• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:58
CEST 06:58
KST 13:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5724 users

[Daily E-sports Exclusive] Jaedong on future

Forum Index > BW General
120 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33706 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-23 11:03:20
August 23 2009 06:13 GMT
#1
Well, Daily E-sports (www.dailyesports.com) has slapped a big EXCLUSIVE title on a few new articles, which are sourced from their video interview with Jaedong.

Here's a rough transcript of the video interview
Source: http://www.dailyesports.com/news/view.daily?idx=14531

Q: It seems like even you didn't know you'd come out on the FA market
AL: Uhhhh.. yeah. *awkward laughter*

Q: Are you going to convince your parents to let you stay?
A: Um yeah, it's that kind of situation.

Q: A lot of people think that you were overworked on Hwaseung, what do you think?
A: I think that a lot of people think that I'm carrying a heavy burden on my shoulders, and I'm having a hard time. My parents think so too. But me personally, as always, I've been having a great time with my teammates and coaches, and even though I've had a packed schedule and sometimes it's a bit excessive on my body, even if i'm tired physically, I'm still having a lot of fun, and just living with the people I love was very happy and fun, I didn't even know time was passing as we went through the season. I wish people would realize this, and know that I don't feel that way in my heart.


Q: What does Hwaseung mean to you?
A: For me to grow like this, and become a top gamer, it's because of all my teammates and coach who were always helping me from my side. I consider the people who were always silently helping me to be my teammates and my coach, and I believe that without them, I wouldn't be anything.

Q:Is Lee Jaedong indispensable to Hwaseung?
A: Well, right now... (sheepish smile) yes.

Q: Do you understand your parents' worries about you?
A: Yes, I understand thoroughly. It's all for my sake, looking into the future and caring for me, so I understand completely.

Q: You weren't able to practice enough because of the FA ordeal?
A: (Smiles) Well actually, I started practicing just yesterday. On Thursday, all day I was just wrestling (with the negotiations), all day, and at night I felt so empty, with a lot of emotions overlapping, it was just so hard on me I couldn't even hold a mouse. But my teammates helped me out, and my coach looked realistically towards the final, and from Friday I came to my senses and I was able to practice. Actually after WCG (prelims), I wanted practice properly, but things outside the game kind of weighed me down, but still it was ZvZ that I'm confident in, so I think that's why the result was good.

Q: There's a lot of attention on where you're going to go.
A: Yeah, a lot of people seem to be wondering about, and interested in where I'm going. Just keep watching, and trust in my choices, please.

Q: A word to your fans?
A: Thanks for the cheers, and uh.. (makes heart shape with hands) I love you guys!


Here's my liberally edited translation of Daily E-sport's own text summary. After watching the original video, I can say there's a decent bit of paraphrasing going on here, but nothing to distort the facts.
Sources:
http://www.dailyesports.com/news/view.daily?idx=14530
http://www.dailyesports.com/news/view.daily?idx=14529
http://www.dailyesports.com/news/view.daily?idx=14528


Jaedong: When I get back to Ulsan (his hometown) from the finals, I'm going to convince my parents to let me stay at OZ. Until my last day as a progamer, I want to be with my OZ teammates, Coach Cho Jeong Woon, and Coach Han Sangyong. If I hadn't been with Hwaseung, it would have been difficult for me to become the great player I am today. Of course I'll discuss my future with my parents, but I'll let them know for sure that I want to remain with OZ."

Jaedong: Everyone knows that parents care about their children. I think all this controversy comes from my parents worrying about what appears to be me taking on a heavy burden. (The first two lines are ambiguous, the original article's use of quotation marks is terrible). My parents were probably looking into the far future when they declared my FA status. They want to make sure I have a successful future, and I respect their effort to try and guarantee that for me.

Jaedong: My tough schedule really does exhaust me physically, but mentally I'm at my best because I'm truly happy. Working with the people you love is a truly wonderful thing, and it's what gave me the strength to get through such a long, hard season. I don't want to lose the happiness that comes from being with the people you love."


Jaedong is still 19 years of age, and cannot negotiate contracts without parental permission according to Kespa regulations.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
August 23 2009 06:19 GMT
#2
'I don't want to lose the happiness that comes from being with the people you love.'

Urge to make Homo for Lomo joke rising. This is an interesting dilemma really. I hope Jaedong comes out of the whole FA situation happily and that he can continue to play in the way he wants to.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
SuperArc
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Austria7781 Posts
August 23 2009 06:19 GMT
#3
Winning the Golden Mouse sure should help JD with convincing his parents.
Snow - future of protoss! :) Nada = baller
uglymoose89
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States671 Posts
August 23 2009 06:21 GMT
#4
so Jaedong really wants to stay at Oz but his parents won't let him? Hmm, he is almost old enough to decide for himself. I'd say let him stay at Oz under the condition that they somehow get other players to help with the burden he carries.
TryThis
Profile Joined February 2007
Canada1522 Posts
August 23 2009 06:21 GMT
#5
cool read thanks alot.

how old does he have to be to be 'independant' and discuss contracts...etc without parental consent?
Dwell
GrimAngel
Profile Joined September 2008
United States416 Posts
August 23 2009 06:22 GMT
#6
I hope Jaedong stays in OZ, especially after hearing what Coach Cho said to him on stage.

