• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:33
CEST 00:33
KST 07:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8596 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 5

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 56 57 58 Next
Inquisitor
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada253 Posts
January 02 2012 04:47 GMT
#81
[image loading]
Bobbias
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada1373 Posts
January 02 2012 05:28 GMT
#82
On January 02 2012 02:03 Mereel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2012 22:17 Malinor wrote:
[image loading]

Fifth book in this ten book series. Sometimes there is just too many mysterious, old and/or powerful creatures in these books, which all seem to be able to single-handedly to destroy the world(s), but besides that flaw, these books are extremely well written and a pleasure to read. I am in for the ride for the next ~6000-7000pages.


lol am also at this exact book right now


I'm currently reading the final book in the series. I actually read many of the books out of order (Grabbed Memories of Ice and read it first, lol) but because of the way he writes, other than not knowing who the hell some people were, it wasn't as bad as jumping in the middle of something like say, ASoIaF...

I think what drew me to his writing was that his worlds seem so alive. There's always shit going on in the background that you as a reader never hear about till something crazy starts affecting the characters, there's always so much going on at the same time.

Plus, he always manages to surprise me by throwing some sort of crazy twist into things. And the fact that basically all of his books are 1200-1300 pages each is nice too (if someone started publishing fantasy novels that were 2000-3000 pages each I would be really happy.... 1300 pages just isn't enough for me any more lol)
Thermia
Profile Joined August 2010
United States866 Posts
January 02 2012 05:47 GMT
#83
On January 02 2012 14:28 Bobbias wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2012 02:03 Mereel wrote:
On January 01 2012 22:17 Malinor wrote:
[image loading]

Fifth book in this ten book series. Sometimes there is just too many mysterious, old and/or powerful creatures in these books, which all seem to be able to single-handedly to destroy the world(s), but besides that flaw, these books are extremely well written and a pleasure to read. I am in for the ride for the next ~6000-7000pages.


lol am also at this exact book right now


I'm currently reading the final book in the series. I actually read many of the books out of order (Grabbed Memories of Ice and read it first, lol) but because of the way he writes, other than not knowing who the hell some people were, it wasn't as bad as jumping in the middle of something like say, ASoIaF...

I think what drew me to his writing was that his worlds seem so alive. There's always shit going on in the background that you as a reader never hear about till something crazy starts affecting the characters, there's always so much going on at the same time.

Plus, he always manages to surprise me by throwing some sort of crazy twist into things. And the fact that basically all of his books are 1200-1300 pages each is nice too (if someone started publishing fantasy novels that were 2000-3000 pages each I would be really happy.... 1300 pages just isn't enough for me any more lol)


On my 3rd read-through of the series... I just wish there weren't so many ends not tied up in the main storyline :x
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling. IGN: Mierin
sviatoslavrichter
Profile Joined January 2012
United States164 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 05:56:06
January 02 2012 05:55 GMT
#84
[image loading]


Red Army, by Ralph Peters. 1989 book written about a hypothetical ground war between Warsaw Pact and NATO on the North German Plain. Surprisingly in-depth characterizations for a war novel, also one of the few English-language war novels written from the perspective of the Russian side.
It is easy to lead a successful life, but hard to lead a meaningful one.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 05:55:59
January 02 2012 05:55 GMT
#85
Metro 2033
A Song of Ice and Fire

The first is much better than I thought it would be.
AcrossFiveJulys
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States3612 Posts
January 02 2012 05:56 GMT
#86
[image loading]

Such a good read. It's not exactly light reading, but not heavy reading either. Basically constructs a mathematical interpretation of consciousness, and helps the reader understand the construction by comparing it to art, and music. Along the way the author surveys many interesting topics and history in math, art, music, and philosophy.
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
January 02 2012 05:59 GMT
#87
Recently finished:
[image loading]

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm looking for some other good books to read, particularly scifi in space sort of style.
Write your own song!
Xeteh
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States589 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 06:03:53
January 02 2012 06:01 GMT
#88
On January 02 2012 00:14 ThreeAcross wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2012 19:07 Xeteh wrote:
[image loading]

I initially picked up the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson when I was in need of something to read. Turned out I loved the world he created in that trilogy (as well as the way-to-short 4th book). So after reading those books I decided I had to read everything he wrote. I've finish Elantris and I'm around 40% of the way through this one. So far it isn't my favorite and I've found it to be a bit slow on the start but it is still very well written. I'm a huge fan of his and look forward to future books.


I am actually reading the fourth book right now, just haven't had a lot of time. I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy and would recommend it to anyone.


Awesome! A buddy of mine and I talk about books every now and then and I told him about Mistborn and now he's on the 4th book as well, its a great read.


On January 02 2012 01:59 teknomage wrote:

I've read the three first and loved them but reading the plot thingie about the fourth didn't sound too good to me. Maybe I'll pick it up at a later point. Heard some good about it anyway. Hope I'm just wrong.


