A quick 2v2 recap:
So apparently everybody loves to go PP in 2v2s. Of my 4 games, 3 were PP, and one was ZR -> ZZ. Against the ZZ team, it was just a double-team zerg rush win. The PP game I lost was a double 2-gate doubleteam into me, plus I had some 40 APM noob as my ally. Those games sucked (maybe cuz I lost, maybe cuz they were over in 5 minutes).
The other two games were pretty fun. One was on Python, ZP vs PP. I had seen 2v2 PP strats on Python such as one player going cannons to defend both ramps, then secure both players expos, while the other player went hardcore zeals; seems like a pretty good strat to me. When my ovie scouted the close position opponent going forge first, I assumed that's what was happening. Nope. Both players went for a hidden in-base cannon rush. My ally rolled his rush over with a standard 2-gate, and I just stopped the cannon rush dead with a well (and timely) placed sunk, until I had a bunch of hydras. It was just a formality from there.
The other game I won was a ZT vs PP on Hannibal. First off, I love Hannibal as a 2v2 map. Second, tanks + lurks + overlord/scourge pretty much owns everything PP can send your way. I took my nat way before anyone else, while pressuring and delaying expos, but later in the game, it seemed like I was too late to take a third, because they were pretty much all taken. So I kinda didn't pull my weight later in the game, but my ally was Korean, so it worked out.
All in all, 2v2 is pretty fun, and it's a nice warm-up for 1v1 games. Guess that wasn't such a quick recap.
(12)ZvZ: 4- 8 33.3%
(23)ZvP: 7-16 30.4%
(21)ZvT: 6-15 28.6%
since last report:
( 5)ZvZ: 3- 2 60.0%
(11)ZvP: 4- 7 36.3%
( 8)ZvT: 1- 7 12.5%
ZvZ: My ZvZ has definitely improved, as I've started employing more econo-friendly openings. Assuming Python, something like 12hatch(@main),pool,drone,gas. On 2 player maps, or maps without a nice defensive choke I'll prefer something else. I have been considering throwing in an occasional 4pool, but I'm still debating whether or not it's even worth it. I have to consider the viability/timing of a 4pool + sunk rush, since if I'm going to cheese I'd prefer to have an offensive sunk involved (way cooler and IMO a stronger punch, and thus better chance of working, since 4pool doesn't really have a followup).
ZvP: My ZvP has improved as well, though I still have quite a ways to go. I have been getting 2gated frequently enough that it's become a concern, and I've responded by going 12pool, because, as much as I hate it, I can't deal with a good (or even okay) 2gate when I 12hatch. This is somewhat painful economically, but I've had pretty good results so far, namely because:
1. since I'm going with a "safer" build, I just skip drone scouting, which helps a tiny bit I guess, and
2. for some reason, when the protoss scouts my 12pool, they build cannons first anyway. I'm guessing they confuse it with overpool (or just think pool before hatch = cannons first) but it's a nice mistake I can capitalize on against my current opposition.
ZvT: My ZvT, unlike the other matches, has gotten a lot shittier. And it's because my muta harass has been ineffective. It seems like they've got turrets up way before my mutas get there, and there's just too many turrets to do anything. I need to back off and just retain map control in those situations, but so far I haven't been. On top of that, my muta micro has been way off lately. I'm playing on iCCup, but it's been seeming like I've been playing on bnet as far as muta micro goes, resulting in me getting into situations I can't handle, and getting my mutas killed. The other problem, which is probably somewhat related, is that I'm having difficulty keeping my 3rd since my lurkers don't come in time to stop his mnm force from getting in. So, I definitely could play better, specifically areas revolving around the muta portion of ZvT, but I have yet to. It just seems like the terrans are TOO prepared for my mutas. And they haven't been late either. So I'm considering going lurkers instead until I can clear my bad muta habits from my mind.
This is a definite 180 from ICCup report 1, where I said "ZvT is my best matchup, definitely. Going into a game, I feel most comfortable in ZvT." I guess I still feel reasonably comfortable going into a ZvT, though a bit less so now, and way less so when my mutas get raped, and then I lose my 3rd 20 seconds later.
1. Which build would you rather open against 12hatch@main: 4pool or 9pool? How about against 12pool? Assume python if you just want to give a quick answer, or elaborate based on map qualities if you wanna give a more detailed answer.
1.Um... I think I just need to practice and get stronger all around in this matchup before any more QnA will help me. I guess... there's no good reason for protoss to get cannons before nexus when I 12pool right? Is there anything for me to exploit if I go 12pool and they get nexus first? I assumed not.
1. When playing standard sAviOr style 3hatch muta, when do you commonly add evos? Just 1, or 2? If only 1, when do you add a second?
2. I've been trying out dual evos, both right after my lurker up starts, which is right after I start morphing my mutas. I then get carapace (of course), and range attack, rather than melee. My thinking is that, when skirmishes ensue with my lurkerling army, the +1 range will make my lurkers more effective, for longer (since marines will need +3 armor to before they can avoid 2hit death from lurkers). After I get +1 range, I then start on melee ups as normal, while continuing carapace. Unfortunatly, my games haven't gotten that far due to the above-mentioned muta troubles I've been having. So what do you think of this? Good idea? Bad?
3. What's the best counter to straight up mass goliath (plus the occasional siege tank, I guess)? I assumed mass hydra, but I lost anyway, but that may just be because he was a better player.
1. When do you drone scout in each matchup, and why? I used to scout immediately with my 9th drone, but I would either find no useful info (ex. partially built rax, could be any number of followups), or I'll find good info, but too late for any changes in my build open to be worth it (ex. I see 2gate, but my 12hatch is already down, and it's not worth it to cancel now). Seemed the only info I got was their position and whether or not they were cheesing (if their base was empty), or occasionally ZvP, I could scout in time to go 3hatch before pool against an FE. But usually even a 9 scout wasn't quick enough for that. I've now given up drone scouting completely, since I either get no good info, or it's too late to act on it. So, what do you do to scout, when, and why?
As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome.