|
IdrA has said for a long time that Terran players do not use ghost enough. Ever since then I have been trying to incorporate ghost into my play and I haven't found a solid answer. Now I'm not saying QXC was the first person to use Ghosts, i have seen TLO use them before.
QXC's recent appearance on MrBitter's 12 Weeks not only incorporated them into his play but made them look pretty damn scary and very logical to use. VOD + Show Spoiler +http://blip.tv/learn-from-the-pros-with-mr-b/the-next-12-weeks-week-4-tvz-with-qxc-5152225
Keys to using ghosts + Show Spoiler + -Throw down ghost academy when Hive morphs -Snipe over EMP. EMP is very hard to use and generally leaves your ghost vulnerable. -QXC talked about how if you try to snipe too fast, Your ghosts just won't snipe. -Broodlords have a priority over almost anything. If your opponent has Broodlord and Corruptor after you snipe all the infestors, your still in a bad spot. But if he just has Corruptor Infestor, then he can't push you and with tank support and you will control the game easier.
Keys to this overall build
+ Show Spoiler +-Aggressively scouting -2 Rax, Do not engage if speed first, pressure till about the 3rd marine gets to his base then leave.
-Re pressure as you get out hellions. IF you pressure gets completely wiped out and fails build more bunkers. Likely of a allin is very good. Start 3rd after hellions out and you being to pressure. Start first ebay before 3rd expo starts. Armory / Engenering after 10 minutes, with 3rd already done -Throw down ghost academy when Hive morphs
Replays + Show Spoiler +
i will be adding more to this thread as I play around more with this and Study the VOD more and more. For now it is just a "How to use ghost properly But i will be doing a longer more in-depth Thread about "Offensive Turtling-QXC Style"
|
This requires quite some micro to pull of, if you want to snipe Broods fast, AND make sure your Ghost don't die to fungal. I wouldnt try it in lower leagues. Im Mid masters and have troubles to pull it of. I think that BratOK was the first player to really use Ghost TvZ late game.
|
Once u have cloak you dont really need to worrie about fungal, u can just run in, snipe a couple broods and retreat, unless he has got an overseer ofc but you can snipe that aswell. U should add maybe some content about cloak
|
On May 19 2011 18:39 ScrubS wrote:Once u have cloak you dont really need to worrie about fungal, u can just run in, snipe a couple broods and retreat, unless he has got an overseer ofc but you can snipe that aswell. U should add maybe some content about cloak 
Your ghosts get revealed if they get fungaled, so it is still quite risky for a bunch of ghosts to dash in and out of the zergs face.
|
On May 19 2011 18:36 Diderick wrote: This requires quite some micro to pull of, if you want to snipe Broods fast, AND make sure your Ghost don't die to fungal. I wouldnt try it in lower leagues. Im Mid masters and have troubles to pull it of. I think that BratOK was the first player to really use Ghost TvZ late game.
BratOK did it but he didn't really incorperate it in his build he just... went Ghosts. This just kinda shows how to incorperate ghosts into your regular openings. Reason I actually decided to give this its own thread is because of how indepth qxc goes into why he uses ghost this way, and when he adds his gasses.
|
This hasn't happened for me, but can't you just nuke Broodlords? They're so slow i don't know if they can run away in time.
|
I think the best part of the strat is, that you put so much pressure on zerg, the whole game long. If zerg is left without pressure, they drone up, and get ahead in econ. I will definatly be using this QXC style. The games he plays looks quite entertaining as well, with battles and action all game long, instead of the usual bigass timing attack to end the game in one battle.
I agree, that it will come down to how good your micro is, for the ghost to be effective. Allthough, if there's alot of tanks and inf to support, combined with a good army spread, the fungals will bee less effective.
|
On May 19 2011 19:08 Kraelog wrote: This hasn't happened for me, but can't you just nuke Broodlords? They're so slow i don't know if they can run away in time.
Yeah, they can get away from a nuke with no problems.
|
On May 19 2011 19:08 Stonefarm wrote: I think the best part of the strat is, that you put so much pressure on zerg, the whole game long. If zerg is left without pressure, they drone up, and get ahead in econ. I will definatly be using this QXC style. The games he plays looks quite entertaining as well, with battles and action all game long, instead of the usual bigass timing attack to end the game in one battle.
I agree, that it will come down to how good your micro is, for the ghost to be effective. Allthough, if there's alot of tanks and inf to support, combined with a good army spread, the fungals will bee less effective.
Well yeah, but also you set up offesnive turtles which is really really what gets me about this build. Very genius.
On May 19 2011 19:08 Kraelog wrote: This hasn't happened for me, but can't you just nuke Broodlords? They're so slow i don't know if they can run away in time.
