• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:20
CEST 01:20
KST 08:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War665.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12303 users

General Discussion - Page 4477

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 05 2013 22:46 GMT
#89521
On December 06 2013 07:45 Erasme wrote:
i propose dsr to be showed next to our posts in tl

maybe even go so far that only mithril ranks can actually post, everyone below mithril has to just read the words of wisdom and reflect on gaining such knowledge.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Kittan
Profile Joined April 2012
Poland3999 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-05 22:56:56
December 05 2013 22:56 GMT
#89522
On December 06 2013 07:45 Erasme wrote:

It's been displayed the whole time, right next to post date ^_^.

Wood league represent~
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=81288 <--- How I fell in love with a man, a team, a game and a website in a single day... | "There are no false gods, there is only the Emperor, and Choi Yun Sung is his prophet." -> Zona 40k
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
December 05 2013 23:00 GMT
#89523
Thats the time. I'm serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
zezamer
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland5701 Posts
December 05 2013 23:14 GMT
#89524
On December 06 2013 07:46 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 07:45 Erasme wrote:
i propose dsr to be showed next to our posts in tl

maybe even go so far that only mithril ranks can actually post, everyone below mithril has to just read the words of wisdom and reflect on gaining such knowledge.
¨
8 weeks in mithril and you get EE-samas face next to your id
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
December 05 2013 23:44 GMT
#89525
On December 06 2013 07:46 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 07:45 Erasme wrote:
i propose dsr to be showed next to our posts in tl

maybe even go so far that only mithril ranks can actually post, everyone below mithril has to just read the words of wisdom and reflect on gaining such knowledge.

I approve this motion. Comrades please unite.
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
Staboteur
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada1873 Posts
December 06 2013 00:34 GMT
#89526
Harioo wins the prize of being one of the only people I've ever seen on a forum being told to calm down and stop being a dick and -actually do it-

Seriously man, you deserve a prize.
I'm actually Fleetfeet D:
devilesk
Profile Joined May 2005
United States140 Posts
December 06 2013 00:41 GMT
#89527
On December 06 2013 06:26 hariooo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:20 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:15 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:10 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"


I'll give you a really simplistic example of how this can work. Let's say you flip a coin. Heads is "pro" bracket. Tails is the opposite. If you flip this coin many times and find that 80% of these flips are heads versus the 40% heads that your friend is flipping, this is something you can compare. Many people can do this and the distribution of what percentage heads you get will form a continuous distribution even though you originally started with only two possibilities. So suddenly you can start matchmaking your 80% against other people with close to 80% ratios.


You're assuming people juggle back and forth between the two brackets. Realistically, if your cutoff is "pro level" for a game how many people are even going to play one game at pro level?

Basically, an equivalent metric would be a rating based off how many times you've played with or against Dendi.


To explain the algorithm to the level you want me to requires expertise on the subject that neither of us have. I'm just saying your initial argument is flawed. The explanation I already gave is close enough on a conceptual level.

By the way, back before this was changed, the proportion of your games in normal, high, and very high would have correlated very strongly with your actual MMR>


Your explanation is flawed. You're using coin flips which are 50/50. Are you telling me there's a 50/50 chance my game is a "pro" game? Because I'd say there's less than a 10% chance my game is actually a pro game, and that applies to most people. I don't see how my initial argument is flawed. The fact is, you're putting matches into two bins and then trying to derive a rating from that.

By the way, this is assuming a rating system that is based on the approximation that DSR is trying to make. This isn't even what DSR actually does, because it's still solely what I consider an uncertainty measurement in whether your games are even in a pro or normal bracket which is not the same as then actually doing something with that distribution of games to form a rating.

And yes your % of games in normal, high, and very high correlated to your actual MMR. And that's a partition of matches into 3 bins. So you're saying something based on a 2-partitioning of matches is going to correlate higher?
www.devilesk.com/dota2
Shaella
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States14828 Posts
December 06 2013 00:54 GMT
#89528
guys no i'm emerald that means i'm apparently like top 1% can't i post too
stop being racist.
don't tell me to provide a legend for those charts cause we already got shaella in this thread - eieio | Bulba is my waifu
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 06 2013 00:56 GMT
#89529
On December 06 2013 09:54 Shaella wrote:
guys no i'm emerald that means i'm apparently like top 1% can't i post too
stop being racist.

