|
I actually tilt so hard at "everything happens for a reason" holy shit
I was talking to my sponsor about this like a week or two ago
other shit that makes me tilt during meetings:
- "there are all these times that I almost died but I'm still here that's how I know that god exists" (this happens ALL. THE. TIME. Like wtf lets look at what this means in terms of a) the addicts that just die on the street and b) what would happen to this theory if you relapsed or otherwise were struck dead tomorrow)
- "I know that my higher power puts people in my life for specific reasons" (ie "I'm sure he put this pretty girl here so that I'd talk to her instead of that dude so that dude would go what he needed to do" REAL EXAMPLE)
- "everyone has faith if you're sitting in a chair right now you sat down in it with faith that you wouldn't fall" askdjfnalkjsnaelranweljrwer literally someone said this 2 week ago at a meeting I was at
I'm actually like pretty down with religion or spirituality relative to how I used to be and relative to most angry nerds on the internet I think but HOLY SHIT I tilt hard during some meetings my sponsor's the man though he's just like "yeah that's silly but it's not healthy to get mad calm down lolz" THANKS SPONSOR ily
(I'm pretty agnostic these days but I was raised episcopalian which are like the cool groovy christians who are down with gay marriage and shit the camp I'm working at is nominally episcopalian)
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On June 27 2015 11:22 Acritter wrote:"also sorry I stole shit from you" ah yes this is a good reason to apologize Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:21 Targe wrote: id legitimately feel patronised if someone told me "everything happens according to gods plan" in relation to something bad actually this is the one part of christianity that seems most reasonable to me as an atheist; dostoevsky won me over with his argument if you are interested in reading a minor text wall I'll explain im game
i was semi-raised christian, went to sunday school, went to church, sang prayers at school and stuff
but being told that really gets to me..
(i woudlnt call myself christian though)
|
On June 27 2015 11:26 eieio wrote: everyone has faith if you're sitting in a chair right now you sat down in it with faith that you wouldn't fall" askdjfnalkjsnaelranweljrwer
ROFL
|
28103 Posts
On June 27 2015 11:28 PassiveAce wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:26 eieio wrote: everyone has faith if you're sitting in a chair right now you sat down in it with faith that you wouldn't fall" askdjfnalkjsnaelranweljrwer
ROFL lol that is pretty good. Can't argue that logic to be fair 
|
fuck my life i just slept for 4 hours from 3-7pm and now my sleep schedule is fucked up after my first four days in community college what can i do to fix this guys help
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On June 27 2015 11:32 Fencar wrote: fuck my life i just slept for 4 hours from 3-7pm and now my sleep schedule is fucked up after my first four days in community college what can i do to fix this guys help stay up all night is the easiest option
|
On June 27 2015 11:34 Targe wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:32 Fencar wrote: fuck my life i just slept for 4 hours from 3-7pm and now my sleep schedule is fucked up after my first four days in community college what can i do to fix this guys help stay up all night is the easiest option but then its the weekend tomorrow how am i going to stay up all day??
|
I'm sure dropping out of school is the build
On June 27 2015 11:28 PassiveAce wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:26 eieio wrote: everyone has faith if you're sitting in a chair right now you sat down in it with faith that you wouldn't fall" askdjfnalkjsnaelranweljrwer
ROFL ya I'm straight triggering myself writing this shit LOL
|
28103 Posts
The words University/College student and sleep schedule don't mix, get used to it.
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On June 27 2015 11:35 Fencar wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:34 Targe wrote:On June 27 2015 11:32 Fencar wrote: fuck my life i just slept for 4 hours from 3-7pm and now my sleep schedule is fucked up after my first four days in community college what can i do to fix this guys help stay up all night is the easiest option but then its the weekend tomorrow how am i going to stay up all day?? coffee, exercise, mental stimulation
|
On June 27 2015 11:35 eieio wrote: I'm sure dropping out of school is the build but i enjoyed being productive and doing my homework so much more compared to being homeschooled and doing literally nothing 
On June 27 2015 11:35 TheEmulator wrote: The words University/College student and sleep schedule don't mix, get used to it. you've got to be fucking kidding me
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
ive just done my first year at uni and to get good grades whilst still having fun i basically didnt sleep
yeah fencar you just got to adapt
|
On June 27 2015 11:35 Targe wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:35 Fencar wrote:On June 27 2015 11:34 Targe wrote:On June 27 2015 11:32 Fencar wrote: fuck my life i just slept for 4 hours from 3-7pm and now my sleep schedule is fucked up after my first four days in community college what can i do to fix this guys help stay up all night is the easiest option but then its the weekend tomorrow how am i going to stay up all day?? coffee, exercise, mental stimulation does green tea count as coffee?
