Reilly books / manuals.
"Reason is flawless, de jure, but reasoners are not, de facto." – Peter Kreeft
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-08 15:18:16
August 08 2012 15:18 GMT
#3083
On August 09 2012 00:10 EscPlan9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 21:17 tofucake wrote:
w2schools is awful
don't use it


What would you recommend for learning Javascript and jQuery? I already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS - enough to make basic homepages from scratch.

jQuery specifically, use jquery.com
JavaScript, very basically, http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/bridge/1998/res/javascript/javascript-tutorial.html

StackOverflow is awesome for questions
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-08 16:26:05
August 08 2012 16:24 GMT
#3084
On August 08 2012 13:35 weishime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 11:13 ShoCkeyy wrote:
Anybody know anything about parallax scrolling and setting heights to certain "pages"?


If you mean web, yeah. There are a few libraries for that. A nice one is Stellar.js.


Yea, I know about those, but I wrote out a custom parallax scrolling script, only thing is, now I'm stuck. I need some help on a height issue, or more like a scrolling issue. Since parallax scrolling is all in one page with multiple "pages" (Divs), I'm trying to figure out how to set a height to one of the divs. I tried doing an overflow-y: scroll; with height at 100% (Only way it would scroll, tried sitting a height like 500px, but that doesn't work) and it scrolls, but it doesn't scroll the whole way because my container is set to a different height.

Also a cool place to learn is CodeAcademy. Very interactive learning for those starting.
Life?
nakam
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden245 Posts
August 08 2012 16:41 GMT
#3085
On August 09 2012 00:18 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2012 00:10 EscPlan9 wrote:
On August 08 2012 21:17 tofucake wrote:
w2schools is awful
don't use it


What would you recommend for learning Javascript and jQuery? I already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS - enough to make basic homepages from scratch.

jQuery specifically, use jquery.com
JavaScript, very basically, http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/bridge/1998/res/javascript/javascript-tutorial.html

StackOverflow is awesome for questions

Start with JavaScript and then just read the jQuery documentation. jQuery is not that hard if you know some JS and their documentation is among the best.
TL Local Timezone Script - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=277156
supereddie
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands151 Posts
August 08 2012 17:08 GMT
#3086
On August 06 2012 17:01 Craton wrote:
Another question using the same database from before.

In one of my views I'd like to have a column denoting "streaks," where a streak is defined consecutive wins or losses. What I'd like to do is basically take my list if games, sort it by MHID descending, and then have some kind of SQL that will say there have been X many of this result in a row.

MHID are entered in such a way that a higher number denotes a more recent game, but may not be consecutive.

My thought was that I could achieve this by some kind of CONNECT BY logic, but I can't figure it out (I seemingly keep getting infinite loops with the logic I've tried).

I also tried LEAD and LAG but couldn't quite get there.

End result would look something like this:

MHID -- RESULT -- STREAK
9 -- LOSS -- 1
8 -- WIN -- 3
6 -- WIN -- 2
1 -- WIN -- 1

I am unfamiliar with Oracle SQL, but from what I've read you may be able to do it with the MODEL-clause
"Do not try to make difficult things possible, but make simple things simple." - David Platt on Software Design
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
August 08 2012 19:47 GMT
#3087
On August 09 2012 00:13 Gnosis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2012 00:10 EscPlan9 wrote:
On August 08 2012 21:17 tofucake wrote:
w2schools is awful
don't use it


What would you recommend for learning Javascript and jQuery? I already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS - enough to make basic homepages from scratch.


Code year is a decent enough introduction: http://codeyear.com/

Of course, one can always read through the tomes that are O'Reilly books / manuals.


