• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:32
CEST 11:32
KST 18:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6494 users

Naniwa - Thank you

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
MrSusan
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom20 Posts
March 14 2014 15:12 GMT
#1
Intro
Normally I'm not an extrovert person but I was lying in bed last night after reading one of Nani's disheartened tweets and I thought I ought to say thank you to someone who has been an inspiration to me while I still can. The first draft I did for this I had initially written quite a lot but I have decided to condense it to what I think has been most important about Naniwa's career to me thus far.

The first time I watched live competitive starcraft 2 was the TSL (3?) with the finals being Thorzain vs Naniwa, at the time I was having no luck vs T and seeing someone do incredible things I'd never even thought possible blew my mind. Even though Naniwa lost that final you could feel him caring through the game, of course seen through the infamous "chill - out" moment. Ever since then I've followed competitive starcraft but particularly every competitive match of Naniwa's I could find time for.


Following The Story

Since TSL what has been the most impressive thing about Naniwa is his consistency to perform at the highest level, from winning MLG to making serious runs in GSL then on to some of the most heart racing moments at Dreamhack I've ever had the pleasure to witness. The effort put into each game was tangible even to low level players like myself, each game strategically thought-out in advance, he showed he cared so much more than anyone else when he played and that's what makes a starcraft player truly exciting. This can be seen no instance better than if he loses. To draw comparison to another player one can look at Liquid'HerO physically shaking after each loss, similarly Naniwa after losing a (close) final at Dreamhack, was crushed. He made me care and rather than dismiss it as "a good run for a foreigner" it made me even more excited to watch the next tournament he would compete in because he had a legitimate chance to take it and you knew he cared.

Perhaps the most perfect thing about supporting/cheering Naniwa is, in fact, his imperfections. Watching him fight against his nature to speak his mind makes him even more amazing to follow as you can witness a person not only improving in the thing he loves, but improving himself. This makes him a polarising player with two sides, one loving him, one ..not so much. Regardless of which side you happen to fall on one can't argue that he is an important person for game

What I Wanted to Say

So Finally I've gotten to what I wanted to say, simply I just wanted to say thank you to someone who has provided me with so much entertainment and devoting so much to starcraft 2. While I know demuslim and Naniwa don't see eye-to-eye I thought it was admirable and sound advice from demuslim to suggest taking a break for a while and I sincerely hope that is decision Naniwa comes to (or at worst comes back when LOTV comes out). Whatever the decision he makes, if I were to put my selfish wishes aside, I want Naniwa to pursue something that he enjoys because, after putting in so much effort, he deserves it.

To end on a quote from Liquid'HerO's twitter (not the most profound source but I think very apt): "just enjoy"

Thank you Naniwa

Maybe other people have players that they follow and have really been moved by them so let them know while you can.
spiderman
Sealo
Profile Joined August 2012
Germany10 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-14 15:30:10
March 14 2014 15:22 GMT
#2
I couldn't agree more with the idea of this. Give the players more credit for beeing awsome personalities.

I am a great fanboy of the 2 kings of the north and the TSL3 Final game between Thorzain and Nani is one of my best memories of Starcraft!

GOGO NANI
suddendeathTV
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden388 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-14 15:32:16
March 14 2014 15:26 GMT
#3
I agree. I get heartbroken every time I watch that video when NaNiwa loses at Dreamhack and walks away on his own, with noone cheering him up or anything. I hope people are there to support him in dark times like these. I sincerely hope he finds his motivation again, perhaps by the 10'000 screaming people in the audience of IEM.

Thank you NaNiwa for all the entertainment you've given us. I hope it isn't over yet!
Information is everything
InFluenza
Profile Joined January 2014
Netherlands55 Posts
March 14 2014 15:28 GMT
#4
I remember the first time I saw him playing at a big tournament. He did well back then, and stayed on a high level ever since.

And after some time I came to the conclusion that we need more controversial people like Naniwa in the (mostly) boring esport scene. People like him make it fun to watch for people who want to learn from watching those games aswell as people who just watch for fun.

