• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:44
CEST 02:44
KST 09:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7022 users

User suspended for uploading Sniper Ridge

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Xiphias
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway2223 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-10 20:09:51
April 10 2013 19:18 GMT
#1
I want to post this because I am mad at Blizzard and people need to hear about this. (and it's kinda funny in a weird way).

So a TL.net user, Kabel, who has created the MOD Starbow: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=304955 asked that I make a remake of the old BW map, Sniper Ridge: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Sniper_Ridge , so we could play that in our MOD.

Well, the middle of the map sure look like a large swastika and that was enough for blizzard to suspend Kabel from battle.net for 7 days. (He was the one who published the map)

Letter from blizzard:
+ Show Spoiler +
Action: 7 Day Suspension
Violation: Naming Policy - Racial/Ethnic/National
Map Name: Starbow - Sniper Ridge (Complaint)

This includes names with racial, ethnic, or national connotations.

This is a warning against the above behavior, which Blizzard deems unacceptable for StarCraft II.

In addition to this warning, your game licence has been issued a suspension as detailed above. Your game licence will not be available for play during this time.

As the account holder, you are responsible for the activity associated with this game licence. Further violations will result in harsher suspensions or permanent closure.


This was a map that was used in the 2011-2012 SK Planet Proleague Season 1. They don't know their own games anymore....

I guess I post this to make people aware of how little can get you suspended and that blizzard perhaps becomes aware of old BW - maps.

Edit: A picture of the remake:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Edit 2: Kabel's "appeal" and blizzards responce:

+ Show Spoiler +
Hello.

Today my account got suspended because I have a map uploaded called Snipers Ridge. It is an identical remake of an old popular BW map with the same name and layout. You can watch the original here: http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/maps/508_Sniper Ridge

I did not mean to express anything racial with this, nor did I intend to be hateful versus other ethnic groups or nationalities. It was just an old classic map I uploaded for me and my friends to play Starcraft on.

I would appreciate if my penalty can be removed, so I can get back on battle.net and play again.

If this can not be changed, can you atleast do me an other favor?

Please remove all uploaded maps and MOD-files on my account. I am working on a map project together with some other players, and since I am the uploader, no additional patches, updates or maps can be uploaded. (Since my account is locked.)

If the content is removed, then someone else in our mapping group can become the uploader instead, and thereby upload the latest updates for our project. In this way, my suspension will atleast not affect all other players who enjoy to play on the maps we create.

Thank you.


Here is their quick reply:

+ Show Spoiler +
Hey

Sorry I was not able to chat online with you about this account action

Following a review of your case, I can confirm that the evidence presented was correct, and that the subsequent action taken was appropriate. Our decision in this matter stands, and will not be overturned.

Please note, it is our policy never to reveal details regarding account investigations, beyond the information given in the original notice mail, for privacy and security reasons.

We now consider this matter closed, and would not look to enter into further communication on the matter.

I hope this has been helpful, and should you ever need help in future, feel free to make another ticket and I will do my best to be the one that replies

Regards,
Korethind
English Game Master Team
Blizzard Europe
aka KanBan85. Working on Starbow.
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
April 10 2013 19:21 GMT
#2
Wow, that's a shame. There's been a handful of maps with that on there no? I cant think of any right now but I feel like they exist. Hopefully the suspension gets reversed.
kingjames01
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada1603 Posts
April 10 2013 19:23 GMT
#3
Also, the swastika that the Nazis used rotated clockwise... So this doesn't even match!
Who would sup with the mighty, must walk the path of daggers.
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
April 10 2013 19:24 GMT
#4
As much as this topic might get out of hand with BLIZZARD SUCKSS ISN'T IN TOUCH WITH FANSSSS

I really doubt that the mod team that actually does this stuff follows BW, does the research and what not. They see a sign that looks like a swastika and that's why they suspended them. Simple as that.
grs
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Germany2339 Posts
April 10 2013 19:27 GMT
#5
The difference is, in sc2 if you upload a map to bnet, it is basically Blizzard's map. I can agree this is a bit overboard, but you can't compare the situation to bw.
kingjames01
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada1603 Posts
April 10 2013 19:28 GMT
#6
That's fine, but the swastika as a symbol predates the Nazis by thousands of years.

It's very unfortunate that in modern times, it was adopted by the Nazi Party, but it's been used all over the world to mean something completely different.

