• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:36
CEST 00:36
KST 07:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13178 users

General Discussion - Page 4475

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
hariooo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada2830 Posts
December 05 2013 21:02 GMT
#89481
On December 06 2013 05:54 SKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:53 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:47 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:45 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:39 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:36 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:33 Klonere wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:29 crms wrote:
I don't care how accurate, inaccurate, bullshit or truthful DSR ends up being, the entire site and all the drama was worth it just for this:

http://i.imgur.com/VzbcciG.png

Trolling friends about DSR has been more fun this week than actually playing DOTA.


its good for this as well



Bulldog queues pubs with Sheever a lot. This particular example isn't too surprising.

The fact he queues with someone doesn't really change how good of a player he is.


It means the average MMR of all players in those games are going to be lower than if he was solo q'ing. DSR is to some significant extent (from the creator's mouth) based off that value. I can't imagine Bulldog going EE-levels of tryhard in those kinds of games either, so it shouldn't shock anyone that he might have a lower DSR compared to pubstars.

2GD is a pubstar? Just because Admiral Bulldogs MMR is lower than it could be doesn't mean he should be that low. They also don't queue exclusivelly with each other.

2GD has even talked about how his games are very diferent when he doesn't stack with Draskyl. His MMR isn't that high at all.


Right but MMR and DSR are different measures and not directly comparable as far as I know. If 2GD frequently stacks with people of higher MMR than him and Bulldog frequently stacks with people of lower MMR than him, this is an explanation for the difference in DSR's.

Oh, sure, that could definatelly be the reason why they are diferent. Which is also why Dota Skill Rating is a shit Skill Rating if it doesn't rate skill. I don't think anyone is arguing MMR and DSR are not very diferent from each other.


At least this is more debatable. Think about if LeBron James only played street ball with his friends. He's undoubtedly really good, but it's near impossible to determine his full skill potential at pro level using any rating system.

It sounds like DSR is only valid for solo q'd games. This can be a weakness of course, or you could just consider that its results are only valid under certain circumstances.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
December 05 2013 21:04 GMT
#89482
Or you could consider that it's results are hilariously invalid in all circumstances.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-05 21:05:44
December 05 2013 21:05 GMT
#89483
On December 06 2013 06:02 hariooo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:54 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:53 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:47 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:45 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:39 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:36 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:33 Klonere wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:29 crms wrote:
I don't care how accurate, inaccurate, bullshit or truthful DSR ends up being, the entire site and all the drama was worth it just for this:

http://i.imgur.com/VzbcciG.png

Trolling friends about DSR has been more fun this week than actually playing DOTA.


its good for this as well

https://twitter.com/HASHTAGGSL/status/408218149771698176


Bulldog queues pubs with Sheever a lot. This particular example isn't too surprising.

The fact he queues with someone doesn't really change how good of a player he is.


It means the average MMR of all players in those games are going to be lower than if he was solo q'ing. DSR is to some significant extent (from the creator's mouth) based off that value. I can't imagine Bulldog going EE-levels of tryhard in those kinds of games either, so it shouldn't shock anyone that he might have a lower DSR compared to pubstars.

2GD is a pubstar? Just because Admiral Bulldogs MMR is lower than it could be doesn't mean he should be that low. They also don't queue exclusivelly with each other.

2GD has even talked about how his games are very diferent when he doesn't stack with Draskyl. His MMR isn't that high at all.


Right but MMR and DSR are different measures and not directly comparable as far as I know. If 2GD frequently stacks with people of higher MMR than him and Bulldog frequently stacks with people of lower MMR than him, this is an explanation for the difference in DSR's.

Oh, sure, that could definatelly be the reason why they are diferent. Which is also why Dota Skill Rating is a shit Skill Rating if it doesn't rate skill. I don't think anyone is arguing MMR and DSR are not very diferent from each other.


At least this is more debatable. Think about if LeBron James only played street ball with his friends. He's undoubtedly really good, but it's near impossible to determine his full skill potential at pro level using any rating system.

It sounds like DSR is only valid for solo q'd games. This can be a weakness of course, or you could just consider that its results are only valid under certain circumstances.

I don't see how useful a stat that only works in circumstances that don't exist can be. Almost noone plays solo queue exclusivelly, and the website is definatelly not making the distinction. It just means the currest rating is useless.

And that's giving the benefit of the doubt that it would actually work in this imaginary scenario.
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 05 2013 21:06 GMT
#89484
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
December 05 2013 21:10 GMT
#89485
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.

The part that you are missing is that assuming the ELO of everybody else in the game is accurate, you are expected in that game to do something better than you did if you wish to win. I mean, if I play with 4 bots versus a team of 5, and the ELO is statistically balanced, I'm probably expected to go 100-0 or else the bots might just feed the game away. Extreme example but you get the idea.

