• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:42
CEST 16:42
KST 23:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8156 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 13

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 58 Next
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
January 11 2012 23:21 GMT
#241
War and Peace & The Four Brothers Karamazov.
kiss kiss fall in love
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
January 11 2012 23:30 GMT
#242
[image loading]
miercat
Profile Joined November 2011
394 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 01:31:23
January 12 2012 00:51 GMT
#243
On January 12 2012 03:56 Alby8528 wrote:
J+ Show Spoiler +
ust read:
[image loading]
I was a fan of the original shannara trilogy so I decided to get the prequel. I must say its a really good book. I recommend it for those who like fantasy books

currently reading:
[image loading]
my friend just threw it at me and told me to read and since I have nothing to do at the moment I decided to read, I'm half way through it and its a pretty interesting

will read next:
[image loading]
I was reading up on the wheel of time series and it looks like a an interesting series to read, after my current book, I'm gonna grab the first volume and read on


There was a prequel written for the Wheel of Time series (The Eye of the World being the first book in the series), titled New Spring; 3 prequels were planned, however this is the only one which has been currently published; in chronological order, "New Spring" is the 2nd of the 3.

I am currently reading "Towers of Midnight (among other books)," 13th book (out of 14) in The Wheel of Time series. Recommended for fans of the style. My only complaint: the series is too short. I became aware of/started reading, the whole series in the past few months (even though publishing began in 1990), and tried to pace myself to an extent, but I seem to read too fast.
miercat
Profile Joined November 2011
394 Posts
January 12 2012 01:03 GMT
#244
On January 02 2012 00:39 kef wrote:
[image loading]
kinda picked this one up on a whim, it's actually quite good. I'm usually into more space opera sci-fi and deeper topics, but it's a good quick read.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
This is also a pretty good look at the thought processes behind different the different skill levels of players, I'm actually (according to this) much better at chess than I thought, though I've never been rated


Would you recommend any other books/series, space opera sci fi or otherwise? Comprehensive list is fine.
miercat
Profile Joined November 2011
394 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 01:10:14
January 12 2012 01:08 GMT
#245
On January 09 2012 13:03 Kurr wrote:
I am now on my 12th book in the past 2 weeks. About a book a day.

Reading R.A Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books. I'm reading them in order, so I read the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf Trilogies, then the Cleric Quintet.

I've started the 12th book, first in The Legacy of the Drow and I'm about 3/4 done.


However, university is starting again tomorrow so I'll be slowing down a ton.


I read an unknown number of the Forgotten Realms books in my distant past. Would you recommend any books?
Bongy
Profile Joined May 2011
Denmark151 Posts
January 12 2012 01:09 GMT
#246
On January 11 2012 14:45 teknomage wrote:
[image loading]

Trying to get into this series. Having a hard time so far. Just not the type of book I usually read. Not going to give up though. Heard it is good so got to give it a fair chance.




Show nested quote +
On January 10 2012 01:28 sa8095 wrote:
[image loading]

Awesome books with some great characters


I have to agree with this one. Really enjoyed these. The first in "The Lightbringer" series was ok too but can't compare to "The Night Angel" series.


The first book isn't very good imo, but fortunately short. After that, though, the series picks up in a big way! Keep at it!
http://myhah.net/
mmp
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2130 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 01:28:46
January 12 2012 01:19 GMT
#247
Currently reading, depending on my mood:
  • A Feast for Crows
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (reread)
  • The Old Testament
  • Caesar's Commentaries of the Civil War
  • Hamlet (reread)

Also, The Elements of Style
I (λ (foo) (and (<3 foo) ( T_T foo) (RAGE foo) )) Starcraft
Kimaker
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2131 Posts
January 12 2012 01:23 GMT
#248
On January 12 2012 10:09 Bongy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 14:45 teknomage wrote:
[image loading]

Trying to get into this series. Having a hard time so far. Just not the type of book I usually read. Not going to give up though. Heard it is good so got to give it a fair chance.




On January 10 2012 01:28 sa8095 wrote:
[image loading]

Awesome books with some great characters


I have to agree with this one. Really enjoyed these. The first in "The Lightbringer" series was ok too but can't compare to "The Night Angel" series.


The first book isn't very good imo, but fortunately short. After that, though, the series picks up in a big way! Keep at it!

