• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:57
CEST 02:57
KST 09:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8852 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 277

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 275 276 277 278 279 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
April 27 2010 07:25 GMT
#5521
On April 27 2010 16:21 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2010 16:18 triangle wrote:
Should watch Ouran High School Host Club, Berserk, Higashi No Eden, Akagi, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell (ALL OF IT), Clannad, and Minami-ke

I'd subtract Higashi No Eden and add:
Haruhi (absolute must watch)
Haibane renmei (for something more intellectual, I dunno)
Either Code Geass, FMP or TTGL just to include some robots


Higashi No Eden is the single best anime I have ever seen. Why would you pull that from someones list?



Hmm I thought it was kind of bad. It had great animation and an intriguing story with a couple interesting characters but overall in the end.. + Show Spoiler +
The ending was kind of ... meh. Didn't really care that much for the characters themselves either compared to some other shows.
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
April 27 2010 07:25 GMT
#5522
On April 27 2010 16:24 bearbuddy wrote:
Yeah, but being hardcore means like.. watching all of them. He wants to cherry-pick the good ones.

You should pull up an anime ranking list and go through it. Maybe ask us which to omit and stuff.


yeh yeh! like this

maybe "poser" was the word i was looking for...
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 07:30:44
April 27 2010 07:25 GMT
#5523

Higashi No Eden is the single best anime I have ever seen. Why would you pull that from someones list?

Because I thought the only thing special about it was the art.
+ Show Spoiler +
And tbh I didn't really like it at all. No character development + wtf ending
Edit - Yes, I have the 1st movie downloaded but I hear it doesn't really address anything. And the 2nd doesn't exist yet so...

You can be hardcore in different ways... I mean, if you wanted hardcore moe or something I'd be recommending nanoha or something...

I think he meant "hardcore" as in the "watch what's not on american TV" hardcore, but I don't really know.

But yeah, if you want some really deep shows then that list is pretty silly.

If you want to get more into anime you need to find what you like first, which is why I've been trying to recommend a somewhat diverse set of shows that are somewhat short/easy to watch.
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 27 2010 07:27 GMT
#5524
On April 27 2010 16:25 MYM.Testie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2010 16:21 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 27 2010 16:18 triangle wrote:
Should watch Ouran High School Host Club, Berserk, Higashi No Eden, Akagi, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell (ALL OF IT), Clannad, and Minami-ke

I'd subtract Higashi No Eden and add:
Haruhi (absolute must watch)
Haibane renmei (for something more intellectual, I dunno)
Either Code Geass, FMP or TTGL just to include some robots


Higashi No Eden is the single best anime I have ever seen. Why would you pull that from someones list?



Hmm I thought it was kind of bad. It had great animation and an intriguing story with a couple interesting characters but overall in the end.. + Show Spoiler +
The ending was kind of ... meh. Didn't really care that much for the characters themselves either compared to some other shows.



Remember that the anime doesn't finish the series. The two movies do.

I've only seen the first of the two, but it makes for good watching. Also, part of the reason I love eden as much as I do is it's basis covers actual problems in Japan currently. Social commentary is fun.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 07:30 GMT
#5525
i dunno what you want mOnion!

you want to be hip but you also want to be hardcore

;_;

just watch what you like wtf
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Obzy
Profile Joined April 2009
United States525 Posts
April 27 2010 07:31 GMT
#5526
With regards to Higashi no Eden, I'd definitely keep it on a list of "Stuff to watch"; just don't overhype it too much. I watched it as it aired, then rewatched it last week - definitely still good. But if you expect the world to flip upside down after watching it, I'd recommend looking into something else (Or alternatively, learn to walk backwards on your hands while watching it.)
I have nothing to put here. Obzy#1821 on Bnet.
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 07:34:59
April 27 2010 07:34 GMT
#5527
On April 27 2010 16:25 triangle wrote:
Show nested quote +

Higashi No Eden is the single best anime I have ever seen. Why would you pull that from someones list?

