• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:18
CEST 02:18
KST 09:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9861 users

US Politics Mega-Blog - Page 128

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 126 127 128 129 130 171 Next
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 01:19 GMT
#2541
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

U.S. SENATE’S FIRST BILL, IN MIDST OF SHUTDOWN, IS A BIPARTISAN DEFENSE OF THE ISRAELI GOVERNMENT FROM BOYCOTTS

In the new 2017 Senate, the GOP-controlled S.1 was a bill, called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” that, among other provisions, cut various forms of corporate taxes.

But in the 2019 GOP-controlled Senate, the first bill to be considered – S.1 – is not designed to protect American workers, bolster U.S. companies, or address the various debates over border security and immigration. It’s not a bill to open the government. Instead, according to multiple sources involved in the legislative process, S.1 will be a compendium containing a handful of foreign-policy related measures, a main one of which is a provision, with Florida’s GOP Sen. Marco Rubio as a lead sponsor, to defend the Israeli government. The bill is a top legislative priority for AIPAC.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel. As the Intercept reported last month, 26 states now have enacted some version of a law to punish or otherwise sanction entities which participate in or support the boycott of Israel, while similar laws are pending in at least 13 additional states. Rubio’s bill is designed to strengthen the legal basis to defend those Israel-protecting laws from constitutional challenge.

Punishment aimed at companies which choose to boycott Israel can also sweep up individual American citizens in its punitive net, because individual contractors often work for state or local governments under the auspices of a sole proprietorship or some other business entity. That was the case with Texas elementary school speech pathologist Bahia Amawi, who lost her job working with autistic and speech-impaired children in Austin because she refused to promise not to boycott goods produced in Israel and/or illegal Israeli settlements.

Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens. “A restriction of one’s ability to participate in collective calls to oppose Israel unquestionably burdens the protected expression of companies wishing to engage in such a boycott,”


But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

With the seven Democratic co-sponsors, the bill would have the 60 votes it needs to overcome a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. – who supported Sen. Cardin’s far more draconian bill of last year and is one of the Senate’s most reliable AIPAC loyalists – also plans to support the Rubio bill, rather than whip votes against it, sources working on the bill said. Schumer’s spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

If the bill does pass the Senate, the major question will be whether the Democratic House – now led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a long-time Israel advocate but also as a supporter of the First Amendment – takes it up and passes it into law.


theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 01:28 GMT
#2542
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

U.S. SENATE’S FIRST BILL, IN MIDST OF SHUTDOWN, IS A BIPARTISAN DEFENSE OF THE ISRAELI GOVERNMENT FROM BOYCOTTS

In the new 2017 Senate, the GOP-controlled S.1 was a bill, called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” that, among other provisions, cut various forms of corporate taxes.

But in the 2019 GOP-controlled Senate, the first bill to be considered – S.1 – is not designed to protect American workers, bolster U.S. companies, or address the various debates over border security and immigration. It’s not a bill to open the government. Instead, according to multiple sources involved in the legislative process, S.1 will be a compendium containing a handful of foreign-policy related measures, a main one of which is a provision, with Florida’s GOP Sen. Marco Rubio as a lead sponsor, to defend the Israeli government. The bill is a top legislative priority for AIPAC.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel. As the Intercept reported last month, 26 states now have enacted some version of a law to punish or otherwise sanction entities which participate in or support the boycott of Israel, while similar laws are pending in at least 13 additional states. Rubio’s bill is designed to strengthen the legal basis to defend those Israel-protecting laws from constitutional challenge.

Punishment aimed at companies which choose to boycott Israel can also sweep up individual American citizens in its punitive net, because individual contractors often work for state or local governments under the auspices of a sole proprietorship or some other business entity. That was the case with Texas elementary school speech pathologist Bahia Amawi, who lost her job working with autistic and speech-impaired children in Austin because she refused to promise not to boycott goods produced in Israel and/or illegal Israeli settlements.

Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens. “A restriction of one’s ability to participate in collective calls to oppose Israel unquestionably burdens the protected expression of companies wishing to engage in such a boycott,”


But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

With the seven Democratic co-sponsors, the bill would have the 60 votes it needs to overcome a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. – who supported Sen. Cardin’s far more draconian bill of last year and is one of the Senate’s most reliable AIPAC loyalists – also plans to support the Rubio bill, rather than whip votes against it, sources working on the bill said. Schumer’s spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

If the bill does pass the Senate, the major question will be whether the Democratic House – now led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a long-time Israel advocate but also as a supporter of the First Amendment – takes it up and passes it into law.


theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 01:38 GMT
#2543
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

U.S. SENATE’S FIRST BILL, IN MIDST OF SHUTDOWN, IS A BIPARTISAN DEFENSE OF THE ISRAELI GOVERNMENT FROM BOYCOTTS

In the new 2017 Senate, the GOP-controlled S.1 was a bill, called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” that, among other provisions, cut various forms of corporate taxes.

But in the 2019 GOP-controlled Senate, the first bill to be considered – S.1 – is not designed to protect American workers, bolster U.S. companies, or address the various debates over border security and immigration. It’s not a bill to open the government. Instead, according to multiple sources involved in the legislative process, S.1 will be a compendium containing a handful of foreign-policy related measures, a main one of which is a provision, with Florida’s GOP Sen. Marco Rubio as a lead sponsor, to defend the Israeli government. The bill is a top legislative priority for AIPAC.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel. As the Intercept reported last month, 26 states now have enacted some version of a law to punish or otherwise sanction entities which participate in or support the boycott of Israel, while similar laws are pending in at least 13 additional states. Rubio’s bill is designed to strengthen the legal basis to defend those Israel-protecting laws from constitutional challenge.

Punishment aimed at companies which choose to boycott Israel can also sweep up individual American citizens in its punitive net, because individual contractors often work for state or local governments under the auspices of a sole proprietorship or some other business entity. That was the case with Texas elementary school speech pathologist Bahia Amawi, who lost her job working with autistic and speech-impaired children in Austin because she refused to promise not to boycott goods produced in Israel and/or illegal Israeli settlements.

Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens. “A restriction of one’s ability to participate in collective calls to oppose Israel unquestionably burdens the protected expression of companies wishing to engage in such a boycott,”


But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

With the seven Democratic co-sponsors, the bill would have the 60 votes it needs to overcome a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. – who supported Sen. Cardin’s far more draconian bill of last year and is one of the Senate’s most reliable AIPAC loyalists – also plans to support the Rubio bill, rather than whip votes against it, sources working on the bill said. Schumer’s spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

If the bill does pass the Senate, the major question will be whether the Democratic House – now led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a long-time Israel advocate but also as a supporter of the First Amendment – takes it up and passes it into law.


theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 01:49 GMT
#2544
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

U.S. SENATE’S FIRST BILL, IN MIDST OF SHUTDOWN, IS A BIPARTISAN DEFENSE OF THE ISRAELI GOVERNMENT FROM BOYCOTTS

In the new 2017 Senate, the GOP-controlled S.1 was a bill, called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” that, among other provisions, cut various forms of corporate taxes.

But in the 2019 GOP-controlled Senate, the first bill to be considered – S.1 – is not designed to protect American workers, bolster U.S. companies, or address the various debates over border security and immigration. It’s not a bill to open the government. Instead, according to multiple sources involved in the legislative process, S.1 will be a compendium containing a handful of foreign-policy related measures, a main one of which is a provision, with Florida’s GOP Sen. Marco Rubio as a lead sponsor, to defend the Israeli government. The bill is a top legislative priority for AIPAC.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel. As the Intercept reported last month, 26 states now have enacted some version of a law to punish or otherwise sanction entities which participate in or support the boycott of Israel, while similar laws are pending in at least 13 additional states. Rubio’s bill is designed to strengthen the legal basis to defend those Israel-protecting laws from constitutional challenge.

Punishment aimed at companies which choose to boycott Israel can also sweep up individual American citizens in its punitive net, because individual contractors often work for state or local governments under the auspices of a sole proprietorship or some other business entity. That was the case with Texas elementary school speech pathologist Bahia Amawi, who lost her job working with autistic and speech-impaired children in Austin because she refused to promise not to boycott goods produced in Israel and/or illegal Israeli settlements.

Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens. “A restriction of one’s ability to participate in collective calls to oppose Israel unquestionably burdens the protected expression of companies wishing to engage in such a boycott,”


But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

With the seven Democratic co-sponsors, the bill would have the 60 votes it needs to overcome a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. – who supported Sen. Cardin’s far more draconian bill of last year and is one of the Senate’s most reliable AIPAC loyalists – also plans to support the Rubio bill, rather than whip votes against it, sources working on the bill said. Schumer’s spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

If the bill does pass the Senate, the major question will be whether the Democratic House – now led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a long-time Israel advocate but also as a supporter of the First Amendment – takes it up and passes it into law.


theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 02:09 GMT
#2545
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

U.S. SENATE’S FIRST BILL, IN MIDST OF SHUTDOWN, IS A BIPARTISAN DEFENSE OF THE ISRAELI GOVERNMENT FROM BOYCOTTS

In the new 2017 Senate, the GOP-controlled S.1 was a bill, called the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” that, among other provisions, cut various forms of corporate taxes.

But in the 2019 GOP-controlled Senate, the first bill to be considered – S.1 – is not designed to protect American workers, bolster U.S. companies, or address the various debates over border security and immigration. It’s not a bill to open the government. Instead, according to multiple sources involved in the legislative process, S.1 will be a compendium containing a handful of foreign-policy related measures, a main one of which is a provision, with Florida’s GOP Sen. Marco Rubio as a lead sponsor, to defend the Israeli government. The bill is a top legislative priority for AIPAC.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel.

In the previous Congress, that measure was known as S.170, and it gives state and local governments explicit legal authority to boycott any U.S. companies which themselves are participating in a boycott against Israel. As the Intercept reported last month, 26 states now have enacted some version of a law to punish or otherwise sanction entities which participate in or support the boycott of Israel, while similar laws are pending in at least 13 additional states. Rubio’s bill is designed to strengthen the legal basis to defend those Israel-protecting laws from constitutional challenge.

Punishment aimed at companies which choose to boycott Israel can also sweep up individual American citizens in its punitive net, because individual contractors often work for state or local governments under the auspices of a sole proprietorship or some other business entity. That was the case with Texas elementary school speech pathologist Bahia Amawi, who lost her job working with autistic and speech-impaired children in Austin because she refused to promise not to boycott goods produced in Israel and/or illegal Israeli settlements.

Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens. “A restriction of one’s ability to participate in collective calls to oppose Israel unquestionably burdens the protected expression of companies wishing to engage in such a boycott,”


But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

With the seven Democratic co-sponsors, the bill would have the 60 votes it needs to overcome a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. – who supported Sen. Cardin’s far more draconian bill of last year and is one of the Senate’s most reliable AIPAC loyalists – also plans to support the Rubio bill, rather than whip votes against it, sources working on the bill said. Schumer’s spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

If the bill does pass the Senate, the major question will be whether the Democratic House – now led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a long-time Israel advocate but also as a supporter of the First Amendment – takes it up and passes it into law.


theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-07 02:19:02
January 07 2019 02:16 GMT
#2546
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 06:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Whenever anyone needs an example of Republicans not giving a damn about the constitution or freedom of speech this one will probably work.

[quote]

But don't think it doesn't also implicate Democrats too

[quote]

theintercept.com

Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-07 02:52:13
January 07 2019 02:46 GMT
#2547
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:31 Danglars wrote:
[quote]
Godawful amendment. The federal government has no authority to compel states and localities to boycott on chosen grounds. Their only related responsibility is regulating interstate commerce. Stupid Republicans.


But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 02:55 GMT
#2548
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 08:35 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

But a worthy trade I presume? Because a deliberate and coordinated attack on the first amendment like that is disqualifying of any and all support for me, let alone that they made it priority 1.

If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 04:14 GMT
#2549
On January 07 2019 11:55 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 09:56 Danglars wrote:
[quote]
If that’s my representative, he’s lost my vote. The federal government has no say in this, short of extreme cases like wars and violations of regulations on trade. I’m a big supporter of Israel, but this is not the way to go about fighting the BDS losers, as despicable as they are. Not even close to being acceptable.


So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.

Haha, that took a left turn real quick. I did include the "somewhat hairbrained" qualifier for good reason. No, I don't think right-wing versions of you "often support things like the systematic extermination of people like [yourself]." You're radical, but not quite that radical. Your twins just are equally loopy on matters of social, economic, and foreign policy in the libertarian or authoritarian direction. I have my doubts whether you seriously believe yourself a comparable to people that support systematic extermination on the other wing.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-07 05:17:59
January 07 2019 05:17 GMT
#2550
On January 07 2019 13:14 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 11:55 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

So you would agree that Republicans in the Senate and house (as well as the cosponsoring/supporting Dems) should be removed from office to protect the first amendment no? If Trump signed it he should go too?