Once again, I'm going to point out that the swastika in that map has the opposite rotation from the one that the Nazis used, so the moderation was baseless and made out of ignorance.
Who would sup with the mighty, must walk the path of daggers.
suicideyear
Profile Joined December 2012
Ivory Coast3016 Posts
April 10 2013 19:29 GMT
#7
that looks more like a manji.
)))____◎◎◎◎█████
Hollandrock
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom158 Posts
April 10 2013 19:30 GMT
#8
That's a total joke. Hope blizzard sees this post some time soon and someone with some sense has a look at it...
Xylocaine
Profile Joined November 2010
France56 Posts
April 10 2013 19:30 GMT
#9
On April 11 2013 04:23 kingjames01 wrote:
Also, the swastika that the Nazis used rotated clockwise... So this doesn't even match!


I have really limited knowledge on the matter, but as far as I know, both configurations are frowned upon because, since the flags could be seen from both sides, both shapes got to be associated with the Nazi party.

Sucks for the mapmaker ;s goes to show how the customer support / GM's aren't necessarily the people who know the game the most lol
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
April 10 2013 19:31 GMT
#10
You should rewrite your OP to be less angry honestly.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
April 10 2013 19:34 GMT
#11
I am not sure why you expect Blizzard moderators to have a detailed knowledge of an eSport that is unpopular in the West.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
ZappaSC
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark215 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-10 19:36:18
April 10 2013 19:35 GMT
#12
I honestly think this is alright.
To the people who say that the swastika meant something else and so fourth: It does not matter. Now it is associated with the nazi party, and it will continue to be so.

The map looks like a huge swastika, BW or not, its not appropriate IMHO.

EDIT: alright to ban i mean, its only 7 days man.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
April 10 2013 19:36 GMT
#13
On April 11 2013 04:30 Xylocaine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2013 04:23 kingjames01 wrote:
Also, the swastika that the Nazis used rotated clockwise... So this doesn't even match!


I have really limited knowledge on the matter, but as far as I know, both configurations are frowned upon because, since the flags could be seen from both sides, both shapes got to be associated with the Nazi party.

Sucks for the mapmaker ;s goes to show how the customer support / GM's aren't necessarily the people who know the game the most lol

No, the nazi swastika rotates clockwise. That people frown upon anti clockwise ones (and the ones used in other cultures) is just ignorance. This guys' ban is a double fail by some employee but I imagine he could get his ban lifted.
I Protoss winner, could it be?
FromShouri
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States862 Posts
April 10 2013 19:36 GMT
#14
On April 11 2013 04:34 motbob wrote:
I am not sure why you expect Blizzard moderators to have a detailed knowledge of an eSport that is unpopular in the West.


Well if its a game you made and then tried to sue into oblivion...I would imagine someone would have too.
Limited Edition, lets do some simple addition, $50 for a T-Shirt is just some ignorant bitch shit.
hangarninetysix
Profile Joined August 2010
263 Posts
April 10 2013 19:37 GMT
#15
On April 11 2013 04:34 motbob wrote:
I am not sure why you expect Blizzard moderators to have a detailed knowledge of an eSport that is unpopular in the West.


Because people who actually care about what they do would typically take 5 minutes to look into something before suspending the account of a paying customer.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
April 10 2013 19:38 GMT
#16
On April 11 2013 04:35 ZappaSC wrote:
I honestly think this is alright.
To the people who say that the swastika meant something else and so fourth: It does not matter. Now it is associated with the nazi party, and it will continue to be so.

The map looks like a huge swastika, BW or not, its not appropriate IMHO.

EDIT: alright to ban i mean, its only 7 days man.

Maybe, but a ban is a bit excessive don't you think? It's just a mistake.
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
April 10 2013 19:38 GMT
#17
I fully agree with Blizzards decision.
Inimic
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada153 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-10 19:40:28
April 10 2013 19:38 GMT
#18
Blizzard scum doesn't deserve the IP rights to their franchise. They're sooooooo rude to their players and communities. This is really making it easier for me to ignore legacy of the void when it's released in 10 years.
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
April 10 2013 19:39 GMT
#19
Every time I see that map I think about how amusing it is that the high ground makes a swastika, pretty funny situation.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
SnowfaLL
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada730 Posts
April 10 2013 19:41 GMT
#20
typical blizzard really; I had my name banned on Europe before.. yes, this name, "SnowfaLL" - was banned as sexual content..
Favorites: Moon, Grubby, Naniwa, TAiLS, viOLeT, DongRaeGu
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2534
Artosis 719
White-Ra 96
910 47
Dota 2
monkeys_forever663
NeuroSwarm206
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv296
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe172
Other Games
summit1g8269
JimRising 601
shahzam564
C9.Mang0307
ArmadaUGS76
RuFF_SC223
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick799
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream335
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 121
• davetesta19
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 16m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 16m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.