• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:59
CEST 10:59
KST 17:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9851 users

Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion - Page 9401

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9399 9400 9401 9402 9403 10602 Next
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
March 21 2018 18:33 GMT
#188001
On March 22 2018 03:23 Artisreal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 02:48 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:41 Artisreal wrote:
Not being a movie hipster means not arbitrarily choosing categories that make a good movie and applying them with a broad brush to every genre.

Or something like that.

What does that mean? I don't get it.

Arbitrarily making something worse than it is because you think it shouldn't be good and make up justifications for that classification.

And was that post meant as a vague insult pointed at me? I honestly don't know, but that's what it looked like to me. I started watching annihilation pretty excited, because I thought it was going to be great. It was recommended to me by a couple people, there was the hype around it and it's pretty much favorite genre, I love movies like that. But it just didn't work for me at all, that's why I even commented about it here in the first place. I hate when that happens. I don't watch a lot of movies. Pretty much only do watch a movie when I'm almost sure I'm gonna like it, so I'm very mad when I accidentally watch a movie I didn't like. Anyway, I don't care, I'm not gonna talk about that movie anymore.
super gg
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-21 18:47:22
March 21 2018 18:46 GMT
#188002
On March 22 2018 03:23 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 03:17 intotheheart wrote:
On March 22 2018 03:14 2009 wrote:
ended up deciding to rewatch kyoukai no kanata during my free time the next couple of weeks xd

I have some Kuriyama wallpapers if you want me to share them.

where are these on the scale of "banned for anime" to "banned for porn"?

They're all safe for work. Just her being either a cutie or a badass.

So to answer the question, banned for anime 100%.
kiss kiss fall in love
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
March 21 2018 19:30 GMT
#188003
On March 22 2018 03:33 cecek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 03:23 Artisreal wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:48 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:41 Artisreal wrote:
Not being a movie hipster means not arbitrarily choosing categories that make a good movie and applying them with a broad brush to every genre.

Or something like that.

What does that mean? I don't get it.

Arbitrarily making something worse than it is because you think it shouldn't be good and make up justifications for that classification.

And was that post meant as a vague insult pointed at me? I honestly don't know, but that's what it looked like to me. I started watching annihilation pretty excited, because I thought it was going to be great. It was recommended to me by a couple people, there was the hype around it and it's pretty much favorite genre, I love movies like that. But it just didn't work for me at all, that's why I even commented about it here in the first place. I hate when that happens. I don't watch a lot of movies. Pretty much only do watch a movie when I'm almost sure I'm gonna like it, so I'm very mad when I accidentally watch a movie I didn't like. Anyway, I don't care, I'm not gonna talk about that movie anymore.

Honestly, I don't know where I should have insulted you. And this was never intended anyway. I wanted to join in on p6 talking about movie hipsters but apparently did so incredibly unclear. My point being that you can enjoy movies, even if you don't find fancy words to describe why. Sames goes for why not.
I'm sorry for the confusion and in case of offending you, I did not mean to do so.
passive quaranstream fan
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 21 2018 19:37 GMT
#188004
Its ok to enjoy some hot trash movies/comics/media. I like the movie Avatar for reasons. I also know the movie is super flawed and filled with the worst racist tropes that are ok because they are blue aliens that act just like movie depictions of Native Americans. I still like it.

Just be honest about what you like and take someone’s dislike of that thing as an attack on you.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
March 21 2018 20:02 GMT
#188005
On March 22 2018 04:30 Artisreal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 03:33 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 03:23 Artisreal wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:48 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:41 Artisreal wrote:
Not being a movie hipster means not arbitrarily choosing categories that make a good movie and applying them with a broad brush to every genre.

Or something like that.

What does that mean? I don't get it.

Arbitrarily making something worse than it is because you think it shouldn't be good and make up justifications for that classification.

And was that post meant as a vague insult pointed at me? I honestly don't know, but that's what it looked like to me. I started watching annihilation pretty excited, because I thought it was going to be great. It was recommended to me by a couple people, there was the hype around it and it's pretty much favorite genre, I love movies like that. But it just didn't work for me at all, that's why I even commented about it here in the first place. I hate when that happens. I don't watch a lot of movies. Pretty much only do watch a movie when I'm almost sure I'm gonna like it, so I'm very mad when I accidentally watch a movie I didn't like. Anyway, I don't care, I'm not gonna talk about that movie anymore.