You also mentioned the feds, are you suggesting that states should have this ability to limit free speech?


They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.

Haha, that took a left turn real quick. I did include the "somewhat hairbrained" qualifier for good reason. No, I don't think right-wing versions of you "often support things like the systematic extermination of people like [yourself]." You're radical, but not quite that radical. Your twins just are equally loopy on matters of social, economic, and foreign policy in the libertarian or authoritarian direction. I have my doubts whether you seriously believe yourself a comparable to people that support systematic extermination on the other wing.


Fair. I made some presumptions about who you're referencing (in the more broad political sense) and how you interpret my/their views.

So from your perspective things like this assault on the first amendment must be balanced with what you view as other infringements on your liberty or generally poor policy decisions. If it was the only difference you'd always vote for the candidate that didn't support that assault. But because there are many differences each with their own but often intersecting impacts on your material conditions such an attack on the 1st amendment can't be disqualifying on it's own, else you think your vote wasted.

Right now you're hoping against the trends within both parties to resist dissenting voices and that the all but not existent (at the representative level) dissent against something like this assault against the 1st amendment is going to gain traction somehow.

If Trump supports this assault on the 1st amendment he'll still get your vote, but you'll find it tolerable only because the alternative would be comparable or worse on the whole.

Is that a fair depiction of your position on why you would vote for someone that was part of a coordinated, bipartisan, attack on your 1st Amendment rather than conclude that you can't?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 06:13 GMT
#2551
On January 07 2019 14:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 13:14 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:55 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:19 Danglars wrote:
[quote]
They should lose their re-election campaigns on supporting reckless legislation. If they're just getting replaced by another first amendment dimwit, like say Hillary, then the process of decision goes on.

Most of the state legislation I've seen also runs afoul constitutionally, but I'd have to look deeper in the matter. Generally they can't. At some edge cases, you can't choose not to do business with Jews if you say it's "because they support the state of Israel" instead of "because they're Jewish?" But again, I'd have to see and read concrete examples of state laws to get into specifics.


I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.

Haha, that took a left turn real quick. I did include the "somewhat hairbrained" qualifier for good reason. No, I don't think right-wing versions of you "often support things like the systematic extermination of people like [yourself]." You're radical, but not quite that radical. Your twins just are equally loopy on matters of social, economic, and foreign policy in the libertarian or authoritarian direction. I have my doubts whether you seriously believe yourself a comparable to people that support systematic extermination on the other wing.


Fair. I made some presumptions about who you're referencing (in the more broad political sense) and how you interpret my/their views.

So from your perspective things like this assault on the first amendment must be balanced with what you view as other infringements on your liberty or generally poor policy decisions. If it was the only difference you'd always vote for the candidate that didn't support that assault. But because there are many differences each with their own but often intersecting impacts on your material conditions such an attack on the 1st amendment can't be disqualifying on it's own, else you think your vote wasted.

Right now you're hoping against the trends within both parties to resist dissenting voices and that the all but not existent (at the representative level) dissent against something like this assault against the 1st amendment is going to gain traction somehow.

If Trump supports this assault on the 1st amendment he'll still get your vote, but you'll find it tolerable only because the alternative would be comparable or worse on the whole.

Is that a fair depiction of your position on why you would vote for someone that was part of a coordinated, bipartisan, attack on your 1st Amendment rather than conclude that you can't?

You’ve given a somewhat fair approximation, except that I wouldn’t phrase the end as you do. I think of it as a series of alternatives, the Russian roulette game played with 5 bullets instead of six. It’s a question of which coordinated campaign with which bipartisan hacks would incidentally remain in power as I seek to dismantle the game with what power I have. I don’t see a use in framing the resulting bad option as you do.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 06:28 GMT
#2552
On January 07 2019 15:13 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 14:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 13:14 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:55 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

I don't usually like to congratulate people for basic decency, but because I'm going to continue to be somewhat skeptical, I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate you stepping up and both taking a position and subjecting it to reasonable scrutiny. I'm confident this isn't an entirely new position constructed upon discovering this coordinated assault against the first amendment in favor of Israel. It's clear though that it hasn't topped your priority list, but you're willing to hold people to account to a degree.