sorry, mithril master race only. one more infraction and you will be banned.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Shaella
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States14828 Posts
December 06 2013 00:57 GMT
#89530
On December 06 2013 09:56 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 09:54 Shaella wrote:
guys no i'm emerald that means i'm apparently like top 1% can't i post too
stop being racist.

sorry, mithril master race only. one more infraction and you will be banned.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

B-b-b-but i'm almost mithril guys
don't tell me to provide a legend for those charts cause we already got shaella in this thread - eieio | Bulba is my waifu
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
December 06 2013 01:04 GMT
#89531
there is actually a user named NotYango

damn Yango avoiding wasting his 20k
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
December 06 2013 01:04 GMT
#89532
On December 06 2013 09:57 Shaella wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 09:56 crms wrote:
On December 06 2013 09:54 Shaella wrote:
guys no i'm emerald that means i'm apparently like top 1% can't i post too
stop being racist.

sorry, mithril master race only. one more infraction and you will be banned.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

B-b-b-but i'm almost mithril guys

That's it buddy, you're outta here.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Staboteur
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada1873 Posts
December 06 2013 01:29 GMT
#89533
Emerald exists, mythril is a myth. Hard to be master race when you're A LIE.
I'm actually Fleetfeet D:
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
December 06 2013 02:01 GMT
#89534
earth spirit should be banned from using smoke
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
hariooo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada2830 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-06 03:07:09
December 06 2013 02:40 GMT
#89535
On December 06 2013 09:41 devilesk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 06:26 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:20 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:15 hariooo wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:10 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 06:00 Milkis wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:58 devilesk wrote:
On December 06 2013 05:50 Milkis wrote:
I don't really want to go through all that PHP but it seems like the general idea was to train a bunch of data to get stuff like kda/xpm/gpm and such for every hero and judged you by the performance of those statistics per hero. That would be my guess. This is why he can get away with "20 games" for that reason.

I think such a methodology can work very well to rate players but I don't think how he's accomplishing is the best way ever. There's a lot of issues with such a system too that I wonder if it was addressed (I don't really want to read that code). But it's really not difficult to think which ones work or not.

One more thing is that every rating system has anomalies -- I mean, not everyone tryhard ladders every game and I think things like that affect your rating probably.


No, he might train with all that data, but ultimately the question he's trying to solve with his model is whether a game is "pro-level" or "normal". From his training, he can "graph" a surface that represents the baseline between pro and normal. Anything below the surface is normal and anything above it is pro. He's using the distance from that surface as the metric for generating his rating, which is I believe a point of contention for people knowledgeable about SVM (I am not), because it seems like the model's simple purpose is just to make that binary decision.


Yeah I'm definitely not defending how he implemented it -- I'd have approached it very differently. There's a lot to criticize on the implementation, but the idea itself isn't without merit IMO

Like I think if he just looked at stuff like CS, game length, etc, to control for that he'd have a much stronger rating. But I agree that doing that based on just one GPM/XPM/KDA estimate per a single hero isn't the best idea ever.


My problem isn't with what variables he's taking into account. My problem is with the question his model is trying to answer and how I don't see how it's even good for basing a rating system off of.

So he's trying to classify games as in pro bracket or non pro bracket. Suppose he can actually do this perfectly, taking into account every stat imaginable. So now I can tell you that 0 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level". What good is that metric, especially if 90% of everyone else has the same result? Even if the two brackets were distributed evenly, so then 250 out of your 500 games were played at a "pro level" how do you create a rating out of that?

Since Valve MM matches people based on a continous scale, there's more than just "pro" and "normal" bracket. I can say things like this match in the 99th percentile of matches based on the average Elo in the game, or it was played at the 5th percentile. The only thing you can do with the metric this guy is measuring is say, this match was played in "pro bracket" or this match was played in "normal bracket"


I'll give you a really simplistic example of how this can work. Let's say you flip a coin. Heads is "pro" bracket. Tails is the opposite. If you flip this coin many times and find that 80% of these flips are heads versus the 40% heads that your friend is flipping, this is something you can compare. Many people can do this and the distribution of what percentage heads you get will form a continuous distribution even though you originally started with only two possibilities. So suddenly you can start matchmaking your 80% against other people with close to 80% ratios.


You're assuming people juggle back and forth between the two brackets. Realistically, if your cutoff is "pro level" for a game how many people are even going to play one game at pro level?

Basically, an equivalent metric would be a rating based off how many times you've played with or against Dendi.


