|
|
Czech Republic18921 Posts
On November 26 2013 22:12 Excludos wrote:Coming from sc(2?) you shouldn't notice that much of a difference tho, units there have turn rate as well. All blizzard games do (and this used to be a mod based on one after all) Strangely enough from the Heroes of the Storm gameplay presentation, it seems like the heroes there have no turn rate.
|
On November 26 2013 22:03 BobMcJohnson wrote:Hey, newb question  I dont play dota much, I played quite a lot of LoL/SC, but when big Dota2 tournament happen (usually TI, in this case MLG) I rather enjoy watching them, which in turn makes me want to try playing it, and each time it ends up kinda the same way. Enjoy watching, keep trying is the best advice. Dota is everything but easy to get into. Often the seemingly easiest things need good knowledge and/or execution.
On November 26 2013 22:03 BobMcJohnson wrote:The one thing that I have a hard time getting over when switching games and that ends up frustrating me is the game engine and how everything seems slow and sluggish when it comes to turn speeds/animations/projectiles, and it feels like trying to control a 36 tons truck compared to sc/lol where everything is super responsive and fast.
Does this feeling go simply go away after playing more games or are there micro tips/tricks to exploit it that I can practice to get over it? Contrary to LoL or SC almost everything in dota has a turn rate. It feels weird in the beginning, it feels like lag and you think "what a waste of time". But if you play a little more and learn the heros a bit, you'll notice that the turn rate is a important balancing factor in this game. Also (DANGER I AM NO EXPERT!, Yango correct me on this) the hero pathing on Dota2 is done on the server side. Meaning there is a little delay (which isnt really noticable considering that turn rates take much more time) in between your movements. This mechanic is in the game to prevent maphacks or something.
This feeling goes away, and you'll start to ask yourself why other games dont have that. :D
On November 26 2013 22:03 BobMcJohnson wrote:Also is there a TL newbie group somewhere where I can find other friendly newbs to learn the game with? I swear to god I saw a thread like that once but I cant find it anymore  There is this one http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=170066 but it doesnt look really active.
Try to join the TL-Guild in Dota2, maybe someone will help you there. Otherwise there are still the inhouse games on TL and I believe there is even a thread fpr newbie inhouses.
|
quick question about polymorph item recipes: can you use other recipes of the required rarity for crafting?
|
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
On November 26 2013 22:39 willstertben wrote: quick question about polymorph item recipes: can you use other recipes of the required rarity for crafting? You mean use a recipe instead of an item?
|
yeah, or more generally: can you use anything except actual wearable items? because if you can't then i don't really see the point of those recipes at all.
4 items of a specific rarity to create a random item of the same rarity? like who would actually do that?
|
turn of vsync in video options too, it makes the game feel even more sluggish
|
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
On November 26 2013 22:44 willstertben wrote: yeah, or more generally: can you use anything except actual wearable items? because if you can't then i don't really see the point of those recipes at all.
4 items of a specific rarity to create a random item of the same rarity? like who would actually do that? I'm of the same mind, I'd rather just use the augment instead.
|
On November 26 2013 22:17 cecek wrote:Show nested quote +On November 26 2013 22:12 Excludos wrote:Coming from sc(2?) you shouldn't notice that much of a difference tho, units there have turn rate as well. All blizzard games do (and this used to be a mod based on one after all) Strangely enough from the Heroes of the Storm gameplay presentation, it seems like the heroes there have no turn rate. If I were going to create a new game I would definitely not implement a turn rate. The depth of turn rate is pretty minimal compared to other game mechanics and all it does is make people who come from games like LoL/HoN feel awkward. I know several people who just couldn't get into dota solely because of turn rate mechanics.
|
On November 26 2013 23:02 Itsmedudeman wrote:Show nested quote +On November 26 2013 22:17 cecek wrote:On November 26 2013 22:12 Excludos wrote:Coming from sc(2?) you shouldn't notice that much of a difference tho, units there have turn rate as well. All blizzard games do (and this used to be a mod based on one after all) Strangely enough from the Heroes of the Storm gameplay presentation, it seems like the heroes there have no turn rate. If I were going to create a new game I would definitely not implement a turn rate. The depth of turn rate is pretty minimal compared to other game mechanics and all it does is make people who come from games like LoL/HoN feel awkward. I know several people who just couldn't get into dota solely because of turn rate mechanics.