for exercise what do you recommend? I can do walking, jumprope (albeit with a 9ft jumprope, as someone who's 6'2"+ its hard to use it compared to a 10ft jumprope), I can go biking but without much sleep idk if it's a good idea with cars existing in my neighborhood and all.
On June 27 2015 11:37 Targe wrote: ive just done my first year at uni and to get good grades whilst still having fun i basically didnt sleep
yeah fencar you just got to adapt

Edit: I had a decent thing going for the first four days too. wake up at 6:30/6:00am, do my best to get up and make myself breakfast (usually eggs + toast to go with bacon my mom made for me), get ready to go to class, do okay there, find my way through campus back to my mom's car without dying miserably, do homework, play video games/watch something cool for the rest of the evening, repeat.
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
green tea should be ok, tea has caffeine doesnt it?
oh also cold water is REALLY good, staying hydrated and well fed really helps when youre tired
if youre feeling tired take a walk outside get some fresh air or something, cycling after being up all night might be dangerous but i dont know what the streets are like on your neighbourhood
|
the white house is lit up in a rainbow pattern tonight has nothing to do with anything just thought it was pretty cool the times they r a changin
|
just drink like as much water as you can and take walks and drink caffeine but if you're not used to drinking a lot of caffeine don't drink it later in the day it stays in your system longer than you might anticipate especially if you drink a ton of it lol
(I'm an ex-stimulant junkie I am expert )
|
On June 27 2015 11:25 PassiveAce wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:22 Acritter wrote:"also sorry I stole shit from you" ah yes this is a good reason to apologize On June 27 2015 11:21 Targe wrote: id legitimately feel patronised if someone told me "everything happens according to gods plan" in relation to something bad actually this is the one part of christianity that seems most reasonable to me as an atheist; dostoevsky won me over with his argument if you are interested in reading a minor text wall I'll explain this would bait the shit out of creams doitdoitdoit okay so here we go
to start off with, let's get into the mindset of an intellectually rigorous christian. there are other kinds; I'm not interested in them
what does this entail? well, first of all, god is the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of all things (the infinitely good bit is actually kind of irrelevant, as it's a conclusion rather than a premise IMO). god is the mechanism from which and (this is important) by which all things happen. in other words, for a consistent, intellectual christian, there isn't a significant distinction between god and the world. you know how you can say that an artist's masterpiece is sort of a part of him/her? this is basically the same way, except that since god is by nature inextricably connected with creation, it's much less of a metaphor.
so with this in mind, let's take something like the book of job. job loses everything and is crushed beyond recognition. if we saw this happen to someone IRL, we'd say that it was really awful luck, but another way of putting it is that the world (universe) did it. this doesn't mean that the world is an intelligent actor working for a specific end, just as we don't say that tsunamis constantly have it in for japan. despite this, the world and the tsunamis are still what do these things to individuals. similarly, christians say that it's all according to god's plan or done by god. in our traditional mindset of viewing god as a distinct authority, this seems naturally horrible, and it is in that context. a being with unlimited power causing arbitrary harm is utterly abhorrent. however, the consistent christian views god like most of us view the universe: infinite and ineffable. things happen.
now, let's step back: christians do view god as a being as well as existing as the world. it's a misrepresentation to say that it's just a synonym for the world, because that would ignore one of their fundamental understandings of the world (namely, that it is deliberately worked). however, their position of it being acceptable that evil exists as part of god's plan isn't contradictory or even vile. reason being: god is, as mentioned, ineffable and moreover irresistible. you can't get rid of god, you can't ignore god. thus, resenting god's plan is as senseless as resenting the universe for existing in such a way that (say) your father gets cancer. it simply exists. the correct response is to accept god's plan and accept the universe as it is, and despite all that goes wrong, to love god (which in our atheist minds would be the same as loving life and existence). now, obviously this point can't be proven deductively, but there's a fairly reasonable inductive argument to it. if you get angry about everything bad that happens to you, you're going to spend a lot of time angry and unhappy.