No Lol
|
|
|
I am only diamond but I have been trying to incorporate ghosts into TvT, once I have got good at sniping in TvT then I may try ghosts in TvZ. My problem is I dont like tank play much, so tend to rely on heavy Bio, which means I dont really have enough resources to safely start massing ghosts. I guess I should get some tanks from now on so I can dedicate more army to ghosts as my static defences will be a lot stronger. I wish you could shift click snipe without having to disable auto attack. It seems my ghosts just keep shooting their crappy attack even after I have queued up a huge bunch of snipes. I am not sure if I am doing it wrong=/ it seems a lot easier for protoss to storm and put down FF by shift clicking than it does for terrans to queue up snipes or EMP.
|
Back in beta / season 1, I made use of ghosts extensively in my TvZ as a replacement for marines. Ghost + marauder is extremely strong; snipe is very satisfactory for clearing out mutas and broods later with viking support, and your primary AtA attack is not susceptible to melting into green goo vs muta / bane. Keeping ghosts alive is a priority though as they are so expensive; it's very easy to fall way behind in army size by overcommitment to ghost production. Obviously, hellions are a solid complement for ling clearing power.
|
On May 19 2011 21:06 NuclearStar wrote: I am only diamond but I have been trying to incorporate ghosts into TvT, once I have got good at sniping in TvT then I may try ghosts in TvZ. My problem is I dont like tank play much, so tend to rely on heavy Bio, which means I dont really have enough resources to safely start massing ghosts. I guess I should get some tanks from now on so I can dedicate more army to ghosts as my static defences will be a lot stronger. I wish you could shift click snipe without having to disable auto attack. It seems my ghosts just keep shooting their crappy attack even after I have queued up a huge bunch of snipes. I am not sure if I am doing it wrong=/ it seems a lot easier for protoss to storm and put down FF by shift clicking than it does for terrans to queue up snipes or EMP.
Make sure you have your keyboard repeat settings in windows set to fastest/shortest possible settings. Then just hold R or E and you can spam pretty fast (I clicked as fast as I could), also find it helps to go in unit tester and practice snipes, you can snipe super fast after a little practice.
|
On May 19 2011 18:44 Hypemeup wrote:Show nested quote +On May 19 2011 18:39 ScrubS wrote:Once u have cloak you dont really need to worrie about fungal, u can just run in, snipe a couple broods and retreat, unless he has got an overseer ofc but you can snipe that aswell. U should add maybe some content about cloak  Your ghosts get revealed if they get fungaled, so it is still quite risky for a bunch of ghosts to dash in and out of the zergs face.
Just spread them out
|
quick question regarding micro: if you take your ghost control group, hold shift, hit your snipe hotkey (z for me since I use grid), and then spam left click on say, a broodlord, do your ghosts rapid fire snipe the target then? When I think about it I assume it would be the same as holdshift clicking your force fields out to have them all appear rapidly, but I still just hit Z click Z click Z click when it comes to snipe >_>
|
|
|
Yeah, spamming spells only really works well shift queue technique. You can also do shift + spam + move to EMP + retreat or Storm + retreat or Fungal + retreat etc for most any mana expensive task because they'll auto cancel when they run out of mana. Best technique for HSM or Turret spam for Ravens too.
You must train yourself to cancel orders via stop/hold position first. You may just want to do shift+click click click but it is essential you get the habit of canceling order first so you never end up in a situation where you shift + click after a move attack so your units end up face checking the brush LoL style. That's the hardest thing to remember for me anyway.
As for ghosts in general. Yeah they are insanely good right now, but that's because Zergs and Tosses even during the beta didn't know how to to deal with it before people found less micro-intensive unit compositions. Not to say that Ghosts won't stay in style but don't be surprised if their effectiveness drops off after a while.
|
On May 20 2011 01:03 vOdToasT wrote:Show nested quote +On May 19 2011 18:44 Hypemeup wrote:On May 19 2011 18:39 ScrubS wrote:Once u have cloak you dont really need to worrie about fungal, u can just run in, snipe a couple broods and retreat, unless he has got an overseer ofc but you can snipe that aswell. U should add maybe some content about cloak  Your ghosts get revealed if they get fungaled, so it is still quite risky for a bunch of ghosts to dash in and out of the zergs face. Just spread them out
thats still a 1 trick pony... once they realize u have cloak ghosts you wont get a 2nd chance to catch him off guard with cloak.
and ghosts are not "insanely" good, they're useful and thats about it. they have their role, but its not like you can mass ghosts early and it actually do anything good for the Terran army. a few mid/late game is good.
|
On May 20 2011 01:03 vOdToasT wrote:Show nested quote +On May 19 2011 18:44 Hypemeup wrote:On May 19 2011 18:39 ScrubS wrote:Once u have cloak you dont really need to worrie about fungal, u can just run in, snipe a couple broods and retreat, unless he has got an overseer ofc but you can snipe that aswell. U should add maybe some content about cloak  Your ghosts get revealed if they get fungaled, so it is still quite risky for a bunch of ghosts to dash in and out of the zergs face. Just spread them out 1 fungal killing 1 ghost is totally cost effective.
|
I'm gonna check this out. Thanks.
|
|
|
|
|
|