• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:39
CEST 04:39
KST 11:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8458 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 39

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 488 Next
NationInArms
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 03:59:01
October 04 2011 03:58 GMT
#761
On October 04 2011 11:57 therockmanxx wrote:
How do I check for Lag in batlenet ?
Ppl always say "its lag, its lag, you are lag" even before the game start
Usually they are wrong but I know they have a way to find it out
Thanks...


for iccup type /ping to find out the latency and ping. Higher number means more ping, more latency, and more lag.

I haven't played BW competitively in the past 4 months so since I'm trying to get back in, what builds should I learn as a beginner Terran? In the summer I used TvP Flash Build (double armory), TvZ 3 Tank 1 Vessel and 3 Rax Fast Tech (flash's "new" build), and TvT 3(or maybe 5) Fact push.
BW for life | Fantasy, MMA, SlayerS_Boxer | Taengoo! n_n | "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Obey me, subjects! OBEY ME, WORLD!" | <3 Emi
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
October 04 2011 06:07 GMT
#762
On October 04 2011 12:58 NationInArms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2011 11:57 therockmanxx wrote:
How do I check for Lag in batlenet ?
Ppl always say "its lag, its lag, you are lag" even before the game start
Usually they are wrong but I know they have a way to find it out
Thanks...


for iccup type /ping to find out the latency and ping. Higher number means more ping, more latency, and more lag.

I haven't played BW competitively in the past 4 months so since I'm trying to get back in, what builds should I learn as a beginner Terran? In the summer I used TvP Flash Build (double armory), TvZ 3 Tank 1 Vessel and 3 Rax Fast Tech (flash's "new" build), and TvT 3(or maybe 5) Fact push.


I would for sure recommend +1 4 rax in tvz. You could try messing with rax fe in tvp but its a newer build and its gonna for sure take a lot of research.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Snipinpanda
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1227 Posts
October 04 2011 06:35 GMT
#763
On October 04 2011 11:31 Zariel wrote:
Is there like a 0.1 second command/menu delay in BW?

In SC2, I press keys very very fast, like building a supply depot for example (B+S), in BW, my SCV just ends up stopping, it's as if it doesn't register me pressing B at all. I find I need to press B, then have this 0.1-0.2 second pause (pretty much wait for the menu to pop up then press S).


No. There is no delay. I can sometimes plant a building without actually seeing the marker. But if you press s before you release b it might not register, so make sure you release.
MinscandBoo
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
252 Posts
October 04 2011 23:57 GMT
#764
I'm trying to play on fish but its hard to find games because people are unwilling to wait for me to download the maps. Whats curious about this is that I HAVE downloaded the maps. I got fighting spirit from the kespa site and also downloaded chef's map pack. I have also had hosts wait while i downloaded and played 2 games so far, so logic would stand to say that i have the maps on my comp but I still find that the game needs to download the map before every game. Anyone else have this problem? Is it some sort of setting I can change?
Swords! Not words!
CobaltBlu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States919 Posts
October 05 2011 04:39 GMT
#765
On October 05 2011 08:57 MinscandBoo wrote:
I'm trying to play on fish but its hard to find games because people are unwilling to wait for me to download the maps. Whats curious about this is that I HAVE downloaded the maps. I got fighting spirit from the kespa site and also downloaded chef's map pack. I have also had hosts wait while i downloaded and played 2 games so far, so logic would stand to say that i have the maps on my comp but I still find that the game needs to download the map before every game. Anyone else have this problem? Is it some sort of setting I can change?


I haven't found a solution to this other than to host. Koreans like to rename the map name so it appears at the top of the list or something.
scarper65
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
1560 Posts
October 05 2011 05:56 GMT
#766
Hey guys, I just switched over from sc2. In sc2, I'm a masters terran however in bw I have no idea what to do. I can comfortably beat the ai in every matchup, yet the second I play anything in bw I just get completely dominated. I'm especially having trouble with controlling my armies. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks
Black[CAT]
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Malaysia2589 Posts
October 05 2011 08:47 GMT
#767
On October 05 2011 14:56 scarper65 wrote:
Hey guys, I just switched over from sc2. In sc2, I'm a masters terran however in bw I have no idea what to do. I can comfortably beat the ai in every matchup, yet the second I play anything in bw I just get completely dominated. I'm especially having trouble with controlling my armies. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks


What I did when I was still noob was, go to singleplayer, use cheats, make huge ass army..
Practice your own hoykey system, then practice 1a2a3a4a around the map and such..
Basically, learn how to hotkey-rehotkey stuff quickly and maneuver and control large group of armies.
The goal is to improve control, don't kill the computer.
You mean ESPORTS isnt a synonym for SC2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry Blue Switches- BW or SC2? Why not both?
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
October 05 2011 09:03 GMT
#768
On October 05 2011 14:56 scarper65 wrote:
Hey guys, I just switched over from sc2. In sc2, I'm a masters terran however in bw I have no idea what to do. I can comfortably beat the ai in every matchup, yet the second I play anything in bw I just get completely dominated. I'm especially having trouble with controlling my armies. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks


I'm a sc2 switcher myself, the obvious answer is just play, however a few tips that can maybe save you some rage:

search for "stylish fpvods". There is a thread that is singlehandedly the best resource on TL for terran beginners
get used to move commands, hold position and target firing. In sc2, armies clump up and act as a single unit. In BW, units act individually and are more stupid in general, so for instance if you tell an army to a-move across the map, half your army could go in a completely different direction because on the way they caught a glimpse of an enemy probe; or some units may shoot at a pylon instead of a dragoon when both are in range.

and, some may disagree, I found helpful the suggestion of starting out with "cheesy" 1 base build to practice multitasking. 2rax and sparks tvz, the 2fact build you find in stylish' threat tvp, and wing it tvt because guides for that are much worse
therockmanxx
Profile Joined July 2010
Peru1174 Posts
October 05 2011 22:49 GMT
#769
Whts the name of the with a million lurkers egg?
Tekken ProGamer
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
October 05 2011 22:54 GMT
#770
On October 06 2011 07:49 therockmanxx wrote:
Whts the name of the with a million lurkers egg?


Plasma or Triathlon. Both have many eggs.
Forward
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
October 06 2011 00:53 GMT
#771
On October 05 2011 14:56 scarper65 wrote:
Hey guys, I just switched over from sc2. In sc2, I'm a masters terran however in bw I have no idea what to do. I can comfortably beat the ai in every matchup, yet the second I play anything in bw I just get completely dominated. I'm especially having trouble with controlling my armies. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks

About the army control, get used to add units to control groups, using ctrl+number to create a ctrl grp and shift+number to add the selected units to that particular ctrl grp.
Forget about having an hotkey for each unit type, bunch everything up and micro using your mouse, keep 1 ctrl group for special units, like harass or casters. when going bio however you want marine only group for more efficient stim.

Just get used to the ctrl grps and the macro, since those are the major diferences from sc2, about the strategy part id advise you watching streams, not progames since you wont be able to learn much without the basics learnt.
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
October 06 2011 01:59 GMT
#772
Why don't more pro terrans cover their turrets/SCVs with unused ebays/barracks? (i've seen a few games where it has been done)
Seems very effective against muta harass and limits reaver harass.
☺
CaffeineFree-_-
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States712 Posts
October 06 2011 03:45 GMT
#773
They do with mech, it's done pretty much all the time on say FS where the vision behind will give turrets/gols so much extra range. Otherwise the ebay/rax is needed with bio. You might think 'oh its only 125 mineral' but while doing your vessel build you will be pretty tight throughout on cash, if you're doing it properly.

Sometimes TvP it's done on a turret near the edge so the protoss isn't ready to pull back immediately, but if it's not a turret ring and its like 1 turret near the CC it's better to have it lifted on the edge of your base to give you a heads up on incoming drop. Same reason people depot the edge of there base.
We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved
NationInArms
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 04:38:11
October 06 2011 04:08 GMT
#774
What is the latency trick that allows people to make games on iccup when they would usually not be bale too?

