• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:23
CEST 04:23
KST 11:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6027 users

Chess challenge: - Page 8

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
One Page Memory
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Bulgaria2145 Posts
July 27 2006 17:52 GMT
#141
On July 27 2006 20:58 NeoTheAKA wrote:
Out of the six of you I've played, winning has been about as difficult as figuring out what to do after 1.g4 e5; 2. f3.

If perhaps there is actually another Starcraft player inherently good enough at chess to beat this one, I'll still be playing often for the next two months.


Me, but not on Yahoo! for obvious reasons.
Playchess.com is very good IMHO, but I can install ICC if you insist.
Jin Youngsoo before game with Savior: But, I demanded myself (of composure) by saying: Same old, same old - only a Zerg, only a Zerg
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-27 22:04:33
July 27 2006 21:46 GMT
#142
On July 27 2006 20:58 NeoTheAKA wrote:
Out of the six of you I've played, winning has been about as difficult as figuring out what to do after 1.g4 e5; 2. f3.

If perhaps there is actually another Starcraft player inherently good enough at chess to beat this one, I'll still be playing often for the next two months.

I'd sooner smash a chessboard over your head than play you on one after having seen the posts you made here.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
woden[FICS]
Profile Joined June 2003
American Samoa112 Posts
July 27 2006 21:46 GMT
#143
why don't you copy paste some moves of those easy games so we can all see them?
maoam
Profile Joined June 2006
United Kingdom444 Posts
July 28 2006 03:02 GMT
#144
On July 27 2006 20:58 NeoTheAKA wrote:
If perhaps there is actually another Starcraft player inherently good enough at chess to beat this one, I'll still be playing often for the next two months.


I'm going to mail Kramnik my Broodwar CD, you cock.
I oink therefore I ham.
goldrush
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Canada709 Posts
July 28 2006 04:26 GMT
#145
NeotheAKA, just shut up. Back up your claims with the game scores; if not, why the hell should we believe you?

One Page Memory, if you ever manage to plan a game against the idiot (somehow, I doubt it); he's gonna dodge against everyone with a decent rating), PM me with the time/chess server you'll be playing on. I'll try my best to watch.
UT-atma
Profile Joined October 2005
54 Posts
July 28 2006 04:31 GMT
#146
Is this guy still around? I will gladly watch the game too.
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
July 28 2006 04:38 GMT
#147
On July 27 2006 20:58 NeoTheAKA wrote:
Out of the six of you I've played, winning has been about as difficult as figuring out what to do after 1.g4 e5; 2. f3.


Best thing I've read on this website...ever.

I laughed so hard that I actually vomited a little bit in my mouth...a little bit.
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
googlebot
Profile Joined July 2006
Denmark4 Posts
July 28 2006 05:05 GMT
#148
You so smart = solve this = 4 moves by black:

1. f2-f3 ?
2. Ke1-f2 ?
3. Kf2-g3 ?
4. Kg3-h4 ? mate

maoam
Profile Joined June 2006
United Kingdom444 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-28 05:28:50
July 28 2006 05:27 GMT
#149
I love helpmates. That one was posed by John Nunn on chessbase.com a while ago, right? I was so proud when I got the solution to it!
I oink therefore I ham.
woden[FICS]
Profile Joined June 2003
American Samoa112 Posts
July 28 2006 05:32 GMT
#150
id love to play this guy
1900+ yahoo, he claims, fucking hilarious

first off, anyone saying they are 1900+ usually means they just reached 1900 and finally can call themselves "1900+". 1900 is nothing to brag about on any server, least of all YAHOO. Yahoo is far and wide known to be the weakest of all the online chess servers. a 1900 at yahoo is probably equivalent to a 1700 at FICS or ICC.

Yahoo chess is a joke. There might be a few actual decent players that play there, but most have probably long fled to the real chess servers out there. Yahoo has tons of abuse; they have no timestamp, people can abandon games they are losing and get no penalty for it, not even a loss! Every other decent server has measures in place to prevent that, saving adjourned games, etc. There is rampant computer cheating there and nothing in place to curb it or stop it in any way whatsoever.

P.S. anyone who refuses to play low time controls, (such as 5 min games online) is either a really old man, a fish, or a computer cheater. I am not saying that every good player has to be able to play fast games online, but refusing to do so is suspect of foul play. That is WHY grandmasters and other titled players play so many fast games online, BECAUSE you dont have enough time to let a computer make the moves and transcribe them into the console.
googlebot
Profile Joined July 2006
Denmark4 Posts
July 28 2006 05:39 GMT
#151
a "street" chess player showed it to me after we played a couple of games 5 years ago... its a beauty...
maoam
Profile Joined June 2006
United Kingdom444 Posts
July 28 2006 05:42 GMT
#152
Well, GMs normally play blitz because standard time controls are what they play all the time. It's too much like taking your work home with you.
I oink therefore I ham.
One Page Memory
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Bulgaria2145 Posts
July 28 2006 06:50 GMT
#153
Still not a sign of NeoTheAKA. I am ready to play.
Jin Youngsoo before game with Savior: But, I demanded myself (of composure) by saying: Same old, same old - only a Zerg, only a Zerg
Sr18
Profile Joined April 2006
Netherlands1141 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-28 07:04:32
July 28 2006 07:04 GMT
#154
On July 28 2006 14:05 googlebot wrote:
You so smart = solve this = 4 moves by black:

1. f2-f3 ?
2. Ke1-f2 ?
3. Kf2-g3 ?
4. Kg3-h4 ? mate



I'm not sure if my solution is allowed, quite new to these type of puzzles.