Honestly, I don't know where I should have insulted you. And this was never intended anyway. I wanted to join in on p6 talking about movie hipsters but apparently did so incredibly unclear. My point being that you can enjoy movies, even if you don't find fancy words to describe why. Sames goes for why not.
I'm sorry for the confusion and in case of offending you, I did not mean to do so.

Yeah, don't worry about it. I really was not sure what the post meant and I came off as aggressive in the reply for no reason, sorry.
super gg
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 21 2018 20:22 GMT
#188006
On March 22 2018 05:02 cecek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2018 04:30 Artisreal wrote:
On March 22 2018 03:33 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 03:23 Artisreal wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:48 cecek wrote:
On March 22 2018 02:41 Artisreal wrote:
Not being a movie hipster means not arbitrarily choosing categories that make a good movie and applying them with a broad brush to every genre.

Or something like that.

What does that mean? I don't get it.

Arbitrarily making something worse than it is because you think it shouldn't be good and make up justifications for that classification.

And was that post meant as a vague insult pointed at me? I honestly don't know, but that's what it looked like to me. I started watching annihilation pretty excited, because I thought it was going to be great. It was recommended to me by a couple people, there was the hype around it and it's pretty much favorite genre, I love movies like that. But it just didn't work for me at all, that's why I even commented about it here in the first place. I hate when that happens. I don't watch a lot of movies. Pretty much only do watch a movie when I'm almost sure I'm gonna like it, so I'm very mad when I accidentally watch a movie I didn't like. Anyway, I don't care, I'm not gonna talk about that movie anymore.

Honestly, I don't know where I should have insulted you. And this was never intended anyway. I wanted to join in on p6 talking about movie hipsters but apparently did so incredibly unclear. My point being that you can enjoy movies, even if you don't find fancy words to describe why. Sames goes for why not.
I'm sorry for the confusion and in case of offending you, I did not mean to do so.

Yeah, don't worry about it. I really was not sure what the post meant and I came off as aggressive in the reply for no reason, sorry.

No problem. Just don’t feel you shouldn’t talk about movies. Its fine to talk about them, even if you mess up and don’t say what you mean every. You won’t get better at articulating your thoughts otherwise.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
March 21 2018 21:25 GMT
#188007
lol we've had some major three way miscommunication fun here xD

I wanna watch blade runner but can't seem to really pick a point in time where it fits.
Maybe on the weekend. I'm feeling a throat inflammation approaching. So this might be a good opportunity as I cant do much apart from staying in bed anyway xD
passive quaranstream fan
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 21 2018 21:37 GMT
#188008
I have mixed feelings on new Blade Runner. It is beautifully shot and directed by someone who clearly loved the original. I’ll be interested to see if you like it.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Gosi
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Sweden9072 Posts
March 21 2018 21:42 GMT
#188009
Metaphorical films are tricky because they sort of become what you make them out to be. Annihilation reminded me a lot of Tarkovsky's Stalker - thought-provoking and intriguing world, but if you can't see past the plot it will fall very flat. Like with 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you go in with the wrong mindset that movie will be the most boring shit on earth.

Gattaca is sci-fi in its purest form. It's gonna end up being one of the most timeless movies ever imo.
I love it and it has a great OST
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi. Didn't read/post for two months and came back to see a bunch of breakups and shit

Today a bunch of snow and ice fell through the roof on our porch, leaving a hole in the size of a football. Happy spring everybody.
[13:40] <Qbek> gosi i dreanmt about you
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
March 21 2018 21:48 GMT
#188010
On March 22 2018 06:42 Gosi wrote:
Hi. Didn't read/post for two months and came back to see a bunch of breakups and shit

faruko got new gf and poulsen is making inroads with a chick
somebody had to bring balance to the force
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Gosi
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Sweden9072 Posts
March 21 2018 21:59 GMT
#188011
Did Faru ditch the plans of going to Europe for a master? Otherwise we know how that will end with GD's track record so far...
[13:40] <Qbek> gosi i dreanmt about you
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-21 22:10:49
March 21 2018 22:02 GMT
#188012
I doubt pulling Annihilation from overseas distribution actually has anything to do with a producer saying it's too "intelligent". Hollywood doesn't make intelligent movies, since it works on capitalist values. So I'm guessing it's actual a next level cheap viral marketing strategy for a movie they expect to be about break even or small profit.

