• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:35
CEST 08:35
KST 15:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9646 users

Sonic's message about Monkey3 and SSL9

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
lemmata
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
468 Posts
December 24 2013 21:51 GMT
#1
I have posted a quick and dirty translation of Sonic's message below. There's been a lot interest in what happened...

It seems that sponsors wanted Sonic to force something unreasonable on the viewers. It also seems that a contract had been signed and was voided by mutual agreement when Sonic refused to accept the changes proposed by Monkey3.

Also, Sonic seems massively depressed about this and some of the Internet trolls are not helping. Kim Carrier half-jokingly said on the earlier pro league broadcast that Sonic had a mental breakdown. I really feel sorry for our Brood War hero. I have put some of the more interesting parts in bold face and added some translation notes (T/N) as well.

Hello everyone, this is Sonic.
There have been many personally distressing events lately.

I must be the deliverer of sad news.

Due to the breakdown of the contract with Monkey3, which had been slated to be the sponsor of SSL9, the size and schedule of SSL9 may need to be partially modified.

After the contracting the sponsorship, I had been making arrangements for the group selection ceremony in preparation for SSL9. Yesterday evening, Monkey3 requested that we change the content of our contract. After failing to come to a mutual agreement on the requested changes, both parties agreed to annul the contract today. (T/N: We know that the contract was signed already because it needed to be annulled)

Although I did everything to continue with the league sponsorship, I determined that it was too unreasonable for me to impose the new conditions proposed by Monkey3 on you---the viewers. This was the biggest reason for the decision to void the contract.

I must apologize to the players and fans who had been anticipating and waiting. I will start over, beginning with the task of finding a new sponsor. I know that this must be a huge let down for the players and fans, but it is even worse for me, who had been putting in the work on all the details from A-Z; I feel as if the sky has fallen.

For the last few months, I had been spending time away from my business to run around all over the place preparing the information to present to the sponsors. Those of you with real world experience probably understand the difficulty and stress involved in business-to-business meetings, especially in the case when you are an "ul" trying to get business from a "gab" (T/N: "ul" and "gab" are Korean expressions for two parties in a negotiation, where "gab" has all the power and "ul" is at his mercy). You can imagine how much I wanted to proceed as planned with the league given that the sponsorship contract had been attained after having countless meetings over the phone and in person with tens of firms. However, the proposed changes were just too much.

Regardless of the reason, it is ultimately my fault that the plans for the league have been disrupted. I will not ask you to lend me your strength, but please, at least within the confines of my channel, avoid doing things that make me lose the will to go on.

I am saying this because of some things that keep on being written in the stream chat and on the channel bulletin board. I don't know if you will believe me, but there is more to the cost of running SSL than just the prize money. This was true in SSL7 and SSL8. I have been using the entirety of the sponsorship money, regardless of its source, on running the league. In fact, I had to spend an additional $37000 and $33000 on SSL7 and SSL8, respectively. I do not feel like I am sacrificing anything because I want to run and enjoy this league for the game I love. I have never said on my channel that I am sacrificing myself for others.

Some people on various online communities and Afreeca have been saying things that make me cringe, such as "Sonic sure talks a lot for someone who wants to make money on Afreeca" (T/N: As we many Korean sentences, there are many implicit parts here, but it seems that some vocal minority keeps saying that Sonic is too boastful of his contributions to BW for someone who just wants to make a quick buck). It might be an overreaction to the kind words of some fans who view my efforts positively. Some of the exaggerations may be resulting in blowback. :-(

I will take the responsibility and proceed with the league this time. No matter who our sponsor ultimately turns out to be, your passionate interest is needed. I wanted to show the world that Starcraft: Brood War is not yet dead and that it can still attract classy sponsors by attracting a sponsor other than my own company (Shinbalfarm).

I will put my full effort into this and definitely make it a fantastic success.

I will start over from the beginning. I am sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

PS: Monkey3 has agreed to refund those of you who made purchases using the coupon number on my previous announcement notice. If you have not received a refund and cancellation by the next month, please let me know. I will take the responsibility of making sure that you do not lose a single cent.
Kittan
Profile Joined April 2012
Poland3999 Posts
December 24 2013 22:02 GMT
#2
This is sad news. But I know that Sonic has the fortitude to keep the dreadnaught plowing on.

Sonic hwaiting!
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=81288 <--- How I fell in love with a man, a team, a game and a website in a single day... | "There are no false gods, there is only the Emperor, and Choi Yun Sung is his prophet." -> Zona 40k
traceurling
Profile Joined December 2012
United States1240 Posts
December 24 2013 22:12 GMT
#3
Horrible news...what did Monkey3 want?
Sonic fighting! You have the support of everyone <3
"Appreciate the things you have before they become the things you had."
Stratos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic6104 Posts
December 24 2013 22:13 GMT
#4
Thanks for the translation. Let's all... Idk. What do we even do. Should we make like worldwide colaboration cheerful vid? Does anyone do art around here?
En Taro Violet
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9559 Posts
December 24 2013 22:19 GMT
#5
We should definitely do something to cheer up Sonic :/
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
December 24 2013 22:24 GMT
#6
Too bad, I was really looking forward to it.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 24 2013 22:31 GMT
#7
I was really looking forward to SSL9 God damnit Monkey3, why now when it's getting so close? Does anyone know what changes they wanted? It must be something big if Sonic cancelled so that the viewers aren't involved. Either way, I was also really surprised at how much more he was spending for each one. All those internet trolls aren't helping his case.