so: naked we come from the earth, and naked we shall return to it.
if any of that didn't make sense or if you see a mistake let me know
edit: oh and if you want to read the source material that won me over, read "the brothers karamazov" by fyodor dostoevsky (in particular the parts involving zossima). I don't agree entirely with his conclusions, but I'll be damned if he doesn't know what he's talking about
edit2: also most of the christians who say this aren't particularly thorough or consistent philosophers, so what they're actually saying is probably more like "god will make everything okay, just you wait" and yeah that's pretty fucking obnoxious
|
On June 27 2015 11:39 Targe wrote: green tea should be ok, tea has caffeine doesnt it?
oh also cold water is REALLY good, staying hydrated and well fed really helps when youre tired
if youre feeling tired take a walk outside get some fresh air or something, cycling after being up all night might be dangerous but i dont know what the streets are like on your neighbourhood I don't have much practice cycling lately (<30 minutes last 6-10 months) and cars are somewhat common with at least one every 30 seconds-1 minute all going around 25mph?
I'll do my best to figure out some stuff to make so I can eat and drink a bunch tomorrow. 
What about tonight? Should I be eating regularly tonight too or just fast until tomorrow?
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On June 27 2015 11:41 eieio wrote:just drink like as much water as you can and take walks and drink caffeine but if you're not used to drinking a lot of caffeine don't drink it later in the day it stays in your system longer than you might anticipate especially if you drink a ton of it lol (I'm an ex-stimulant junkie I am expert  ) i really think people underestimate water for when you're tired, its so good
i didnt really drink enough until 2 years ago and always wondered why my concentration wasnt as good as it could be
On June 27 2015 11:43 Fencar wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:39 Targe wrote: green tea should be ok, tea has caffeine doesnt it?
oh also cold water is REALLY good, staying hydrated and well fed really helps when youre tired
if youre feeling tired take a walk outside get some fresh air or something, cycling after being up all night might be dangerous but i dont know what the streets are like on your neighbourhood I don't have much practice cycling lately (<30 minutes last 6-10 months) and cars are somewhat common with at least one every 30 seconds-1 minute all going around 25mph? I'll do my best to figure out some stuff to make so I can eat and drink a bunch tomorrow.  What about tonight? Should I be eating regularly tonight too or just fast until tomorrow?
i eat a lot but thats just me generally
basically if you start to feel hungry have a snack or something or treat your day like theres 4 main meals instead of 3 (so u have a meal at like early hours of the morning)
cant comment on the cycling lol thats for you to decide what youre comfortable with
|
On June 27 2015 11:41 eieio wrote:just drink like as much water as you can and take walks and drink caffeine but if you're not used to drinking a lot of caffeine don't drink it later in the day it stays in your system longer than you might anticipate especially if you drink a ton of it lol (I'm an ex-stimulant junkie I am expert  ) Yeah from an anecdotal source (my mom read something from a book) apparently caffeine is really nasty if you drink it after 12:00pm and it will make it harder to sleep so I'm going to go ahead and not do that. 
Before then I'll probably go wild on green tea though.
On June 27 2015 11:44 Targe wrote:Show nested quote +On June 27 2015 11:41 eieio wrote:just drink like as much water as you can and take walks and drink caffeine but if you're not used to drinking a lot of caffeine don't drink it later in the day it stays in your system longer than you might anticipate especially if you drink a ton of it lol (I'm an ex-stimulant junkie I am expert  ) i really think people underestimate water for when you're tired, its so good i didnt really drink enough until 2 years ago and always wondered why my concentration wasnt as good as it could be I underestimate water in general...
It's hard for me to drink 'more water' though. Idk if I just need to have more things in my diet to make me thirstier or if I just need to stop playing so many video games but I only drink like 3-4 glasses a day usually. I think I could legit go up to like 10 glasses if I wanted to or exercised consistently every day.
BTW, thanks guys, you are best support group.
|
|
|
|
|
|