Because I thought the only thing special about it was the art.
+ Show Spoiler +
And tbh I didn't really like it at all. No character development + wtf ending


You can be hardcore in different ways... I mean, if you wanted hardcore moe or something I'd be recommending nanoha or something...

I think he meant "hardcore" as in the "watch what's not on american TV" hardcore, but I don't really know.

But yeah, if you want some really deep shows then that list is pretty silly.

If you want to get more into anime you need to find what you like first, which is why I've been trying to recommend a somewhat diverse set of shows that are somewhat short/easy to watch.


TY i appreciate the thought you put into your response ^_^

i'll def be spam watching anime this summer so i'll watch a bunch.

Really i like everything i think (pulling from my only experience) i really REALLY enjoyed how smart the development of Death Note was, how smart the dialogue was and how we got to see the character development of Light and L the whole way thru (ignoring the 2nd half -> the last few episodes)

on the other side of things, i love intense fucking mech battles so Gurren Lagann was a blasty for me, and i really dig the whole "coming of age" thing that Gurren Lagann and FLCL have going on.

so...thats what my brain thinks so far. also i like boobs, so elfen lied was cool and Yoko <3

On April 27 2010 16:30 FragKrag wrote:
i dunno what you want mOnion!

you want to be hip but you also want to be hardcore

;_;

just watch what you like wtf


lol i'm sorry! i'm complicated @_@
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
bearbuddy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3442 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 07:38:34
April 27 2010 07:36 GMT
#5528
On April 27 2010 16:25 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2010 16:24 bearbuddy wrote:
Yeah, but being hardcore means like.. watching all of them. He wants to cherry-pick the good ones.

You should pull up an anime ranking list and go through it. Maybe ask us which to omit and stuff.


yeh yeh! like this

maybe "poser" was the word i was looking for...


Hmm, in that sense, you should shoot for the famous ones that get numerous references. Your initial list, TTGL, death note, FCLC, etc... were based on people talking them, right? If people talk about them, then yeah, you should watch them.

In that sense, you should also be acquainted with certain character archetypes, such as Archer from FS/N to which GAR is made after him, Ayanami Rei with the silent girl, Kira Yamato... for being Jesus <.<, etc...

Really i like everything i think (pulling from my only experience) i really REALLY enjoyed how smart the development of Death Note was, how smart the dialogue was and how we got to see the character development of Light and L the whole way thru (ignoring the 2nd half -> the last few episodes)

on the other side of things, i love intense fucking mech battles so Gurren Lagann was a blasty for me, and i really dig the whole "coming of age" thing that Gurren Lagann and FLCL have going on.

so...thats what my brain thinks so far. also i like boobs


Watch Code Geass, lol.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 07:37 GMT
#5529
Hrm

If you like awesome pew pew battles, get Macross Zero. For awesome battles with swords and killing people, go with Berserk.

If you like the smart dude I would watch stuff like Akagi.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 07:40:18
April 27 2010 07:39 GMT
#5530
The list I'm currently following is

http://www.japanator.com/japanator-s-top-50-anime-of-the-decade-10-to-1-12913.phtml

hopefully all 50 eventually (ofc its more than 50 anime, some of the entries are "works of" so..)

Watch Code Geass, lol.


yeh thats my next project, i keep getting that response lol
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 07:42 GMT
#5531
Definitely watch #3. Those films are amazing.

lol K-On #2, aers gonna murder them

Stand Alone Complex both seasons were fucking awesome. Definitely should watch those.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
April 27 2010 07:43 GMT
#5532
On April 27 2010 16:42 FragKrag wrote:
Definitely watch #3. Those films are amazing.

lol K-On #2, aers gonna murder them

Stand Alone Complex both seasons were fucking awesome. Definitely should watch those.


kewl, good to know the list is solid ^_^
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
bearbuddy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3442 Posts
April 27 2010 07:46 GMT
#5533
Yeah... I'm not a big fan of that list.

K-On is a moe-blob show. I apologize to all whom I've offended just now.
Azumanga Daioh is subpar at best
and Makoto Shinkai makes a bunch of works about the first love of a teenager.

hmm...

