• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:35
CEST 04:35
KST 11:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6778 users

Teamliquid hostile to minorities? - Page 6

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
[angst]chraej
Profile Joined January 2006
1445 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-16 10:19:37
April 16 2007 10:16 GMT
#101
On April 16 2007 11:40 Hot_Bid wrote:
chraej please read his post and have an open mind

also i don't see how bine's race has anything to do with his argument


really i'm trying, but he makes it hard to stretch it sometimes.
i know what he is saying but i dont agree with 90% of it.

+ i refuse to limit myself because of race, that is just a ridiculous request and i will not fulfill it.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
April 16 2007 10:52 GMT
#102
On April 16 2007 14:06 MoltkeWarding wrote:
Show nested quote +
But unfortunately it's not up to us (white people) to decide when and if that term stops being offensive. It may be growing in its use in the white world, but it's still considered unacceptable for white people to say that word in any sort of joking way by most of the American adult population anyway. Think about it this way: would you make the jokes you're making in front of a black person you just met? If the answer is no, making the joke on a public forum where it can and will be read by people of a variety of ethnic backgrounds probably isn't the best idea.


Sure, the word is not respectable, but that is less due to its inflammatory nature than to the fact that it means nothing. It is like any other inflammatory word, which has ceased to become shocking due to the vulgarity of our society. The problem is not racism, but lack of verbal value. Deterioration of language is only a symptom of wider degeneracies at play.

I believe that many white people who use that word are themselves imitating blacks, and black sub-culture. I don't see the point of criticizing the inaccessibility of this forum to black people while erecting a racial barrier in the use of certain words. The only means of segregating words along lines of race, is through racial segregation itself.


Like I said, the easiest way to understand this is to understand there to be 2 different words, the way black people say and the word white people say. The two ways of using the words just have such wildly divergent effects and meanings that they really are like 2 different words. I agree, the word is largely meaningless, and that's another reason not to use it and a compelling argument for blacks not to use the word. I don't think I affirmatively want black people to use the word either, but I think that it's important to understand that when they do use it it's much different than when white people use it. At the end of the day, it would probably be a better idea for no one to use the N word. But I can't really get mad at black people for using it in the same way I can at white people.
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
April 16 2007 11:00 GMT
#103
On April 16 2007 18:53 RowdierBob wrote:
Ok, coming back to Chapelle's show as an example, Neal Brennan is one of the chief writers for the show and also white. We all know the show makes fun of blacks, white, hispanics etc, but is Neal Brennan a racist or is it OK for him because he works in collaboration with black people?

There's such a big grey area here and I don't think it's right so say white people can't say it at all just because we're white.


Of course there's a gray area, and I've said that there are some circumstances in which white people using the word are OK. Being a writer for a black comedian is certainly one of them. Addressing the word in an academic context is another one. I'm definitely not claiming that there's some sort of inherent problem with the syllables "nig" and "ger" being uttered by a white person. I'm just saying that white people casually joking about it amongst themselves perpetuates the usage of the word in a negative way and allows people to feel more comfortable with racist attitudes in general.
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
April 16 2007 11:01 GMT
#104
On April 16 2007 12:39 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
what I still don't get is in this day and age why should a white man take shit from black comedians and not vice verse? that's no equality between races that's just reverse racism anyway you put it.


Read the Stanley Fish piece carefully. He pretty thoroughly answers this question.
MoltkeWarding
Profile Joined November 2003
5195 Posts
April 16 2007 18:19 GMT
#105
So if a white rapper uses that word in imitation of black sub-culture, he is invoking a different meaning than a black rapper? Is the rapping medium racially partitioned in terms of the words one can use?
Ready2[ESC]
Profile Joined October 2002
Hungary1436 Posts
April 16 2007 18:26 GMT
#106
On April 16 2007 20:01 bine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2007 12:39 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
what I still don't get is in this day and age why should a white man take shit from black comedians and not vice verse? that's no equality between races that's just reverse racism anyway you put it.


Read the Stanley Fish piece carefully. He pretty thoroughly answers this question.


