• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:12
CEST 10:12
KST 17:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8313 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 51

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 140 Next
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-07 06:13:53
September 07 2011 06:12 GMT
#1001

Ng5 September 07 2011 14:29. Posts 400 PM Profile Quote #
Check this out in the meantime, it's worth it.

Puzzle
.




Solved it . Looks like something in the Pin section of 1001 tactics by Reinfeld 8)
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-07 19:03:43
September 07 2011 18:48 GMT
#1002
+ Show Spoiler +
I am glad we didnt 0-0 . I believe cxd is stronger personally, but I could be wrong about that as well . One thing though about cxd4 is for sure; These lines are very well known, and since database searching is allowed, he will be playing the most successful, and or agressive moves from this position, until at some point he will spring a novelty on us trying to suprise us I'd wager.
This is why I wanted to play something a little less known, most of these positions we're approaching are hundreds of years old, and exhausted in practice. As a result there will be no shortage of positional examples for him to examine, and look for improvements. I Hope we can keep up in this line theory-wise once he deviates .
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:20:12
September 08 2011 02:19 GMT
#1003
Move posted.

Round 8 begins.

Cheers!
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 08 2011 02:36 GMT
#1004
OK, pretty much what we expected. I vote 8. Nbd2 for the reasons given in this post.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
hype[NZ]
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Japan412 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:49:31
September 08 2011 02:40 GMT
#1005
I agree

8.Nbd2

+ Show Spoiler +
edit: to elaborate why 8.Nbd2 is superior to 8.Bd2:

Basically what we should aim to do is maintain the pair of bishops, which can be beneficial to us in the endgame. Hence we shouldn't allow black to trade his knight on e4 for our bishop.
Picklesicle
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States64 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 02:53:28
September 08 2011 02:52 GMT
#1006
On September 08 2011 11:36 qrs wrote:
OK, pretty much what we expected. I vote 8. Nbd2 for the reasons given in this post.


For all the same reasons as qrs (and hypeNZ), I also vote

8. Nbd2

To restate:
+ Show Spoiler +
Primarily because I support trying to hold on to our bishop pair unless there's a definite advantage to trading one away. This move could easily transpose into 8. Bd2 but that isn't a certainty.
I also agree with qrs re. our dark bishop. It could be argued that it is currently not active (I disagree), but it is hardly bad, and the influence it has been applying down the c1-h6 diagonal has been quite important for the last couple of moves.
However, I do think the Black knight on e4 is irritating and active. e4 is not an outpost, nor does it look to become one any time soon, but it does restrict our space within our own pawn structure. If we must trade (and I think after 7. cxd Bb4+ we must at least offer one), then let's trade off that knight for one of our own then get back to the plan. I stated what I thought the plan was earlier as this:

The goal here, as I understand it, is to retain the initiative and keep Black underdeveloped for a long as possible while mounting a strong kingside attack. Black's lack of queenside development will mean that he has no good way to defend and will either lose in the midgame or be forced to make so many concessions that at worst, material will equalize for the endgame with us in possession of spacial control and at best we'll just have an all-round better endgame.


Thoughts?
itsjustatank
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Hong Kong9179 Posts
September 08 2011 03:01 GMT
#1007
My first instinct here is to play 8. Bd2, but a lot of good analysis has already been done in favor of 8. Nbd2.

I'll vote 8. Nbd2 for now.
Photographer"nosotros estamos backamos" - setsuko
BaronFel
Profile Joined July 2009
United States155 Posts
September 08 2011 03:02 GMT
#1008
8. Nbd2

+ Show Spoiler +
Seems to be a safe response, but I'd be willing to change to something else if anyone has any ideas.
Jumbled
Profile Joined September 2010
1543 Posts
September 08 2011 03:03 GMT
#1009
8. Nbd2
itsjustatank
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Hong Kong9179 Posts
September 08 2011 03:06 GMT
#1010
On September 08 2011 12:03 Jumbled wrote:
8. Nbd2