Yeah, don't like that list <.<
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 07:49 GMT
#5534
I didn't like a single one of the shows from 20-11...

40-31 seems pretty solid though
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
April 27 2010 07:53 GMT
#5535
i recommend school days, must watch imo

but yeah code geass sounds exactly like what you're looking for
the courage to be a lazy bum
dronebabo
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
10866 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 07:54:46
April 27 2010 07:54 GMT
#5536
--- Nuked ---
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 08:00:00
April 27 2010 07:57 GMT
#5537
I liked Azumanga Daioh, but I see why a lot of people wouldn't...

Actually, I really like Makoto Shinkai's stuff too, but then again I'll like almost anything if it's pretty enough.

A far better resource than fixed lists (imo) is MyAnimeList. Once you have an idea of what you like it's pretty easy to find similar stuff there (disclaimer: ignore MAL rankings, they don't mean much. Focus on reviews and stuff like that.)

From what you've said, it sounds like you'd really like Code Geass, so I'd watch that.

edit- AND WATCH HARUHI (mandatory Haruhi fanboy yell)

edit2: way to not put me down FragKrag :p
http://myanimelist.net/profile/waterfall
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 07:58 GMT
#5538
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mystlord
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/FragKrag
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shauni
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
April 27 2010 08:14 GMT
#5539
On April 27 2010 15:30 mOnion wrote:
Alright so I'm a long time anime fan, trying to be more hardcore and hip and such.

I'm trying to watch a lot of the big hit titles, get them out of the way (excluding shounen's ofc) like elfen lied, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, death note etc.

The thing is there are so FUCKING many anime out there, I dont know where to start @_@

My only reference is video games. Are anime constantly being developed and put out like video games? and some turn out good, some bad, some surprisingly good, and others dissapointments?

I'm lost here T_T need direction.

Just watch stuff based on what you like. I watch a LOT of anime, but have rather particular and peculiar tastes that change with my mood. I've seen a lot of shows many have not seen, and have not seen a lot of shows many have. Use genre search on ANN and MyAnimeList and the like. (:

Anime are definitely very much so like the video game analogy you mentioned. Every season (at least since I've started following closely) usually ends with only a handful of decent shows, and even then, only one or a few end up being so good that you actually remember them. The many others usually end up being entertaining at the time, but not really standout in the bigger picture. There are plenty of disappointments every season...

Basically do what frag is saying.

On April 27 2010 16:37 FragKrag wrote:
Hrm

If you like awesome pew pew battles, get Macross Zero. For awesome battles with swords and killing people, go with Berserk.

If you like the smart dude I would watch stuff like Akagi.

Dude Macross Zero was so bad T_T

The story barely made any sense at all!

I think Frontier had way better pew pew battles, and much better characters and story to boot (which is kind of sad, really).

On April 27 2010 16:46 bearbuddy wrote:
Yeah... I'm not a big fan of that list.

K-On is a moe-blob show. I apologize to all whom I've offended just now.
Azumanga Daioh is subpar at best
and Makoto Shinkai makes a bunch of works about the first love of a teenager.

hmm...

Yeah, don't like that list <.<

K-On has absolutely no depth to it, sure, but it's still entertaining as hell to me. I still watch it and like it a lot. (:

Shinkai's stories are...good enough. They're interesting. His films have absolutely amazing artwork, though. I can say a lot more about all that, but really, his films are just great to watch.

Hello
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 27 2010 08:15 GMT
#5540
who cares about the story

pew pew airplanes
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 275 276 277 278 279 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings89
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE175
SpeCial 121
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever581
NeuroSwarm180
League of Legends
Doublelift4735
Counter-Strike
taco 287
Other Games
summit1g7126
JimRising 462
C9.Mang0331
ToD102
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
StarCraft 2
BasetradeTV160
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP79
• poizon28 35
• davetesta23
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra785
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
9h 3m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
16h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Patches Events
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.