• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:32
CEST 15:32
KST 22:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12017 users

Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion - Page 9402

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9400 9401 9402 9403 9404 10602 Next
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-21 23:59:18
March 21 2018 23:58 GMT
#188021
On March 22 2018 08:08 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 07:31 Comeh wrote:
Bladerunner 2049 is a masterpiece but I can see why some don't like it.

But yeah its a masterpiece.

I am really uncomfortable with how that movie treats women and never talks about that treatment. I can make the argument that it is intentional and a vision of the dystopian capitalist future, but it never addresses it like it does the other themes it touches on. Its a future that has 200 foot tall holograms of a naked woman offer herself men that pass, but seems uninterested in how that world would cater to women. Which, again, I can justify thought shitty capitalism, but film makes no effort to do that. It bothers me because I really want to love the film. But it is brutal in how crass it is toward its female characters without an ounce of commentary on that subject. Maybe I will become more comfortable with it once I get some distance from it.


That sounds like a great future to me, I guess I gotta see this movie.
I thought it was just a last chance to cash in on a senile Harrison Ford like Star Wars but if it's got boobs it's got me interested.

And you know maybe it's commentary on how good women have things now in a world that is not a complete Telford yet.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 07:25:31
March 22 2018 00:03 GMT
#188022
On March 22 2018 08:50 2009 wrote:
where's unleashing is he watching LotGH remake i need to get his thoughts i think


when did this happen?
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm only ok with this is Yang Wen-li's RIP gets retconned because that's where I dropped the original, ain't nobody got time for that bitch boy Julian who took over.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Fleetfeet
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Canada2836 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 00:24:34
March 22 2018 00:18 GMT
#188023
You'll be disappointed in the lack of tits.

BR2049 wasn't anything special to me either. I'm glad they were patient in telling the story, but it never really made me think.

The whole women billboard thing isn't a trigger for me, though, so I honestly didn't even pick up on it. I guess you could make an argument that almost all ladies in the movie perform a binary role of evil she-bitch from hell or love interest, which is a bit icky.

The male roles are pretty genderlocked too though so idk. The movie isn't about gender roles; I'll forgive it for not having well-communicated opinions on the matter.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 00:44:36
March 22 2018 00:42 GMT
#188024
The woman billboard didn't bother me. That is just an example I use when describing the overall tone of the movie. The movie doubles down on a lot of gender issues, but never addresses them. Which is like the original blade runner, but i wouldn't consider that a strong part of the first movie either.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Fleetfeet
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Canada2836 Posts
March 22 2018 00:43 GMT
#188025
Hence "the whole women billboard thing", referring to the whole subject not just the singular event.
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
March 22 2018 00:59 GMT
#188026
Most of bladerunner 2049 is a critique on men's view of women, crafting archetypes and their place within society and the uncomfortable serventhood towards them

so yeah kinda the wrong reading there on that film
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 22 2018 01:06 GMT
#188027
I can see that take, I just think the movie never forced the audience to engage with how harmful that is. Sort of like how Fight Club never makes the audience engage with how shitty and terrifying fight club is.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Fleetfeet
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Canada2836 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 02:13:28
March 22 2018 02:13 GMT
#188028
I got a way more "corporation's pursuit of godhood" theme than a critique of men's view of women. I don't remember it ever challenging the roles and functions of the women in the film, whereas I very much remember it making us question the roles and motives of the various corporate structures present.

It'd be interesting to re-watch it with those themes in mind tho.
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
March 22 2018 02:25 GMT
#188029


This entire thread is gold. Dry humour from chess commentators.
kiss kiss fall in love
harodihg
Profile Blog Joined November 2013
Japan1344 Posts
March 22 2018 02:39 GMT
#188030
Welcome Gosi. It is I, future dihg. Now we kiss. Come, hold me. We are now kissing. Mwah.
Agh's ult sniper: Sniper locks eyes with target unit, immobilizing them in horror as he turns the gun on himself. Channeled, lasts 5 seconds.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
March 22 2018 03:15 GMT
#188031
On March 22 2018 08:50 2009 wrote:
where's unleashing is he watching LotGH remake i need to get his thoughts i think

I'm going to watch it but holy shit the new character designs are straight garbage.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
uthgard
Profile Joined January 2015
2098 Posts
March 22 2018 07:18 GMT
#188032
oh first time I heard of LotGH remake, I very much doubt it'll be as good but we'll see. only 12 eps + 3 movies though.
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
March 22 2018 09:18 GMT
#188033
FML I actually predicted correctly and have to take antibiotics today.
passive quaranstream fan
goody153
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
44306 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 09:46:07
March 22 2018 09:45 GMT
#188034
lotgh = legend of the galactic heroes ?

well i hope the visuals are great

On March 22 2018 00:25 HwangjaeTerran wrote:
somebody once told me to watch wolf children but it took whole of 2 minutes to turn into furry porn so naaah

weebs amirite


it was literally a minute of subtle sex that it didnt even show

the rest of the content was pretty much pixar tier with their best films
this is a quote
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
March 22 2018 10:51 GMT
#188035
On March 22 2018 10:06 Plansix wrote:
I can see that take, I just think the movie never forced the audience to engage with how harmful that is. Sort of like how Fight Club never makes the audience engage with how shitty and terrifying fight club is.