On December 25 2013 07:19 2Pacalypse- wrote:
We should definitely do something to cheer up Sonic :/

this 10000%. What can we do? Anyone have any ideas? It has to be big to keep his motivation up considering that message was depressing as hell.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
L3gendary
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1470 Posts
December 24 2013 22:42 GMT
#8
wow that sucks big time. I hope he can find another sponsor, I think there's enough interest to attract it so hopefully it's just a matter of time.
Watching Jaedong play purifies my eyes. -Coach Ju Hoon
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9559 Posts
December 24 2013 22:44 GMT
#9
On December 25 2013 07:31 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2013 07:19 2Pacalypse- wrote:
We should definitely do something to cheer up Sonic :/

this 10000%. What can we do? Anyone have any ideas? It has to be big to keep his motivation up considering that message was depressing as hell.

I disagree that it has to be "big" to show our appreciation for what he does. Even just sending him some flowers with a thoughtful note would mean a lot to him I'm sure.
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 24 2013 22:53 GMT
#10
On December 25 2013 07:44 2Pacalypse- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2013 07:31 BigFan wrote:
On December 25 2013 07:19 2Pacalypse- wrote:
We should definitely do something to cheer up Sonic :/

this 10000%. What can we do? Anyone have any ideas? It has to be big to keep his motivation up considering that message was depressing as hell.

I disagree that it has to be "big" to show our appreciation for what he does. Even just sending him some flowers with a thoughtful note would mean a lot to him I'm sure.

well, not "big" but at least show him that he still got the support from the foreign BW scene. It was TL that helped him last time he was thinking of quitting due to the whole match fixing stuff that was going around. At least that's what I recall reading.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
purakushi
Profile Joined August 2012
United States3304 Posts
December 24 2013 22:54 GMT
#11
Ugh, terrible news
Sonic/SSL fighting!
T P Z sagi
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
December 24 2013 23:59 GMT
#12
Noo... I don't know how to react to this...
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 25 2013 00:08 GMT
#13
Maybe we should do an e-book for him or something. What I mean is that, something like was done for DRG in SCII where fans wrote encouraging messages and such then they were printed, made into a book and given to them. It doesn't have to just be words, you can draw a picture in paint or on paper and scan it etc... After that, someone can send them to him through email or the better way is to have someone who's currently living in Korea print, bind and give it to him in person. It would be something that he can always look back on if there are further issues in the future. What do you guys think?
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Muff2n
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom252 Posts
December 25 2013 00:17 GMT
#14
I had no idea that he was ploughing so much $$$ into the production. He deserves some gesture.
Hoender
Profile Joined March 2011
South Africa382 Posts
December 25 2013 00:22 GMT
#15
Another one of these maybe?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=388087
Die ou swepe sê: "daar's 'n raat vir elke kwaal," maar watse pil kou jy as die donker jou kom haal?
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 25 2013 00:43 GMT
#16
On December 25 2013 09:22 Hoender wrote:
Another one of these maybe?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=388087

ya, that's what I was thinking as well(above post)
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
shizzz
Profile Joined May 2012
Australia127 Posts
December 25 2013 00:48 GMT
#17
Some people might be uncomfortable with this but just throwing it out there; we could get people to take a picture of themselves with a little sign that says something along the lines of "go sonic" or "bw forever" etc and maybe put what country we are from as well. Putting a face to the gratitude being expressed as well as letting sonic know his contributions are felt so far and wide around the world would be a massive boost imo.
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
December 25 2013 00:49 GMT
#18
On December 25 2013 09:48 shizzz wrote:
Some people might be uncomfortable with this but just throwing it out there; we could get people to take a picture of themselves with a little sign that says something along the lines of "go sonic" or "bw forever" etc and maybe put what country we are from as well. Putting a face to the gratitude being expressed as well as letting sonic know his contributions are felt so far and wide around the world would be a massive boost imo.


Sweet, an actual reason to take selfies w/o looking pretentious!
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 25 2013 00:57 GMT
#19
On December 25 2013 09:49 Xiphos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2013 09:48 shizzz wrote:
Some people might be uncomfortable with this but just throwing it out there; we could get people to take a picture of themselves with a little sign that says something along the lines of "go sonic" or "bw forever" etc and maybe put what country we are from as well. Putting a face to the gratitude being expressed as well as letting sonic know his contributions are felt so far and wide around the world would be a massive boost imo.


Sweet, an actual reason to take selfies w/o looking pretentious!

agree, not a bad idea imo.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51589 Posts
December 25 2013 01:42 GMT
#20
God damn it.....
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 985
910 106
Hyun 73
NotJumperer 39
Bale 33
sorry 28
Noble 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto218
League of Legends
JimRising 596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King138
Other Games
summit1g8048
Coldzera 728
WinterStarcraft425
C9.Mang0302
ceh9283
NeuroSwarm100
ViBE24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick607
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2275
League of Legends
• Rush1222
• Lourlo977
• Stunt395
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 25m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.