Producers don't work with genres. They take a successful movie and start picking / replacing elements. They have a list of reasons why each demographic go see a movie and try to pick at least one from each. Joel Silver's movies from 48 hours through Commando and Predator to Lethal Weapon and Die Hard Anyway really is a perfect example of the process of moving from interracial buddycop movie to comedy action. Name an action movie from 90's that wasn't Die Hard. Then proper action movies kind of started dying out. Like the early Jason Stathams were still decent but now we have F10st 10nd F10rious and MCUl8r that are more like ticking every single genre box blindly and somehow still make a profit.

I'd say the interest in scifi grillz movies has been waning already, and there's just a fuckton of scifi stuff in general. The big moneymakers have been made as flawed as all of them were. People aren't going to appreciate a scifi movie even if it's 10 million times better than a glorified tech demo that got oscars and shit. In a million years stars won't be aligned in a way for Sandra Bullock to win an Oscar. Now I'm not saying all the elements will be fucking gone but there's only so many "woman goes into (relative, somewhat spooky,) isolation bubble and figures out amazing shit about life", that can be made before people start feeling a bit bamboozled.


Then there's also maybe a handful of auteurs in Hollywood that actually have the last word over executive producers in large productions.

source, a genre studies exam i'm going to fail probably, somewhat interesting stuff though.

e. you weebs with soul crushing fetish should watch Suna no Onna, btw
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
March 21 2018 22:26 GMT
#188013
anybody got a good tool for drawing database relationships? My professor is currently pushing draw.io and it's ... not very intuitive.
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
March 21 2018 22:31 GMT
#188014
Bladerunner 2049 is a masterpiece but I can see why some don't like it.

But yeah its a masterpiece.
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
March 21 2018 22:42 GMT
#188015
Bladerunner 2049 was indeed amazing, I loved it. But the new Dune is going to be even better. Also, it's apparently going to be 2 movies both based on the first book split in half. Reading about that made me even more hype than I was before. Too bad it's not coming out for a couple of years.
super gg
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 21 2018 23:08 GMT
#188016
On March 22 2018 07:31 Comeh wrote:
Bladerunner 2049 is a masterpiece but I can see why some don't like it.

But yeah its a masterpiece.

I am really uncomfortable with how that movie treats women and never talks about that treatment. I can make the argument that it is intentional and a vision of the dystopian capitalist future, but it never addresses it like it does the other themes it touches on. Its a future that has 200 foot tall holograms of a naked woman offer herself men that pass, but seems uninterested in how that world would cater to women. Which, again, I can justify thought shitty capitalism, but film makes no effort to do that. It bothers me because I really want to love the film. But it is brutal in how crass it is toward its female characters without an ounce of commentary on that subject. Maybe I will become more comfortable with it once I get some distance from it.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
March 21 2018 23:18 GMT
#188017
BR2049 is a movie I liked, but I couldn't come up with strong feelings for it. A solid 8/10 movie that didn't illicit that much other than feeling it was a satisfactory sequel to a movie that deserved one. I won't deny a good deal of the push for me to watch it came from the cyberpunk aesthetic, which I adore.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
validity
Profile Joined March 2018
1 Post
March 21 2018 23:45 GMT
#188018
--- Nuked ---
tehh4ck3r
Profile Joined August 2013
Magrathea7086 Posts
March 21 2018 23:47 GMT
#188019
On March 22 2018 07:26 Nevuk wrote:
anybody got a good tool for drawing database relationships? My professor is currently pushing draw.io and it's ... not very intuitive.


draw.io is miles better than whatever god-awful 90's-ass software that came with our textbook that our professor tried to make us use for my DB class
AdministratorIn those days, spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
March 21 2018 23:50 GMT
#188020
where's unleashing is he watching LotGH remake i need to get his thoughts i think
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Prev 1 9399 9400 9401 9402 9403 10602 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 152
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 978
Mind 672
ggaemo 620
Larva 608
Stork 326
Leta 188
PianO 145
Bisu 83
Killer 48
Hyuk 29
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
ZergMaN 24
yabsab 22
Hm[arnc] 6
sorry 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe198
League of Legends
JimRising 407
Reynor106
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1163
Other Games
summit1g10369
C9.Mang0219
Mew2King121
ArmadaUGS49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick530
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream184
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2358
League of Legends
• Stunt1252
• Jankos927
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
1h 1m
Online Event
2h 1m
FEL
7h 1m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 1m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.