You crazy. First book was the best. They started to go to crap around Wolves of the Calla. Got more contrived, predictable, and less dark. But, inevitably, it was all worth it for the last book ^_^
Entusman #54 (-_-) ||"Gold is for the Mistress-Silver for the Maid-Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall, But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all|| "Optimism is Cowardice."- Oswald Spengler
BananaMann
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom32 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 01:35:05
January 12 2012 01:33 GMT
#249
[image loading]

[image loading]
Don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can stand, don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie, don't lye when you can sleep.
SafeWord
Profile Joined February 2010
United States522 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 02:11:00
January 12 2012 02:10 GMT
#250
On January 12 2012 10:23 Kimaker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 10:09 Bongy wrote:
On January 11 2012 14:45 teknomage wrote:
[image loading]

Trying to get into this series. Having a hard time so far. Just not the type of book I usually read. Not going to give up though. Heard it is good so got to give it a fair chance.




On January 10 2012 01:28 sa8095 wrote:
[image loading]

Awesome books with some great characters


I have to agree with this one. Really enjoyed these. The first in "The Lightbringer" series was ok too but can't compare to "The Night Angel" series.


The first book isn't very good imo, but fortunately short. After that, though, the series picks up in a big way! Keep at it!

You crazy. First book was the best. They started to go to crap around Wolves of the Calla. Got more contrived, predictable, and less dark. But, inevitably, it was all worth it for the last book ^_^


The Wasteland was my favorite out of all of them!!!!! Then the Drawing of the Three :D. I had to re-read the first book for some reason it was just not "clicking" with me.
Who needs players when you have God?
RonNation
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States385 Posts
January 12 2012 05:47 GMT
#251
Hyperion series for the 1st time
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
January 12 2012 07:02 GMT
#252
=| 13 pages and barely any explanations. I really don't think a thread is helpful if it's just a bunch of pictures... I look at 95% of the books and I have NO idea what it's about; whether it's a novel or autobiography or research or what. kinda sucks.

Anyway I just finished reading The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin, as recommended by Day[9]. I thought it was a good book for sports competitors. It talks about things that aren't really found in other ares of life, like recovery, dealing with certain competitors, discovering strategy. It offers a good amount of life lessons as well, like losing to win, getting in the zone, getting yourself pumped. I've heard Blink is a good book as some people here are reading, might give that a go(although to be honest I have no idea what it's about)
miercat
Profile Joined November 2011
394 Posts
January 12 2012 19:28 GMT
#253
On January 12 2012 16:02 phiinix wrote:
=| 13 pages and barely any explanations. I really don't think a thread is helpful if it's just a bunch of pictures... I look at 95% of the books and I have NO idea what it's about; whether it's a novel or autobiography or research or what. kinda sucks.

Anyway I just finished reading The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin, as recommended by Day[9]. I thought it was a good book for sports competitors. It talks about things that aren't really found in other ares of life, like recovery, dealing with certain competitors, discovering strategy. It offers a good amount of life lessons as well, like losing to win, getting in the zone, getting yourself pumped. I've heard Blink is a good book as some people here are reading, might give that a go(although to be honest I have no idea what it's about)


Yea, I just pretty much researched all the books in the thread. Sometimes its good to conduct independent research, because I don't really trust people in general to evaluate books in a sufficiently objective way, and there is the issue of spoilers, to whatever degree. The Waitzkin book seems interesting based on your description; I will plan to check it out at some point.

I read Blink a few years ago; it is about, the value/utility of automatic, quick, subconscious cognitive processing, in contrast to conscious cognitive thought - with regards to dealing with various problems/information processing. It was a massive disappointment to me, as was Gladwell's other book, "Freakonomics." I learned hardly anything from either book (I have a background in psychology and economics so this may be a key factor). Pick up a first year economics or psychology textbook and essentially all the same concepts are covered, except Gladwell uses an inferior type of anecdotal method (scientific method seems absent, but then again, he is explaining concepts that have been around for years) to prove his points, which is unconvincing and appears highly contrived. That being said, if you are not familiar with the material/concepts related to basic psychology and economics, then his books may provide an easier and more enjoyable way to become familiar the topics.
CCitrus
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada164 Posts
January 12 2012 19:30 GMT
#254
[image loading]
Pellucidity
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Netherlands377 Posts
January 12 2012 19:33 GMT
#255
Just started reading "The Playbook" for fun. I love HIMYM.
[image loading]

P.s. Already read the Bro Code. Who wants to be my bro? I'm so good at it you guys.
"NO MUCH. WHY ARE YOUR SCARABS SO STUPID" - Tasteless
Geisterkarle
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Germany3257 Posts
January 12 2012 21:03 GMT
#256
[image loading]

When I was looking for a picture i found this out: "It won the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 2005"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camouflage_(novel)
(short plot there)

... well the book is quite nice and the story is quite entertaining, but the ending was sooooo abrupt! There could have been much more action!
Don't know what books where from 2005 so this book deserves this praise, but oh well... give it a try if you like some low-SciFi
There can only be one Geisterkarle
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
January 12 2012 21:15 GMT
#257
Manga >.>


But aside from that, I'm starting two series, Jim Butcher's Codex Alera and George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, both of which come recommended.

