• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:39
CEST 17:39
KST 00:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7828 users

Brood War B-day

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-12 12:21:58
December 11 2006 16:03 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

It was November 30th 1998 the day it came out. We, or at least I, missed its b-day by a few days. Now StarCraft b-day was April 1st, 1998. How many year has it been since Brood War came out?

8 years!!

And StarCraft will be 9 years in a few month. For a few of us thats a little over 8 years of playing this game. I thought we might as well define today the exact meaning of old school for our community, at least so it means something to those few that can claim it.

Old school is someone that started playing this game from beta or the first year it came out.

Thats it. Final. Of course there are other definitions and we could sit all day and debate whether the next first "few" years qualifies you too as claiming the old school title or whether it is your game style etc.. but I personally will use it and will leave it for those that started playing at ground zero, i.e. beta and the first year.

If the community agrees then we can make it part of StarCraft folklore.

[image loading]

Poll: When did you start playing StarCraft?
(Vote): Ground Zero, beta player.
(Vote): First year, I am old School.
(Vote): PreReplay but not old School.
(Vote): Replay Generation
(Vote): This year! 2006

I have made similar polls before but I decided to divide it in the different generations: ground zero or old School, Pre-Replay, Replay generations. I guess we could even further the Replay generation pre- and post- BWChart but it would get messy and I do not think it had as huge as an impact as replays did.

"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Locked
Profile Joined September 2004
United States4182 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-11 16:09:38
December 11 2006 16:07 GMT
#2
i had PLAYED it in the first year it came out but that probably shouldn't count because i didn't actually buy it until a little bit after it came out (around 2000 i think, pre-replay)

then again I never even got into the 1v1 melee aspect of starcraft until even later, 2003-04 maybe


hell did i even get broodwar until 2002-03
possibly not >_>


btw i like your definition of true old-school, it fits well
UMS map pack http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=50442
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
December 11 2006 16:08 GMT
#3
God bless that wonderful day. I bought the game ONLY because I saw the Ultralisk on the back of the box. Same reason I got into War Hammer 40,000 (Carnifex/Hive Tyrant).

Wonderful game that I can honestly say has been enjoyable despite devouring my life for 9 years.
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-11 16:10:30
December 11 2006 16:08 GMT
#4
Of note. I am not old school myself. I started in 1999 - pre-replay generation. I wish though I had been there at ground zero. Anyway Happy B-day Brood War!
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
MuShu
Profile Joined March 2005
United States3223 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-11 17:34:43
December 11 2006 16:08 GMT
#5
I started playing online about when XellOs was in the WCG, so I guess I am from the replay generation. I remember when I didn't have a copy of SC so I downloaded the demo and battled it out on that preset map, with Terran being the only avaliable race. The strat that worked best for me was tank/turreting their cliff and mow down their base.
Highways
Profile Joined July 2005
Australia6122 Posts
December 11 2006 16:10 GMT
#6
2-3 years ago
#1 Terran hater
REAl4eVeR
Profile Joined March 2004
Germany187 Posts
December 11 2006 16:12 GMT
#7
2001 online
single player only before

so replay generation? or when did replays start?
Today is a good day to die......
psychosis
Profile Joined November 2006
Sweden107 Posts
December 11 2006 16:18 GMT
#8
I played it the first time the same year it came out. First singleplayer at a friends place and thought it seem horrible. Then I played a lot of Brood War on a LAN cafe with friends. Didn't buy the game until a bit later tho, because I had no computer to play it on at home.
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-12-11 16:35:25
December 11 2006 16:24 GMT
#9
http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0474p
Replays Started with patch 1.08
2001/05/18 (mind you it had been leaked out a few months before.)
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
December 11 2006 16:29 GMT
#10
Prerep, but that consisted of playing vs the comp with cheats In 2004 started to play online and seriously.
alffla
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Hong Kong20321 Posts
December 11 2006 16:36 GMT
#11
played the demo at first.. dont even remember when that was ><

i remember i kept playing the demo campaign over and over, with cheats, using mass vultures and rines and bats to kill the zerg comp's base lol
Graphicssavior[gm] : What is a “yawn” rape ;; Masumune - It was the year of the pig for those fucking defilers. Chill - A clinic you say? okum: SC without Korean yelling is like porn without sex. konamix: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!
Eduardo!!
Profile Joined December 2006
United States86 Posts
December 11 2006 16:38 GMT
#12
I'm old school, Used to play it in LAN wit friends all the time.. we were a whole bunch of little noobs
SlayerS_`Boxer` Fan
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
December 11 2006 16:47 GMT
#13
Started sometime in summer 1998, but only in the permanently installed LAN of my boarding school...