Regardless, yes there is WIDESPREAD community demand for a rating system. DBR was actually quite accurate. DSR is actually just a joke and the people who are defending it are truly hilarious.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
devilesk
Profile Joined May 2005
United States140 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-05 21:10:50
December 05 2013 21:10 GMT
#89486
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"
www.devilesk.com/dota2
hariooo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada2830 Posts
December 05 2013 21:11 GMT
#89487
On December 06 2013 06:05 SKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:02 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:54 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:53 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:47 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:45 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:39 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:36 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:33 Klonere wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:29 crms wrote:
I don't care how accurate, inaccurate, bullshit or truthful DSR ends up being, the entire site and all the drama was worth it just for this:

http://i.imgur.com/VzbcciG.png

Trolling friends about DSR has been more fun this week than actually playing DOTA.


its good for this as well

https://twitter.com/HASHTAGGSL/status/408218149771698176


Bulldog queues pubs with Sheever a lot. This particular example isn't too surprising.

The fact he queues with someone doesn't really change how good of a player he is.


It means the average MMR of all players in those games are going to be lower than if he was solo q'ing. DSR is to some significant extent (from the creator's mouth) based off that value. I can't imagine Bulldog going EE-levels of tryhard in those kinds of games either, so it shouldn't shock anyone that he might have a lower DSR compared to pubstars.

2GD is a pubstar? Just because Admiral Bulldogs MMR is lower than it could be doesn't mean he should be that low. They also don't queue exclusivelly with each other.

2GD has even talked about how his games are very diferent when he doesn't stack with Draskyl. His MMR isn't that high at all.


Right but MMR and DSR are different measures and not directly comparable as far as I know. If 2GD frequently stacks with people of higher MMR than him and Bulldog frequently stacks with people of lower MMR than him, this is an explanation for the difference in DSR's.

Oh, sure, that could definatelly be the reason why they are diferent. Which is also why Dota Skill Rating is a shit Skill Rating if it doesn't rate skill. I don't think anyone is arguing MMR and DSR are not very diferent from each other.


At least this is more debatable. Think about if LeBron James only played street ball with his friends. He's undoubtedly really good, but it's near impossible to determine his full skill potential at pro level using any rating system.

It sounds like DSR is only valid for solo q'd games. This can be a weakness of course, or you could just consider that its results are only valid under certain circumstances.

I don't see how useful a stat that only works in circumstances that don't exist can be. Almost noone plays solo queue exclusivelly, and the website is definatelly not making the distinction. It just means the currest rating is useless.

And that's giving the benefit of the doubt that it would actually work in this imaginary scenario.


There's been enough evidence (DSR predicting wins at high percent is the big one) that I believe DSR works in the optimal scenario (solo Q for last 20 games against other solo q'ers).

The fact that it loses a lot of its accuracy under suboptimal conditions is certainly a disadvantage. It's the most legitimate complaint I've heard against it all thread.
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
December 05 2013 21:11 GMT
#89488
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.

We all know I'm better than you Jeff.
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 05 2013 21:13 GMT
#89489
On December 06 2013 06:11 Comeh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.

We all know I'm better than you Jeff.

nice dsr jadelord.

only 1 c-god in irc bro and he ain't from chicago.



(iloveyoucomeh)
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
December 05 2013 21:14 GMT
#89490
On December 06 2013 06:13 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:11 Comeh wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.

We all know I'm better than you Jeff.

nice dsr jadelord.

only 1 c-god in irc bro and he ain't from chicago.



(iloveyoucomeh)

I guess according to DSR since I've switched to 5 role, my low DSR indicates this pretty well.
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 05 2013 21:15 GMT
#89491
On December 06 2013 06:14 Comeh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:13 crms wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:11 Comeh wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.

We all know I'm better than you Jeff.

nice dsr jadelord.

only 1 c-god in irc bro and he ain't from chicago.



(iloveyoucomeh)

I guess according to DSR since I've switched to 5 role, my low DSR indicates this pretty well.

why you gotta try so hard? embrace the random gold friend, you'll never go back.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
hariooo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada2830 Posts
December 05 2013 21:15 GMT
#89492
On December 06 2013 06:10 devilesk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"


I'll give you a really simplistic example of how this can work. Let's say you flip a coin. Heads is "pro" bracket. Tails is the opposite. If you flip this coin many times and find that 80% of these flips are heads versus the 40% heads that your friend is flipping, this is something you can compare. Many people can do this and the distribution of what percentage heads you get will form a continuous distribution even though you originally started with only two possibilities. So suddenly you can start matchmaking your 80% against other people with close to 80% ratios.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
December 05 2013 21:15 GMT
#89493
On December 06 2013 06:11 hariooo wrote:
There's been enough evidence (DSR predicting wins at high percent is the big one) that I believe DSR works in the optimal scenario (solo Q for last 20 games against other solo q'ers).

Honest my rating predicts at 98%. Way more evidence than for DSR man, its only 65%.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
devilesk
Profile Joined May 2005
United States140 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-05 21:17:07
December 05 2013 21:17 GMT
#89494
On December 06 2013 06:11 hariooo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:05 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:02 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:54 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:53 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:47 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:45 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:39 SKC wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:36 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:33 Klonere wrote:
[quote]

its good for this as well

https://twitter.com/HASHTAGGSL/status/408218149771698176


Bulldog queues pubs with Sheever a lot. This particular example isn't too surprising.

