• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:12
CEST 16:12
KST 23:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8746 users

Latency and Connection issues

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
SirKibbleX
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States479 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 00:41:00
January 14 2013 00:39 GMT
#1
The TL LSL (TLS just sounds wrong) is going on strong, and I keep wanting to jump on ICCup and relive some nostalgia. My SCBW is still my favorite game of all time, but I find myself playing SC2 and League of Legends much more than my favorite game. Why is this? The real elephant in the SCBW room are the network and port forwarding issues that have never been adequately resolved. This is the real elephant in the BW room.

The latency/ip issues. I have tried to run SCBW on about 20 different computers/networks in the last year or two, but I have probably a less than 10% success rate given various router, computer, firewall, IP, and ISP issues. This is ridiculous.

Watching other players play always makes me itch. I'm not an excellent player (D+ my all time high.) However, SCBW is a game that is virtually impossible perfect. So no matter how good someone is, they will make mistakes. A great observer/director can cover a lot of the minor mistakes and give an excellent player an additional aura of invincibility. Regardless, whenever I see a mistake I naturally think "I can do better than that!" This is, of course, ridiculous. This game is very very hard. Either way I'm suddenly motivated to play.

League of Legends and SC2 have excellent netcode. I can jump on and easily join a game or click a matchmaking button. The games are very responsive and easy to get into. SCBW by comparison can be nearly impossible. While I was at college, I couldn't play on ICCup because the college's IP was generally banned by ICCup. When I'm at home, my ISP had a block of some sort that made it impossible to port-forward SCBW. At a friend's house, I can play but there's a lot of random crashes because of Windows 7, so I've started played in windowed mode to avoid that.

So when my friends tell me they want to play, we have loads of trouble joining each other. Everyone knows the tricks, syncing by joining someone else's hosted game, using programs like Hamachi to effectively LAN over long distances, etc. etc. When a new player actively asks me to teach them to play, I sometimes have to decline because they have connection issues neither of us can resolve.

So what can be done? Short of a complete re-write of the game code or possibly a complete switch of the community over to SC2BW or one of the similar maps, this may be almost impossible. Maybe an effective infographic, program to do it automatically, or something like that could help? Maybe live events are the secret, true LAN play is one of the remaining unique strengths of SCBW.

As it is, it's incredibly frustrating to not be able to play SCBW even when I want to. I feel like this problem has been holding the community back even longer than we even know.
Praemonitus, Praemunitus.
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
January 14 2013 00:46 GMT
#2
Forwarding your ports should ALWAYS allow you to host a game.
Problems arise when hosting a game between people on the same network and someone outside it (which I assume is the case for you, if you're playing with RL friends). That never worked unless you use things like Hamachi.

That said, I've heard before that some people still get latency issues on iCCup even after correctly forwarding their ports since recently (and dont have that problem on Fish server), so the more recent iCCup server version might be having some issues.
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
KristofferAG
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Norway25712 Posts
January 14 2013 01:21 GMT
#3
I honestly don't think this is the biggest issue at all. I'm not gonna be able to identify the actual issue, but I've never had any issues creating or joining games except for latency from time to time, after forwarding ports.
@KristofferAG | http://vestkyststoy.bandcamp.com | last.fm/user/KristofferAG
Bakuryu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Germany1065 Posts
January 14 2013 01:56 GMT
#4
i think about 50% of people on iccup cant host games because of various problems.
a friend of mine cant host games, so we tried to forwards ports and stuff like that, but after 3-4 hours of searching for the right portforwarding of the router, making sure ip is static... nothing changed. he still cant host and he drops if the game has more than 2 people.
i think its a pretty big deal.
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
January 14 2013 01:59 GMT
#5
I can't host because college internet. ;;
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
ArvickHero
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
10387 Posts
January 14 2013 02:01 GMT
#6
100% agreed, if a solution could be found then it would really open doors for BW
Writerptrk
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 04:22:32
January 14 2013 02:09 GMT
#7
Yeah it is a pretty consistent problem with people not being able to host/join. Especially if you have a combination of multiple people on the same wireless network and a couple people spread out. Hard to port-forward for everyone and Hamachi has dropped down to 5 people.