I'd like to investigate the unless "their being replaced" with someone I think you're saying is comparably bad on the issue (or perhaps other issues) which is where accountability seems to break down in both parties. It's for that reason I think it's worth taking a closer look at.

What do you mean when you say "the process of decision goes on"?

If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.

Haha, that took a left turn real quick. I did include the "somewhat hairbrained" qualifier for good reason. No, I don't think right-wing versions of you "often support things like the systematic extermination of people like [yourself]." You're radical, but not quite that radical. Your twins just are equally loopy on matters of social, economic, and foreign policy in the libertarian or authoritarian direction. I have my doubts whether you seriously believe yourself a comparable to people that support systematic extermination on the other wing.


Fair. I made some presumptions about who you're referencing (in the more broad political sense) and how you interpret my/their views.

So from your perspective things like this assault on the first amendment must be balanced with what you view as other infringements on your liberty or generally poor policy decisions. If it was the only difference you'd always vote for the candidate that didn't support that assault. But because there are many differences each with their own but often intersecting impacts on your material conditions such an attack on the 1st amendment can't be disqualifying on it's own, else you think your vote wasted.

Right now you're hoping against the trends within both parties to resist dissenting voices and that the all but not existent (at the representative level) dissent against something like this assault against the 1st amendment is going to gain traction somehow.

If Trump supports this assault on the 1st amendment he'll still get your vote, but you'll find it tolerable only because the alternative would be comparable or worse on the whole.

Is that a fair depiction of your position on why you would vote for someone that was part of a coordinated, bipartisan, attack on your 1st Amendment rather than conclude that you can't?

You’ve given a somewhat fair approximation, except that I wouldn’t phrase the end as you do. I think of it as a series of alternatives, the Russian roulette game played with 5 bullets instead of six. It’s a question of which coordinated campaign with which bipartisan hacks would incidentally remain in power as I seek to dismantle the game with what power I have. I don’t see a use in framing the resulting bad option as you do.


I just hope that liberals understand that my argument is that it's the view/framing of politics you're presenting which ensures neither of you get anywhere significant but a small group of people continue to get wealthier and more powerful while they eat away at your liberties and future. That the comforts we do manage to obtain are secured by the policy we nominally oppose and that it's a bit of a prisoners dilemma in that you keep screwing yourselves as long as you don't trust people on the other side to see that telling those guys to go fuck themselves works out better for both of you.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 07 2019 06:56 GMT
#2553
On January 07 2019 15:28 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2019 15:13 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 14:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 13:14 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:55 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:46 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 11:09 Danglars wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:49 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 07 2019 10:38 Danglars wrote:
[quote]
If both available candidates are historically bad on the first amendment, you move down the list of least worst candidate on the other stated and unstated policy positions. Similarly to other situations on single issue voters, if they're both pro-life or pro-choice, you look further and try to campaign harder and talk more in the primary process for next time. It looks like you're going towards what situations I'd find myself voting for a third party on?


I suppose less about voting third party and more when it gets to a point you've compromised too much or if there is one?

Because while nominally we may have both determined Trump (and others) signing such an attack on the first amendment would be disqualifying, if you end up voting for them anyway, it's in practice indistinguishable from collaborating in the attack yourself.

So would it not be fair to say that in effect while you oppose the policy, you do have to consider it acceptable as part of a larger consideration of which one of the major parties will get your vote?

No, you're going way off the rails here. Just because voting for someone because his opponent is just as bad, but worse in other areas is indistinguishable from someone else not caring about the issue, does not mean I have to consider it acceptable. The only relevance of that question is directed at whether or not the issue is important enough and both major party's candidates are bad enough on it to justify throwing away my vote on a third party. Even then, that question involves the problem with distinguishing between others who went third party on issues likeability, elitism, corruption, moral character vs my first amendment concerns. Are they any more separable than playing best-of-the-bad with major party candidates?


I'm not sure what rails you're referencing but perhaps the word acceptable is part of the problem. Maybe you would find "bearable" less objectionable?

I do agree with you there are parallels between this decision for you and how others came to the conclusion that supporting elitism, corruption, etc... was in fact not bearable for them and chose not to support either major party that did find it bearable.

