• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:08
CEST 17:08
KST 00:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9063 users

CSL article in the Harvard Crimson

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Peanutsc
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States308 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-18 20:53:25
March 18 2009 20:22 GMT
#1
I'm really happy about the fact that this article made it into the Harvard daily newspaper. I mean, I know it's no StarCraft class like Berkeley, but I definitely think it's time that more people realize the size and scope of the competitive/professional gaming phenomenon and how it can factor into daily life, especially in the West. I guess people could argue that it's still only a small part of the population that's into this stuff, or that only a small percentage of the population is composed of hardcore gamers, but I think having gaming leagues at the collegiate level bridges that gap nicely. A lot of people seem to have the impression that PC games are for crazy obsessed WoW-playing nerds and that on the other hand Wii and xbox gaming is just kind of a normal casual thing, but I don't think it is - it's all part of a trend in recreational entertainment. I hope stuff like the CSL and the UC Starleague get more press in college and mainstream media, because I think that's the best entry point for competitive gaming into the consciousness of people who think that playing on a sports team makes you normal but playing video games makes you a total nerd.

So if you're a college student and feel strongly about competitive and pro gaming, write an editorial and send it in! Let's get people excited!

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=527221
"You only get one life on this earth, Tasteless, and if you're not spending the majority of it playing StarCraft, I would argue that it might be wasted." "I couldn't agree more, Artosis."
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
March 18 2009 20:24 GMT
#2
this is not a good OP. Fix please.
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
March 18 2009 21:42 GMT
#3
Cool. I don't think there are enough people who play SC at UCR to do such a thing...even when we get together to practice, we call 'em nerd nights...lol.

Yeah.
Hello
hsidori
Profile Joined March 2006
United States116 Posts
March 18 2009 21:50 GMT
#4
this article kind of glosses over what CSL is, focusing instead on Korean eSports. not what i was expecting -_-

nonetheless, it's a good way to get the name out there
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
March 18 2009 22:03 GMT
#5
Very nice.
Super serious.
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
March 18 2009 22:12 GMT
#6
No mention of Voice of Esports LLC? Disappointing.
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
vAltyR
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States581 Posts
March 18 2009 22:36 GMT
#7
On March 19 2009 06:50 hsidori wrote:
this article kind of glosses over what CSL is, focusing instead on Korean eSports. not what i was expecting -_-

nonetheless, it's a good way to get the name out there


I agree, but it's a good start. They did call for write-ups of the starcraft matches when Harvard plays; hopefully this is the start of more attention to esports.
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
March 18 2009 23:33 GMT
#8
I still don't understand the CSL. As far as I can tell it's just some schools playing each other radndomly for fun, which is awesome, but isn't really a league. I hope Hazel can fill in the details.
Moderator
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
March 18 2009 23:47 GMT
#9
league -- n. a group of athletic teams organized to promote mutual interests and to compete chiefly among themselves

it's all like... organized and stuff =x
anotak
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1537 Posts
March 18 2009 23:50 GMT
#10
On March 19 2009 08:33 Chill wrote:
I still don't understand the CSL. As far as I can tell it's just some schools playing each other radndomly for fun, which is awesome, but isn't really a league. I hope Hazel can fill in the details.

it's a league they're playing roundrobin matches every week
G5
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2921 Posts
March 19 2009 00:26 GMT
#11
very nice peanut

harvard better fucking recognize!
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-19 00:28:15
March 19 2009 00:27 GMT
#12
On March 19 2009 08:33 Chill wrote:
I still don't understand the CSL. As far as I can tell it's just some schools playing each other radndomly for fun, which is awesome, but isn't really a league. I hope Hazel can fill in the details.


Some friends of mine have played in it, and it seems pretty organized...matches are at a regular time each week, reps are saved...not sure whether there's a playoff structure in the works, but the regular season is definitely extremely well-done in my experience.

Certainly more than schools playing "randomly for fun".
✌
404.Nintu
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada1723 Posts
March 19 2009 00:58 GMT
#13
Lets see how many Harvard students we can lure away from studies and into the loving embrace of mother starcraft.
"So, then did the American yum-yum clown monkey also represent the FCC?"
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
March 19 2009 01:15 GMT
#14
On March 19 2009 09:27 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 19 2009 08:33 Chill wrote:
I still don't understand the CSL. As far as I can tell it's just some schools playing each other radndomly for fun, which is awesome, but isn't really a league. I hope Hazel can fill in the details.


Some friends of mine have played in it, and it seems pretty organized...matches are at a regular time each week, reps are saved...not sure whether there's a playoff structure in the works, but the regular season is definitely extremely well-done in my experience.

Certainly more than schools playing "randomly for fun".

Oh wow okay my mistake. I had only heard of a few matches so obviously I didn't do my research.
Moderator
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
March 19 2009 01:19 GMT
#15
The CSL is retarded in the sense the games take place on Saturday nights generally. I've missed two weeks because I've gone out on Saturday nights, and last week I played my first game (won hehe), was first out of the 5 games, and left immediately after around 7:00 PM to go out.

I know it's hard because I'm on west coast thus east coast was 3 hours later, but still, I'm out at 10:00 PM on a sat night as well... sundays are so much better imo.
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
March 19 2009 01:35 GMT
#16
On March 19 2009 10:19 FabledIntegral wrote:
The CSL is retarded in the sense the games take place on Saturday nights generally. I've missed two weeks because I've gone out on Saturday nights, and last week I played my first game (won hehe), was first out of the 5 games, and left immediately after around 7:00 PM to go out.

I know it's hard because I'm on west coast thus east coast was 3 hours later, but still, I'm out at 10:00 PM on a sat night as well... sundays are so much better imo.


Sunday's are UCPL, so we could have done that. Sunday night is when everyone does homework as far as I can tell -_-;;

CSL has playoffs btw, they're next week I think.
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
nataziel
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Australia1455 Posts
March 19 2009 02:16 GMT
#17
I suppose it's on saturday because they assumed the people who would play in the league wouldn't even be going out anyway lol.
u gotta sk8
Elric
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1327 Posts
March 19 2009 02:27 GMT
#18
Wow.. I'm amazed how organised the CSL seems to be. The coverage (even if its only uni newspapers) is awesome. Good job CSL team~
liger13
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1060 Posts
March 19 2009 02:31 GMT
#19
haha... i really hope this grows

who knows...

it could get bigger than football or basketball
here's hoping
I feel like pwning noobs
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
March 19 2009 02:49 GMT
#20
On March 19 2009 11:31 liger13 wrote:
haha... i really hope this grows

who knows...

it could get bigger than football or basketball
here's hoping

lol SC should so become an NCAA sport
blabberrrrr
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem139
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 139
Railgan 93
trigger 40
IndyStarCraft 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52509
Shuttle 8822
BeSt 742
Horang2 536
actioN 226
Sexy 191
Larva 182
Soma 138
ggaemo 133
Last 121
[ Show more ]
Mind 101
Zeus 75
hero 64
Sea.KH 61
Hyun 52
Killer 48
Aegong 46
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 26
PianO 22
Rock 18
NaDa 12
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5269
qojqva2492
Dendi1395
420jenkins505
Fuzer 95
Counter-Strike
fl0m3350
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1125
Liquid`Hasu761
MindelVK2
Other Games
B2W.Neo910
Beastyqt686
Mlord464
byalli412
singsing282
Livibee212
Hui .201
ArmadaUGS194
KnowMe110
QueenE84
Mew2King54
CosmosSc2 33
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick760
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 43
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3094
League of Legends
• Nemesis3182
Other Games
• WagamamaTV222
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 52m
Replay Cast
7h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.