Physical lan still works amazingly though.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 02:59:34
January 14 2013 02:55 GMT
#8
He's got a good point about the hosting difficulties. Port forwarding isn't even possible for a lot of people these days because apartments, University dorms, etc. do not always have access to the router. Not being able to host really hurts your options on the small private servers like ICCUP, which are the only places left to play 1v1s.
AFKing
Profile Joined January 2013
128 Posts
January 14 2013 03:03 GMT
#9
Iccup only works like occasionally at my school, but at least we can lan :\
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-14 03:17:21
January 14 2013 03:16 GMT
#10
I had problems hosting but I was able to open my ports and I can make games now. I can understand how it's an issue though. Finding games at one's level can be such a pain on iCCup and maybe it also causes less people to play due to these issues Not sure if it's as game changing as you say it is though.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
January 14 2013 03:31 GMT
#11
My router is fucked, and I can't open ports on it. I end up spending 20 minutes on ICCUP searching for games, and at least 3 times get caught by that one dude with closed ports who made a game and it takes Bnet a full minute to go "I can't has connects"

It really does suck
Witten
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2094 Posts
January 14 2013 03:35 GMT
#12
I played a bit of Broodwar when sGs started becoming a thing (I always had terrible players who were way better than me to play with, help teach my the game, etc) but then break was over and I went back to school and couldn't really play anymore. I have NO idea how to forward ports, and my attempts at home have failed. Possibly once I graduate and get my own apartment (hopefully with own internet) I'll be able to get back into it, but for now I just have to play singleplayer.

So yes, I would say its a major issue. Especially considering I'm usually pretty good with computers but can't do shit when it comes to port forwarding. Oh well.
Brood War Forever / NA's premiere Shadow Shaman player / Courier Collector / Bot Game Champion / Highly amateur Mystical Ninja Goemon Speedrunner
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
January 14 2013 03:39 GMT
#13
I'm very surprised iccup hasn't added upnp support to their launcher yet. 99% of routers could be automatically configured via upnp, it would save so many headaches.
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
January 14 2013 03:40 GMT
#14
On January 14 2013 11:55 Sinensis wrote:
He's got a good point about the hosting difficulties. Port forwarding isn't even possible for a lot of people these days because apartments, University dorms, etc. do not always have access to the router. Not being able to host really hurts your options on the small private servers like ICCUP, which are the only places left to play 1v1s.


This, living in an apartment complex where I have no router access, so I can't do anything to host. And even worse I can't be in game with more than one other person, or else everyone will disconnect. Feelsbadman
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
EchOne
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2906 Posts
January 14 2013 03:51 GMT
#15
Yeah I believe this is definitely a major issue that isn't cured simply by telling people to forward their ports. I've been able to get hosting capacity intermittently by using a program for upnp port forwarding, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to play Brood War, try to forward their ports, but still have connection problems for any of innumerable reasons.
面白くない世の中, 面白くすればいいさ
Chux
Profile Joined June 2009
Peru255 Posts
January 14 2013 04:08 GMT
#16
I think this is the solution:

http://www.iccup.com/content/blogs/Tech_1_-_StarCraft:_Game_Data_Port.html
MSL 2052-2053, here we go!
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
January 14 2013 04:18 GMT
#17
On January 14 2013 12:39 R1CH wrote:
I'm very surprised iccup hasn't added upnp support to their launcher yet. 99% of routers could be automatically configured via upnp, it would save so many headaches.

As far as I know there are no developers at iCCup that actually code stuff, outside of the DotA/WC3 crew.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
sheaRZerg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States613 Posts
January 14 2013 04:29 GMT
#18
That's good to know... I always thought there was not a solution to the two computers on the same network issue.

Of course needing to edit registries is not what I would call an easy fix. And is certainly enough of a barrier to discourage simply finding a quick 2v2 with a friend.
"Dude, just don't listen to what I say; listen to what I mean." -Sean Plott
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
January 14 2013 04:36 GMT
#19
If anyone need help port forwarding, I can try to solve it, just pm me. I'm a support admin at iccup right now :D
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
January 14 2013 05:10 GMT
#20
On January 14 2013 12:39 R1CH wrote:
I'm very surprised iccup hasn't added upnp support to their launcher yet. 99% of routers could be automatically configured via upnp, it would save so many headaches.

Could you do it for them please? : 3
brood war for life, brood war forever
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5535
Bisu 2940
Jaedong 1015
Soulkey 837
Horang2 591
EffOrt 543
Mini 393
actioN 348
Larva 305
ZerO 231
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 229
Yoon 127
Mind 93
Pusan 87
hero 80
Sea.KH 79
Shinee 71
Sharp 70
Snow 64
Dewaltoss 60
Hyun 60
Barracks 49
Bale 48
sorry 47
ToSsGirL 37
Sacsri 20
scan(afreeca) 17
Trap 17
NaDa 14
Rock 13
zelot 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 9
Terrorterran 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4765
qojqva2275
Dendi1025
Counter-Strike
Fnx 6
Other Games
olofmeister1380
hiko939
B2W.Neo706
Lowko337
crisheroes300
DeMusliM286
XBOCT232
Pyrionflax213
Liquid`VortiX186
Livibee184
Hui .180
QueenE87
Mew2King53
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 1254
WardiTV858
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV670
League of Legends
• Jankos2128
• Nemesis2051
• TFBlade706
Other Games
• Shiphtur108
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 48m
Patches Events
1d 1h
The PondCast
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.