The fact he queues with someone doesn't really change how good of a player he is.


It means the average MMR of all players in those games are going to be lower than if he was solo q'ing. DSR is to some significant extent (from the creator's mouth) based off that value. I can't imagine Bulldog going EE-levels of tryhard in those kinds of games either, so it shouldn't shock anyone that he might have a lower DSR compared to pubstars.

2GD is a pubstar? Just because Admiral Bulldogs MMR is lower than it could be doesn't mean he should be that low. They also don't queue exclusivelly with each other.

2GD has even talked about how his games are very diferent when he doesn't stack with Draskyl. His MMR isn't that high at all.


Right but MMR and DSR are different measures and not directly comparable as far as I know. If 2GD frequently stacks with people of higher MMR than him and Bulldog frequently stacks with people of lower MMR than him, this is an explanation for the difference in DSR's.

Oh, sure, that could definatelly be the reason why they are diferent. Which is also why Dota Skill Rating is a shit Skill Rating if it doesn't rate skill. I don't think anyone is arguing MMR and DSR are not very diferent from each other.


At least this is more debatable. Think about if LeBron James only played street ball with his friends. He's undoubtedly really good, but it's near impossible to determine his full skill potential at pro level using any rating system.

It sounds like DSR is only valid for solo q'd games. This can be a weakness of course, or you could just consider that its results are only valid under certain circumstances.

I don't see how useful a stat that only works in circumstances that don't exist can be. Almost noone plays solo queue exclusivelly, and the website is definatelly not making the distinction. It just means the currest rating is useless.

And that's giving the benefit of the doubt that it would actually work in this imaginary scenario.


There's been enough evidence (DSR predicting wins at high percent is the big one) that I believe DSR works in the optimal scenario (solo Q for last 20 games against other solo q'ers).

The fact that it loses a lot of its accuracy under suboptimal conditions is certainly a disadvantage. It's the most legitimate complaint I've heard against it all thread.


How is 65% high? Flipping a coin already gets you 50%. We have no other data to compare it to. How does DSR fare compared to other basic stats with respect to predicting game outcomes?

Basically you and the creator claim that 65% is statistically significant. I haven't seen any actual reason as to why it is.
www.devilesk.com/dota2
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
December 05 2013 21:18 GMT
#89495
hmmm, so what is a 'perfect' system? Im pretty sure even if valve release their fomular tomorrow, there will be a lot of nitpicking on why did they chose to use such system.
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
December 05 2013 21:19 GMT
#89496
I'm not really defending valve's system here lol. Perfect systems don't include people lol.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
devilesk
Profile Joined May 2005
United States140 Posts
December 05 2013 21:20 GMT
#89497
On December 06 2013 06:15 hariooo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:10 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"


I'll give you a really simplistic example of how this can work. Let's say you flip a coin. Heads is "pro" bracket. Tails is the opposite. If you flip this coin many times and find that 80% of these flips are heads versus the 40% heads that your friend is flipping, this is something you can compare. Many people can do this and the distribution of what percentage heads you get will form a continuous distribution even though you originally started with only two possibilities. So suddenly you can start matchmaking your 80% against other people with close to 80% ratios.


You're assuming people juggle back and forth between the two brackets. Realistically, if your cutoff is "pro level" for a game how many people are even going to play one game at pro level?

Basically, an equivalent metric would be a rating based off how many times you've played with or against Dendi.
www.devilesk.com/dota2
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
December 05 2013 21:20 GMT
#89498
On December 06 2013 06:10 devilesk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"


No I agree that he should be using a distribution rather than just getting distance from a fixed set of points if he wanted to make it a match making system. Or even better just look at distribution of the people with the statistic and rate based on those %s, which I don't think he seems to be doing anymore (or he's overestimating a lot of stuff). I don't think his % are accurate since every time he makes an adjustment those %s should change but he never changed them for whatever the hell reason.

To a certain extent I just think he's experimenting/changing things but in the process forgetting what he was trying to do in the process :D
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
December 05 2013 21:21 GMT
#89499
A simple ELO system would work much better. Basically like the one in LoL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
December 05 2013 21:22 GMT
#89500
Again, as SchrodingerYango said, the whole site is basically just a joke. I mean you can't call tiers mithril or emerald or have patchnotes encouraging you to ditch your lower ranked friends and actually be serious.

At least I hope ^^
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
Prev 1 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O145
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11427
Artosis 363
White-Ra 191
ZZZero.O 147
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm147
League of Legends
Doublelift4163
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4370
Other Games
summit1g9375
FrodaN2553
Liquid`RaSZi2005
C9.Mang0359
ToD287
Livibee192
Pyrionflax124
Maynarde52
Mew2King51
ArmadaUGS27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1101
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 131
• musti20045 35
• HeavenSC 29
• Sammyuel 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1526
• Shiphtur662
• Scarra276
Upcoming Events
OSC
24m
Replay Cast
24m
OSC
13h 24m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.