+ Show Spoiler +

1. f3-e5
2. Kf2-Qf6
3. Kg3-Qxf3+(?)
4. Kh4-Be7++
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Park Yeong Min - CJ fighting!
UT-atma
Profile Joined October 2005
54 Posts
July 28 2006 07:14 GMT
#155
For lovers of chessproblems:

Black always makes a move symmetric to whites move.
(if 1. d4 then 1. ... d5, if 2. Sc3 then 2. ... Sc6, if 3. Lf4 then 3. ... Lf5 and so on)
How many moves does white need to mate black?

intrigue
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Washington, D.C9935 Posts
July 28 2006 07:17 GMT
#156
On July 28 2006 06:46 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2006 20:58 NeoTheAKA wrote:
Out of the six of you I've played, winning has been about as difficult as figuring out what to do after 1.g4 e5; 2. f3.

If perhaps there is actually another Starcraft player inherently good enough at chess to beat this one, I'll still be playing often for the next two months.

I'd sooner smash a chessboard over your head than play you on one after having seen the posts you made here.


i know, really
the guy's a total tool =(
Moderatorsloppy little slug
Sr18
Profile Joined April 2006
Netherlands1141 Posts
July 28 2006 07:41 GMT
#157
On July 28 2006 16:14 UT-atma wrote:
For lovers of chessproblems:

Black always makes a move symmetric to whites move.
(if 1. d4 then 1. ... d5, if 2. Sc3 then 2. ... Sc6, if 3. Lf4 then 3. ... Lf5 and so on)
How many moves does white need to mate black?



I managed six. Can it be done faster? It seems too slow :-(.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Park Yeong Min - CJ fighting!
One Page Memory
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Bulgaria2145 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-28 08:36:25
July 28 2006 08:09 GMT
#158
On July 28 2006 16:41 Sr18 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2006 16:14 UT-atma wrote:
For lovers of chessproblems:

Black always makes a move symmetric to whites move.
(if 1. d4 then 1. ... d5, if 2. Sc3 then 2. ... Sc6, if 3. Lf4 then 3. ... Lf5 and so on)
How many moves does white need to mate black?



I managed six. Can it be done faster? It seems too slow :-(.


It is slow in fact. I found 2 solutions with 4 moves.
+ Show Spoiler +

1. c2-c4 c7-c6
2. Qd1-a4 Qd8-a5
3. Qa4-c6 Qa5-c3
4. Qc6:c8 X
Other solution - use your mind!

Edit: Ok, I am sure this is the most edited opinion for this year!
Here is an upgraded variant of this puzzle:
Still both sides makes symmetrical moves. White must force mate to their own king. How many moves needed?
Also its interesting to solve the original problem with all the pieces.
Here is what I found for the mate with the mighty Rook:
+ Show Spoiler +

1. g2-g4 g7-g5
2. Bf1-g2 Bf8-g7
3. Bg2-e4 Bg7-e4
4. h2-h4 h7-h5
5. h4:g5 h5:g4
6. Ng1-f3 Ng8-f6
7. Nf3-h4 Nf6-h5
8. Nh4-g2 Nh5-g7
9. Rh1:h8 X

Jin Youngsoo before game with Savior: But, I demanded myself (of composure) by saying: Same old, same old - only a Zerg, only a Zerg
Sr18
Profile Joined April 2006
Netherlands1141 Posts
July 28 2006 08:23 GMT
#159
:-(. I'm such a patzer.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't Park Yeong Min - CJ fighting!
ChoboCop
Profile Joined July 2004
United States954 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-28 13:50:21
July 28 2006 13:32 GMT
#160
I'm undefeated against TL.net and B.net east competition. The best player I have found was wesjones86(aim) an east x17'er that doesn't post on tl.net. Kdog3682 and Frost(TE) are fun guys to play with.
AIM: harshskills
ICC: JBlaze
NeoTheAKA is a complete jackass, he aim'd me to play and I told him to fuckoff. Shortly thereafter I got a different aim from someone asking me to play but they wouldn't tell me their tl.net handle. It was obviously Neo smurfing.
Here is the game:
[Event "ICC 20 0 u"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Date "2006.07.27"]
[Round "-"]
[White "guest3451"]
[Black "JBlaze"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ICCResult "White checkmated"]
[BlackElo "1814"]
[Opening "Scandinavian defense"]
[ECO "B01"]
[NIC "SD.03"]
[Time "17:21:31"]
[TimeControl "1200+0"]

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. Nc3 e6 4. dxe6 Bxe6 5. d3 Bb4 6. Bd2 Nc6 7. Nf3 Qe7
8. Be2 O-O-O 9. O-O h6 10. a3 Bd6 11. b4 g5 12. b5 Ne5 13. Ne4 Nxe4 14. dxe4
Ng4 15. Qc1 f6 16. a4 h5 17. a5 h4 18. h3 Ne5 19. b6 a6 20. bxc7 Bxc7 21.
Rb1 g4 22. Nxe5 Bxe5 23. Bf4 gxh3 24. Bxe5 fxe5 25. Qe3 hxg2 26. Rfe1 h3 27.
Kh2 Rdg8 28. Qa7 g1=Q+ 29. Rxg1 Rg2+ 30. Rxg2 hxg2+ 31. Kxg2 Qg5+ 32. Bg4
Qxg4+ 33. Kf1 Rh1# {White checkmated} 0-1
Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings168
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 208
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 232
Terrorterran 24
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm203
League of Legends
Doublelift5726
JimRising 720
Counter-Strike
taco 241
minikerr35
Other Games
summit1g13225
C9.Mang0412
PiLiPiLi16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1165
BasetradeTV198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP182
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 37m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 37m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 37m
Replay Cast
20h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.