Did you notice that I'm not an american? Neither me nor any of my ancestors "set themselves apart from blacks and claimed privileges for themselves while denying them to others."
So in other words "The hostility of the other group is the result of these actions" is never warranted.
You expect me to take shit in turn of what YOUR ancestors did to blacks? You yourself are racist if you want to group all whites under the same thing eg. to take it on the chin since blacks were treated "unfairly" by them. Guess what? We (as in a lot of white ppl outside the us) did not do that. So when some black comedian talks shit about all whites I will get offended since I have nothing to do with the people who according to you deserve to take this "affirmative action".
--- Nuked ---
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
April 16 2007 20:04 GMT
#107
On April 17 2007 03:26 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2007 20:01 bine wrote:
On April 16 2007 12:39 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
what I still don't get is in this day and age why should a white man take shit from black comedians and not vice verse? that's no equality between races that's just reverse racism anyway you put it.


Read the Stanley Fish piece carefully. He pretty thoroughly answers this question.


Did you notice that I'm not an american? Neither me nor any of my ancestors "set themselves apart from blacks and claimed privileges for themselves while denying them to others."
So in other words "The hostility of the other group is the result of these actions" is never warranted.
You expect me to take shit in turn of what YOUR ancestors did to blacks? You yourself are racist if you want to group all whites under the same thing eg. to take it on the chin since blacks were treated "unfairly" by them. Guess what? We (as in a lot of white ppl outside the us) did not do that. So when some black comedian talks shit about all whites I will get offended since I have nothing to do with the people who according to you deserve to take this "affirmative action".


Much like, and even more so, than calling all Germans nazis. But still I don't make Jew jokes, not in public, and very very rarely around people I know well enough to know they won't get me wrong.

Just because you didn't have anything to do with it, doesn't make it right for you to say whatever you please.

If white people were offended by the word cracker due to some historic events in wherever, you'd still not want black or asian people to call you like this. You'd want them to stop, no matter what they or they ancestors did or never did. It doesn't matter because the word itself is inherently offensive and meant to disturb/insult people.

Although I admit it has lost is meaning pretty much due to it being overused in contemporary music and amongst people who call themselves "players" and stuff.
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
Ready2[ESC]
Profile Joined October 2002
Hungary1436 Posts
April 16 2007 20:17 GMT
#108
On April 17 2007 05:04 Cpt Obvious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2007 03:26 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
On April 16 2007 20:01 bine wrote:
On April 16 2007 12:39 Ready2[ESC] wrote:
what I still don't get is in this day and age why should a white man take shit from black comedians and not vice verse? that's no equality between races that's just reverse racism anyway you put it.


Read the Stanley Fish piece carefully. He pretty thoroughly answers this question.


Did you notice that I'm not an american? Neither me nor any of my ancestors "set themselves apart from blacks and claimed privileges for themselves while denying them to others."
So in other words "The hostility of the other group is the result of these actions" is never warranted.
You expect me to take shit in turn of what YOUR ancestors did to blacks? You yourself are racist if you want to group all whites under the same thing eg. to take it on the chin since blacks were treated "unfairly" by them. Guess what? We (as in a lot of white ppl outside the us) did not do that. So when some black comedian talks shit about all whites I will get offended since I have nothing to do with the people who according to you deserve to take this "affirmative action".


Much like, and even more so, than calling all Germans nazis. But still I don't make Jew jokes, not in public, and very very rarely around people I know well enough to know they won't get me wrong.

Just because you didn't have anything to do with it, doesn't make it right for you to say whatever you please.

If white people were offended by the word cracker due to some historic events in wherever, you'd still not want black or asian people to call you like this. You'd want them to stop, no matter what they or they ancestors did or never did. It doesn't matter because the word itself is inherently offensive and meant to disturb/insult people.

Although I admit it has lost is meaning pretty much due to it being overused in contemporary music and amongst people who call themselves "players" and stuff.


yeah except that my beef was with bine when he implied that when black people joke about whites then it's somehow different and ALL white ppl should stfu because of the crimes they did to them in the past.
He said to read that Stanley dude's essay and I was replying to that.
Whether the black ppl are offended by the n word or not is irrelevant for me because in my country there are basically no black population.
--- Nuked ---
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
April 16 2007 21:58 GMT
#109
I'm sorry I didn't check what country you are from. I really don't have any information about race relations in Hungary, but I apologize for assuming you were North American on the basis of your post.
bine
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States2352 Posts
April 16 2007 22:04 GMT
#110
On April 17 2007 03:19 MoltkeWarding wrote:
So if a white rapper uses that word in imitation of black sub-culture, he is invoking a different meaning than a black rapper? Is the rapping medium racially partitioned in terms of the words one can use?