Codeyear looks really good for Javascript (and more)! Thanks! I really like how they have the lessons organized to build incrementally on past ones.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
Olsson
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden931 Posts
August 08 2012 20:00 GMT
#3088
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.
Naniwa <3
green.at
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Austria1459 Posts
August 08 2012 20:10 GMT
#3089
On August 09 2012 05:00 Olsson wrote:
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.


yeah, but that is not programming. C/C++ is generally a nice startingpoint. C#/Java if you like to see results a bit faster. I am no expert but these are quite common. (all personal oppinion, some people treat programming languages like religion)
Inputting special characters into chat should no longer cause the game to crash.
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
August 08 2012 20:30 GMT
#3090
On August 09 2012 05:00 Olsson wrote:
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.


It depends what you want to get out of it. For simplicity and just getting the hang of the fundamentals of programming such as variables, scope, controls and loops, maybe start with C# or Python. I first learned with Java and that was okay. If you're okay with a much steeper learning curve, start with C then move to other languages. Check some of the quality posts mentioned in the OP that describes this recommendation - one firmly recommended starting with C since you'll then have no trouble moving onto other languages afterwards.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
August 08 2012 20:40 GMT
#3091
On August 09 2012 05:00 Olsson wrote:
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.


HTML & CSS are a lot more complex than people give it credit for. I have a colleague that writes websites for our company since 15 years and he still doesn't understand it.


As for starting languages, it really depends on what you want to do.

Websites: PHP or Server Side Javascript (node.js). PHP is one hell of a messy language but it's the current standard and in the industry there isn't really a widespread alternative.
Applications: C# or Java (i prefer C#)
Games: Huge topic and any language will work, though i would just recommend starting with some 2D C# Framework and go from there.

I wouldn't recommend starting with C/C++ since while the memory management and such are important to learn at some point, at the beginning they just distract from the goal of having fun while learning.
Leafty
Profile Joined July 2012
France84 Posts
August 08 2012 21:05 GMT
#3092
On August 09 2012 05:40 Morfildur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2012 05:00 Olsson wrote:
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.


HTML & CSS are a lot more complex than people give it credit for. I have a colleague that writes websites for our company since 15 years and he still doesn't understand it.


As for starting languages, it really depends on what you want to do.

Websites: PHP or Server Side Javascript (node.js). PHP is one hell of a messy language but it's the current standard and in the industry there isn't really a widespread alternative.
Applications: C# or Java (i prefer C#)
Games: Huge topic and any language will work, though i would just recommend starting with some 2D C# Framework and go from there.

I wouldn't recommend starting with C/C++ since while the memory management and such are important to learn at some point, at the beginning they just distract from the goal of having fun while learning.


I wouldn't recommend starting with node.js, the design of I/O operations requires you to have some experience with I/O in other languages, synchronicity and asynchronicity, threading (as a more intuitive way of doing multiple things at the same time), etc. Sure programming with node.js is really fun but I don't think you can do it properly without some programming background.
thedz
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States217 Posts
August 08 2012 22:34 GMT
#3093
Websites: PHP or Server Side Javascript (node.js). PHP is one hell of a messy language but it's the current standard and in the industry there isn't really a widespread alternative.


Wait, what? Python and Ruby are both pretty widespread in the web dev industry, along with Java in more enterprisey companies.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
August 08 2012 22:35 GMT
#3094
mmhhhmmm

but both combined aren't anywhere near as pervasive as PHP
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
thedz
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States217 Posts
August 08 2012 23:38 GMT
#3095
On August 09 2012 07:35 tofucake wrote:
mmhhhmmm

but both combined aren't anywhere near as pervasive as PHP


Non PHP positions are pervasive enough that adoption rate of PHP Is not a significant factor, IMO.

In the web dev segment I'm most familiar with (startups, bay area tech companies, and beltway federal contracting), PHP isn't really a requirement or anywhere near standard.

Plus, as a language, PHP is a pretty lackluster learning tool. Python or Ruby makes learning PHP easier. I can't say the same the other way around.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
August 09 2012 00:23 GMT
#3096
Not saying PHP is easy to learn (it's not), just that it's
1. Very pervasive
2. Very forgiving to beginners
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
August 09 2012 00:31 GMT
#3097
On August 09 2012 05:00 Olsson wrote:
What programming languages are best to start with? I read abit about HTML and CSS but that's what I know abit of so far. Though I bet you could learn HTML within an hour, atleast what's on w3schools.