Definitely do. The Alloy of Law is a quick read compared to the trilogy since its about half the length... but the story is great. From what I read he plans on writing two other trilogies for Mistborn but each takes place in a different period, I think it could be really interesting.
Vilonis
Profile Joined October 2010
United States130 Posts
January 02 2012 06:20 GMT
#89
Currently reading A Clash of Kings (You have seen the picture enough times)

Our class was assigned to read The Omnivore's Dilemma. I didn't read it, only skimmed it to answer the questions on the test, but it seemed pretty good so I am going to finish that as well.

Daemon (and most of the books that people bought of amazon with that book) looks really interesting. I think I will order one or two and read those as well. Happy reading TL!
"Such is the vastness of his genius that he can outwit even himself!" - Iskaral Pust, High Priest of High House Shadow
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 07:42:15
January 02 2012 07:41 GMT
#90
Re-reading the new jedi order for the many times :D. Love the series .


Which this is the first book http://www.theforce.net/books/images/vector-prime.gif
When I think of something else, something will go here
Caphe
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Vietnam10817 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 11:25:10
January 02 2012 11:24 GMT
#91
Just got a Kindle Fire and currently reading " A song of Ice and Fire: Book 2" and the Agatha Christie Classic.
[image loading]
All are e-book ofc.
Terran
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
January 02 2012 15:33 GMT
#92
[image loading]
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
EdaPoe
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands82 Posts
January 02 2012 15:46 GMT
#93
[image loading]
and
[image loading]
weareallclowns
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Denmark113 Posts
January 02 2012 15:50 GMT
#94
On January 02 2012 14:59 mastergriggy wrote:
Recently finished:
[image loading]

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm looking for some other good books to read, particularly scifi in space sort of style.

I contributed with William Gibsons Neuromancer earlier. It's a really good book, winner of the hugo, nebula and Philip K. Dick awards, and was the main source of inspiration for the matrix. It's set in a not too distant future, and Gibson coined the term cyberspace therein, if this sparks any enthusiasm. I recently finished the Void trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, which was pretty cool, too.
we are all co-authoring a gigantic Dostoevsky novel, starring clowns! - T. Levitch
xrapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1644 Posts
January 02 2012 16:04 GMT
#95
Been trying to read
[image loading]
over the past month, but it is just so so soo bad. I think I'm done with the series. The first 3 books were great, but a Feast for Crows and now A Dance with Dragons are just so boring and slow that I fear this will become another Wheel of Time Series.
Everyone is either delusional, a nihlilst, or dead from suicide.
Kontys
Profile Joined October 2011
Finland659 Posts
January 02 2012 16:06 GMT
#96
Bertrand Russell - Human Knowledge for semi-academic reasons.

Considering reading

[image loading]

Loved Abnett for a long time. Had no access to a bookstore carrying this brand for years, and then lost interest... recently discovered The Saint - omnibus on the shelves of a Fantasiapelit shop in Helsinki and devoured it.

Will read any Dexters that cross my field of vision, but they keep not turning up in bookstores near me.
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-03 12:36:30
January 02 2012 16:46 GMT
#97
[image loading]

Because it has only recently been translated into German.

And because - unlike Murakami Haruki - she doesn't cease to amaze me even after having read all she wrote.

btw, it's Yoko Ogawa's 寡黙な死骸みだらな弔い.
Always smile~
Asha
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom38257 Posts
January 02 2012 16:49 GMT
#98
[image loading]

[image loading]
Irratonalys
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany902 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 16:54:24
January 02 2012 16:53 GMT
#99
@Kontys

wow , you really missed out, in my oppinion , "Only in Death" (Gaunts Ghosts 11) is Dan Abnetts best book so far (Yes , that includes Eisenhorn) , and "the Lost" storyarc beats "The Saint" by a mile. enjoy.
The futures uncertain , but the end is always near
TrickyGilligan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States641 Posts
January 02 2012 17:12 GMT
#100
Just read:

Black comedy set in India. Interesting and quick to read, but pretty dark.
[image loading]

Currently reading:

Might have to go back to classic sci-fi, this shit is blowing my mind.
[image loading]

Also, I've been working on this for ages. Will finish it... eventually.
[image loading]

Next read:


I highly recommend this flowchart for any sci-fi/fantasy fans looking for something new to read. Currently at 53/100, my goal is to do all 100 at some point.
[image loading]
NPR's Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Flowchart
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 56 57 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 121
ViBE71
CosmosSc2 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 585
Artosis 360
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever483
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS103
PPMD40
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
Liquid`Hasu1457
Other Games
summit1g8029
shahzam528
byalli379
C9.Mang0219
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream168
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 27m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 27m
Stellar Fest
14h 27m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.