And waiting on Cold Days. Damn you Butcher!
It's your boy Guzma!
Tuba
Profile Joined June 2011
United States45 Posts
January 12 2012 21:47 GMT
#258
I read a lot of books, mostly silly stories to keep me happy.
Currently I'm reading:
[image loading]
Salem's Lot by Stephen King. My great grandpa was a huge Stephen King fan, so I've started reading a few of his books my grandpa really enjoyed. I just started this one the other night, and so far it really has me drawn in. From the first few pages I feel like the mood of the story is really set, and as it's going along, the little happenings in the story are gradually raising the creepy meter. If it keeps it up I imagine the ending will have me properly terrified.
As for the plot itself..it generally focuses on a writer by the name of Ben Mears who travels back to a small town he lived in briefly during his childhood, and where he now plans to write his new novel. Ben has a strange obsession with the local haunted house, Marsten House, mostly stemming from a traumatic childhood experience after venturing inside. As the story goes along, and a new owner moves into the Marsten House.. strange things begin to happen in the small town that raises questions concerning evil. Since this book has been around for ages, I know that eventually it will be revealed that the bad guy is a vampire.. but so far this book is not like any other vampire novel I've read before, and it's pretty entertaining for me.

On the side I am studying:
[image loading]
Constructive Anatomy - George B. Bridgman
It's basically as the title suggestions. An art guide to constructive anatomy by one of my favorite artists. For those of you interested in drawing I highly recommend his book, as well as anything by Andrew Loomis.
Zren89
Profile Joined February 2011
United States131 Posts
January 13 2012 21:00 GMT
#259
On January 03 2012 02:12 TrickyGilligan wrote:
Just read:


I highly recommend this flowchart for any sci-fi/fantasy fans looking for something new to read. Currently at 53/100, my goal is to do all 100 at some point.
[image loading]
NPR's Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Flowchart


They have Zelazny's Amber, this is a good flowchart.

I am disappointed by that flow chart, they don't have a single book by Guy Gavriel Kay in the fantasy portion very
you can't get mad at basketball cause you think kobe bryant is a horrible person. you don't see basketball forums with "kobe bryant is killing basketball!". it doesn't work like that, how the SC2 community made that connection is beyond me. ~Yoduh
PhilleeC
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States46 Posts
January 13 2012 21:05 GMT
#260
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 12 2012 03:43 FinnGamer wrote:
I preordered this:
[image loading]
And it will arrive tomorrow, I'm so excited to read it



This.
NERDFIGHTERS!
"WHAT THE FU- BANELINGS" -Day9
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1124
RotterdaM685
SteadfastSC295
TKL 258
Rex126
CosmosSc2 38
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 685
SteadfastSC 295
TKL 258
Rex 126
ProTech101
CosmosSc2 38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45756
Calm 3388
Shuttle 2672
Jaedong 1759
Horang2 727
Mini 519
actioN 431
Rush 418
Stork 415
EffOrt 387
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 368
Soma 349
ZerO 246
BeSt 219
Larva 194
Snow 194
firebathero 125
Mong 119
Zeus 95
hero 79
Mind 78
910 71
sorry 63
Free 60
Hyun 52
Sharp 51
Yoon 50
Shine 40
Shinee 39
PianO 34
Pusan 28
ToSsGirL 25
JYJ 25
Bale 20
HiyA 18
Aegong 17
Killer 17
Sexy 17
Terrorterran 15
Rock 14
Hm[arnc] 13
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5275
Dendi1183
420jenkins47
Counter-Strike
fl0m2805
Fnx 624
x6flipin45
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
ChuDatz21
Other Games
singsing2212
hiko795
Liquid`RaSZi606
B2W.Neo358
crisheroes355
dupreeh270
ceh9252
DeMusliM215
Khaldor203
Livibee188
Pyrionflax185
Liquid`VortiX147
Trikslyr90
Hui .77
QueenE66
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 447
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH241
• mYiSmile113
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV0
League of Legends
• Nemesis2060
• Jankos1643
• TFBlade573
Other Games
• Shiphtur626
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 19m
The PondCast
19h 19m
INu's Battles
20h 19m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.