The depth turn rates give to a game might be overlooked by most, but its still important. Its just another element that differs good from bad players, and we can't have enough of those. Blizzard will probably be contesting more of the casual audience with hots, which could be why they have removed turn rate to make it more like LoL. Nothing about dota is easy or casual, its designed to be the best and most competitive arts(or moba if you like) game they could make. As turn rates gives another element of depth, they're not going to remove it any time soon.
|
On November 26 2013 23:02 Itsmedudeman wrote:Show nested quote +On November 26 2013 22:17 cecek wrote:On November 26 2013 22:12 Excludos wrote:Coming from sc(2?) you shouldn't notice that much of a difference tho, units there have turn rate as well. All blizzard games do (and this used to be a mod based on one after all) Strangely enough from the Heroes of the Storm gameplay presentation, it seems like the heroes there have no turn rate. If I were going to create a new game I would definitely not implement a turn rate. The depth of turn rate is pretty minimal compared to other game mechanics and all it does is make people who come from games like LoL/HoN feel awkward. I know several people who just couldn't get into dota solely because of turn rate mechanics. IDK man. Off the top of my head, turn rate/cast delay is integral to:
-Complexity of ALL positioning -Efficacy of ganking -Force Staff -Blink (both Dagger and QoP/AM) -Escape/chase skills like Timberchain, Waveform, Boulder, etc. -Skill shots (lolPudge) -Fogging in a bunch of different ways -Skills that don't require turning (e.g. Windrun) would be comparably much weaker -Batrider in general (actually, maybe not so bad...)
That's just 60 seconds of thought. I'm sure a much larger list could be come up with if someone wanted to get all comprehensive.
All these things would either totally change or be completely removed without the mechanic. There are a huge variety of ways it impacts the game. I mean, you could have a Dota 2 which was maybe 96% the same (yay, arbitrary numbers!) and whether you like that 4% is personal taste, but it certainly would be a big deal. Worth it to attract "casuals"? IDK, not for me.
|
Juking is so well implemented into dota it's a big reason enough to keep turnrate. Those moments where you go back just after entering fog of war to pass under the ennemy nose are golden.
|
On November 26 2013 23:56 nojok wrote: Juking is so well implemented into dota it's a big reason enough to keep turnrate. Those moments where you go back just after entering fog of war to pass under the ennemy nose are golden. Oh I love that! If there is little vision it can be scary or not. Those decisions to chase or not, maybe leading to your death because it's harder to run and harder to chase, it forces the player to make a decision on the fly. And that's one of the many reasons I love DotA.
|
Hon has turn rates... I don't know why people claim it doesn't. They did buff a lot of heroes turnrates like potms to a much higher one but they still exist.
|
It always entertains me to hear people talking about how hard core dota is, and how they don't want filthy casuals. It's like dota's history as a casual side game to the hard core world of ladder WC3 has been completely forgotten. Dota players have made a seamless transition from defending themselves from ladder players who looked down their noses at them to looking down on all those pitiful "casual" mobas arts
|
Lalalaland34507 Posts
On November 27 2013 00:49 GeneralStan wrote: It always entertains me to hear people talking about how hard core dota is, and how they don't want filthy casuals. It's like dota's history as a casual side game to the hard core world of ladder WC3 has been completely forgotten. Dota players have made a seamless transition from defending themselves from ladder players who looked down their noses at them to looking down on all those pitiful "casual" mobas arts These people often are joking, and those that are serious about it and make a huge deal about it all the time aren't generally welcome on TL.
|
On November 27 2013 00:43 Nevuk wrote: Hon has turn rates... I don't know why people claim it doesn't. They did buff a lot of heroes turnrates like potms to a much higher one but they still exist.
Turn rates in HoN are like 10% of the turn rates in dota, yeah they're there but you won't really notice them. I think it's fine either way, one is more twitch/reflex oriented game play while the other is more.. strategic? I dunno, all I know is that coming from HoN, Dota felt super sluggish but I eventually appreciated how turn rates affect game play.
|
On November 27 2013 00:49 GeneralStan wrote: It always entertains me to hear people talking about how hard core dota is, and how they don't want filthy casuals. It's like dota's history as a casual side game to the hard core world of ladder WC3 has been completely forgotten. Dota players have made a seamless transition from defending themselves from ladder players who looked down their noses at them to looking down on all those pitiful "casual" mobas arts
this sounds more like a personal observation than actual fact. I've never felt this sort of way in WC3
|
On November 27 2013 00:49 GeneralStan wrote: It always entertains me to hear people talking about how hard core dota is, and how they don't want filthy casuals. It's like dota's history as a casual side game to the hard core world of ladder WC3 has been completely forgotten. Dota players have made a seamless transition from defending themselves from ladder players who looked down their noses at them to looking down on all those pitiful "casual" mobas arts Seamless? More like between guinsoo dota and around 6.30ish there were so many big changes that the game went from casual imbalanced fun to actual competitive game
|
I have played LoL and HoN and hope to play HotS, because I find these sort of games very cool. Like shooter meets rts meets rpg meets fighting games. Awesome combination. I respect the other games, I just like DotA most, which doesn't mean I won't fire the others up.
|
Server down
|
|
|
|
|
|