Gl in what comes next Naniwa.
Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
sitromit
Profile Joined June 2011
7051 Posts
March 14 2014 15:33 GMT
#5
Isn't this what fan clubs are for?
Siggen
Profile Joined November 2011
143 Posts
March 14 2014 15:35 GMT
#6
I have to agree with everytihing here. I've been so impressed with Naniwa over the years. The way he have planned out all of his games and beat so many koreans. His dedication have always been unquestionable. Thank you for all you've done Nani!
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
March 14 2014 15:50 GMT
#7
When I first read the title, I thought Naniwa was thanking the fan and I thought that was sweet lol. I was disappointed to see that it wasn't the case XD

On March 15 2014 00:33 sitromit wrote:
Isn't this what fan clubs are for?

pretty much this or blogs, not that there's anything with thanking a player.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Nerchio
Profile Joined October 2009
Poland2633 Posts
March 14 2014 15:58 GMT
#8
Thank you naniwa hehehe
Progamer"I am the best" - Nerchio , 2017.
VieuxSinge
Profile Joined February 2011
France231 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-14 16:02:18
March 14 2014 16:02 GMT
#9
Naniwa basically saying "I don't even want to try" to everyone's face in IEM right now.

Not what I call sportmanship...

lol@Nerchio up my post
Another clue to my existence.
IPA
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3206 Posts
March 14 2014 16:04 GMT
#10
This feels bloggish. Strike that, this is bloggish.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
March 14 2014 16:05 GMT
#11
On March 15 2014 00:58 Nerchio wrote:
Thank you naniwa hehehe

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I sincerely hope its not.
User was warned for too many mimes.
las91
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States5080 Posts
March 14 2014 16:08 GMT
#12
On March 15 2014 01:05 docvoc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2014 00:58 Nerchio wrote:
Thank you naniwa hehehe

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I sincerely hope its not.


It's Nerchio, what do you think it is?
In Inca we trust
AxiomBlurr
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
786 Posts
March 14 2014 16:09 GMT
#13
Apocalyptic end to a great career...Best of luck
sitromit
Profile Joined June 2011
7051 Posts
March 14 2014 16:09 GMT
#14
I was more a fan of the way the Polish crowd thanked him.
suddendeathTV
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden388 Posts
March 14 2014 16:11 GMT
#15
You don't boo a player off stage, no matter what. Not nice, Polish fans.
Information is everything
Nirel
Profile Joined September 2011
Israel1526 Posts
March 14 2014 16:13 GMT
#16
On March 15 2014 01:05 docvoc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2014 00:58 Nerchio wrote:
Thank you naniwa hehehe

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I sincerely hope its not.

I think the "hehehe" kinda tells... I don't think our community's thank is needed, he played for himself and had a lot of success, he never considered the fans and acted passive aggressive on many occasions like today.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-14 16:14:45
March 14 2014 16:13 GMT
#17
On March 15 2014 01:11 sd_andeh wrote:
You don't boo a player off stage, no matter what. Not nice, Polish fans.

Honestly, I've never seen booing more fitting than here.

He pissed off the fans.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
March 14 2014 16:13 GMT
#18
On March 15 2014 01:11 sd_andeh wrote:
You don't boo a player off stage, no matter what. Not nice, Polish fans.

That wasn't enough imo
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Anvil666
Profile Joined October 2007
Germany122 Posts
March 14 2014 16:13 GMT
#19
Oh god that was shameful. He could've at least played the games instead of blaming some made-up issues. Not the way of a champion.
Nirel
Profile Joined September 2011
Israel1526 Posts
March 14 2014 16:15 GMT
#20
On March 15 2014 01:11 sd_andeh wrote:
You don't boo a player off stage, no matter what. Not nice, Polish fans.

Naniwa is the one at fault here, He just exploited his invitation for a free hotel. If he had any manners he would've conceded his invitation.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1382
Bisu 961
Soma 436
EffOrt 179
hero 174
Pusan 106
HiyA 82
ZerO 49
sorry 40
Killer 38
[ Show more ]
soO 35
Bale 26
Rush 24
Mong 23
Shinee 21
Sharp 18
Terrorterran 11
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Counter-Strike
edward57
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft824
crisheroes651
Other Games
gofns52331
olofmeister1243
singsing1141
ceh9565
Livibee213
Pyrionflax140
ArmadaUGS35
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream557
Other Games
gamesdonequick524
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 18
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 35
• LUISG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2369
League of Legends
• Jankos1551
• Rush1497
• Stunt392
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
28m
Afreeca Starleague
28m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 28m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.