Ahh I'm reminded of that video with Lomo and Jaedong on the bed lol.
Wan step ahead!
saikeraku
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada2933 Posts
August 23 2009 06:25 GMT
#7
Thanks for the translation. Sounds like JD really wants to stay in Oz, hope he'll be able to stay with Oz in the end ^_^.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
August 23 2009 06:26 GMT
#8
I hope Jaedong stays on OZ !!!

gl jaedong, I hope you convince your parents~
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
August 23 2009 06:33 GMT
#9
I hope he goes to SK Tele--

=\

All right, I guess it's ok if he stays on OZ.
Shitposting
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
August 23 2009 06:34 GMT
#10
What a stupid rule. :/ I'm sure his parents will agree to his wishes though, it would mean more money to them in the long run because a happy jaedong is a healthy jaedong and a healthy jaedong is gg for everybody else.
n
Profile Joined May 2009
United States48 Posts
August 23 2009 06:40 GMT
#11
Hope Coach Cho begs OZ for more money...
kaleidoscope
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Singapore2887 Posts
August 23 2009 06:51 GMT
#12
Lomo and JD may be the reason why his mum want's him out of Oz

I do feel that JD is a little underpayed for his performance in Oz
대지따라 돌린게 시간이다.. 흘러가고 돌아오지도 않고..
BlackMagister
Profile Joined October 2008
United States5834 Posts
August 23 2009 07:13 GMT
#13
I think this article goes a long way to making sure JD doesn't leave Oz. If his parents take him out of Oz they look like a bad guy. Hoping he stays on Oz just because it would be sad for him if he had to leave. Not a JD fan, but feel bad for him.
Warrior Madness
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada3791 Posts
August 23 2009 07:15 GMT
#14
Wow...What a turn of events here. I was really hoping for a JD/flash partnership in order to revive the old KTF vs SKT rivalry but sheez. This quote is really striking:
My tough schedule really does exhaust me physically, but mentally I'm at my best because I'm truly happy. Working with the people you love is a truly wonderful thing, and it's what gave me the strength to get through such a long, hard season.


Would JD really do better overall if he were on a team that gave him some breathing room? I'm not so sure anymore. But I'm leaning towards yes. However, we don't know what sort of ramifications it would have on JD's performance/practice/motivation if he were taken away from such a loving/supportive environment.
The Past: Yellow, Julyzerg, Chojja, Savior, GGplay -- The Present: Luxury, Jae- The Future: -Dong, maGma, Zero, Effort, Hoejja, hyvaa, by.hero, calm, Action ---> SC2 (Ret?? Kolll Idra!! SEN, Cool, ZergBong, Leenock)
Hinanawi
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2250 Posts
August 23 2009 07:16 GMT
#15
Oz needs to at least cough up enough money to match Jaedong's salary to Flash's. Jaedong is extremely underpaid right now.
Favorite progamers (in order): Flash, Stork, Violet, Sea. ||| Get better soon, Violet!
saritenite
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Singapore1680 Posts
August 23 2009 07:17 GMT
#16
Jaedong comes from a poor family in Oz, I've said that in one of my threads.

But that makes him all the more determined, aye? No sense going to SKT where everyone has everything and doesn't give two shits about others as long as they pull off their marvelous plays.

Jaedong cares, that's why he does what he does, aye?
fearus
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
China2164 Posts
August 23 2009 07:19 GMT
#17
His parents a looking out for his best interests, financially and career wise.

JD is still young, it is easy to be emotionally attached without the big picture in mind.
bisu fanboy
iamho
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3347 Posts
August 23 2009 07:19 GMT
#18
is 18 not the age for adulthood in korea or something? this is ridiculous
nayumi
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia6499 Posts
August 23 2009 07:22 GMT
#19
On August 23 2009 16:19 iamho wrote:
is 18 not the age for adulthood in korea or something? this is ridiculous

I think it's 21 when you can be legally bound to any kind of contract, correct me if I'm wrong though
Sugoi monogatari onii-chan!
Elian
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States129 Posts
August 23 2009 07:24 GMT
#20
I don't find the age of adulthood that ridiculous. Interesting though that his parents insisted upon forcing JD out of what he wants.

Could this possibly be seen as politeness toward your team? I think not, but I'm not that attuned to how this is "supposed to go."

Either way, I don't want JD on SKT. I'd rather he stay with Oz.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 108
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2578
GuemChi 761
Leta 104
Snow 98
Terrorterran 59
NaDa 42
Bale 35
Noble 13
Icarus 6
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
febbydoto21
League of Legends
JimRising 646
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox410
Mew2King64
Other Games
summit1g6749
WinterStarcraft391
C9.Mang0282
Sick116
ViBE88
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick541
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 118
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2132
League of Legends
• Lourlo1258
• Stunt358
Other Games
• Shiphtur485
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
11h 2m
The PondCast
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.