Yes, of course! If eminem decided that using the N word was a good idea, the word would have drastically different implications than a black rapper using the same word. His meaning would appear to be some strange, referential echo of the black rapper's meaning, and would be, like you said, an imitation. For the black rapper, the word can be used as just a casual suspect for "man" or "dude" or whatever. The rapping medium is partitioned, but not in any different way than the wider verbal discourse that it's a part of. Just as I probably wouldn't feel as uncomfortable with a women constantly talking about bitches, or a gay rapper talking about fags, it's pretty clear that black people use the N word differently than white people do.
MoltkeWarding
Profile Joined November 2003
5195 Posts
April 17 2007 02:22 GMT
#111
On April 17 2007 07:04 bine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2007 03:19 MoltkeWarding wrote:
So if a white rapper uses that word in imitation of black sub-culture, he is invoking a different meaning than a black rapper? Is the rapping medium racially partitioned in terms of the words one can use?


Yes, of course! If eminem decided that using the N word was a good idea, the word would have drastically different implications than a black rapper using the same word. His meaning would appear to be some strange, referential echo of the black rapper's meaning, and would be, like you said, an imitation. For the black rapper, the word can be used as just a casual suspect for "man" or "dude" or whatever. The rapping medium is partitioned, but not in any different way than the wider verbal discourse that it's a part of. Just as I probably wouldn't feel as uncomfortable with a women constantly talking about bitches, or a gay rapper talking about fags, it's pretty clear that black people use the N word differently than white people do.


Hear that everyone? Everyone who tells me to stop bashing Chinamen should now STFU.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
April 17 2007 03:01 GMT
#112
I love Moltke.
Administrator
CoralReefer
Profile Joined June 2004
Canada2069 Posts
April 17 2007 03:28 GMT
#113
motlke's parents must have really beat the chinese out of him when he was a kid...
And this hot potato has vanished into thin air.
QuietIdiot
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
7004 Posts
April 17 2007 08:42 GMT
#114
hahaha
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
April 17 2007 11:39 GMT
#115
LMFAO
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
April 17 2007 13:06 GMT
#116
LOL
Moderator<:3-/-<
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
April 17 2007 15:41 GMT
#117
"Thread derailment in under five posts 101" by Teamliquid.net. -_-*

Ready2Esc: I was not trying to argue with you, I was trying to make a point in the discussion. What I was basically trying to say was, just because you don't find the N word offensive at all, because it has no meaning in your culture or you don't feel guilty in any way, doesn't make it right nor do you have any reason to use it anyway. But maybe that's just me. I don't approve of the word being used by white persons, just as you guys try to justify it. Let's leave it at that.
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
Ready2[ESC]
Profile Joined October 2002
Hungary1436 Posts
April 17 2007 18:59 GMT
#118
On April 18 2007 00:41 Cpt Obvious wrote:
"Thread derailment in under five posts 101" by Teamliquid.net. -_-*

Ready2Esc: I was not trying to argue with you, I was trying to make a point in the discussion. What I was basically trying to say was, just because you don't find the N word offensive at all, because it has no meaning in your culture or you don't feel guilty in any way, doesn't make it right nor do you have any reason to use it anyway. But maybe that's just me. I don't approve of the word being used by white persons, just as you guys try to justify it. Let's leave it at that.


I understand all that but I wasn't arguing this. (reread my posts if you want I'm not gonna repeat myself since I've droped this subject)
I don't care about the N word so I won't use it. In the past I may have said it on a few occasions jokingly but since this word doesn't mean anything to me I might as well stop using it if ppl feel that offended by it.
(Of course this only applies to the forums since as I said there are basically no black ppl to be offended in my country so I could say it as much as I want here.)
--- Nuked ---
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
April 18 2007 05:48 GMT
#119
someone make moltke's avatar a chinese flag
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
April 18 2007 07:27 GMT
#120
AHAHAHA DO IT!
ModeratorGodfather
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings110
davetesta35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft326
ByuN 270
RuFF_SC2 156
ViBE95
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2322
GuemChi 1371
MaD[AoV]228
Sharp 189
910 63
Bale 16
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever368
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 751
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox874
Other Games
summit1g8960
Day[9].tv798
JimRising 598
C9.Mang0350
Trikslyr36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick817
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP56
• EnkiAlexander 53
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo531
Other Games
• Day9tv798
• Shiphtur517
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 25m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.