Happy thousandth post? :D
Photographer"nosotros estamos backamos" - setsuko
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 08 2011 03:07 GMT
#1011
On September 08 2011 11:52 Picklesicle wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
...I do think the Black knight on e4 is irritating and active. e4 is not an outpost, nor does it look to become one any time soon, but it does restrict our space within our own pawn structure. If we must trade (and I think after 7. cxd Bb4+ we must at least offer one), then let's trade off that knight for one of our own then get back to the plan.
To clarify what I meant about that Knight: + Show Spoiler +
I agree that from e4 Black's Knight is irritating and active; the reason I called it "much less dangerous than it appears at first glance" is simply that we can easily force Black to move it or exchange it.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Picklesicle
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States64 Posts
September 08 2011 03:09 GMT
#1012
On September 08 2011 12:07 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2011 11:52 Picklesicle wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
...I do think the Black knight on e4 is irritating and active. e4 is not an outpost, nor does it look to become one any time soon, but it does restrict our space within our own pawn structure. If we must trade (and I think after 7. cxd Bb4+ we must at least offer one), then let's trade off that knight for one of our own then get back to the plan.
To clarify what I meant about that Knight: + Show Spoiler +
I agree that from e4 Black's Knight is irritating and active; the reason I called it "much less dangerous than it appears at first glance" is simply that we can easily force Black to move it or exchange it.


We are on the same page.

+ Show Spoiler +
You, Knight, OUT!
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 04:17:40
September 08 2011 04:07 GMT
#1013
+ Show Spoiler +
Was looking at Nd2(which is most likely goingt o be my vote) and I got worried all of a sudden about this line . Bb4 nd2 nxd4 nxd4 qh4 .
Edit ; But,now I think I see the defense, someone correct me if I am wrong here, but if he tries this I believe white gets a winning position from this defense. Bb4 nd2 nxd4 nxd4 qh4 0-0 nxd2 nf5!? qg5 and bd3. Winning for white as the knight is trapped . Any one see anything wrong with this ? Can the knight get out, looks trapped to me . Gonna look at it a little longer then vote
P.S. There are some interesting bd2 lines as well .
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
September 08 2011 04:08 GMT
#1014
8. Nbd2
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 08 2011 04:29 GMT
#1015
On September 08 2011 13:07 MrProphylactic wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Was looking at Nd2(which is most likely goingt o be my vote) and I got worried all of a sudden about this line . Bb4 nd2 nxd4 nxd4 qh4 .
Edit ; But,now I think I see the defense, someone correct me if I am wrong here, but if he tries this I believe white gets a winning position from this defense. Bb4 nd2 nxd4 nxd4 qh4 0-0 nxd2 nf5!? qg5 and bd3. Winning for white as the knight is trapped . Any one see anything wrong with this ? Can the knight get out, looks trapped to me . Gonna look at it a little longer then vote
P.S. There are some interesting bd2 lines as well .
Well, it looks to me that Black stays even on material if he plays + Show Spoiler +
...Qe4 instead of ...Qg5 in your line
but the position still looks better for us there.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
TNT0677
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5 Posts
September 08 2011 04:55 GMT
#1016
Nbd2
Life's fun, to bad I don't get the joke.
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
September 08 2011 05:20 GMT
#1017
8. Nbd2
mcc
Profile Joined October 2010
Czech Republic4646 Posts
September 08 2011 05:29 GMT
#1018
8.Nbd2
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 08 2011 06:18 GMT
#1019
Votes

8. Nbd2: 10 (qrs, hype[NZ], Picklesickle, itsjustatank, BaronFel, Jumbled, EvilNalu, TNT0677, Babyfactory, mcc)
[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
September 08 2011 06:36 GMT
#1020
100% of the vote is going to the same move before we have even discussed or analyzed the differences? It's a shame, because we have a fantastic novelty in this position.

I vote for 8. Qd2!
+ Show Spoiler +
This is clearly the best move in this position. I keep in touch with a lot of Grandmasters and they all say this is the new uber-modern standard at the highest levels of competition. We give up our queen in exchange for black's minor pieces. After the exchange is over, we will have a minor piece majority, which is more powerful than a single queen, especially with our immobile center. Honestly I think it would be a mistake for black to accept this gambit, because the initiative we gain is too dangerous.


[image loading]
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 766
GuemChi 592
Leta 321
BeSt 217
Soma 176
Hyun 159
firebathero 127
Mong 76
910 51
sSak 38
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
PianO 23
yabsab 21
ZergMaN 19
HiyA 17
Noble 9
Shine 8
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss561
ceh9516
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King413
Other Games
summit1g8228
olofmeister880
JimRising 484
Happy336
KnowMe50
Trikslyr28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick441
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt401
• Jankos293
Other Games
• Shiphtur410
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 48m
Patches Events
7h 48m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.