• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:54
CEST 10:54
KST 17:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7166 users

How do most people around you react to SC?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-20 03:44:22
May 31 2009 07:29 GMT
#1
So how do most people around you react when after the revelation that you actually are still playing a 11 year old game?

For me i get stares of shock, disbelief, disappointment or just pure condecending comments and looks.

"But the graphics are so bad!" - GoW player
"CS ah? what SC? Starcraft? Zzz" -DotA player
"SC2 is it? SC1? - . - " - Dota player

"SC2 only got THREE RACES??" - Dota player

Theres only 1 guy i know who plays it quite well (for my low standards)

Of course, after explaining larva saving ( for mutalisk burst), reaver dropping, 1 dropship 2tank, probe scout <-> base macro hopping) most (who played the game before) are in awe :D
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
May 31 2009 07:43 GMT
#2
When I show girlfriends/female encounters VOD:s of hot progamers owning shit up in stadiums, they are like "why are you looking at chinese guys playing games?" I'm about to open my mouth and explain the awesomeness of SC but then I look at them and realize that SC will never mean the same thing to her so I just go "cuz I like it".

With guys, many people I know think SC is cool and it seems everyone has heard the mantras "the best RTS ever" and "the most balanced game ever". However I don't know anyone IRL who really plays it anymore. People play WoW, Runes of Magic.

I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
DeathSpank
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1029 Posts
May 31 2009 07:44 GMT
#3
On May 31 2009 16:43 Foucault wrote:
When I show girlfriends/female encounters VOD:s of hot progamers owning shit up in stadiums, they are like "why are you looking at chinese guys playing games?" I'm about to open my mouth and explain the awesomeness of SC but then I look at them and realize that SC will never mean the same thing to her so I just go "cuz I like it".

With guys, many people I know think SC is cool and it seems everyone has heard the mantras "the best RTS ever" and "the most balanced game ever". However I don't know anyone IRL who really plays it anymore. People play WoW, Runes of Magic.


wow isnt a game ...it's an amusement park.
yes.
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 07:51:52
May 31 2009 07:50 GMT
#4
typical scenario:

Person: What are you playing?
Me: Starcraft.
Person: Why does it looks so weird?
Me: It's 11 years old.
Person: Then why are you playing it? It looks like your spazzing out...
Me: It's a competitive eSport
Person: Oh wow you need a life


...yeah, now i simply respond: "im just messing around..."

although i had the oppurtunity to talk about it in my COMS class for a speech, and yeah people couldn't believe their eyes when i showed them a korean SC tourny pics.
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
May 31 2009 07:53 GMT
#5
"i remember sc that game was badass [insert sc pub story from 10 years ago]"
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
Vilda
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Sweden111 Posts
May 31 2009 07:54 GMT
#6
Most people seem to think it's pretty cool. Especially guys, but most of my female friends too actually. I guess I have it differently, though.

My dad even started following the scene for a bit, reading my articles at GG.net and he asked me after WCG SWE 2003 if SaFT won (which he did, ironicly)
Vilda is all about StarCraft
Naib
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Hungary4952 Posts
May 31 2009 08:02 GMT
#7
I actually have a female acquintance that ocassionally plays SC. I think you have to go in a different way about telling people that you play an old game, if you don't want to look like a total nerd. What I do is usually not explaining the neat tricks like muta stacking and how gratutious amount of APM I have, but simply state some monetary facts of my past success, or say per se "I'm in the top X of Hungary". That's easier to grasp for most people, and you just look determined - not like someone who wastes their time playing a computer game.
Complete the cycle!
kaleidoscope
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Singapore2887 Posts
May 31 2009 08:03 GMT
#8
"what's Starcraft? Oh! You mean the blizzard game? Ehh! I got Starcraft2 is coming out?"
대지따라 돌린게 시간이다.. 흘러가고 돌아오지도 않고..
omninmo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2349 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 08:05:18
May 31 2009 08:05 GMT
#9
in china the vast majority of guys all play some game or another.
i'd say 50% of girls under 30 play, have, had or will play games seriously.

when you tell them you play SC they are like.
"im too dumb to play that" -girls
"my hands are too slow" -guys
"i used to play that"
"that is a serious game. i dont have time."
"i used to play.. will play again when sc2 comes out"
"is SC2 out yet?"
wurm
Profile Joined October 2007
Philippines2296 Posts
May 31 2009 08:05 GMT
#10
Somebody: "Starcraft 2?"
Me: "No, Starcraft: Broodwar."
Somebody: "Oh, isn't that old? When is Starcraft 2 coming out?"
Me: O_o
I know where my towel is.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
May 31 2009 08:14 GMT
#11
On May 31 2009 16:43 Foucault wrote:
When I show girlfriends/female encounters VOD:s of hot progamers owning shit up in stadiums, they are like "why are you looking at chinese guys playing games?"


This.. I've heard that from at least 4 female persons. My girlfriend had basically no understanding but now she understands that it's a huge 'sport' and it's no different from taking interest in a traditional sport.

Most people in my class etc: They thing it's a good game (most of them) but think the graphics sucks etc.

It's quite popular with FFA bgh though and I arranged a tournament at a school LAN and two guys could play well, comparable to D+ so I had fun.

JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 08:42:14
May 31 2009 08:15 GMT
#12
Hahaha some of you are really lucky.