Art house films aren't made to hold your hand.

The setting of 2049 in itself should make you question the arrangement of its society. It's obvious that this world is rotten to its core, and the exploitative capitalist empire that the Wallace corporation represents is at the center. It is they who wish to control the commodity that is human life, and that is why the MacGuffin is what it is in this film. Notably, all of this is done with overt religious overtones, something that should, again, signal to any critically inclined viewer that there is some exploitative and regressive at play in the social dynamic presented in the film.

That Gosling's K has such a complicated and strange relationship to the women in the film is no accident. He is, after all, most attracted to an idyllic depiction of the female form in JOI, again echoing a feminist critique of the representation of women in mass media (especially advertising) that is common with our own society.

I've really said all this (and more) before in my writing about the film. For further reading:

https://medium.com/@esportsishype/2049-51d6c46844ce

As for Fight Club, again, if your takeaway after the ending of that film, where a disassociative psychopath executes a plan that includes mass terrorism, is that the film doesn't force you to engage with the dark side of its anarchistic answers to the banalities of capitalism and consumerism, I think the failure is not on the work itself but rather on the viewer for being uncritical about what it was that they were presented.
Writer@WriterYamato
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 11:04:38
March 22 2018 11:00 GMT
#188036
Someone who watvhes fight club and think its a movie about a bunch of people being cool af is a child lol

Reminder: tony soprano isnt someone you want to be like
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
same with paul atreides
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 11:15:45
March 22 2018 11:09 GMT
#188037
On March 22 2018 20:00 PassiveAce wrote:
Someone who watvhes fight club and think its a movie about a bunch of people being cool af is a child lol

Reminder: tony soprano isnt someone you want to be like
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
same with paul atreides

That Denis Villeneuve is also making a Dune adaptation is perhaps my favorite thing of all time.

Also, I just read the discussion of Annihilation as I work my way backwards. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching that film but I also kinda knew exactly what I was going to see. It helps that I've seen 2001 and Under The Skin and was completely prepared to not give a shit about whatever excuse for a plot the movie had to send Natalie Portman into the shimmery thing.
Writer@WriterYamato
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 11:19:09
March 22 2018 11:17 GMT
#188038
On March 22 2018 20:00 PassiveAce wrote:
Someone who watvhes fight club and think its a movie about a bunch of people being cool af is a child lol

Reminder: tony soprano isnt someone you want to be like
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
same with paul atreides

Exactly my experience from working in a youth club.

Oh my, this reminds me of the confusion of one of the younger children to being tickled for what looked like the first time in his life. That was so beautiful and sad at the same time.
passive quaranstream fan
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
March 22 2018 11:52 GMT
#188039
On March 22 2018 20:00 PassiveAce wrote:
Someone who watvhes fight club and think its a movie about a bunch of people being cool af is a child lol

Reminder: tony soprano isnt someone you want to be like
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
same with paul atreides

What about Michael Corleone?
kiss kiss fall in love
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-22 13:01:07
March 22 2018 13:00 GMT
#188040
On March 22 2018 18:45 goody153 wrote:
lotgh = legend of the galactic heroes ?

well i hope the visuals are great

Everything that isn't the characters looks fine from the preview.

But you might as well just watch the original if you're going to watch the remake, because the remake will almost certainly be the inferior experience as far as a complete experience goes.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Prev 1 9400 9401 9402 9403 9404 10602 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 240
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings SOOP37
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SHIN 240
ProTech136
CosmosSc2 13
mouzHeroMarine 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41844
Bisu 2802
Hyuk 1690
Shuttle 1415
EffOrt 548
Mini 518
Soma 460
Larva 340
ZerO 284
firebathero 230
[ Show more ]
Last 120
hero 114
Zeus 64
Pusan 60
Hyun 49
Sexy 48
Killer 43
Trap 41
Bale 40
Hm[arnc] 31
ToSsGirL 28
PianO 27
Aegong 25
zelot 18
sorry 15
Noble 13
yabsab 12
JulyZerg 9
Rock 8
Sacsri 8
Icarus 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5972
qojqva1399
Dendi979
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1130
crisheroes789
Lowko346
Liquid`Hasu309
Other Games
gofns34077
singsing2493
B2W.Neo1261
DeMusliM241
Livibee164
Liquid`VortiX127
Mew2King86
ArmadaUGS72
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 6719
League of Legends
• Jankos1959
Other Games
• WagamamaTV218
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 28m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 28m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 28m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 28m
INu's Battles
22h 28m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.