At first I hated how people were suddenly starting to play SC, because I was more into Age of Empires 1 at the time and wanted to play it instead. Standing behind the back of a friend watching him play SC I didn't understand shit, it looked very confusing to me. Since everyone else was playing it, I was kind of forced to play as well and so I did. Interesting to see how a game I didn't like at first became to be the main reason for my "online life" or whatever you may call it.

So, like I said, started maybe 2 months after the release, but at first only LAN. I think I played my first couple of online games in early 1999, but I'm not sure.

I also still remember playing with that leaked patch, which introduced replays
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Coulthard
Profile Joined September 2005
Greece3359 Posts
December 11 2006 16:49 GMT
#14
I started 3-4 years ago 1.10 patch,replay generation.
Happy bday SC
Texas
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Germany2388 Posts
December 11 2006 16:49 GMT
#15
I think I've played first games in 1998 on lan with friends, started online in 1999 when we got internet. 2 green with 64k speed.
Sky101
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States1758 Posts
December 11 2006 17:00 GMT
#16
I started playing after patch 1.08 came out.
Peter, Dang, pm me!!!
LemOn
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United Kingdom8629 Posts
December 11 2006 17:03 GMT
#17
Such a nostalgic feelings, I have started with 1.0 Starcraft when I was like 11. I have been playing 8player FFa with computers all the time for many many times, I spent like 200 hours ffing with comps, it was such a joy -_-

Than two or so years later in 1.04 I have started to play LAN 3v3's at internet cafe, later at high school, it was even better joy. later I used to play UMS stuff on 99% hacker server Ender...

And than I returned to bw two years ago in the replay era when I started to play 1v1's, found online friends and fell down to adoring the progaming scene and watch replays like a crazy man
Much is the father figure that I miss in my life. Go Daddy! DoC.LemOn, LemOn[5thF]
humblegar
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Norway883 Posts
December 11 2006 17:16 GMT
#18
I was playing TA a lot at the time, and going from TA to anything was hard.

But my Quake buddies kept playing SC and finally I tried some good multi games and TA was mostly a goner. I remember a pentium pro was required for smooth SC 3v3 on lans, P133 lagged just a little

This was back at college, and we had an almost illegal amount of fun. I managed to study at the same time, many did not. TA/SC was a great way to relax after our way too serious quake matches (Carnage Clan for those old enough to remember)

perLi is 2down
Profile Joined April 2006
United States533 Posts
December 11 2006 17:17 GMT
#19
replay generation. late 2001.
BalloonFight
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States2007 Posts
December 11 2006 17:31 GMT
#20
I got it in December of '98 for Christmas. I literally only played vs comps, UMS, or just fastest maps for 2 years. I took a break for a couple years, then started playing on and off. Started to 1v1 probably only a year and a half to two years ago.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1196
ComeBackTV 924
SteadfastSC909
TaKeTV 580
IndyStarCraft 175
Rex145
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 909
IndyStarCraft 193
Rex 151
ProTech130
BRAT_OK 31
MindelVK 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45775
Bisu 2224
Horang2 1094
EffOrt 979
Soma 618
Shuttle 597
Mini 457
BeSt 446
Light 426
Hyuk 386
[ Show more ]
Larva 344
ZerO 201
Rush 192
firebathero 78
Mong 66
Sea.KH 62
910 61
Snow 59
Pusan 53
Liquid`Ret 43
Sexy 39
Yoon 36
ToSsGirL 34
Trap 30
Aegong 25
Terrorterran 24
JYJ 24
Bale 23
Rock 16
Shine 13
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
Gorgc7933
qojqva1323
Counter-Strike
Fnx 829
fl0m336
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1406
Khaldor1203
Other Games
singsing1947
hiko1518
Beastyqt608
B2W.Neo436
Livibee205
Hui .181
ArmadaUGS149
Liquid`VortiX132
KnowMe116
XaKoH 113
Mew2King85
QueenE79
DeMusliM13
ZerO(Twitch)10
CosmosSc2 1
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile138
• poizon28 30
• StrangeGG 13
• Gemini_19 9
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 41
• Michael_bg 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3765
Other Games
• Shiphtur304
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 21m
CranKy Ducklings
18h 21m
Online Event
19h 21m
FEL
1d
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.