And what is the follow up to 2 Rax FE vs Zerg? I force the Zerg to build like 6 sunkens and then I don't kno what to do.
BW for life | Fantasy, MMA, SlayerS_Boxer | Taengoo! n_n | "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Obey me, subjects! OBEY ME, WORLD!" | <3 Emi
MinscandBoo
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
252 Posts
October 06 2011 05:12 GMT
#775
Do you still have to forward your ports to be able to host?
Swords! Not words!
CaffeineFree-_-
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States712 Posts
October 06 2011 06:08 GMT
#776
On October 06 2011 13:08 NationInArms wrote:
What is the latency trick that allows people to make games on iccup when they would usually not be bale too?

And what is the follow up to 2 Rax FE vs Zerg? I force the Zerg to build like 6 sunkens and then I don't kno what to do.

Friend 1 hosts a game. Friend 2 attempts to join, gets lat unable to join. Then he creates his own game. Friend 1 then leaves his game(after friend 2 made his game) and joins friend 2 game.

On October 06 2011 14:12 MinscandBoo wrote:
Do you still have to forward your ports to be able to host?

Yes, unless you do the above method. Also if you join a game, all the players in that game(before it starts, the play list pic race part etc..) will be able to join your game if you follow same steps as above. So say I join a game hosted by player 8, with plays 2-7 also in there. I can lat trick and players 2-7 will be able to join my game.
We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 09:19:29
October 06 2011 09:19 GMT
#777
On October 05 2011 08:57 MinscandBoo wrote:
I'm trying to play on fish but its hard to find games because people are unwilling to wait for me to download the maps. Whats curious about this is that I HAVE downloaded the maps. I got fighting spirit from the kespa site and also downloaded chef's map pack. I have also had hosts wait while i downloaded and played 2 games so far, so logic would stand to say that i have the maps on my comp but I still find that the game needs to download the map before every game. Anyone else have this problem? Is it some sort of setting I can change?

I posted this on http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=195442&currentpage=16#315 , i find this: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20774820/[4]ÅõÈ¥1.4.rar , is the most used version of FS.
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
October 06 2011 09:42 GMT
#778
On October 06 2011 15:08 CaffeineFree-_- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 06 2011 13:08 NationInArms wrote:
What is the latency trick that allows people to make games on iccup when they would usually not be bale too?

And what is the follow up to 2 Rax FE vs Zerg? I force the Zerg to build like 6 sunkens and then I don't kno what to do.

Friend 1 hosts a game. Friend 2 attempts to join, gets lat unable to join. Then he creates his own game. Friend 1 then leaves his game(after friend 2 made his game) and joins friend 2 game.

Show nested quote +
On October 06 2011 14:12 MinscandBoo wrote:
Do you still have to forward your ports to be able to host?

Yes, unless you do the above method. Also if you join a game, all the players in that game(before it starts, the play list pic race part etc..) will be able to join your game if you follow same steps as above. So say I join a game hosted by player 8, with plays 2-7 also in there. I can lat trick and players 2-7 will be able to join my game.



This is a technique named STUN, although it is probably accidental. If this works you should be able to simply get your ports forwared. This wouldn't work if there are more than 1 starcraft client in your network, and there instances of whole ISPs that put their customers behind 1 ip.
whatusername
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada1181 Posts
October 06 2011 13:19 GMT
#779
are there any benefits to doing 8 overlord instead of 9 to 12 hatch? or is it exactly the same thing
im gay
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 15:17:41
October 06 2011 15:14 GMT
#780
On October 06 2011 22:19 whatusername wrote:
are there any benefits to doing 8 overlord instead of 9 to 12 hatch? or is it exactly the same thing

You do 9 overlord because it's just more economically advantageous.
The only time it's ever logical to make an 8 overlord is when you 9 pool speed. (If you don't, your pool will finish before overlord - making it inefficient)
화이팅
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech135
RuFF_SC2 130
FoxeR 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1609
Shuttle 1409
Artosis 597
Dewaltoss 45
NaDa 26
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm181
LuMiX0
League of Legends
Doublelift3751
Counter-Strike
taco 537
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox599
Other Games
summit1g7929
WinterStarcraft338
C9.Mang0288
ViBE98
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur228
Upcoming Events
OSC
20h 21m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 7h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.