My friends who know tht i've been plying SC kept asking me about SC2. Every now and then, they go

"When is SC2 coming out?"


"Why dont you play SC2? i thought come out already?"

But SC2 is a new hope for me, if it is good, i can finally have fun with my RL friends together >_>
.. until they give up of course (fingers crossed). Most of my best RL friends are from DotA back then~

Bascically the most famous competitive game here now is DotA followed some FPS like CS or CoD.

I remember 1 more thing. Since i beat them in wc3 also they go

"No wonder you can micro like that lah! You micro a a lot when you play guitar also!"

Hahaha
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Gliche
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States811 Posts
May 31 2009 08:16 GMT
#13
"Star Trek? Oh, Starcraft...? What's that?"

The size of the online starcraft community masks just how few people in the world know of its existence. I usually end up just saying, "Nothing, just some random hobby I have." :/
KT fighting~!! | Designing things is fun!
lokiM
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3407 Posts
May 31 2009 08:30 GMT
#14
I hate telling people that i play sc, because the only thing they will talk about is sc2 or ask me sc2 related questions, and i'm not even at all excited about sc2 at all because i personally think it will fail(ofc i hope it doesn't) so it's hard to discuss anything sc related with them without bringing up sc2 i get the same questions as most people here though=\
You can't fight the feeling.
DoX.)
Profile Joined December 2008
Singapore6164 Posts
May 31 2009 08:33 GMT
#15
All my RL friends prefer 'flashy' games like war3 or L4D

When i try to introduce SC to them their like 'wtf its so hard......the graphics suck anyways play something else -.-'
ktp
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States797 Posts
May 31 2009 08:36 GMT
#16
"I play Stacraft"
"Shit nigga that old as game I'll kick your ass"
"Ok when do you make spawning pool?"
"With my 7th drone"
DeathSpank
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1029 Posts
May 31 2009 08:43 GMT
#17
On May 31 2009 17:15 JieXian wrote:
Hahaha some of you are really lucky.

My friends who know tht i've been plying SC kept asking me about SC2. Every now and then, they go

"When is SC2 coming out?"


"Why dont you play SC2? i thought come out already?"

But SC2 is a new hope for me, if it is good, i can finally have fun with my RL friends together >_>
.. until they give up of course (fingers crossed). Most of my best RL friends are from DotA back then~

Bascically the most famous competitive game here now is DotA followed some FPS like CS or CoD.

I remember 1 more thing. Since i beat them in wc3 also they go

"No wonder you can micro like that lah! You micro a a lot when you play guitar also!"

Hahaha

is it cs source or 1.6 that they're playing these days? I wanna get back into competitive fps.
yes.
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
May 31 2009 08:49 GMT
#18
On May 31 2009 17:43 DeathSpank wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2009 17:15 JieXian wrote:
Hahaha some of you are really lucky.

My friends who know tht i've been plying SC kept asking me about SC2. Every now and then, they go

"When is SC2 coming out?"


"Why dont you play SC2? i thought come out already?"

But SC2 is a new hope for me, if it is good, i can finally have fun with my RL friends together >_>
.. until they give up of course (fingers crossed). Most of my best RL friends are from DotA back then~

Bascically the most famous competitive game here now is DotA followed some FPS like CS or CoD.

I remember 1 more thing. Since i beat them in wc3 also they go

"No wonder you can micro like that lah! You micro a a lot when you play guitar also!"

Hahaha

is it cs source or 1.6 that they're playing these days? I wanna get back into competitive fps.


both are still quite popular on a competitive level.
ReCharge
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Philippines505 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-31 09:05:38
May 31 2009 08:53 GMT
#19
In the House:
Friend visiting
Friend: What's that?
Me: StarCraft
Friend: StarCraft 2?
Me: No.

then the next week, the same friend visits
Friend: What's that?
Me: StarCraft
Friend: StarCraft 2?
Me: No.

In Computer Shops: (w/ friends)
Me: Hey guys, Im gonna play starcraft for a while.
friend #1: Hey you know, me and #2 played that last week, he's very good
Me: Hey #2 game?
Friend #2: Your just gonna lose.
5 mins later
Me:
Friend #2: ....
Me: in my mind (STUPID BGH noob "NOTE: He is a complete noob, he makes 4 pylon ~_~" so Im not calling out the BGH players here.)

In Computer Shops (w/out friends)
Dota Player: Lol, starcraft noob
Me: game? Let play Starcraft
Dota Player: Lol, ok, but don't cry to your mom ok?
15 mins later (I take whole map, and HIS nat. maxed PROBES)
I attack
then...
Dota Player: Let's Play Dota, I never played SC before.
Me: ok
about an hour later
Me: Lol owned.
David Kim for Bonjwa!
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
May 31 2009 08:54 GMT
#20
man these korean kids keep telling me starcraft is old and they play dota. i tell them they're retards
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4189
Leta 2904
Soulkey 550
BeSt 487
Soma 302
Rush 197
Barracks 108
Killer 49
Shine 33
Shinee 30
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 27
Hm[arnc] 20
Sharp 10
Dota 2
Gorgc566
XcaliburYe245
League of Legends
JimRising 533
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Other Games
WinterStarcraft696
gofns250
Sick226
Pyrionflax116
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV219
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 48
• 3DClanTV 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2269
League of Legends
• Jankos2240
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 6m
Patches Events
6h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 6m
OSC
14h 6m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.