What you do with your vote beyond not supporting either of the major parties is a reasonable question to ask, but I don't think changes whether you ultimately find something like this assault on the 1st Amendment bearable or not.


EDIT: Additionally if the people responsible for attacking the 1st Amendment get your vote, in what way can you ever hold them accountable so long as the alternative maintains being worse on that and/or other issues?

So, how to hold either party accountable when many times both have terrible track records on issues that matter, and where the least objectionable alternative means throwing my vote away on a third party candidate. That’s a big issue.

I don’t know if my calculus today will yield the same result in 5 years. Do you change the parties from within or without? Tough to say. Right now, I’m within the Republican Party, hoping with likeminded individuals to pressure candidates to adopt and effect first amendment policies. Maybe a couple years later, I give up and go independent and write a letter every year to the local caucus explaining how unacceptable zero improvement on free speech compared to the Dem challenger does not earn my vote for any primary candidate. It’s not an easy task for me because it refers to strategy and coexists among other rights that are also important to me.

Losing my second amendment rights through legislation or courts is small comfort if I’ve only made headway on the first amendment at that point (let’s say they’re now voicing support in primary, but reversing course upon election). Maybe my better strategy was preserving my second amendment rights through candidates that do present a good difference and speaking, writing, and organizing within the party for the first amendment during that time. That’s the fucked up calculus of broad coalitions. I know some equally passionate and somewhat hairbrained individuals as far right as you are left GH, and they’ve got some pretty good arguments that my plans only slow the loss of first amendment protections while guaranteeing destruction of the second amendment, abortion on demand, open borders, and the rest.


You are not alone in this. So since those you see as right-wing analogs to myself often (but not always) support things like the systematic extermination of people like myself, it's both in my self-interest and I believe our mutual interest, that we explore that in a way that recognizes the futility of the strategy you're currently employing, the material interests that are served by you seeking refuge from the clearly corrupted major parties, and explore the differences between those to your right offering similar critiques and those like myself.

Haha, that took a left turn real quick. I did include the "somewhat hairbrained" qualifier for good reason. No, I don't think right-wing versions of you "often support things like the systematic extermination of people like [yourself]." You're radical, but not quite that radical. Your twins just are equally loopy on matters of social, economic, and foreign policy in the libertarian or authoritarian direction. I have my doubts whether you seriously believe yourself a comparable to people that support systematic extermination on the other wing.


Fair. I made some presumptions about who you're referencing (in the more broad political sense) and how you interpret my/their views.

So from your perspective things like this assault on the first amendment must be balanced with what you view as other infringements on your liberty or generally poor policy decisions. If it was the only difference you'd always vote for the candidate that didn't support that assault. But because there are many differences each with their own but often intersecting impacts on your material conditions such an attack on the 1st amendment can't be disqualifying on it's own, else you think your vote wasted.

Right now you're hoping against the trends within both parties to resist dissenting voices and that the all but not existent (at the representative level) dissent against something like this assault against the 1st amendment is going to gain traction somehow.

If Trump supports this assault on the 1st amendment he'll still get your vote, but you'll find it tolerable only because the alternative would be comparable or worse on the whole.

Is that a fair depiction of your position on why you would vote for someone that was part of a coordinated, bipartisan, attack on your 1st Amendment rather than conclude that you can't?

You’ve given a somewhat fair approximation, except that I wouldn’t phrase the end as you do. I think of it as a series of alternatives, the Russian roulette game played with 5 bullets instead of six. It’s a question of which coordinated campaign with which bipartisan hacks would incidentally remain in power as I seek to dismantle the game with what power I have. I don’t see a use in framing the resulting bad option as you do.


I just hope that liberals understand that my argument is that it's the view/framing of politics you're presenting which ensures neither of you get anywhere significant but a small group of people continue to get wealthier and more powerful while they eat away at your liberties and future. That the comforts we do manage to obtain are secured by the policy we nominally oppose and that it's a bit of a prisoners dilemma in that you keep screwing yourselves as long as you don't trust people on the other side to see that telling those guys to go fuck themselves works out better for both of you.

I figured you believed something like this. The fights and rest all work to support a capitalist superstructure run for the benefit of the wealthy and powerful and all that. It is better than you say it in your own words, and I believe you to be presenting your worldview honestly.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 07 2019 14:06 GMT
#2554
That S.1 bill is beyond terrible. I can't believe that AIPAC is so stupid as to push it. It is nothing but a poison pill for American support for Israel.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-07 16:35:52
January 07 2019 15:20 GMT
#2555
So you guys know when Democrats support something terrible their supporters are making the same calculations you guys are but with different material conditions, so naturally balancing things differently?

If a deliberate, coordinated, bipartisan, national and state level attack against the 1st Amendment isn't enough for either of you (or democrats) to stop supporting the people doing it, it'll be far too late to do anything by the time politicians do something that actually makes you (or Democrats) not vote for them.

"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 07 2019 19:51 GMT
#2556
I wonder if Trump is going to use his prime time address tomorrow to declare a state of emergency and simply have the military build the wall with existing funds. Phrasing the border situation as a "humanitarian and national security crisis" suggests that he will.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 20:00 GMT
#2557
On January 08 2019 04:51 xDaunt wrote:
I wonder if Trump is going to use his prime time address tomorrow to declare a state of emergency and simply have the military build the wall with existing funds. Phrasing the border situation as a "humanitarian and national security crisis" suggests that he will.


Assault on the first amendment, state of emergency... you can't tell me you don't see the danger?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 07 2019 20:16 GMT
#2558
On January 08 2019 05:00 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2019 04:51 xDaunt wrote:
I wonder if Trump is going to use his prime time address tomorrow to declare a state of emergency and simply have the military build the wall with existing funds. Phrasing the border situation as a "humanitarian and national security crisis" suggests that he will.


Assault on the first amendment, state of emergency... you can't tell me you don't see the danger?


Let's see what he does with the state of emergency. There's a big difference between what he might do using that power (which is clearly constitutional) and politicians who have been subverted by foreign interests stripping Americans of constitutional protections for the sake of foreign interests.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 07 2019 20:41 GMT
#2559
On January 08 2019 05:16 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2019 05:00 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 08 2019 04:51 xDaunt wrote:
I wonder if Trump is going to use his prime time address tomorrow to declare a state of emergency and simply have the military build the wall with existing funds. Phrasing the border situation as a "humanitarian and national security crisis" suggests that he will.


Assault on the first amendment, state of emergency... you can't tell me you don't see the danger?


Let's see what he does with the state of emergency. There's a big difference between what he might do using that power (which is clearly constitutional) and politicians who have been subverted by foreign interests stripping Americans of constitutional protections for the sake of foreign interests.


I don't know if "let's see" isn't just wishful thinking that has no value. If he's not actively fighting the Republicans/Democrats trying to strip us of our constitutional protections, what gives you faith that he and Republicans/Democrats wouldn't exploit a state of emergency to strip more of our rights faster?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 07 2019 20:46 GMT
#2560
On January 08 2019 05:41 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2019 05:16 xDaunt wrote:
On January 08 2019 05:00 GreenHorizons wrote:
On January 08 2019 04:51 xDaunt wrote:
I wonder if Trump is going to use his prime time address tomorrow to declare a state of emergency and simply have the military build the wall with existing funds. Phrasing the border situation as a "humanitarian and national security crisis" suggests that he will.


Assault on the first amendment, state of emergency... you can't tell me you don't see the danger?


Let's see what he does with the state of emergency. There's a big difference between what he might do using that power (which is clearly constitutional) and politicians who have been subverted by foreign interests stripping Americans of constitutional protections for the sake of foreign interests.


I don't know if "let's see" isn't just wishful thinking that has no value. If he's not actively fighting the Republicans/Democrats trying to strip us of our constitutional protections, what gives you faith that he and Republicans/Democrats wouldn't exploit a state of emergency to strip more of our rights faster?

Considering that Trump has fought the establishment more than any other politician in recent memory, I'm not sure what your beef is. He's one of the few politicians in DC who actually does look out for the interests of every day Americans, and he's by far the most effective at it.
Prev 1 126 127 128 129 130 171 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft294
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft294
ViBE133
CosmosSc2 58
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1908
Shuttle 546
Artosis 496
910 35
Dota 2
monkeys_forever680
Counter-Strike
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox397
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5720
Other Games
summit1g7867
shahzam584
JimRising 560
C9.Mang0258
Maynarde120
ArmadaUGS67
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick861
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream122
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen123
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
10h 42m
Stellar Fest
12h 42m
The PondCast
1d 9h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
OSC
1d 23h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.