|
|
So your argument boils down to "I dislike tobi for a reason that is BY DEFINITION IRRATIONAL (pet peeves) but I'm allowed to call out anybody who says he's improved because he hasn't change the reason for my irrational dislike of him?
10/10 argument.
You know what? Every caster has annoying phrases they overuse. They all have issues. I don't particularly like tobi because of a variety of different things he says and does that bother me. I don't try to argue with people who call him a good caster because I personally dislike him though. And I don't try to tell them he hasn't improved when he clearly has.
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On November 23 2013 02:09 Velr wrote: this mantra of play by play and analytical guy is what annoys me the most.
I don't give a shit as long as the cast is fun and does not go overboard... Thats why i like GD studio the best... every cast doesnt need a play by play and an analytical but the casters can definitely be seperated into styles
i personally enjoy tobi, bts (not LD though), gd studio and even ayesee as long as it's not like his cast of the 98 min game at the inrernational
|
On November 23 2013 02:30 Sn0_Man wrote: So your argument boils down to "I dislike tobi for a reason that is BY DEFINITION IRRATIONAL (pet peeves) but I'm allowed to call out anybody who says he's improved because he hasn't change the reason for my irrational dislike of him?
10/10 argument.
You know what? Every caster has annoying phrases they overuse. They all have issues. I don't particularly like tobi because of a variety of different things he says and does that bother me. I don't try to argue with people who call him a good caster because I personally dislike him though. And I don't try to tell them he hasn't improved when he clearly has. But that's not my argument at all, are you unable to read? I didn't even say that it was my only reason for dislike him, if you had read what i wrote that'd have been clear as day to you. I have multiple reasons for disliking him where one of them is a pet peeve. And i didn't call out anyone and say he hasn't improved at all, i said he hasn't improved in the aspects of him that i currently dislike. This again is in no way saying he's a bad caster, it's saying that he hasn't changed what i dislike. I'm not disagreeing that he has gotten way better at understanding how the game works, at no fucking point did i claim he hasn't improven at all. I called someone out that said that "People are stupid" because they disliked tobi and that "People just like to hate" as if people who dislike him are doing it just to hate and are being stupid about it.
But hey, 10/10 job reading bro. Really good job.
I've constantly been trying to say that it comes down to personal preference and i just tried to point out that saying that people who dislike him are stupid or are just hating is fucking stupid. There are people who dislike him for legit reasons, just like that there are people who like him. Is it so fucking hard to understand? I don't even call him a bad caster, just that i don't personally enjoy his casts.
|
who calls lina stun light strike array anyways
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On November 23 2013 02:40 Delphiki wrote: who calls lina stun light strike array anyways i say 'tactical LSA inbound'
|
28103 Posts
I for one love windranger, screw the haters
|
On November 23 2013 03:16 TheEmulator wrote:I for one love windranger, screw the haters  They should try Ranger of the Wind or something.
|
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
Lina's stun is a stun. Stun is a very common word in Dota. You can't compare that with "blast"
|
I don't hear people complaining about "babies" from Draskyl or "Kidnapping" other similar things.
Blast is perfectly descriptive and people who whine about it need to understand that if it bothers them that is THEIR problem.
Its exactly the same as "lina stun". Stun is no more or less descriptive than blast to somebody who doesn't know dota, and if you do know dota then its once again no more or less descriptive.
|
On November 23 2013 03:16 TheEmulator wrote:I for one love windranger, screw the haters  You love everything, emu.
|
On November 23 2013 01:41 Plansix wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 01:15 LuckoftheIrish wrote:On November 23 2013 00:57 Plansix wrote:On November 23 2013 00:47 hfglgg wrote:On November 23 2013 00:36 Nixer wrote:On November 22 2013 23:01 Laserist wrote: Even I improved my Dota knowledge multiple times since I watch Tobi cast for the first time. He stays at the same spot from the beginning. He doesn't even try to improve. Anyone can pass the point where Tobi is by mildly interested in Dota.