To explain the algorithm to the level you want me to requires expertise on the subject that neither of us have. I'm just saying your initial argument is flawed. The explanation I already gave is close enough on a conceptual level.

By the way, back before this was changed, the proportion of your games in normal, high, and very high would have correlated very strongly with your actual MMR>


Your explanation is flawed. You're using coin flips which are 50/50. Are you telling me there's a 50/50 chance my game is a "pro" game? Because I'd say there's less than a 10% chance my game is actually a pro game, and that applies to most people. I don't see how my initial argument is flawed. The fact is, you're putting matches into two bins and then trying to derive a rating from that.

By the way, this is assuming a rating system that is based on the approximation that DSR is trying to make. This isn't even what DSR actually does, because it's still solely what I consider an uncertainty measurement in whether your games are even in a pro or normal bracket which is not the same as then actually doing something with that distribution of games to form a rating.

And yes your % of games in normal, high, and very high correlated to your actual MMR. And that's a partition of matches into 3 bins. So you're saying something based on a 2-partitioning of matches is going to correlate higher?


No I'm saying you're flipping coins with some probability p, 0<p<1. This p would be the proportion of your games in "pro" bracket, kinda of like "very high" or whatever. Your initial assumption seemed to be that 2 discrete bins couldn't produce a continuous distribution and thus a numerical rating when it could. I just gave a really simple explanation about how that could give you a rating.

I still haven't seen a source on DSR being based on these 2 "pro" and "non-pro" bins so I have no idea where you got it from just yet. I've read like quite a few explanations from the author by this point so I'm surprised if it slipped by.

Edit: found it
Targe
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom14103 Posts
December 06 2013 02:41 GMT
#89536
whatever guys, my ranking is pro
11/5/14 CATACLYSM | The South West's worst Falco main
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12261 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-06 02:54:45
December 06 2013 02:53 GMT
#89537
On December 06 2013 06:06 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 05:55 Sn0_Man wrote:

Doing something like swapping your carry to safety as venge literally lowers your DSR. HOW STUPID IS THAT?



all systems have issues, even the mightly ELO. I mean you can be 30-0-30 and lose and that LOWERS YOUR MMR/ELO, HOW STUPID IS THAT??! (sarcasm)

The DSR method while certainly riddled with issues is still 'something'. Does it work perfectly? Nope. Are there flaws? Yep. But for all the trolling and complaining it's been more or less about where I'd expect it to be for most people I play with. My friends I expected to be close to me have been close, worse than me have been worse, and better than me better. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but if you take it with a grain of salt, it hasn't been so bad.

The main point and underlying conclusion of all the DSR discussion to me has been that ratings and the desire for ratings is obviously super hyped in the community and I wish Valve would just step in and deal with it.


From what I could gather just browsing around the PHP (and I'm no coder), DSR pulls down all its stats directly from Dotabuff: average hero win rates, average hero GPM, XPM, lasthits, denies, KDA, then it analyzes your match history and spits out a rating based on the deviation from those established markers. It seems to basically be "how far do you deviate from the average on a per-hero basis?" and it's highly questionable whether reliance on those markers is even worth anything or correlates to skill in any regard.

Basically it's terrible.

Actually I shouldn't say terrible. I'll say laughable.
Moderator
Klonere
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Ireland4123 Posts
December 06 2013 03:01 GMT
#89538
im in the dsr mines guys, need to mine my ass up some rarity of material

its saltybet all over again
Kirsed
Profile Joined May 2013
9381 Posts
December 06 2013 03:20 GMT
#89539
On December 06 2013 12:01 Klonere wrote:
im in the dsr mines guys, need to mine my ass up some rarity of material

its saltybet all over again


Coming next week a new algorithm and an Illuminati feature to help you out of the mines.
Shaella
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States14828 Posts
December 06 2013 03:37 GMT
#89540
guys i'm top 1% DSR said so

Cmon guys, emerald is almost like being mithral
don't tell me to provide a legend for those charts cause we already got shaella in this thread - eieio | Bulba is my waifu
Prev 1 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings36
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta9
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O112
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9926
Artosis 694
ZZZero.O 112
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
Doublelift5652
JimRising 312
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4075
Other Games
summit1g9652
FrodaN2279
Liquid`RaSZi1887
Livibee433
C9.Mang0377
Maynarde165
ArmadaUGS45
Mew2King34
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1161
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• musti20045 36
• Sammyuel 28
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1567
• Scarra1271
• Shiphtur630
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 40m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.