What do you want to do. Web programming?
thedz
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States217 Posts
August 09 2012 02:49 GMT
#3098
On August 09 2012 09:23 tofucake wrote:
Not saying PHP is easy to learn (it's not), just that it's
1. Very pervasive
2. Very forgiving to beginners


I agree that its pervasive and forgiving, but for a first language, I think it tends to set some very bad habits. Not because of the language itself (its possible to write good, easily maintainable PHP code), but because most example of PHP you see in the wild are pretty horrible. Its similar to why I don't recommend Perl as a first language if someone has a choice. Obviously, if you need to learn PHP right this second, then you need to learn it and it doesn't matter.

But if there's a chance to choose which language to learn first, I gravitate towards Python (and Ruby in a slightly lesser degree). Python as a language is relatively simple to understand, with a minimalistic syntax and a culture where idiomatic Python eschews complicated code. It has most of the concepts that one will need to understand other languages, and is not completely divorced from web development (which I think the original poster was leaning towards with the mention of HTML and CSS) like other good first languages.
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
August 09 2012 04:36 GMT
#3099
HTML/CSS is pretty crazy. It's probably easy to learn, but to actually understand it, it's really difficult, I've been doing Web Development for over eight years already and I still mess up on my HTML/CSS if I decide to do complicated things such as my parallax scrolling T_T. I still haven't figured out a answer to my problem. :\
Life?
weishime
Profile Joined August 2011
65 Posts
August 09 2012 08:21 GMT
#3100
On August 09 2012 01:24 ShoCkeyy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 13:35 weishime wrote:
On August 08 2012 11:13 ShoCkeyy wrote:
Anybody know anything about parallax scrolling and setting heights to certain "pages"?


If you mean web, yeah. There are a few libraries for that. A nice one is Stellar.js.


Yea, I know about those, but I wrote out a custom parallax scrolling script, only thing is, now I'm stuck. I need some help on a height issue, or more like a scrolling issue. Since parallax scrolling is all in one page with multiple "pages" (Divs), I'm trying to figure out how to set a height to one of the divs. I tried doing an overflow-y: scroll; with height at 100% (Only way it would scroll, tried sitting a height like 500px, but that doesn't work) and it scrolls, but it doesn't scroll the whole way because my container is set to a different height.

Also a cool place to learn is CodeAcademy. Very interactive learning for those starting.


Don't really understand the problem you're descibing.

Give this a look, I know it features a library you don't want to use but it is a good example to compare against and see how you are doing things differently.

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/complete-websites/create-a-parallax-scrolling-website-using-stellar-js/
Prev 1 153 154 155 156 157 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 232
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings113
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko348
SHIN 232
ProTech142
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40831
Bisu 2100
Shuttle 1916
Hyuk 1679
Larva 415
EffOrt 412
Soma 395
Mini 352
ZerO 286
firebathero 226
[ Show more ]
Last 122
Leta 87
hero 82
Zeus 72
Pusan 62
Killer 48
Hm[arnc] 47
Hyun 47
Sexy 45
Trap 45
Bale 40
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 27
PianO 25
zelot 23
sorry 17
yabsab 11
JulyZerg 10
Noble 10
Sacsri 7
Icarus 6
Rock 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4550
qojqva1543
Dendi952
XcaliburYe355
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor794
crisheroes679
Liquid`Hasu9
Other Games
gofns39910
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1184
Happy324
DeMusliM259
Livibee137
Mew2King99
Liquid`VortiX63
ArmadaUGS56
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream139
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 72
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9843
League of Legends
• Jankos1674
Other Games
• WagamamaTV222
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 53m
INu's Battles
22h 53m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.