Compare him with BTS, which are considerably improved over time, also more colorful and more value in production, there is simply no way for Tobi to compete with them. We can argue that there shouldn't be any competition but when there is money on the table, it can't go otherwise.
Tobi should have tried harder to stay on top instead of relying "shouting". He doesn't even try to improve? Come on, perhaps he could try harder, but that's just pure fallacy. I really don't understand some of the attitudes towards Tobi and the views some people have. because people are stupid. the days where tobi didnt know how most of the more complicated spells worked are over for a long long time now and if a patch is live for a couple of month is predictions in the drafting stages are astonishly good for a non pro player. people just like to hate, thats all. He suffers from the same problem tasteless and artosis had/have. If you existing long enough in the scene, people just wait to see you "fail" or "loose your passion". Then everyone jumps on the train and presents a lot of "evidence" as to why things have changed. Happened to day9, JP, DJ wheat and everyone else. It's just the nature of Internet fame. There are also lots of people who've been around longer than he has who think he is and always has been poor. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is liked by everyone. Just because a group of people complain about him online doesn't mean they make up some significant number of people who dislike him. Complaints on the Internet should always be taken with a grain of slat and compaired to the over all population that is watching the event.
Sure. The only point I want to make is that it's not just a Tobi backlash. People complaining about him aren't necessarily bandwagon-hopping hipsters. Many if not most* haven't liked his style from the beginning.
*of the people who complain. Not most of the people who listen to his broadcasts or the Dota audience or whatever.
|
On November 23 2013 04:02 LuckoftheIrish wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 01:41 Plansix wrote:On November 23 2013 01:15 LuckoftheIrish wrote:On November 23 2013 00:57 Plansix wrote:On November 23 2013 00:47 hfglgg wrote:On November 23 2013 00:36 Nixer wrote:On November 22 2013 23:01 Laserist wrote: Even I improved my Dota knowledge multiple times since I watch Tobi cast for the first time. He stays at the same spot from the beginning. He doesn't even try to improve. Anyone can pass the point where Tobi is by mildly interested in Dota.
Compare him with BTS, which are considerably improved over time, also more colorful and more value in production, there is simply no way for Tobi to compete with them. We can argue that there shouldn't be any competition but when there is money on the table, it can't go otherwise.
Tobi should have tried harder to stay on top instead of relying "shouting". He doesn't even try to improve? Come on, perhaps he could try harder, but that's just pure fallacy. I really don't understand some of the attitudes towards Tobi and the views some people have. because people are stupid. the days where tobi didnt know how most of the more complicated spells worked are over for a long long time now and if a patch is live for a couple of month is predictions in the drafting stages are astonishly good for a non pro player. people just like to hate, thats all. He suffers from the same problem tasteless and artosis had/have. If you existing long enough in the scene, people just wait to see you "fail" or "loose your passion". Then everyone jumps on the train and presents a lot of "evidence" as to why things have changed. Happened to day9, JP, DJ wheat and everyone else. It's just the nature of Internet fame. There are also lots of people who've been around longer than he has who think he is and always has been poor. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is liked by everyone. Just because a group of people complain about him online doesn't mean they make up some significant number of people who dislike him. Complaints on the Internet should always be taken with a grain of slat and compaired to the over all population that is watching the event. Sure. The only point I want to make is that it's not just a Tobi backlash. People complaining about him aren't necessarily bandwagon-hopping hipsters. Many if not most haven't liked his style from the beginning.
By far he was the main reason i couldn't get into dota casts early on in beta. I watched it for the game before i had a key and after I just ended up playing games(and sucking). He has improved his casting but his personality is what makes the cast overall, and since that's basically the same, i cant watch tobi. Hes not bad at all, but i prefer other casters. His style does not appeal to myself and others, just like others do and do not.
TLDR: everyone has different tastes. Who'dathunk?
|
On November 23 2013 04:13 Blademage wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 04:02 LuckoftheIrish wrote:On November 23 2013 01:41 Plansix wrote:On November 23 2013 01:15 LuckoftheIrish wrote:On November 23 2013 00:57 Plansix wrote:On November 23 2013 00:47 hfglgg wrote:On November 23 2013 00:36 Nixer wrote:On November 22 2013 23:01 Laserist wrote: Even I improved my Dota knowledge multiple times since I watch Tobi cast for the first time. He stays at the same spot from the beginning. He doesn't even try to improve. Anyone can pass the point where Tobi is by mildly interested in Dota.
Compare him with BTS, which are considerably improved over time, also more colorful and more value in production, there is simply no way for Tobi to compete with them. We can argue that there shouldn't be any competition but when there is money on the table, it can't go otherwise.
Tobi should have tried harder to stay on top instead of relying "shouting". He doesn't even try to improve? Come on, perhaps he could try harder, but that's just pure fallacy. I really don't understand some of the attitudes towards Tobi and the views some people have. because people are stupid. the days where tobi didnt know how most of the more complicated spells worked are over for a long long time now and if a patch is live for a couple of month is predictions in the drafting stages are astonishly good for a non pro player. people just like to hate, thats all. He suffers from the same problem tasteless and artosis had/have. If you existing long enough in the scene, people just wait to see you "fail" or "loose your passion". Then everyone jumps on the train and presents a lot of "evidence" as to why things have changed. Happened to day9, JP, DJ wheat and everyone else. It's just the nature of Internet fame. There are also lots of people who've been around longer than he has who think he is and always has been poor. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is liked by everyone. Just because a group of people complain about him online doesn't mean they make up some significant number of people who dislike him. Complaints on the Internet should always be taken with a grain of slat and compaired to the over all population that is watching the event. Sure. The only point I want to make is that it's not just a Tobi backlash. People complaining about him aren't necessarily bandwagon-hopping hipsters. Many if not most haven't liked his style from the beginning. By far he was the main reason i couldn't get into dota casts early on in beta. I watched it for the game before i had a key and after I just ended up playing games(and sucking). He has improved his casting but his personality is what makes the cast overall, and since that's basically the same, i cant watch tobi. Hes not bad at all, but i prefer other casters. His style does not appeal to myself and others, just like others do and do not. TLDR: everyone has different tastes. Who'dathunk? I disliked him from the start as well, but I'm surprised that this became a "thing" because I honestly felt when I got into the beta that he was insanely popular and loved by everyone. I remember quite clearly quite a few threads here on teamliquid where it was argued that SC2 and Lol had terrible casters because Tobi put them all to shame, something I never agreed with. He obviously has enthusiasm, but I personally find his voice really annoying and felt that him screaming blackhole for 2 minutes was no argument as to whether or not he's a great caster.
|
Tobberoth, do you watch Papa Dray's casts?
|
On November 23 2013 03:52 Comeh wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 03:16 TheEmulator wrote:I for one love windranger, screw the haters  You love everything, emu.
hes not aiushtha player
|
On November 23 2013 03:52 Comeh wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 03:16 TheEmulator wrote:I for one love windranger, screw the haters  You love everything, emu. that's like being canadian
|
canada had universal health care before it was cool wat a bunch of hipsters
|
On November 23 2013 04:26 LuckoftheIrish wrote: Tobberoth, do you watch Papa Dray's casts? Nope, good?
|
On November 23 2013 05:14 FinestHour wrote: canada had universal health care before it was cool wat a bunch of hipsters Pff, Germany had health care before Canada was even founded(or somewhat around that time)
|
On November 23 2013 05:19 Tobberoth wrote:Show nested quote +On November 23 2013 04:26 LuckoftheIrish wrote: Tobberoth, do you watch Papa Dray's casts? Nope, good?
I've heard good things but he only casts in Swedish.
|
|
|
|
|
|